• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra Book 2 HYPE Thread (Book 1 & 2 Spoilers inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

So my friend just informed me that this is being animated by Studio Pierrot instead of Mir, but they are overseeing it.

I'm sure that's probably been discussed in this thread already, but man, that really sucks.

I'm not going to lie, I didn't like season 1 at all, but at least I could say it had nice animation for the most part.

Season 2 is going to be interesting.
The team B of Mir was pretty bad

Woohoo post 1k

Phew, glad to hear that Mir will be animating all of Book 3 and 4. The drop in animation/art quality in certain scenes in the new commercial is really obvious. Mir's work on Korra (and season 3 of Avatar) makes Studio Pierrot look like amateurs in comparison.

The Legend of Korra: Book Two - Spirits |OT| Yue've Kohtta Be Shi-Tong Me!

Fixed for greater accuracy, lol

LOL, can't believe I missed that one. Bravo.

EDIT: Here we go again!

The Legend of Korra: Book Tui - Spirits |OT| Yue've Kohtta Be Shi-Tong Me![

I'm of the opinion that Mako will either A) Become a Zuko (in terms of likeability and character development or B) Get far, FAR worse.

Until proven otherwise, Option B is probably the most likely.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm of the opinion that Mako will either A) Become a Zuko (in terms of likeability and character development or B) Get far, FAR worse.

Until proven otherwise, Option B is probably the most likely.

Or the unlikely Option C: he gets killed off, so we can all move on.

Oh how I wish there was an Option C.

Veelk

Banned
Option D: Korra and Mako (amicably) broke up between seasons. They can work together without any friction, but are completely uninterested in each other romantically. This is briefly explained/shown and their shipping is never remarked upon agian.

Nothing would enrage the shippers harder.

Mononoke

Banned
Option D: Korra and Mako (amicably) broke up between seasons. They can work together without any friction, but are completely uninterested in each other romantically. This is briefly explained/shown and their shipping is never remarked upon agian.

They would still need to do a lot of work to fix his personality.

Veelk

Banned
They would still need to do a lot of work to fix his personality.

They're clearly trying, making him a police officer.

It seems to me that firebenders would be a HORRIBLE choice as police. Earthbenders are great because they can restrain the criminals in 2 ways, earth and metal, plus they manipulate the environment making them effective trappers. Waterbenders would be nice too, they'll freeze enemies in place. Airbenders I don't see being as good, but they are the most agile of the 4, so they can make good trackers. Firebenders though? Fire pretty much exclusively destroys. I can't imagine the amount of burn victims that will result from this...

Mononoke

Banned
Something else that is interesting, is the fact that creators/producers Bryan Konietzko Michael Di Martino wrote almost all of Book One. Whereas in TLA, they had a writing team, and took more traditional showrunner roles. They of course, wrote some of the bigger finale stuff. But it makes you wonder if maybe they are better idea men, and aren't as good when it comes to writing an entire story front to back.

I know for Book 2, they brought back some writers from TLA, and one of them wrote most of the best episodes in the series. So maybe splitting up the writing duties will also be another factor that could make Book 2 better.

Something else that is interesting, is the fact that creators/producers Bryan Konietzko Michael Di Martino wrote almost all of Book One. Whereas in TLA, they had a writing team, and took more traditional showrunner roles. They of course, wrote some of the bigger finale stuff. But it makes you wonder if maybe they are better idea men, and aren't as good when it comes to writing an entire story front to back.

I know for Book 2, they brought back some writers from TLA, and one of them wrote most of the best episodes in the series. So maybe splitting up the writing duties will also be another factor that could make Book 2 better.
They need Aaron and Elizabeth Ehasz back.

Mononoke

Banned
They need Aaron and Elizabeth Ehasz back.

Yeah, but I still have hope. I didn't find all of Book One bad. So my hope is that, on top of them getting all the feedback from fans + acquiring one of the best writers of TLA to help out, this will be improvement this season. Although honestly, at this point I feel like if you absolutely hated every aspect of Book One (I mean, if you just 100% loathed everything about it), I have a hard time believing that Book 2 will turn it around for those people.

Mononoke

Banned
Don't mean to bump this, but some new news:

- The Legend of Korra premiere on Sept 13th will be both Episodes 1 + 2 back to back (so 1 hour premiere).

