• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Stafy 3 impressions + Mystery Nintendo Guest star revealed

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Some of you probably know how much I love this series, after first seeing the GBC build at Spaceworld 2000 to its eventual release on the GBA and I've been playing the third one rather non-stop for the past two and a half days. So onto some impressions.

g_04.gif
g_09.gif

g_06.gif
g_10.gif

I'm not going to do a big overview of the game, as there've already been two. Think Kirby in water without the capability of stealing powers, and it's something like that. Controls are super smooth and responsive and I think really go a long way to making these games a real joy to play. Anyway, the third title follows up the changes made to the second. Gone are the large stages with multiple paths from Stafy 1. It's just like Stafy 2, with a lot more levels without the branching. Each stage has one goal, and it makes it an ideal game to just play through a couple stages and put it back down.

Alright, changes to the series. The big change is the addition of Stafy's little sister, although I also think it's the big weak link of the game. From what I can gather she's more of a plot device than a major influence on the gameplay. Every once in a while in the plot Stafy and the sister split off, and each takes a different route and ends up at the same place. Basically, you play as one, reach the end, then the game puts you in control of the other. The thing is, gameplay between the two is largely similar. The main differences are the sister being able to crawl and walljump while Stafy can double jump and can shoot through the water fast. But truth be told, they could have easily just given Stafy the new abilities and rearranged the level design a little. Hell, after you beat the game you gain the ability to switch between the characters on the fly, so this essentially takes place but with the minor inconvenience of switching. There are only two moments in the game where you use both characters in different areas of the level and do things that influence the area by the other character and can voluntarily switch characters by ringing a bell thingy. For instance, one of those moments has each character on the opposite side of a wall, with blocks in it that stick out and can be pushed to one side of the wall or the other, thus possibly creating a vertical stair of sorts. This showed some promise, but the potential of using both characters 'at once' to solve puzzles was never really utilized at all.

Other than that, there's not much changed. A few new minor gameplay tweaks, some new kinds of obstacles and puzzles, but nothing major. The game's relatively easy for anyone experienced in Nintendo's platformers but harder stages open up after beating the end boss for the first time. These can be a good deal harder, but they're never frustrating and always have a sort of carefree atmosphere from the vibrant graphics and great controls.

g_04.gif
g_08.gif

The vehicles/costumes are back, and largely the same as before. The pogo stick is cool and occasionally offers some challenge, while the horse riding one has been markedly made more difficult than the similar versions in the last two games. There are more obstacles and you have to occasionally jump on areas only one block in width and that was a nice, if simple, change to add some more challenge. The other two vehicles are a sub that you just move around obstacles fairly plainly, and a sheep costume that has that scare ability that turns spiked platforms into blocks that can be stepped on for a short time. Pretty much the exact same as they appeared in the last games.

Graphics are noticably improved, with more frames of animation for a lot of enemies and bigger/larger enemies at that. I really love the animation for this one wolf/lion hybrid that you can either trap in cages or knock food down to distract it. The animal jumps at the food and just grabs it with the two front paws and chomps away at it like ribs. Looks really nice. Almost every area in the game now has 2 or 3 layers of parallax scrolling which is really beautiful but occasionally a little much. Bosses are generally huge and feature all kinds of rotational effects. There's one that's pretty cool, where you have to rotate the arena in order to try and make the boss hit moving obstacles.

g01_2.gif
g03_2.gif

The minigames that are earned either through game progress or buying stuff with collected coins (those black balls, whatever they are) are back too. I really have no idea how they're earned. Anyway, there are five of them and they're made in the same style as the Kirby multiplayer games found on the recent GBA releases. They can be done single player too though, and two are rather fun and original. The first, as pictured, is sort of a very simplified Super Smash Bros on trampolines. You basically just knock your Stafy around into others trying to push them off the bottom of the screen. The person with the least deaths wins. It's simple but fun. The second, as pictured, has the fish jumping out to hit a ball, and you can choose which other fish to hit it to, and basically you just keep hitting it around until someone misses. The person with the least misses wins. They're all simple, but a nice distraction once in a while.

Ok, now for the really cool surprise I found upon reaching the 8th world. I'll hide the secret just in case some of you plan to ever play this, but suffice to say a certain Nintendo character plays a big role.
The 8th world revolves around Stafy and friends stumbling into Wario as he explores a ruined temple/castle for treasure. It's all based on Wario Land 4. Each of the initial four stages has Wario finding one of the gems (as in, those gems of which there were four in each WL4 level) and then at the end of the fourth stage you hit the frog pedastol thing, and there's a short forced scrolling bit to reach the end. It would have been neat to go through the stage backwards, but oh well. Anyway, Stafy has to help Wario through the stages. In some bits you have to set Wario on fire and he runs back and forth between obstacles, and you have to underneath and bump the ground he's on in order to catapult him over the obstacle and into the next bit, rinse and repeat until he reaches the fire block that he extinguishes and opens the door to the next room. Other bits have Wario bumping into bubbles, and you have to guide his bubbled form either with or against currents in various ways. Or he gets stung and you jump on top of him and guide him through spike-infested airspace. It's all a really cool homage to Wario Land 4, and a very unexpected surprise.

I think my inability to read Japanese actually creates some puzzles/obstacles that others wouldn't have. There's a ton of text in this game, and I can only assume that a lot of it is explanations of what to do next, and I just don't get that. So I'm often guessing and checking to get through things or just experimenting and discovering solutions to problems. It makes it more fun for me I think. The feeling of discovery is cool, but I wonder if the text holds the player's hand and gives things away too much. Guess I'll never know, but it's something that dawned on me with this third installment.

Anyway, I've beaten the game once, and I'm going back through the new levels, which are thankfully harder. There's still a good deal left to go, but those are my thoughts for now. Hopefully they're of interest to someone. And pardon the lack of articulation in my writing, it's summer break for me ;)

Any questions, just ask. I'm sure I missed talking about some things.

I recently played through Stafy 2 and I just want to concur that this series is super fun!! It's just great, classic platforming action.

BTW, it's too bad you can't read the text, because Kyorosuke (your clam friend) is a fucking riot. He's always gladly and cheerfully volunteering to help out people in need, but of course he's not going to do anything himself, so right after agreeing to help he turns right around and shouts at Stafy, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST SITTING THERE, YOU IDIOT! GO FIND HER LOST PENDANT!! GODDAMMIT IT!!" He's just foul-mouthed and a goofball.

I think Stafi 2 is a great leap over the first title. I feel the second one just has better level design, which on the whole are shorter in length but more varied and fun. Also, the game sports a fun system of buy clothes to put on Stafi in the sub-menu. The game just seems more fleshed out than the first. Part 3 looks great and all but I'll have to wait for some more reviews.

Dan

FortNinety said:
Damn... this series just sounds better and better.... and I didn't know there was a GBC version as well.
There wasn't. The first game was first shown at Spaceworld 2000 for the GBC, then disappeared for a while and came back as a GBA project. That's what I meant, I wanted it when it was first seen on the GBC.

JackFrost2012 said:
BTW, it's too bad you can't read the text, because Kyorosuke (your clam friend) is a fucking riot. He's always gladly and cheerfully volunteering to help out people in need, but of course he's not going to do anything himself, so right after agreeing to help he turns right around and shouts at Stafy, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING JUST SITTING THERE, YOU IDIOT! GO FIND HER LOST PENDANT!! GODDAMMIT IT!!" He's just foul-mouthed and a goofball.
Yeah, I had a feeling that I was missing out. At least I can enjoy the gameplay though. If NoA ever brought these out in English I might just have to buy them again to enjoy the story and dialogue.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Mejilan said:
Well, there was a teaser in Mario & Luigi...

Considering the same poster is in the Japanese M&L, I'd probably call it less a teaser and more just a cheeky in-joke/reference that no one bothered to remove during localization. Also, the Wario poster in M&L uses the same design and color scheme as the Japanese MIW packaging, which further bolsters the "enh, just leave it" factor.

For as charming as I find Stafy, I can't be the only one that thinks it might be a little too oversimple for it's own good, can I? Like Dan said, it's a lot like Kirby, itself specifically designed from the get go to be one of Nintendo's easiest and most accessible platformers, only they've stripped Stafy of nearly all the mechanics that gave Kirby any depth at all.

I just found myself meandering a little too often from point a to point b with no challenge, no risk, and no reward other than another quick spurt of dialogue, and then it was off again to another level of the same ol'. The characters and scenarios are undeniably appealing (I especially liked ferreting out the three rebellious children in Stafy 2), but the actual gameplay more often than not felt baby-pool shallow.

Maybe I should actually finish one before I stick my foot any further in my mouth, because I sure don't remember riding any animals in 2 (thought it's been a while), and maybe there's a more I haven't experienced that'd change my mind, but the first several hours definitely left me wanting.

And FortNinety -- have a look at http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/sw2000/itiran/cgb/soft/stafy/ -- if I remember right, it was first announced for GBC, then scrapped and rebuilt from the ground up for the Advance.

Stafy definitely skews towards "easy," but the mechanics are fun, especially as you unlock the more advanced moves towards the end of the game. Once you complete the game, you can replay all the old levels, so there's some new areas you can reach you couldn't get to before. Plus, there's about 40% again in new levels unlocked only after you beat the game, which are a fair bit more entertaining (though not really challenging). There's also new outfits, photos, minigames, treasures, a sound test ... the point is yes, Stafy's easy, but it's also fun and appealing and tightly designed, and that makes it a great game to pop in for a few minutes when I don't want to think too much, and just want to run and swim around and have a good time.

Dan

No. The first game was originally planned for the GBC and was shown off at Spaceworld 2000, but it was rebuilt as a GBA title. Brandonnn posted a link a couple posts above that has a look at some of those early screenshots.

It's this series and Kuru that is complete bullshit. I'd argue these are the two best series on the GBA (Metroid up there), but NOA doesn't like to bring original titles over and then has the gall to bitch about lack of creativity in the industry. Kuru, Starfly, and Pikmin are Nintendo's greatest introductions this generation, yet only one makes it stateside.

Tsubaki

JackFrost2012 said:
I recently played through Stafy 2 and I just want to concur that this series is super fun!! It's just great, classic platforming action.

Heh... I bought Densetsu no SUTAFII 2 when I was in Japan, but hadn't opened it until I read this thread.

I only played it for about an hour, but it's a nice thing to experience a fun original platformer after so many other series pound sequel after sequel. It hasn't posed much of a challenge, but there is a definite charm in what it has to offer.

Now I regret having passed over picking up the first game when I was in Akihabara :(

Top Bottom