• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Then I guess reality is unrealistic. Just look at technological progression in real life.

Maybe. But what are we talking with Korra, 70 years after The Last Airbender?

It's not even a real complaint of mine, I just thought things would be more believable at 150 years. The time from early locomotives (1820s) to automobiles similar to those shown in the first episode of Korra (1920s) was around 100 years, at least. It's definitely believable of course, but a bit jarring, especially when they could have set it later and it wouldn't have raised any flags.

Mumei

It's not even a real complaint of mine, I just thought things would be more believable at 150 years. The time from early locomotives (1820s) to automobiles similar to those shown in the first episode of Korra (1920s) was around 100 years, at least. It's definitely believable of course, but a bit jarring, especially when they could have set it later and it wouldn't have raised any flags.

I don't think it should raise any flags even as is, given that the world was fairly advanced all things considered.

shira

I remember reading somewhere that Avatar gets like $1 million budgeted per episode, which is considerably more than any anime series would be allocated. High quality OVAs or more likely anime films would be on par with the quality we're talking about.

In the credits it says Studio MIR. Is that Russian owned, but Korean animation.

Piecake

1920s shanghai

300px-Shanghai1920s.jpg

1850's Shanghai

shanghai-1850s.jpg

Of course, this is a bit misleading considering the influx of Western tech, and Shanghai being just a lowly fishing village until it became the main foreign treaty port in like 1850, but in Korra, people can BEND FUCKING METAL!!

Rengoku

So I'm thinking of getting the iTunes season pass for the show. I'm not sure if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how soon the new episodes will pop up after they air on Saturday? Is it same day? next day? couple days after?

shira

So I'm thinking of getting the iTunes season pass for the show. I'm not sure if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but does anyone know how soon the new episodes will pop up after they air on Saturday? Is it same day? next day? couple days after?
I think it is the only way to get it 1080p.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I still don't understand how season 3 is held in high regard. Outside of a handful of episodes, and an ending that while action packed felt like it was missing a proper ending, it was either forgettable, or filled with episodes that I straight up didn't like.

I still don't understand how season 3 is held in high regard. Outside of a handful of episodes, and an ending that while action packed felt like it was missing a proper ending, it was either forgettable, or filled with episodes that I straight up didn't like.

I think most of my favourites are from season 3. Only ones I didn't like of that season where "The Beach," "Nightmares and Daydreams" and "Ember Island Players."

Actually, comparing the iTunes video download to Amazon's, iTunes has much better video quality. So I guess I'll get the season pass thing from them. Amazon's are all pixelated in comparison.

It might be just me, but. I'll just link the images since they'll be huge.

Amazon: http://i.minus.com/iQt6pcUahikSL.jpeg

iTunes: http://i.minus.com/iuPjMvOTbtqU2.jpg

I meant in a general way! Not in a "grr i'm gonna download torrents fuck the man grr" way.

bullshit on this. Amazons online player and its own player are fucking terrible but you get files that WMP can play at a quality on par with the itunes version. it is also possible to un drm the version you get for future use

bullshit on this. Amazons online player and its own player are fucking terrible but you get files that WMP can play at a quality on par with the itunes version. it is also possible to un drm the version you get for future use

I'll try playing it in WMP tomorrow. That's just a screenshot based off downloading the HD version from amazon and playing it in the weird amazon unbox player thing.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
That guy was on the front of the newspaper in the earlier ep. lol

He looks like that guy from the other trailer
who probably gets his bending taken away by Amon

So I'm guessing from the snippets shown that Amon goes to the pro-bending arena to abduct pro-benders and permanently block/remove their bending as a public display of Equalist power, probably along with other famous or culturally important benders. You got to hand it to Amon, he knows how to make a political statement.

Could just be that they snatch random people and Bolin and Tahno just happen to both get caught though.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Me from three and a half years ago:

I've just finished going through the third season collection and listening to some of the commentaries as well. While not quite as consistent as the second season (really, what is?), it's still very strong, with much higher quality animation and deeper character development than the first season (as it should). My favorites:

*SPOILERS BELOW*

Sokka’s Master:
Finally, an episode that deals with Sokka’s usefulness to the gang beyond being Mr. Meat and Sarcasm guy. Features an amazing swordfight with killer choreography and cleverly hints at further White Lotus development with Piandao. Iroh’s transformation into He-Man rocks. Oh yeah, having T-1000 voice the sword-master automatically makes the episode 50% more awesome. Fact.