- The first 6 episode titles are now out. And they are as follows:

Episode 1: Rebel Spirit *
Episode 2: Southern Lights * (Both * are airing on Sep 13th).
Episode 3: Civil Wars Part 1
Episode 4: Civil Wars Part 2
Episode 5: Beginnings Part 1
Episode 6: Beginnings Part 2

- Episodes 5 and 6 will be about
Wan (the first Avatar)

So we know the first half of Book 2 will focus on Civil Wars + The very first Avatar. Interesting that the first half of the season is loaded with two part episodes, and possibly big events.

Mononoke

Banned
Thanks for the info.
Civil War between who? Probably water tribes.

Yeah I'm guessing there will be a big war between the Northern and Southern Water tribe (Korra's father vs. his brother). Now, whether this story is throughout the entire book, remains to be seen.

Yeah I'm guessing there will be a big war between the Northern and Southern Water tribe (Korra's father vs. his brother). Now, whether this story is throughout the entire book, remains to be seen.

I do wonder how since both of them are on opposite sides of the world

Mononoke

Banned
I do wonder how since both of them are on opposite sides of the world

That's a good point. Maybe the Civil War is just within the Northern Tribe, like infighting among the people and the establishment - Korra's Uncle. I suppose that Civil Wars Part 1 and 2 could also be about setting up the conflict, and then the actual war taking place by the end of Book 2 (the finale). So Civil Wars Part 1 & 2 isn't actual fighting, but just setting up why they are going to go war.

AoM

Don't mean to bump this, but some new news:

- The Legend of Korra premiere on Sept 13th will be both Episodes 1 + 2 back to back (so 1 hour premiere).

- The first 6 episode titles are now out. And they are as follows:

Did Nick officially say this or was it from another source?

Mononoke

Banned
Did Nick officially say this or was it from another source?

Was from Nick and More who I've been told in this thread by fellow members that they are a legit source + the fact that they have been right about everything so far (the episode titles etc.). I guess they were also 100% right about everything during Book One.

I believe the site has access to the TV Guide/ Scheduling data or something, and so they know ahead of time what is going to be on TV. Here is a second source though:

Futon Critic Confirms 2 Part Premiere

Futon Critic lists 2 episodes on September 13th, and then consecutive week single episodes through October 4th. So here’s what we’re looking at for Korra through Oct 4th:
September 13th: Rebel Spirit & The Southern Lights
September 20th: Civil Wars, Part 1
September 27th: Civil Wars, Part 2
October 4th: Episode 5

Beyond that Korra will likely continue airing on consecutive weeks, but the schedule does not go that far out currently.

Also of note is the production numbers for these episodes are listed as 113, 114, 115, 116, and 117. Even though Book 2 is a separate season production wise, it is technically an extension of the first season according to Nick, leading to these production numbers.

http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/58929751076/futon-critic-confirms-2-part-premiere

and

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/legend-of-korra/listings/

But yeah, like all things that aren't directly from Nick, take with a grain of salt.

Shags

Banned
From Reddit:
All the little details: never noticed the similarity between these scenes before!
xzKoIS4.jpg
Also commented:
Not to mention the symbolism inherent in the hole itself. When she was a child, she made a perfectly circular hole, like her perfectly innocent soul. Later, she has been tainted by anger, jealousy, arrogance and a loss of confidence, making the new hole jagged and more violent.

Found it interesting.

Mononoke

Banned
Please tell me the words on that GIF aren't real dialogue?

Because if so....

-__________-

Here we fucking go again with this dumb shit.

Oh god, I have to take back what I said earlier. My friend was watching this, and I actually heard this line said (I missed it when I first saw the episode due to shitty audio).

:(

Joeytj

Banned
Oh god, I have to take back what I said earlier. My friend was watching this, and I actually heard this line said (I missed it when I first saw the episode due to shitty audio).

:(

Ah, well, that line was a huge hit at the Episode 1 premier in Comic-Con. The room filled with cheers at it. You guys are mostly just suffering from extreme nervousness. Every little thing will be hyper scrutinized and, because of your negative opinions about Book 1, will probably not enjoy things from Book 2 that, otherwise, are completely fine. I saw the Episode, and it is funny, especially together with the rest of the dialogue in that scene.

I'm very much looking forward to Bolin's character in the next book, especially judging from the "Republic City Rumble" mini-series so far. Mako and Bolin's interactions are much better than in Book 1 so far, and gives me hope for Book 2.

