• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild: Possible Timeline Convergence? What I know!

RagnarokX

In 1998, before that, he said LttP was a sequel to Zelda 2: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Miyamoto_Order

This was a shock to me when I first read it, but it was actually back on Gaf in early 2000 that it was explained to me. Originally in Japan, LttP was called "Gods of the Triforce" and it is my understanding that it was considered to be a sequel. It made references to the imprisoning war that took place in OoT (although I think that is not longer the case due to ALBW?), but itself was a sequel. It was only in the USA where it was considered blatantly a prequel.

Obviously since then, this doesn't make sense. But that's kind of my point. Nintendo doesn't really care and will change up the timeline whenever they feel like. Maybe they are being stricter now that they released the Hyrule Historia.

OoT was made with the intent that it tell the story of ALttP's prologue about the Imprisoning War. However some time between OoT and WW Nintendo apparently abandoned this idea, likely because OoT doesn't really make any sense as the Imprisoning War and Zelda 2's plot paints them into a corner.

OoT was designed to create a 2-branch split timeline. The ending has details that set up the split timeline explicitly. Link has the triforce in his hand when he goes to warn Zelda about Ganon at the end, which shows that the timeline is different from the original. This sets up Ganon having the triforce in TP. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess essentially closed off both branches to ALttP being part of the timeline.

With Hyrule Historia, Nintendo thought up a contrivance to restore ALttP to the timeline. OoT is the story of how Ganon got the complete triforce, which he has in ALttP. He defeated Link, got the complete triforce, made his wish, and then was sealed by Zelda and the sages. The Imprisoning War happens centuries after that.

Im really hyped to see the Zora's Domain in this game after the huge letdown that was the Parella and the Parella Domain in Skyward Sword (A.K.A proto zora)

I'm of two minds about Zelda continuity. I have little use for timeline shenanigans (it may not be complicated, as these things go, but it's also not interesting) or generalized call-backs, but I do think very specific use of established characters and lore helped make Wind Waker's the most effective story in the series.

Mak

In 1998, before that, he said LttP was a sequel to Zelda 2: http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Miyamoto_Order

This was a shock to me when I first read it, but it was actually back on Gaf in early 2000 that it was explained to me. Originally in Japan, LttP was called "Gods of the Triforce" and it is my understanding that it was considered to be a sequel. It made references to the imprisoning war that took place in OoT (although I think that is not longer the case due to ALBW?), but itself was a sequel. It was only in the USA where it was considered blatantly a prequel.

Obviously since then, this doesn't make sense. But that's kind of my point. Nintendo doesn't really care and will change up the timeline whenever they feel like. Maybe they are being stricter now that they released the Hyrule Historia.

That order was wrong because that "quote" from Miyamoto that was published by Nintendo of America on Zelda.com was either mistranslated, or Miyamoto goofed.

Even before that it was ALttP->LA->Z1->Z2 even in Japan. Hyrule Historia just put it in print. The Dengeki 64 quote from few months later, and the interview conducted with the staff in 1998 discredits it. In a interview a year or so before, Miyamoto also said Ganon from the SNES game was in human form before he becomes a monster.

Famimaga 64, Nov 1997
Q: Are the backrounds different in the child and adult eras?

Miyamoto: During the time when Link is an adult, conditions are intensified. Ganon, from the Super NES game, is a human form before he transforms into a monster. Ganon's elements change during the adult, since he changes into a monster.​

A Link to the Past is called "Triforce of the Gods" in Japan, but even the Japanese box references the previous games when it mentions it takes place long before the character "Link" accomplished something.

Back of Japanese "Triforce of the Gods" box translation

The stage is set in the period when Hyrule was one country, long before the actions of Link. Run, crash, carry, throw. Push, pull, swim, swing your sword.... In the kingdom of Hyrule move freely. If you get your hands on the golden power of the "Triforce" will you become a legendary hero?"​

Yoshiaki Koizumi, director of Super Mario Galaxy at EAD Tokyo, was responsible for the backstory that appears in the manual of A Link to the Past and the artwork, along with Link's Awakening's manual backstory, and was one of the original directors for Ocarina of Time, who worked alongside Script Director Toru Osawa (Kid Icarus' creator) on OoT, so the stories during that time had a consistency that referenced previous games.
http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

http://www.1101.com/nintendo/nin1/index.htm - 1998
http://www.glitterberri.com/ocarina-of-time/1101-interviews/parts-they-want-you-to-see/

Toru Osawa (Script Director): In this game there are 7 sages that appear and instruct Princess Zelda, but 6 of those appear in the Disk System game “Adventure of Link” as town names.