The Avatar and the Firelord:
It’s fascinating to see the parallels between the past and the present: Sozin/Roku versus Zuko/Aang. From friends into enemies, the story between Roku and Sozin illustrates that no one is born good or evil. It was the choices they made in their lives that determined their destinies. When Roku was revealed to also be Zuko’s great-grandfather, it brings Zuko’s inner conflict between his two halves into a whole new light. Greg Baldwin’s first speech replacing the late Mako as Iroh makes the episode IMO.

The Puppetmaster:
Exploring the decimation of the Southern Water Tribe by the Fire Nation wasn’t something I was expecting in Book 3 but it was very welcome.
Bloodbending. Wow, I’m not sure how they got the concept by the censors at Nick, but I’m eternally grateful they did. The end with Hama congratulating Katara as she was being dragged away was great. All around solid episode.

The Day of Black Sun - The Eclipse:
I found the second part of the two-parters in Season Three to be the stronger ones. Azula continues to be one of the best female villains in any series without lifting a finger. She obviously gets her scheming and manipulating skills from her father. Toph gets in some of the sweetest metal-bending action outside of the series finale, but the show stealer had to be Zuko’s confrontation with Ozai. The only thing that I would have wanted more from the episode was some sort of permanent loss (like Hakoda dying) as a result of the invasion fleet’s defeat, but that might have been too much for the intended audience. Oh and not seeing Iroh tear metal bars apart with his bare hands in his prison break. Minor quibbles to an excellent episode.

The Western Air Temple:
The producers commented that this was probably the most dialog-heavy episode of the season, but it works extremely well from a character development perspective. The order in which the gang accepts Zuko is done brilliantly. Toph, not having the experience of being hunted and chased by evil Zuko of Season One, is the character that first reaches out to him. Sokka, being the pragmatic one, understands the need for Aang to learn firebending, and grudgingly accepts him into the group. Aang, who’s all about forgiveness, realizes that Zuko understands the dangers of firebending and accepts him openly. But Katara, oooh boy. She was the idealist that trusted him first and got stabbed in the back. She watched Zuko become a direct accessory to the murder of the world’s last hope for peace and her best friend. She does not forgive, nor forget. The death threat scene is so in character, and soooo fucking good it’s not even funny. My second favorite episode in the season outside the finale.

The Boiling Rock, Part II:
This second part of the two-parter sets up a lot of things that will be seen in the final few episodes. Suki is portrayed as a kick-ass complement to Sokka. (That’s some girl..:lol) and Mai and Zuko gets a brief and bittersweet reunion. Most important in the episode is a glimpse of the first real crack in Azula’s character, where she is caught completely off-guard by Mai and Ty-Lee’s betrayal. That played a crucial role in the unraveling of her perfect persona in subsequent episodes. Solid action and storytelling all around.

The Southern Raiders:
Arguably the darkest and most controversial episode of the season, the Southern Raiders was also my favorite outside the finale. From a character analysis standpoint, this is Katara’s worst hour. Her thirst for revenge overshadows everything and everyone, leading her to lash out at others in completely unjustifiable ways, from accusing Sokka of not loving their dead mom, to dismissing Aang for not understanding what she went through when he lost his whole freaking race to genocide, to BLOODBENDING the Captain of the Southern Raiders. Zuko doesn’t help matters as he completely rejects Aang’s very wise advice of forgiveness just to get on Katara’s good side. (Dude, did you forget he JUST forgave you for all the shit you did?!) Zuko’s an awesome character, but he’s really an idiot a lot of the time. :lol

I was completely caught off-guard by the portrayal of the main villain as a pathetic man living with his mother. I loved it. “Take my mother, that’s fair!” So pathetic.

What’s interesting is that the producers made it clear in the commentary that this was very much an Aang/Katara episode even if Aang had very little air time. At the moment of truth, it was Aang that was the angel on her shoulder, staying her hand. For once, it was Aang helping Katara through a rough patch, by letting her go on this journey to realize that revenge will not bring her mother back and she will never live with herself if she went through with killing Yon Ra. It really cements the complexity and the depth of their relationship.

Ember Island Players
The final breath before the plunge, and the funny before the dramatic. By far the funniest episode in the entire series, it leaves no stone unturned in terms of poking fun at everyone, from the characters (Woman Aang, Man-Toph, Meat Guy Sokka, Tearbending Katara, Uncle advocating how fun treachery is, and Zuko screaming “HONOR” as he’s engulfed in flames), the writers themselves (being unclear about Jet, the crappiness that was “the Great Divide”) and even the creepy shipper community (Katara and Zuko making out in the Ba Sing Se caverns). Take note TV writers, THIS is a clip show done right. HILARIOUS.

Sozin’s Comet – the Finale
There really is only one word to describe the two hour series ender: EPIC. I honestly can’t remember the last TV series that went out with such a bang. I won’t go too much into detail into this, since this post is already way too long, but there are many really brilliant scenes that made the finale my favorite episodes in the entire series.

The freaking Intro: The “Previously on Avatar” background music and the montage of the threads that were to be wrapped up was absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately it wasn’t part of the DVD collection since the finale was broken up into 4 episodes. Boo.

Zuko and Iroh’s reunion scene: Zuko with such a sincere and tearful apology and Uncle just grabbing him in a bear hug. One of the most powerful and emotional scenes in the series.

Transformer Toph: Shave and a Haircut BEATDOWN. Nothing more needs to be said for Toph’s best metalbending scene.

Sokka’s Very Special Birthday: I just about busted a gut when the two dudes were chatting about working up in communications and down in engineering. Just like Avatar to pop in an absolutely hilarious scene in the middle of a tense sequence.

Azula’s breakdown scene: It’s finally caught up to Azula, after being perfect for so long. She finally cracks completely and the scene with her hair-cutting (which she wouldn’t tolerate “even one hair out of place” at the beginning of Season 2) and the vision of Ursa was chilling and tragic. Great stuff.

Old People Camp vs. Ba Sing Se: It’s good to see all the White Lotus Masters kick some butt, if only for a short period of time. Bumi’s a riot, as usual.

Last Agni Kai: The fire duel of the siblings was haunting, especially with the brilliant piece of music running through the scene and the contrast in flame colours. Go go Zuko breakdance firebending!

Katara versus Joker Azula: It made so much sense for Katara not to fight Crazy head-on, but with smarts and through non-violence. Chained up Azula was a pretty tragic looking figure.

Spiritbending and Avatar Aang: People complain about the lion turtle deux-ex machina, but the other two season finales also involved them (Ocean Spirit and a controllable Avatar State anyone?). :lol In the end, I really really appreciate the fact that Aang becomes a fully-realized Avatar by staying true to himself (and by doing so, is able to perform spirit-bending and not be corrupted by Ozai) and solving the conflict HIS way.

Tea Shop at Ba Sing Se: Such a peaceful and fun scene for everyone. There was this part where Aang looks back at everyone with such a sense of peace and happiness, so good.

The End: It’s interesting to note that the hug scene between Aang and Katara is extremely similar to the Season One finale scene, just like how the Aang and Katara Season Two finale scene mirrors their first meeting in the Iceberg. Those producers are sneaky brilliant! And the kiss, what can I say? No words, pure love. The music during this scene is my favorite piece in the show. Perfect ending to go off on.

So those are my picks and thoughts on Season Three. 12 fantastic episodes out of 21 isn’t a shabby ratio (much better than most shows), and there are some that are good but not great, and only one that’s an outright stinker (the Beach urgh). Anyways, the show ended out on top, and that’s not something that can be said too often.

I stand by my comments.

W_Dreamer

Agreed.

I got a bunch of people into Avatar and they were crazy fans of Season 2. By the time S3 came around it was overall underwhelming even with an action finale, half of the characters didnt seem used to their full potential.

All the fans that I introduced felt the same way. But Im over it by now as well.

season 3 had some of my all time favorite avatar episodes. the one where aang goes to fire nation school is such a great episode. i love it and i come back to it often

I personally think it would have been more out of character if Aang actually killed Ozai. Finding a way to defeat the Fire Lord without compromising on his beliefs is fine, the issue is that Energybending only showed up just before the final fight, when it should have been a more integral part of the season.

Pretty much my beef with the whole thing.

If they gave more hints throughout then i would have been alright with it (hell the showed hints of a lion turtle already)

Mumei

I personally think it would have been more out of character if Aang actually killed Ozai. Finding a way to defeat the Fire Lord without compromising on his beliefs is fine, the issue is that Energybending only showed up just before the final fight, when it should have been a more integral part of the season.

I don't know what other people were getting out of it, but after the episode with the Lion Turtle imparting knowledge and touching his heart and head with the green light thing, I was expecting him to take the third option after that, and the explanation made sense to me relative to other talk in the series about the four elements being one. On the one hand they could have done a better job foreshadowing it, but on the other hand I liked having a bit more suspense about what was going to happen. If I'd known going into the episode that there was this thing called Energybending and it could take bending away, I feel like the lead up to those last episodes would have lost a lot of tension.

And frankly I feel that the show would have been diminished by having Aang kill Ozai.