It was probably a "hit" because shippers and fangirls are the loudest people at comic con (still remembers fangirls bansheeing it up when Katara hugged Zuko in the final season 3 trailer)

Omikaru

Hi guys, sorry I've been away for a bit. Super busy. But I've been given more free time than I anticipated, so I'm going to get cracking on the OT this weekend. Hopefully I will be posting the OT on September 6th or September 7th, which is roughly one week before the airdate of episode one.

Any more OT subtitle suggestions are welcome, but I'll be taking a good look at the ones posted already tonight.

Also, if anyone has any general suggestions for the OT, that'd be super helpful. I'm trying to keep it relatively simple as I don't want to have a bloated information overload thing. Just a snappy OP that people can refer to for important pre and post-broadcast information including links to legal streams and the spoiler policy. Here's my very rough plan of things to do (this isn't necessarily the order they will be placed in the OT, just what needs doing):

1. Banners (main banner and sections too, perhaps?)
2. ATLA/Legend of Korra Book One summary/info
3. Book Two info and official media (trailers, artwork, character/cast info, and so on)
4. Episode List/Broadcast times/links to legal post-broadcast streams
5. Spoiler policy
6. Legal catch-up information for ATLA and LoK Book One for multiple regions

Any other suggestions? Take in mind I don't want to bloat this out since this is not a promotional page for the series. I'm looking at the recent Breaking Bad OT and last year's OT for Korra as a guideline of where to go: useful information that's easy to find, and presented in a spoiler-free manner.

As an aside, while I can handle most of this myself if necessary, if anyone wants to help with the banners it'd save me some time. But I don't want anything elaborate or OTT, mind, so don't think you need to do something to the level of MGS4 OT. Just 30 minutes of someone's time to put together something that's not ugly and not too big/elaborate. If no one steps up, I can do this myself. Also, be sure to PM me before you do anything, as I'd hate for two people to send me banners. Ask first!

I'd also like it if people from different regions could dig up links or information about legal ATLA and Korra Book One streams/downloads/DVD & BR releases for the country you reside in. Since I'm UK-based I can handle most of that end, but a lot of stuff in other countries is region locked and I've never been successful at circumventing them personally.

If you can help with anything, a PM would be much appreciated. Be sure to post suggestions in this thread. Anyone who helps will of course be thanked at the end of the OT. :)

Omikaru

wow this premieres in two weeks? fucking rad. now i know what it was like to wait between books for the last airbender.

Apparently that was much worse. At least with Korra we're getting clear breaks between seasons, rather than cliffhangers that went unresolved for a very long time.

I was only really remember the book 2 to book 3 wait. It was actually less time than Korra.

But then they took a long break after Day of Black Sun. I remember that people were desperate for new episodes, Canada managed to air The Western Air Temple and The Firebending Masters right after DoBS while the U.S. had to wait. After that it was a couple of months and a shady site that will not be named had a user who got a hold of the Book 3 Volume 3 DVD, which had the Canadian premiered episodes as well as the never before seen Boiling Rock eoisodes. The guy managed to rip the DVD on his own and everyone got to see Boilng Rock.

And then began the long wait till July 2008. That's when Nickelodeon decided to air the epusodes the US had not gotten yet along with the final set of episodes. Was a crazy freaking week which ended with Sozins Comet on the Friday that The Dark Knight came out on. I'll never forget that day, probably the most mood whiplashy day ever seeing The Dark Knight at midnight, watching Sozins Comet in the evening and then finding out that my aunt died and having to drive to Montreal in the middle of the night.

Ah memories.

Mononoke

Banned
Ah, well, that line was a huge hit at the Episode 1 premier in Comic-Con. The room filled with cheers at it. You guys are mostly just suffering from extreme nervousness. Every little thing will be hyper scrutinized and, because of your negative opinions about Book 1, will probably not enjoy things from Book 2 that, otherwise, are completely fine. I saw the Episode, and it is funny, especially together with the rest of the dialogue in that scene.

I'm very much looking forward to Bolin's character in the next book, especially judging from the "Republic City Rumble" mini-series so far. Mako and Bolin's interactions are much better than in Book 1 so far, and gives me hope for Book 2.

