• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild: Possible Timeline Convergence? What I know!

Feltrol

Banned
Hello, everyone! Since the reveal of Breath of the Wild I've been taking note of many interesting posts from all the current Zelda threads. The main focus of these posts is the following: There appears to be many elements from previous Zelda games on this new Zelda game!

So you might be asking yourself: Where could this game fit in the current timeline? Well, that's one pretty hard question to answer. Without further ado, let's begin! (MOST IMAGES EXPAND!)

First of all, some locations looked familiar:

Temple of Time
6_Hero01_Large.jpg

Ocarina of Time

UvwsV9q.png

Breath of the Wild

NOTE: Even the game marks that same location as the "Temple of Time", so I'm pretty sure it is OoT's one after all.

gh4HX48.png

Bridge of Eldin / Great Bridge of Hylia
Bridge_of_Eldin_2.jpg

or
047.jpg
Lake_Hylia_TP.jpg

Twilight Princess

Eh5sutq.png

Breath of the Wild

Great Bridge of Hylia has water underneath it, so it's the most likely candidate.

The resting place of the Master Sword
RqfEnFH.png

Skyward Sword

Master-Sword.jpg

A Link to the Past

MIOgXTj.png

Breath of the Wild

Thought the most likely candidate for this place appears to be from ALTTP, SS's background fits more the place in my opinion. The pedestal is different (a minor detalit) for example, so it could be neither!

We also have...

- A Korok from The Wind Waker. It resembles a character called Elma, actually!

- The Old Man could actually be a reference to:

...or some kind of ancestor /descendant from The King of Red Lions!

CDqneOW.jpg

[Original post by NeoGAF user Nairmune]

...or perhaps... Ganondorf in disguise?!

- Hylia's Statue from Skyward Sword. It appears to be inside the Temple of Time.

- An UFO

...which could possibly be:
latest

A Twilight Portal from Twilight Princess

...or more believeable:

M6m70Me.gif

[Original post by Reddit user FacenessMonster]
THIS! An airship?! a zeppelin?! Skyloft from Skyward Sword?! Sky City from Twilight Princess?!

- The Timeline Convergence

ONE LAST THING: If
Link has slept for 100 years
, it's very possible that he is a
previous link, don't you think?!

And there are still many things to discover! Don't worry, though -- I will try to keep this thread updated with the latest discoveries.

EDIT:

User MajorMane posted the following image:

qxEqTpD.png

What's interesting here is that it speaks about an ancient sea. Maybe Wind Waker's sea?

More Koroks! Images by users MajorMane and TheNormalMan

Aldo_Figurine.png
iJp3xJ4.png

Aldo

Olivio_Figurine.png
BotW_Korok2.png

Olivio

Hollo_Figurine.png
BotW_Korok3.png

Hollo

All from Wind Waker! Why are they still present, though? Aldo even mentions that he has "friends hiding out all around", which could mean there are many Koroks left to be discovered.

Also, there's this quote from the Deku Tree from Wind Waker, which could possible mean the Koroks were successful in their missions:

"Forests hold great power: they can change one tiny island into a much larger island. Soon, a day will come when all the islands are one, connected by earth and grove. And the people who live on that great island will be able to join hands and, together, create a better world. Such is my dream."

Source: Legend of Zelda Wiki

This thread is dedicated to all the Zelda fans out there! Keep being an awesome and inspiring community.
And thank you, Chaos 17, for inspiring me to make this thread.

TreIII

ONE LAST THING: If
Link has slept for 100 years
, it's very possible that he is a
previous link, don't you think?!

It would be funny if this game's Link turned out to be
The "Original", Z1/AOL Link, back in action again, after all this time!

But anyway...it would be funny if the main way that Aonuma and crew finally deal with the whole "timeline" thing is to pull some type of low-level, DC-style "Crisis" event of sorts that merges all of Hyrule's histories together in some way.

Could be very interesting, in an already ambitious title!

ameleco

It would be funny if this game's Link turned out to be
The "Original", Z1/AOL Link, back in action again, after all this time!

But anyway...it would be funny if the main way that Aonuma and crew finally deal with the whole "timeline" thing is to pull some type of low-level, DC-style "Crisis" event of sorts that merges all of Hyrule's histories together in some way.

Could be very interesting, in an already ambitious title!

This. Literally all of this would be awesome including
original link
. The merging idea I've thought of before as I'm sure others have. The idea in and of itself sounds cool. I'm not sure we'll actually get that, but it's possible right now considering all the elements from previous games that are considered to be in the different parts of the split timeline. Of course, this could also just be because in each timeline, these elements popped up regardless of what happened. So, koroks could be in each part of the timeline, for example.