I don't know what other people were getting out of it, but after the episode with the Lion Turtle imparting knowledge and touching his heart and head with the green light thing, I was expecting him to take the third option after that, and the explanation made sense to me relative to other talk in the series about the four elements being one. On the one hand they could have done a better job foreshadowing it, but on the other hand I liked having a bit more suspense about what was going to happen. If I'd known going into the episode that there was this thing called Energybending and it could take bending away, I feel like the lead up to those last episodes would have lost a lot of tension.

And frankly I feel that the show would have been diminished by having Aang kill Ozai.

They could have still given some subtle hints that would still have us in the dark until the Lion turtle gave the full explanation.

Unfortunate since apparently the creators planned it all along but they had no clear method of implementation until the end.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They could have still given some subtle hints that would still have us in the dark until the Lion turtle gave the full explanation.

Unfortunate since apparently creators planned it all along but they had no clear method of implementation until the end.

They showed a little bit of it at lest in season 2 when they showed the lion turtle painting in the library, but I don't know why laying it on real thick before the final fight on what's actually going to happen is going to make it better. We didn't know what he was going to do until that last second, it was pretty good that way I think.

Too many things are too predictable, that was pretty unpredictable.

They showed a little bit of it at lest in season 2 when they showed the lion turtle painting in the library, but I don't know why laying it on real thick before the final fight on what's actually going to happen is going to make it better. We didn't know what he was going to do until that last second, it was pretty good that way I think.

But as i said they didn't have to do that and it wouldn't feel they pulled it from a magic hat like what actually happened.

Mumei

Unfortunate since apparently the creators planned it all along but they had no clear method of implementation until the end.

Maybe you're right. I just wanted to say that I didn't feel as though I had been cheated somehow by the lack of build-up for it, really.

CoolS

Apple doesn't ip block you just have to set up an account in the USA with a USA payment method. You can use US iTunes gift cards to pay. Search online for how to buy from abroad.

I want to know this as well. I want to experience it in the best quality possible but if iTunes puts it up more than one day later it's not an option. How do they usually release with TV shows?

Chiming in on the discussion, I can't understand that so many people think season 3 has a lot of filler or bad episodes. It was the second best season by far and it's biggest problem was the way Nick aired it back then. So many memorable moments in season 3.

Edit: Basically what BorkBork said. There are so many great episodes, witht the rest being at least good.

The only knock, so far, is it seems to be in The Last Airbender's shadow, constantly referencing it and not really letting it stand on its own. I know why they did this and I know it won't be an issue later on (I hope, at least), but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, don't worry about it, episode 2 is very different in that regard and I imagine outside of the eventual appearance of Aang like Roku did as a spirit, there won't be that much referencing.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

a painting isnt much if any sort of a sign though. if there was some legend about the lion turtle, i would agree.

another thing that bothers me thinking about it, why didnt toph go with zuko to fire nation instead of katara? she can bend metal sure, but outside of her mk 2 armor, she was pretty useless, where if she was with zuko, she could have been more useful.

CoolS

a painting isnt much if any sort of a sign though. if there was some legend about the lion turtle, i would agree.

another thing that bothers me thinking about it, why didnt toph go with zuko to fire nation instead of katara? she can bend metal sure, but outside of her mk 2 armor, she was pretty useless, where if she was with zuko, she could have been more useful.

People have to get over the lion turtle. Like it has already been said, they just didn't know how to take Ozai's bending away untill they were into writing the second half of Book 3. It's very unfortunate but it is the way it is now :(

As for your question. Probably since Zuko asked Katara flat out, easy as that.

finally saw the episode
I really like the new tone of the new series at least its not like same old thing like TLIB
really like Korra its almost like Sokka

I just hope the series doesn't revolve around the bending tournament

Jintor

People have to get over the lion turtle. Like it has already been said, they just didn't know how to take Ozai's bending away untill they were into writing the second half of Book 3. It's very unfortunate but it is the way it is now :(

As for your question. Probably since Zuko asked Katara flat out, easy as that.

i still find it weird that shows are written as they go to air

/edit who wants FIVE SHINY AANG-DOLLARS

tumblr_m2ilb2rpcT1rqm1voo7_1280.jpg

GCX

i still find it weird that shows are written as they go to air
The writers had an overal image of what each season would include and how the character arcs would develop even before the pilot was aired. It was all included in the "series bible". They knew Aang would defeat Ozai (well who didn't) but hadn't just decided how it'd happen.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I have one issue with the final battle, and even the sudden energybending thing wasn't it (although it didn't help.)

It was that all of a sudden Aang got his Avatar State back and that it was basically the only reason he won.