I personally don't have an issue with it. I was just making the sad face, since he thought it was awful and I was wrong about it. I thought it was funny the way Aubrey Plaza said it (you know, in her usual dead pan way).

Anyway, here is some more info. Yes, the Sept 13th premiere will air Episodes 1 and 2 back to back. It's a one hour premiere. This has been confirmed now. Secondly, the summaries of the first four episodes have been posted to TV guide. They obviously contain spoilers, so I'll spoiler tag them:

Rebel Spirit: 9-13-13

Korra struggles to find a deeper connection to the spirit world.

The Southern Lights: 9-13-13

Korra and Chief Unalaq find a source of great spiritual power

Civil Wars: Part 1: 9-20-13

Korra tries to remain neutral as tensions flare between the Northern and Southern Water Tribes.

Civil Wars: Part 2: 9-27-13

Korra must fight for her parents' freedom when they are wrongfully arrested.

Peacekeepers: 10-4-13

AoM

Civil Wars: Part 2: 9-27-13

Korra must fight for her parents' freedom when they are wrongfully arrested.

I guess either Unalaq or the United Forces are behind this because those two are the only ones I can think of who have the authority to do something like arrest the Avatar's parents. If the former, why would Unalaq arrest his brother and his brother's wife?

Mononoke

Banned
Not a huge update, but Episode 5 is NOT
the two part Avatar Wan episode "Beginnings Part 1 & 2". Episode 5 is actually called "Peacekeeprs".

I updated my post above that has the first 5 episode titles + the first 4 episode summaries.

I guess either Unalaq or the United Forces are behind this because those two are the only ones I can think of who have the authority to do something like arrest the Avatar's parents. If the former, why would Unalaq arrest his brother and his brother's wife?

Sounds about right.
From what I gather, Unalaq believes the Water tribes have fallen too far away from the spiritual world. He's basically an extremist, who is very religious/spiritual and wants the tribes to get back to those roots. Korra's father (Unalaq's brother) and his brother have always had tension over this, and the Southern tribe in general believes that the physical and spiritual should be kept separate and in harmony (whereas Unalaq wants to bring them closer together).

I'm totally speculating here, but my guess is that Avatar Wan had to separate the physical and spiritual world due to conflicts that could't be resolved. And so his story is going to parallel the two tribes (The South wanting there to be a separation but balance, and Unalaq who wants to bring them back together). However, Unalaq is driven by the fact that Spiritual side is angry with the physical, because there is an imbalance in the tribes. So he's motivated by a good reason, but focusing on the wrong thing.

cdkee

Banned

This is what I was thinking, it's really the only solution after the planned-for-one-season book 1.

Omikaru

Anybody doing the thread for next season? I'll do it if nobody wants to :)

I've already claimed it. Thread is going up next Friday or Saturday, roughly a week before the airdate.

That said I am happy for any assistance or advice on it (especially the photoshop side -- but I can deal if not), since it's my first OT.

TheOddOne

I've already claimed it. Thread is going up next Friday or Saturday, roughly a week before the airdate.

That said I am happy for any assistance or advice on it (especially the photoshop side -- but I can deal if not), since it's my first OT.
Cool!

Can't wait.

Mononoke

Banned
This is what I was thinking, it's really the only solution after the planned-for-one-season book 1.

Who actually shipped Korra and Mako? Lol I mean there was no build up and the way they hooked up made them terrible people (shitting all over Asami). Does anyone actually care about them even after Book One?

Mononoke

Banned
Well she learned jack shit the first season. What do you expect?

Also if anything, too many of her problems got solved in that finale. She got all her powers back. She learned how to energy bend. She learned how to control the avatar state. She knows all the elements now.

If she didn't have a flaw, then she would basically be a broken character that is perfect. At least to their credit, it was always said that Korra couldn't connect to her spiritual side. So at least that is carrying over (and it's something that is also tied to her personality flaws).

Well she learned jack shit the first season. What do you expect?

Zutara shippers. They didn't get their way the first time. My neice is one, lawl.

Lol but they are nothing like Zuko and Katara. But you are right, that's who they were written for. I guess I just don't get how anyone could have liked the way they hooked up. Do these same people still like them after the fact? I thought their romance made them both insufferable people. Totally shitting on their friend Asami.