Edit: Also, how is the statue of Hylia in the Temple? The game has to take place before OoT then, no? The problem with that is Ganon if he's around.

Rockk

Honestly I think this game takes place after Zelda 2 in the fallen hero timeline. Mainly because of the parallels between Link trying to awaken Princess Zelda and now a female voice (most likely Zelda) wakes Link up from a deep sleep. Maybe it's just parallels or maybe it's a coincidence but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the trailer.

Not to mention their the only two Zelda games with a jump button. Zelda 2 Link is the same one and the only Link to ever know how to jump! It all makes sense!

MajorMane

If timeline convergence is too crazy for your tastes, currently I'm of the mindset that it's just in a post-Wind Waker world.

The Koroks in Wind Waker plant trees in a hope to one day drain the great sea and reunite the people of the islands in one place. They only appear in Wind Waker because they evolved due to the great flood. It's likely that over the years, their plan worked and they trained the great sea.

There's also an item called "Rock Salt" which references an ancient sea. (And why would it be found in the Great Plateau region if it once wasn't covered by water?):

Feltrol already mentioned the old man's uncanny resemblence to the King from WW, as well.

To explain the other landmarks, the Temple of Time could definitely still be the same one from OoT, with the flood and time ravaging it. The Great Hylian Bridge could be the same, although it's not as unique as the temple that it has to be the same one. I've also toyed around the idea that with the different timelines, you're going to get different characters/enemies/landmarks that are similar but also different. (Think comic book craziness.)

A big problem with this theory, however, is that in the WW timeline, they find a new continent and dub it new Hyrule. Why would the people leave this place if they were content here?

EDIT: Additionally, the Master Sword was lodged into the head of Ganondorf at the end of Wind Waker, so there's the problem of it seemingly being back in a pedestal in this game. But someone could've moved it after the waters receded, thus allowing for the return of Ganon as Calamity Ganon.

The Lamp

The convergence idea is neat because it matches the theme of these being legends where the details are all fuzzy and passed down and could be lost or mixed up over time. It's what I use to justify the inconsistent landmark locations across all the games.

120v

um... it's hyrule. of course there's going to be recurring characters/locations

not that the idea isn't cool though

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If true I like how the Goddess Hylia would then only be referenced in the earliest game in the series and the last game in the series and the dozen + games in between are all like "who dat?"

Feltrol

Banned

And to think we have seen just a little of the world and we've already found many tie-ins from the previous games. Just imagine the possibilities once we explore the world fully!

Shun

I was thinking this during the reveal and gameplay the other day with how Kooks can only exist within a Wind Waker timeline due to environmental change and how every other element can show up regardless of that fact. I personally think it will be some Turn A Gundam shit where the timelines all converge because of a consistent wall in every timeline that each hero hits.

Being Calamity Ganon.

Turn A Gundam is pretty cool.

Tritroid

From the other thread:

Following Wind Waker seems pretty legit.

Still, there are some things that don't quite fit. Where did the Sheikah slate and its technology come from (In Wind Waker, the Sheikah were pretty much extinct)? What are the Guardians, and why are they all over the place as if a major battle was fought, or they were protecting something (considerably around the Temple of Time)? And the biggest one, why is there so much emphasis on the Goddess Hylia, with a statue of her identical to the massive one from Skyward Sword inside the Temple of Time (In OoT and Wind Waker, she is almost completely forgotten)?

The Sheikah technology, as well as the Guardians, could be easily explained away if there is a considerable amount of time between when the Wind Waker oceans receded, and Breath of the Wild begins. Perhaps the Sheikah re-emerged to attempt to protect Hyrule without a Hero, or even to protect the Triforce (which at this point SHOULD be complete again)?

The Hylia bits though are extremely odd...and imply a heavy Skyward Sword influence. There is no mention what-so-ever of Hylia in games more recent to Breath of the Wild if this timeline theory is correct. Did Hylia return and intervene to prevent catastrophic events, just as was done in the centuries prior to Wind Waker?

My god, so many questions... :x

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Was it actually confirmed on stream that it takes place in the wind waker time line? or did people just see koroks and were like "oh must be wind waker time line"

Because if you ask me this looks like it would take place after zelda 2 since everything just looks so decayed.

Also if you consider that Skyward sword and OoT are games that happened in all 3 time lines then it would make sense for the ruins of the temple of time and the goddess statue to appear in the game regardless of which time line it happens in right?

Posted in another thread. My two cents:

Do you think that skeleton creature on the cliff is Stallord in Twilight Princess?

I remember Aonuma hinted connections between Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. Could this be one of these connections?

Aonuma said:
"While making the latest title for The Legend of Zelda, when I look at this remake, I feel like this is the origin point of the new title we’re making right now. After playing this game you may have some “Oh I see!” moments when playing the [upcoming] new game, so I’ll be glad if you play Twilight Princess HD while waiting in anticipation for the latest title of Legend of Zelda.

A poster suggested it looks like Captain Keeta from Majora's Mask, which sadly I have not yet played. What do you guys think?

MajorMane

Well, in regards to the Koroks, it's a pretty big deal. They're only in Wind Waker and for very specific reasons. Their evolution from the Kokiri was spurred on by the great flood. They gave up their humanity for the ability to fly.

The Temple of Time is usually a very pivotal location as well in these games. It's usually not different buildings which happen to have the same name.

Astral Dog

The world of Zelda (Hyrule) is everchanging, so locations like the Bridge of Eldin , Lanayru desert or the Temple of Time could easily exist on both timelines,they are not exclusive to one or another.

So if this is old Hyrule, for example, of the Wind Waker/Ocarina of Time timeline, it would have the Bridge of Eldin and the Statue of the Goddesses introduced in later games.

im thinking this is far in the future, as Koroks are there, maybe the old Hyrule resurfaced from the depths of the ocean.

Timeaisis

Seems like it has elements of WW, OOT and Twilight Princess. Looks like they are merging some timelines to me. Sounds cool.

It could just be that the Twilight realm is crossing over to the WW timeline. We do have Wolf Link coming out of Twilight portals too. And this might have been telegraphed by the fact that the last 3 console Zelda releases were SS, WW HD, and TP HD.

120v

Well, in regards to the Koroks, it's a pretty big deal. They're only in Wind Waker and for very specific reasons. Their evolution from the Kokiri was spurred on by the great flood. They gave up their humanity for the ability to fly.

The Temple of Time is usually a very pivotal location as well in these games. It's usually not different buildings which happen to have the same name.

i would just take that to mean it takes place after wind waker

Kouriozan

Found the quote

Aonuma: "When I look at this [Twilight Princess] remake, I feel like this is the origin point of the new title we’re making right now. After playing [Twilight Princess] you may have some "Oh I see!" moments when playing the new [Wii U] game, so I’ll be glad if you play 'Twilight Princess HD' while waiting in anticipation for the latest title of 'Legend of Zelda'."

bachikarn

My issue with this being post WW is that how the fuck does a giant ocean dry up? It would also go against the ending of that game where the idea was that Hyrule was completely destroyed so a new world could be created.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I always hated the Koroks. The idea that the nice little Kokori turned into those messed up little tree creatures always bummed me out. I would love for someone to spy a Kikwi though and really screw up everyone's idea of what is going on.

Elma isn't the only Korok that can be seen in the Great Plateau. IGN posted a video of someone climbing to the top of the Temple of Time and another Korok appeared:
iJp3xJ4.png

This one appears to be Aldo from WW
Aldo_Figurine.png

I know there was at least one more that popped up in the Treehouse stream.

MajorMane

My issue with this being post WW is that how the fuck does a giant ocean dry up? It would also go against the ending of that game where the idea was that Hyrule was completely destroyed so a new world could be created.

see

The Koroks in Wind Waker plant trees in a hope to one day drain the great sea and reunite the people of the islands in one place. They only appear in Wind Waker because they evolved due to the great flood. It's likely that over the years, their plan worked and they trained the great sea.

Tritroid

Which timeline does everyone want this to be a continuation of?

My vote would honestly be for the child timeline, following MM, TP, and FSA, mostly because that timeline seems like it's lacking compared to the others.

The adult timeline seems like it has it's own 'Zelda version' to be honest, where Nintendo can throw in toon Link adventures as much as they please.

The Fallen Hero timeline is so much of a jumbled mess that I'd partially like to see BoW make some damn sense of it...but I feel like that'd almost be impossible.

At some point after Phantom Hourglass a new continent is discovered or something. We know Spirit Tracks takes place in that timeline, after WW and PH, and there's plenty of ground there. The era of ST is the era of rebirth... oh shit. Maybe this takes place at the beginning of the era of rebirth, between PH and ST.

Convergence would be so perfect because the NX itself is reported to be a convergence. There will no longer be separate titles for console and handheld (if reports are true). I buy this theory OP. Thumbs up.

Eblo

I had the same theory with the same reasons op, so clearly this must be true and we're onto something

Top Bottom