• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legal leaders discuss challenges of Trump presidency at NAACP convention panel

KSweeley

This article reports that legal leaders are discussing the challenges of the Trump presidency at the ongoing NAACP convention in Baltimore: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-ci-naacp-sunday-20170723-story.html

July 23, 2017

President Trump's election integrity commission is what keeps Kristen Clarke up at night. For Thomas Saenz, the issue on the front-burner is immigration enforcement.

Fatima Goss Graves and Sarah Warbelow say it's impossible to pick just one issue from the first six months of the Trump administration that worries them most.

These four panelists, all leaders of various legal teams, discussed their strategies for dealing with Trump's presidency as part of the NAACP's Continuing Legal Education seminar Sunday. The nation's oldest civil rights organization is holding its national convention in Baltimore through Wednesday.

Breaking with tradition, Trump declined an invitation to speak at the 108th annual convention. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that though he declined the invitation, ”certainly the invitation for dialogue with that group would happily take place and we'd certainly like to continue to do that."

”But there is some good news," Berry said. ”Some of that good news is what happens when we stand and fight."

This is an unprecedented effort to roll out and push voter suppression policies and laws on a national scale. It is one of the most dangerous threats to democracy that we've seen in modern times,"Clarke said. ”We're going to fight tooth and nail until we shut this commission down."

Graves, president of the National Women's Law Center, said her organization is pushing to educate people about the impact of Republican plans to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. Once people know what the healthcare plan would actually do, Graves said, it is deeply unpopular.

For black women in particular, this heathcare repeal plan is just devastating," she said.

Within the Latino community, Trump's rhetoric has sowed ”unprecedented levels of fear and confusion," said Saenz, president and general counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.

And for those who identify at LGBT, there is concern about ”excessive amounts of discrimination," said Warbelow, the Human Rights Campaign's legal director.

After an hour of slamming Trump's policies, Berry challenged the panelists to name one bright spot from the administration's first six months.

”I hesitate to call it bright spot, but the bright spot in my mind is the incompetency of the administration, which has limited what bad things they've been able to accomplish," Saenz said to applause. ”There's a daily battle of which will get more attention: the inhumanity or the incompetence. ... I'm happy when the incompetence wins."

Breaking with tradition, Trump declined an invitation to speak at the 108th annual convention. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that though he declined the invitation, “certainly the invitation for dialogue with that group would happily take place and we’d certainly like to continue to do that.”
Pussy

Zolo

Breaking with tradition, Trump declined an invitation to speak at the 108th annual convention. White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that though he declined the invitation, “certainly the invitation for dialogue with that group would happily take place and we’d certainly like to continue to do that.”
The thinnest skin.

Syriel

This site has a paywall, what about people who can't read the article because of the paywall???

The site has a paywall because people expect to get paid for their work.

You can use key quotes, and fill in the rest yourself. People who want to read the whole thing can click on the link and pay for it.

Apply your thinking to games, and it doesn't sound very good.

"This game is behind a paywall, what about people who can't play the game because of the paywall???"

In both cases it is copyright infringement.

The site has a paywall because people expect to get paid for their work.

You can use key quotes, and fill in the rest yourself. People who want to read the whole thing can click on the link and pay for it.

And same go for general articles - clicking through to the article gives ad revenue, site traffic, etc.

What do you mean by worse form? I'm not good with social skills.

See Syriel's post.

Shauni

There's a part of me that wants to say something here, but I fear it will be taken the wrong way so I am going to refrain. All I say is that I hope everyone who decided to refrain from voting in the last election realize now that isn't an option in '18 and '20.

There's a part of me that wants to say something here, but I fear it will be taken the wrong way so I am going to refrain. All I say is that I hope everyone who decided to refrain from voting in the last election realize now that isn't an option in '18 and '20.

I mean, you can say that Clinton had lower black turnout than Obama. That's just numbers, and everyone expected it, anyway. However, if you broach that subject, you should also remember that voter suppression laws specifically target African Americans. In Wisconsin alone, I believe 200,000 black voters couldn't vote - a large enough number to deny Hillary a victory. That probably had a larger effect despite the lower turnout.

I would hope, however, that everyone, especially minorities, feels motivated to vote next year. I know my gay ass will be more eager than ever.

I hope also that we can mitigate voter suppression and its targeting of minority voters.

bionic77

Either we are going to go full fascist shit hole or the people will resist and this will be a very ugly ass speed bump on our slow and difficult road towards tolerance and progressive values.

Don't ask me what is going to happen though. America jumped the shark in the last election and I have no feel for the government anymore. We are in the Tyson zone now.

Syriel

What do you mean by worse form? I'm not good with social skills.

He means don't post full articles in an OP.

If you post an article, chose a few excerpts and then post some text about it that you wrote, along with a link to the original piece.

If you feel the need to post a full article and don't have anything to say, don't post. Let someone else make the thread.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Read: Trump would be glad to have a private meeting at the White House right after he gets a nice photo op of him with minorities.

If you post an article, chose a few excerpts and then post some text about it that you wrote, along with a link to the original piece.

If you feel the need to post a full article and don't have anything to say, don't post. Let someone else make the thread.

I really wish more people took that advice.

This place feels like an RSS feed sometimes.

Shauni

Either we are going to go full fascist shit hole or the people will resist and this will be a very ugly ass speed bump on our slow and difficult road towards tolerance and progressive values.

Don't ask me what is going to happen though. America jumped the shark in the last election and I have no feel for the government anymore. We are in the Tyson zone now.

Well, yes and no. As unconventional as Trump is as a human being, much less a President, a conservative backlash was pretty in line with the history of the country. Every time we have had a major bout of social progress, there have been a huge push back which often ended up with a government hostile to civil rights and/or authoritarian-leaning like in the case with Nixon. So, we have been here before. Maybe not exactly here, but this is, unfortunately, a part of America we seem bound to repeat until the country breaks one way or the other.

I mean, you can say that Clinton had lower black turnout than Obama. That's just numbers, and everyone expected it, anyway. However, if you broach that subject, you should also remember that voter suppression laws specifically target African Americans. In Wisconsin alone, I believe 200,000 black voters couldn't vote - a large enough number to deny Hillary a victory. That probably had a larger effect despite the lower turnout.

I would hope, however, that everyone, especially minorities, feels motivated to vote next year. I know my gay ass will be more eager than ever.

I hope also that we can mitigate voter suppression and its targeting of minority voters.

Right, and that was one of the reasons I chose to not really say what I was going to say, because it is a more nuisanced issue than a simple statement.

Top Bottom