Mononoke

Banned
This has always been the problem with Korra though. I mean what is the end goal? What is she working towards? Okay, so she can't connect to her spiritual side. This season will be about a huge imbalance between the spirit world and the physical (and it just happens to line up with the recent avatar not being good at it). Fine. We'll get a look into how the avatar came into existence, and the importance of the two worlds being separated. Okay.

But after this gets resolved, what then? Aang had a clear conflict he had to face. And all the seasons worked towards it.

I still have no idea what they plan on doing after this season and after they brushed off the equalist movement/revolution in book one. Will the spirit world cause a conflict that will be throughout the remaining books? Or is this another one off story.

Lol but they are nothing like Zuko and Katara. But you are right, that's who they were written for. I guess I just don't get how anyone could have liked the way they hooked up. Do these same people still like them after the fact? I thought their romance made them both insufferable people. Totally shitting on their friend Asami.
It's just projection. It doesn't really matter that the characters are nothing alike.

This has always been the problem with Korra though. I mean what is the end goal? What is she working towards? Okay, so she can't connect to her spiritual side. This season will be about a huge imbalance between the spirit world and the physical (and it just happens to line up with the recent avatar not being good at it). Fine. We'll get a look into how the avatar came into existence, and the importance of the two worlds being separated. Okay.

But after this gets resolved, what then? Aang had a clear conflict he had to face. And all the seasons worked towards it.

I still have no idea what they plan on doing after this season and after they brushed off the equalist movement/revolution in book one. Will the spirit world cause a conflict that will be throughout the remaining books? Or is this another one off story.
You do bring up a good point. What is "The Legend of Korra"? What is her legend? Aang's legend is the boy who ran away but came back to end the hundred year war. From day 1 that's what his story was building up toward. The self contained seasons is a nice idea but if it's not building up to something, for a universe so grand in scale, her character sort of doesn't live up to to anything.

I guess you can just have the misadventures of Korra, but it's kind of disappointing.

Tuck

I really, really hope they return to the equalist movement. It was left completely unresolved.

V_Arnold

While I do understand the point that Korra feels pointless at this point, I would bet that she will get a glimpse at what is at stake with her journey into the spirit realms.

I would honestly be shocked if they did not find a "big bad" thing that needs to be defeated/united against in the first...3 or 4 episodes of Season Two. From that point, Korra can have a journey.

Not having a direction is a valid state of being, even for a hero. If it only lasts for one season, then it is not a problem. All we know is that the lack of serious challenge had made her cocky, impatient, and pretty much the opposite of Aang at this point. That will have its repercussions, sooner or later, I guess.

Mononoke

Banned
It's just projection. It doesn't really matter that the characters are nothing alike.

You do bring up a good point. What is "The Legend of Korra"? What is her legend? Aang's legend is the boy who ran away but came back to end the hundred year war. From day 1 that's what his story was building up toward. The self contained seasons is a nice idea but if it's not building up to something, for a universe so grand in scale, her character sort of doesn't live up to to anything.

I guess you can just have the misadventures of Korra, but it's kind of disappointing.

I mean, if the whole point of this series is just to follow the life of an Avatar, that's pretty damn disappointing.

Omikaru

I mean, if the whole point of this series is just to follow the life of an Avatar, that's pretty damn disappointing.

I kind of agree, but maybe it's too soon to say. It's hard to derive from one season, and getting pre-emptively disappointed over something that may or may not be happening seems to be jumping the gun a bit.

At a guess, maybe they are trying to tell the tale of an Avatar that struggles to find her place in the world. In ATLA, Aang was a hero who took down a tyrranical Fire Lord and saved the world, after first running away. It was a hero-making tale and so on, and we got to awtch Aang grow into his role as Avatar where at first he was reluctant to be the Avatar. In TLOK, benders and non-benders have kind of moved on from the idea of an Avatar. The world is just too big (in terms of population) for that kind of thing.

In short, what place does a chosen one from a bygone era have in a world that is growing and changing at a rapid pace? Who does Korra have to be in this world? I'd hope that the events of Books 2-4 kind of usher Korra into her role as Avatar in this era, because that would be interesting to see. Though I don't blame people for thinking that TLOK will just be relatively static characters flimflamming from one scenario to the next, barely developing, and kind of resetting back to zero in time for the beginning of the next season without having learned much at all. Season One and what we know of Season Two suggests this is exactly what's happened, so far at least, but I'm still willing to chalk that up to how self-contained the first season was meant to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom