• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Famitsu Details (NPC Names and Bios)

Cerium

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-character-details/

Zelda is the princess of the destroyed Hyrule kingdom. She goes to investigate ancient ruins scattered around the world. Famitsu says she’s a wise and curious girl, but also has a deep complexity.

In one image, Zelda is shown raising her right hand to shoot light at a Guardian. This time, Zelda wears clothing that may let her take the most active role she’s had in the series so far. Famitsu asks, will she also participate in battles?

Mifa is a Zora girl who lives in Hyrule. She has a special power that no other Zoras have, but perhaps due to that she’s somewhat introverted and doesn’t talk much. Famitsu wonders how she will use the spear she’s wielding.

Darkel (or literally Darukeru) is a Goron warrior who lives in the mountains of Hyrule. He’s normally calm, but when entering battles, he changes into a very brave warrior that screams loudly while sweeping away enemies.

Finally, Reebal is a member of the bird-like Rito tribe which lives in the skies of Hyrule. He is spotted wearing the same blue scarf as Darkel and Mifa, and each of them also wield different weapons.
botw5.png
botw6.png
botw4.png
My friend says this

"talks about the blue clothing found on reebaru, mifa, and darukeru (as well as link)
Suggests its a plot point"
well

pYVZ8CO.png

So the bird people are confirmed to be Rito then? They look much more bird like then they did in Wind Waker. Thanks for the info, also I love the Zora's design so nice to have a name.

I love how green is that old and busted joint and blue colored stuff is the new hotness. It gives Link in particular a nice update that says "we're not fully tied to tradition" in an easy to implement way.

That allows us to have some idea of where the game falls timeline wise. It's definitely in the WW side of the timeline

Didn't Aonuma say that Koroks were only chosen to be put into the game because they fit the art style, not because of timeline stuff?

I'd say it's evidence that it could be post-WW, but not proof. Nintendo could just be doing whatever they want.

if the zora evolved into the rito than why we still got zora

If monkeys evolved into man, why we still got monkeys?!

I can only imagine that some Zoras (maybe flying fish type Zoras?) got stuck away from water for long enough that natural selection weeded out the fishy ones until only ones that could fly were left.

Didn't Aonuma say that Koroks were only chosen to be put into the game because they fit the art style, not because of timeline stuff?

I'd say it's evidence that it could be post-WW, but not proof. Nintendo could just be doing whatever they want.

Maybe there are Zora in other parts of the world, and the Zora that evolved to Rito were specific to WW's location? Could explain why the Zora are Red.

Hobbun

Wish Nintendo would give information on numbers of different aspects/gameplay. Like dungeon numbers, if we are going to collect heart pieces, etc.

That said, I plan to get the game, anyways. Would just like to see some things confirmed.

I love this red hue to the Zoras and I love how Zoras and Ritos are both in this game rather than just one of those two races. I wonder if we can have the Kokiri alongside the Koroks?

Are folks glossing over the first point that makes it seem that Zelda isn't just trapped and is actively taking an active role in the present timeline?

Except there are Zoras too. In the WW side, all Zoras evolved into Rito...so.... *head explodes*
Not to mention that I could swear that either Aonuma or someone else from the team already confirmed its not in the WW timeline.

eosos

Banned
Damn, haven't been so hyped for a game in a while. Playing through Twiglight Princess now and can't wait for this.

Mr. F

Banned
Man giving a solitary fuck about the timeline sounds pretty stressful.

Ritos are rad, glad they're back. Loving the style of the character renders too, feels like it's kind of making good on the rationale behind skyward sword's painterly style.

“In the trailer, you probably saw some characters and wondered who they are. These are companions who will help Link on his journey. And the support that you’ll see from these characters is not the usual kind, it’s a bit more mysterious.” — Eiji Aonuma

Interestingly, IGN put up an interview recently where Aonuma said that. Curious what role Zelda and the other three characters will be playing in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bnKkpdVjXY&feature=youtu.be

As they all have different weapons, I wonder if you get them as rewards and they don't break down like other ones. Or maybe they join you for the final battle.

TreIII

Ritos AND Zoras?

"Curiouser and curiouser".

Still think this is a game in the Downfall Branch, myself, and that a number of the same races/evolutions from other timelines showing up is just a nice thing to take advantage of, since those early games were made long before those races were introduced, and so, they can always say that they were just "hiding off camera".

“In the trailer, you probably saw some characters and wondered who they are. These are companions who will help Link on his journey. And the support that you’ll see from these characters is not the usual kind, it’s a bit more mysterious.” — Eiji Aonuma

Interestingly, IGN put up an interview recently where Aonuma said that. Curious what role Zelda and the other three characters will be playing in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bnKkpdVjXY&feature=youtu.be

Something I appreciated about TP and love about this game is that Nintendo acknowledges that other people should/would be fighting an evil that is engulfing their land. It wouldn't just be Link. I think other Zeldas have explored this idea as well but BOTW seems to really pay close detail to this concept

xandaca

Except there are Zoras too. In the WW side, all Zoras evolved into Rito...so.... *head explodes*

Could be that in a non-WW timeline, the Zora separated into two clans, one of whom went on to evolve into the Rito somehow. Christ, why am I thinking about this.

I don't know what to make of these posts lol. But the fact that Zoras are red now may show they've also evolved from what they were back in the Oot/MM era

If monkeys evolved into man, why we still got monkeys?!

I can only imagine that some Zoras (maybe flying fish type Zoras?) got stuck away from water for long enough that natural selection weeded out the fishy ones until only ones that could fly were left.

Y'all don't remember the "why we still got monkeys?" meme?

Christ I've been on this forum for too long.

Blues1990

There are two branches of Zora, the Fresh water & salt water respectively. It wouldn't be that far fetched if one of them had evolved into birds, while the other had stayed the same.

I won't believe that until I've played and beaten the game.

There are two branches of Zora, the Fresh water & salt water respectively. It wouldn't be that far fetched if one of them had evolved into birds, while the other had stayed the same.

Well, wind waker had no serious fresh water left, and the Zora we see that Ritos descended from were the same kind we've seen normally... dunno where the other kind went

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Still think this is a game in the Downfall Branch, myself, and that a number of the same races/evolutions from other timelines showing up is just a nice thing to take advantage of, since those early games were made long before those races were introduced, and so, they can always say that they were just "hiding off camera".

My greatest fear is that we get flashbacks to 100 years ago and it's to a series of events that don't correspond with any other game, or place it in any timeline. Just "ganon appeared, people fought, etc etc." Ala the Wind Waker prologue, which created a new "ganon attacks" backstory instead of using an existing one. Would be a real bummer!!!

RagnarokX

Are folks glossing over the first point that makes it seem that Zelda isn't just trapped and is actively taking an active role in the present timeline?

Not to mention that I could swear that either Aonuma or someone else from the team already confirmed its not in the WW timeline.

Aonuma said that similarities to WW were chosen for aesthetic reasons and they share no connection scenario-wise.

These could be a different kind of Rito. Like the Zoras in WW changed into Ritos but are also their own race.

I agree that is probably the case, but it makes placing it in the timeline even more confusing. Not that it really matters...but I like timeline talk ^_^'

Aonuma said that similarities to WW were chosen for aesthetic reasons and they share no connection scenario-wise.

These could be a different kind of Rito. Like the Zoras in WW changed into Ritos but are also their own race.

Aonuma would also say exactly that if he wanted to keep the timeline position a secret, or if there really are timeline shenanigans like some have speculated happening. I'm gonna wait and see.

As they all have different weapons, I wonder if you get them as rewards and they don't break down like other ones. Or maybe they join you for the final battle.

I bet it's the companion AI system that the wolf link amiibo is leveraging. You can probably have them as travelling companions like wolf link.

brad-t

They're going to include whatever characters and races they think are a good fit regardless of the timeline placement, try not to agonize over it.

Top Bottom