• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild has no towns, handful of stray NPCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

Collin posted this in the Treehouse thread:

They just confirmed in an interview that the game will have no towns. They clarified that it's a Hyrule in ruins and they took direct inspiration from the world of the NES LOZ. They did confirm that there will be a handful of stray NPCs throughout the world but no towns or villages in the traditional sense. Also, they claimed that link will not have any kind of partner and will be exploring alone for the entire game.

Apparently there are no towns in Breath Of The Wild.. not a fan
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/742796443539406849

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is making big changes to the classic Zelda formula. During today’s Treehouse stream, it was explained how this new game is mixing things up in two areas.

First, Breath of the Wild will not have any towns. The title features Hyrule in ruins, and inspiration was taken from the very first entry in the series. However, there will be stray NPCs to be encountered – there just won’t be towns or villages in the traditional sense.

It was also stated that Link will not have a partner character in Breath of the Wild – think Midna, Navi, etc.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-no-towns-or-traditional-partner-character/

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

What are your thoughts on an open world Zelda game without towns and villages?

Infinite

If this is true, well its a bummer for me. Towns in Zelda games always feel vibrant and down right fun.

maybe there'll be settlements of people but not 'towns' in the strictest of definitions?

Ugh. Sounds more and more like Skyward Sword 2.0

Having one lame settlement was like the worst thing about that game and this doesn't even have one apparently.

Anth0ny

holy shit it really is taking inspiration from Zelda 1

this sounds exciting to me. hoping there's still a lot of memorable NPCs, though.

Social

That's not bad news, the towns were never the greatest thing in a Zelda game. A lot of back and forth chores

Damn this is really isolated Link. Hope the wording handful is just playing it down, I'd like to see Link come across some interesting characters throughout the story.

Disappointing, but it makes sense basing it off the first Zelda game and considering the "ruin" of Hyrule. I doubt it's some kind of technological limitation or anything like that.

EDIT:

I'd like to see Link come across some interesting characters throughout the story.

Yeah this is my main concern too :/

Oddduck

Hm, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

But it makes sense with the overall theme of the game. (exploring the wild)

I hate it when threads introduce factoids like this without context. Just invites the shitposts.

Personally, I'm okay with it, given the emphasis on exploration and the survivalist sort of feel the game is shooting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom