• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legacy of Kain: The Dark Prophecy/Blood Omen III (cancelled game)

ampere

I'll never get why you do this to yourself Mama.
I get bummed when I see all this greatness that is a canceled game, and I'm not even half as into the series as you are...

Cool art nonetheless

/sigh

Raide said:
I love and hate you in sequel measures.

At least its interesting to know what they were planning, right?

Wraith RazieL said:
To the OP, How you find this stuff is beyond me but, everytime you do, it makes me weep....

Amazingly, its been out on easy-to-find portfolio websites for years, its just been pieced together properly before.

ciaossu said:
I'll never get why you do this to yourself Mama.

I don't consider it an act of selfharm! I'm just a fan of the series and interested in the behind-the-scenes details. I'm happier knowing the details of the cancelled game rather than not knowing anything at all.

Beth Cyra

Mama Robotnik said:
Raziel's story is told, it ended was a perfect conclusion for the story arc and a magnificent moment of character development. Raziel's role was to be what Kain never can: A hero.

He should not start in any more games, it would cheapen the story greatly (as with Vorador in Blood Omen 2).

Maybe this is a problem for you and everyone else on the planet, but I couldn't careless to be honest.

I like Raziel and I don't like Kain, pretty simple. So I would like to see another game where I can play as Raziel.

As far as cheapening stories, there is no reason it has to cheapen it. Even if it did I really wouldn't mind.

vesp

I'd really love another Blood Omen 1 style game in the series. The Raziel games never really clicked with me though I played through most of em for the story/characters.

vesp said:
I'd really love another Blood Omen 1 style game in the series. The Raziel games never really clicked with me though I played through most of em for the story/characters.

This. While I loved all of the them, the original Blood Omen is far and away my favorite.

So sad :(

Blood Omen also remains my favourite, for the sheer scale of it. Soul Reaver is a close second.

Wow, my finds have made it onto the latest Screw Attack video, that's not happened before. Bluesnews also has picked up the story, referring to NeoGAF as a collective consciousness rather than individuals ("NeoGAF has materials on what they believe...")

If anyone else is intersted if further LOK discoveries, I've made some more overnight. They're more relevant to past titles in the series however.

Here are some newly-discovered screenshots of the cancelled version of Soul Reaver 2 for the Playstation 1/Dreamcast:

Urban04.jpg

Urban01.jpg

Here's a long-lost artwork for a Werewolf Vampire, and a cool steampunk Vampire Hunter, that never made it into Soul Reaver 1:

vamp031.jpg

hunter11.jpg

A piece of lost concept art from Shifter, a game that through development was overhauled into part of Legacy of Kain canon and became Soul Reaver. This is the character who became Raziel:

raz031.jpg

raz041.jpg

If anyone is interested I've discovered loads more too.

I'm interested. LoK is one of my favorite series and this is all fascinating, and sad.

I hope Eidos brings the series back. I mean, they're bringing back Deus Ex after all these year.

Incredible OP, nice work! I love all three LOK games (BO 1, 2 and Defiance). Nothing against the Soul Reaver games, but I just love Kain's character. This thread makes me both excited and sad :(.

Okay then:

(note - Ben Lincoln's The Lost Worlds is a treasure-trove of lost LOK content, and I've contributed more than once. The stuff I am posting are recent discoveries, which you won't find there at present.)

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Here is footage from the rarely-seen Sega Saturn version, which I believe the developers denied the existence of at one point. It was tucked away in a long-lost promo video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSu48hIsaFU#t=0m57s

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Screenshots of the Undercity, the area beneath the Human Citadel (where Raziel would have fought and defeated The Priestess boss and earned telekinesis). The level was excised entirely from the released version, which is a massive shame.

undercity1.jpg

undercity2.jpg

undercity3.jpg

undercity4.jpg

(the only shots known to exist in the public were the tiny thumbnails scanned from an obscure magazine, at least until yesterday when I discovered the above).

The excised brother, Turel (who executed Raziel along with Dumah), as he would have appeared as a boss in Soul Reaver until he was cut.

bossa011.jpg

bossa021.jpg

turel3.jpg
turel2.jpg

Concept art of an unknown female vampire race, an idea that wasn't carried far into development. Their faces seem to fall off (perhaps in combat), and with this they lose their last human traits and become bestial.

vamp011.jpg

vamp021.jpg

A winged devolved vampire, possibly a Razielim (a member of Raziel's clan that has suffered devolution). This is what Raziel would have become if Kain hadn't executed him.

wingedvamp.jpg

More long lost concept art of "The Foresaken", Vampire Hunters. Perhaps they were called this because they were forsaking their lives to protect the last surviving humans.

hunter21.jpg

gears1.jpg

hunter011.jpg

Some demons, cut early from the game development. They foreshadow the heavy demonic presence in Soul Reaver 2.

monstr31.jpg

monstr21.jpg

monstr11.jpg

monstr011.jpg

Digging out the rest now, bear with me.

Shifter (later Soul Reaver)

Shifter is the Crystal Dynamics game that was overhauled to become part of the Legacy of Kain canon. These are the (mostly) long-lost sketches of the nameless protagonist and antagonist, who following the overhaul would become Raziel and Kain.

Protagonist:

raziel011.jpg

shifter31.jpg

shifter11.jpg

raziel041.jpg

raz061.jpg

shiftr141.jpg

raziel071.jpg

body011.jpg

raz021.jpg

Antagonist (unknown what his name was going to be before the game became part of the LOK-canon)

kain053.jpg

kain052.jpg

kain041.jpg

kain021.jpg

kain011.jpg

The following are high-quality textures for the murals in Soul Reaver. As you can imagine, they were massively reduced in quality in the actual game.

Lord Kain

muralkain.jpg

Devolved Melchiah

muralmelchiah.jpg

Ancients

muralangel.jpg

muralangel2.jpg

Possible vampire cocooning?

flesh.jpg

The canon describes vampires as entering a coccon-state when undergoing their devolution, I think the above is a depiction of that. The humanoid vampire transmogrifying into a Zephonim (spider/insect vampire).

Still digging out the rest, will post when it is sorted.

Bit of a bump because of a late discovery:

Frank Pierce worked at Ritual during Blood Omen 3's development. He's got this screenshot in his Ritual design+work portfolio which is very interesting:

0001.jpg

Zoom in:

zoomedin.jpg

Its Raziel.

I've asked Eidos Forums and Nosgothic Realm forums, they all agree its a textureless Raziel model based on his Defiance design. Since Frank never worked at Crystal Dynamics, and on any game starring Raziel, the explanation we have is that Raziel had some role/appearance/cameo/return in Blood Omen 3.

Considering what happened last time we saw Raziel, its difficullt to imagine under what circumstances his return was planned.

Great shot. Maybe Raziel is in some kind of world
inside the reaver sword?
or maybe it was never anything. That's the best I can think of.

BobTheFork said:
Great shot. Maybe Raziel is in some kind of world
inside the reaver sword?
or maybe it was never anything. That's the best I can think of.

Most of the Kain-related forums seem to be going with the idea that it could be a flashback or part of the tech-demo process. As interesting as an idea as a world in the Reaver is (and given the thousands it has taken its an idea I like), I still think any
release of the character
would cheapen the choice made at the end of Defiance.

I really think Raziel's story ended on a perfect full stop.

Its a very early screenshot regardless, the model is untextured and the bridge is very basic, hardly the usual LOK-style ornate architecture. So unless I can find more material, I guess we'll never know.

Sorry for the bump, but its probably not worth a new thread.