We were hinting that the names of the sages in the era of the Imprisoning War spoken of in the Super Famicom Zelda game became town names in AoL. The events from that time became what we have today.

A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link’s Awakening for GameBoy also appeared in this Zelda game. We’re hoping that people who’ve played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder “is this a reference to then?” we’ll be happy.​

Thats the beautiful thing about the Zelda Timeline. You can enjoy as a standalone game if you don't care and you can see all the references and hints that connect the game to the timeline and lore if you are a hardcore fan.

NeonZ

Temple of Time is buried under the sea with the rest of Hyrule.

The Great Deku Tree had a plan to make the land grow back to the surface by planting some special trees on the various islands. The current Wind Waker sequels didn't follow that, since they follow Tetra and Link to a new land, but it's possible that the Deku Tree's plan would eventually bring Hyrule's ruins back to the surface.

Alternatively, the Fallen Hero timeline also could work. The Kokiri disappeared in all timelines, so it's possible that in all of them they become Koroks. The game seems to be taking a lot of Wind Waker inspiration though, like using Bokoblins as the main enemy grunts and the Chu Chu jelly enemies. So, I think a sequel to Wind Waker seems likely at this point.

User1608

Banned
Funny thing is I don't really like the idea. It feels too convoluted and complex. I like my Zelda plots simple. TP was as complex as I'll take it, if not a little too complex. One of the things I disliked about SS the most was how hard it tried with its plot to setup the entire rest of the series. I like the story telling in the series, it's simple but engaging and endearing, which is what good fairy tale/legends do. They take simple premises and ideas and make you care about them a lot. A convergence story would be too meta and complex an undertaking I think. But given the direction Nintendo has gone with the series since TP and SS plot wise I wouldn't put it past them. Hopefully the huge shakeups we've seen in the gameplay extends to the story and returning back to that light touch style that worked so well in the other games.

Make a connection with other games in the series, but don't get hung up on it.
I don't blame you really, but while I as always into the stories of the older games, I got really into theorizing when the split was confirmed many years ago and made a thing, so I'm a bit biased in saying I'd love that, hah hah.

I think it's a matter of pulling it off well, and I do feel Nintendo has done a decent job all things considered, but I do agree it can become a bit overwhelming. Hopefully, whatever they do in regards to story in BoTW will be at least sufficient and enjoyable for all.

kunonabi

If hooded Link really is just Link I wonder if there is a story purpose to it that may help figure things out. Are Ganon's forces hunting him? Could there be a reason he doesn't want people to know that the Hero has returned?

Phu

Banned
Where's the Courage come from then?

Maybe that's why the land is in ruins, because the trio wasn't complete?

We're dealing with characters who are essentially reincarnated over and over again. What if Link got desynced from this cycle for some reason? This series has enough time shenanigans where maybe there was an era of just Wisdom and Power without the Courage, and putting Link into that chamber was a means to correct this and restore balance? Just spitballin.

SkyOdin

By the way, I have a random theory about the Great Plateau. Take a look at the map of it:

esPyfvh.png

Now, it isn't perfect, but I think that the Great Plateau is supposed to be the Hyrule from A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. There is the Temple of Time, of course. That connects the Plateau pretty immediately to Ocarina of TIme. However, there is also a forest located north of the old city at the center of the Plateau, which roughly corresponds to the Lost Woods from A Link to the Past. There is also a sizable body of water named the Hylia River, which obviously relates to Lake Hylia. Now, there is also a large mountain, which serves as the source of the water of the Hylia River, similar to the mountain in A Link to the Past. There is also the Eastern Abbey labeled on the map, which might be equivalent to the Eastern Palace of A Link to the Past. Finally, the northeastern part of the Great Plateau isn't named, but it appears to be an area with scattered pools of shallow water. It might be a swampy area similar to the marsh located south of the castle in ALttP.