"Wait, what do you mean it's unsatisfying if a character who's been training this whole time doesn't beat the villain on his own and has to use a sudden Hulk injection?"

Mr. Sam

I thought it was satisfying in as much as Aang had the strength and willpower to overrule the avatar state - the collective wisdom and power of countless avatars - when it attempted to kill Ozai. It wouldn't, technically, have been his responsibility, but he still intervened and defeated Ozai in his own terms, without killing.

Veelk

Banned
I have one issue with the final battle, and even the sudden energybending thing wasn't it (although it didn't help.)

It was that all of a sudden Aang got his Avatar State back and that it was basically the only reason he won.

"Wait, what do you mean it's unsatisfying if a character who's been training this whole time doesn't beat the villain on his own and has to use a sudden Hulk injection?"

No way that it could have worked out any other way. I wouldn't have bought that a twelve year old to beat perhaps the best firebender in the world on the day of the comet without the help of the avatar state. It'd be been better if he didn't activate that state by pure accident though.

iirate

There's really no proof either way, but I always had the feeling that Aang's own doubts were causing him to hold back in a major way during that fight, and that he probably could have taken down Ozai without the Avatar State or energybending.

I thought it was satisfying in as much as Aang had the strength and willpower to overrule the avatar state - the collective wisdom and power of countless avatars - when it attempted to kill Ozai. It wouldn't, technically, have been his responsibility, but he still intervened and defeated Ozai in his own terms, without killing.

Not only that, but he then proceeded to defeat Firelord Ozai of all people in a contest of wills in order to do so - Aang was a complete badass by the end.

CoolS

I highly disagree. Imo, Aang was fighting on paar with Ozai and could have taken him down the moment he was redirecting his lightning. After he couldn't do that, he was slowly starting to be pushed back by Ozai, surely because partly he couldn't think of a way to win without killing him.

So I'd say his training was very important and he could have won because of it. But since he didn't want to kill Ozai he last Chakra was reopened by accident. And controlling the Avatar state was part of his training as well.
And last but not least, he took away Ozai's bending through his own will. And that almost failed as well.

I get that people are a little bummed about energy bending but that Aang would use the Avatar state in some way in the end was kind of obvious.

Mumei

I think you forget that could have simply redirected the lightning towards Ozai instead of directing it away from him.

I also think they made amply clear that was going to be the result. Even towards the end - the episode where he went off to the Lion Turtle in a trance - Zuko mentioned that his firebending was nowhere near up to snuff, and Toph mentioned that his Earthbending could use some work. He was also facing probably (with the possible, though in my opinion unlikely, exception of Iroh) the most powerful Firebender in the world who was getting an exponential boost in his firebending abilities. Not to mention that Avatar or not, he was still a 12 year old boy whose bending abilities (when not tapping into the Avatar State) still had a lot of growing to do who was facing an adult firebender in his prime. So it shouldn't have been surprising that he might not have been able to do it given those disadvantages.

That said, in the DVD commentaries, Bryke also mentioned that Aang wasn't really trying during the initial part of the fight; they pointed out that he was just chucking rocks that were easily dodged and not aiming them directly at where he was and that he was clearly hesitant because he still wasn't sure what he wanted to do. Basically what iirate says is correct; his hesitations were holding him back. I still don't think he could have won wih the comet boosting Ozai (unless he had a completely out-of-character moment and redirected the lightning towards him), but it likely would've been closer if he'd been less hesitant and was actually attempting to defeat Ozai rather than stalling.

There's really no proof either way, but I always had the feeling that Aang's own doubts were causing him to hold back in a major way during that fight, and that he probably could have taken down Ozai without the Avatar State or energybending.

Not only that, but he then proceeded to defeat Firelord Ozai of all people in a contest of wills in order to do so - Aang was a complete badass by the end.

Hell no. I don't believe that for a second. Ozai was already ridiculously powerful, without the comet, and with it, he became an absolute juggernaut. He was pretty much curb-stomping Aang.

RedSwirl

Wait the first TWO episodes are free?! I downloaded the first one on PSN but didn't see the second one available. Ep 2 is just free on iTunes and Amazon? How's the Amazon playback through the PS3 app? Would it be better to just stream over iTunes through my Apple TV?

I'm seriously considering getting the season pass on iTunes if it is indeed 1080p, but more than likely I'll just TiVo it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Hell no. I don't believe that for a second. Ozai was already ridiculously powerful, without the comet, and with it, he became an absolute juggernaut. He was pretty much curb-stomping Aang.

Aang could have killed Ozai before the triggering of the Avatar State. He chose not to redirect lightning back at him.

Edit: Mumei beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom