• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild has no towns, handful of stray NPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

May 6, 2010
Manchester, UK
backloggery.com
Collin posted this in the Treehouse thread:

They just confirmed in an interview that the game will have no towns. They clarified that it's a Hyrule in ruins and they took direct inspiration from the world of the NES LOZ. They did confirm that there will be a handful of stray NPCs throughout the world but no towns or villages in the traditional sense. Also, they claimed that link will not have any kind of partner and will be exploring alone for the entire game.
Apparently there are no towns in Breath Of The Wild.. not a fan
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/742796443539406849

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is making big changes to the classic Zelda formula. During today’s Treehouse stream, it was explained how this new game is mixing things up in two areas.

First, Breath of the Wild will not have any towns. The title features Hyrule in ruins, and inspiration was taken from the very first entry in the series. However, there will be stray NPCs to be encountered – there just won’t be towns or villages in the traditional sense.

It was also stated that Link will not have a partner character in Breath of the Wild – think Midna, Navi, etc.
http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-no-towns-or-traditional-partner-character/

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

What are your thoughts on an open world Zelda game without towns and villages?

randomengine

Banned
Feb 22, 2012
I am ok with this. The towns in Zelda are always the least interesting and more stressful areas of the game for me.

Infinite

Feb 6, 2010

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

maybe there'll be settlements of people but not 'towns' in the strictest of definitions?

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Jun 2, 2009
If it's within the context of the story, that's perfectly fine. No biggie.

Xemnas89

Mar 2, 2014
So in many ways this game is like a modern take on the original game. I'm actually excited about that.

Social

May 15, 2010
That's not bad news, the towns were never the greatest thing in a Zelda game. A lot of back and forth chores

Effect

Jun 15, 2007
I still think that might be different as we get further into the game and the story progresses.

Apr 26, 2009
Ohio
Damn this is really isolated Link. Hope the wording handful is just playing it down, I'd like to see Link come across some interesting characters throughout the story.

Choppasmith

Mar 22, 2009

Disappointing, but it makes sense basing it off the first Zelda game and considering the "ruin" of Hyrule. I doubt it's some kind of technological limitation or anything like that.

EDIT:

I'd like to see Link come across some interesting characters throughout the story.
Yeah this is my main concern too :/

Sub Boss

Mar 6, 2013
wow, Link without any partner? that is very good news.for hardcore gamers.

why not put it on the thread title too?

Crayolan

Sep 30, 2013
You posted a thread citing a random junior with no source?

Unless Collin is a known insider?

Oddduck

Jan 1, 2012
Hm, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

But it makes sense with the overall theme of the game. (exploring the wild)

Mar 16, 2014
Georgia
www.neogaf.com
I hate it when threads introduce factoids like this without context. Just invites the shitposts.

Personally, I'm okay with it, given the emphasis on exploration and the survivalist sort of feel the game is shooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.