A recent discovery: these screenshots are on the Behance gallery of Isabelle Lemay, who was senior artist at Crystal Dynamics during the LOK games production. The screens are labelled as being as from Defiance, but as anyone who has played game will know, this is not a location in that game. Given that anyone who worked on the cancelled game is strictly not allowed to disclose it, I suspect there is a chance they are from Dark Prophecy / Blood Omen 3.

pillars1.jpg

pillars2.jpg

As anyone familiar with the franchise may realise, these are screens of ground zero at the Piillars of Nosgoth collapse, the pivotal moment which the series circles around, and one we never actually see in any of the games. I thought that was worth the bump.

With Eidos reviving Deus Ex and Thief I'm beginning to believe a new entry in the Legacy of Kain series may be a possibility a few years from now.

Thanks, Mama Robotnik always interesting....and painful :(

Discotheque said:
With Eidos reviving Deus Ex and Thief I'm beginning to believe a new entry in the Legacy of Kain series may be a possibility a few years from now.

Hey, at least Raziel and Kain are in Lara Croft:GoL as DLC characters!!....that may be mean something!!!

Gribbix

Mama Robotnik said:
As anyone familiar with the franchise may realise, these are screens of ground zero at the Piillars of Nosgoth collapse, the pivotal moment which the series circles around, and one we never actually see in any of the games. I thought that was worth the bump.
It's always neat to see discarded content from the series.

Awesome, I'm always excited to see the bumps in this thread as well as the disappointed and have a crashing feel when I realize it will never be. :'(

Salazar

Discotheque said:

I am so excited, yet so nervous, about this.

Ifrit

Got excited when I started reading the thread title

Anyways, those are some great findings Mama Robotnik, keep them coming

Relaxed Muscle said:
Hey, at least Raziel and Kain are in Lara Croft:GoL as DLC characters!!....that may be mean something!!!

Each of the CD Tomb Raider games has homages to the Legacy of Kain series in them, with the DLC being the most direct example. I read it as Crystal Dynamics wanting to continue their greatest series, but due to circumstances and publisher will, have devote all resources to work on Tomb Raider game after Tomb Raider game.

Crystal used to have multiple teams on multiple projects, I wonder if they still follow that model?

Glad you guys don't mind the bumps, I'll keep posting what I find!

MattyH said:
how well do the LoK Games hold up today well with windows 7

Over at thelostworlds.net, Ben Lincoln has all the patches you'll need to run Soul Reaver 1,2, Defiance and Blood Omen 2. There's also a patch for BO1 which I've had mixed success with - the game really struggles with modern machines.

I'd recommend either - playing Blood Omen 1 using a Playstation emulator (extra benefit of this is that the PS1 version is not as rare as the PC version).

Alternatively, wait for Blood Omen 3D to be complete:

1.jpg

omnicide000018.jpg

omnicide000021.jpg

omnicide0000100.jpg

Yeah, as with most projects of this nature they rarely get finished, but their demo is bloody impressive and fully recreates the first portion of the game.

maniac-kun said:
How about a reboot of the Legancy of Kain series? Start again at Blood Omen 1!

I'd oppose a reboot, because I know they'd change too much. A remake like the one above, would be nice, but I'd oppose any deviation to the story. The events of Blood Omen are all significant to the future games and are referred to continuously.

My ideal would be a distant continuation. When Soul Reaver came out, it was a thousand years distant to the events of Blood Omen, and could be jumped into by players new and old. It was a new world in the remains of an old one. As we progressed, more and more links to the world of Blood Omen were shown. It was a game world and story that didn't depend on its predecessor, but did build on it.

The next LOK could be set another thousand years into the future. With Kain gone, his Empire abandoned, someone else could fill the power vacuum. Be they human, Hylden, or something else entirely. Either way, Kain overshoots his time-travel back to Nosgoth's future and emerges in a world different to his own, but built on its ruins. Said would could be a return to the medieval themes of Blood Omen, or some sort of demonic hiveworld, there are numerous possibilities.

I like to think such an idea would be more inclusive and appealing to a new audience, than a direct continuation of Defiance.

ajim

Wow. Just want to congratulate you on a fucking amazing thread. A lot of stuff in here gets me so erect its sad.

Wish the games would continue :(

Top Bottom