The locations and names are mixed up a bit, but every one of A Link to the Past's major geographical areas seems to be represented on the Great Plateau, other than the Desert of Mystery. Furthermore, we have the words of the old man in Breath of the Wild that the Great Plateau represents the oldest part of Hyrule. This somewhat resembles the story behind the Fallen Hero timeline: after A Link to the Past, Hyrule experienced a golden age that saw the country grow in size to become the vast kingdom seen in The Adventure of Link.

Now, it is also plausible that the Hyrule of ALttP and OoT is situated on a plateau. The Hyrule of both games is clearly landlocked, surrounded by mountains with no access to the sea. However, Lake Hylia has river running out of it towards the ocean. Instead, it appears that the water of Lake Hylia flows out of an outlet on the bottom of the lake, where it travels underground; that outlet being the Water Temple/Lakebed Temple. If that is the case, then it is very likely that Lake Hylia sits well above sea level.

bachikarn

That order was wrong because that "quote" from Miyamoto that was published by Nintendo of America on Zelda.com was either mistranslated, or Miyamoto goofed.

snip

Alright, I am probably wrong. I remember reading some convincing stuff that LttP was originally a sequel, but it has been way too long, and I can't find any of it online.

Regardless, my main point is that Nintendo clearly is not scared to change up the timeline whenever they feel like. I wouldn't be surprised if this game turns everything on it's head.

Lol I always thought the mainline Zelda games weren't connected (Except for OOT-MM and ALTTP-ALBW), kinda like Final Fantasy, same universe but different story, reboot everytime. I guess they are connected then?

Funny how I never cared for the "Fallen Hero" idea before but I really like the theory of it being the background for this game.

In any case, I'm looking quite forward to playing as an amnesiac Link.

One thing I don't get about this timeline stuff is why does the same thing keep repeating over and over and who keeps designing new puzzles each time for a guy in a green suit to solve

Why not just lock the door and not have a key

Mak

Alright, I am probably wrong. I remember reading some convincing stuff that LttP was originally a sequel, but it has been way too long, and I can't find any of it online.

Regardless, my main point is that Nintendo clearly is not scared to change up the timeline whenever they feel like. I wouldn't be surprised if this game turns everything on it's head.

My point was the timeline never changed to begin with, new games were added, and misinformation was given from certain sources in the past, and eventually Hyrule Historia was published based on all the correct info. Nintendo of America infamously published different things on their Zelda.com website, but that didn't make it canon to the games just because the U.S. branch of Nintendo wrote something.

bachikarn

snip

Actually I found this by Dan Owsen, the guy responsible for the LttP translation and Zelda stuff in the 90s.

Total RPG: Dan, it appears something about the Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past translation is jumbled. It is said the events played out in Ocarina of Time were the events that happened in the story of A Link to the Past, and therefore were to solve many story holes. But if Zelda 3's instruction manual is read, these events sound completely different, and now there seem to be more holes than ever. It clearly states on the back of the box of A Link to the Past that it was a prequel to Zelda's 1 and 2, but Miyamoto says it comes after them. What's the truth?

Dan Owsen: The truth is, the text on the box (and possibly the Nintendo Power guide) is wrong. D'oh! If you just ignore the box text, the stories fit together better. Basically, the events in Ocarina are the "Imprisoning War" described in the SNES version's story. The Golden Land was the Sacred Realm before Ganondorf corrupted it. The order of the stories is: Ocarina, Zelda 1, Zelda 2, A Link to the Past. Since Link's Awakening was a dream (or was it?) it's hard to say where it fits.

RagnarokX

I wouldn't say the split timeline was simple or natural, it's just what had to happen and the threeway split was just what they decided to go with to the surprise of most. But I agree a convergence story would be too complex, but after TP and SS I'm not sure Nintendo will see that.

I also don't agree that they need to explain the Fallen Hero timeline. As I said above one of my biggest issues with SS was the fact that it tried too hard to setup the rest of the series and explain everything. It was a wholly unnecessary foundation story. The timeline is a nice little bridge between each game, setting up little easter eggs and connections with other games in the series, but I really don't think it's something they need to purposefully fill out and shape. Explanations don't equal good stories. Mystery and confusion is a good thing.

Especially in a series looking to emulate fairy tales and legends. Keeping things conflicted and a bit jarbled works with that motif. The larger picture is there and allows for fun speculation but when you go out of your way to fill in all the gaps, flesh it out and make sense of every connection you lose something.
What I mean is that the concept of the split timeline flows naturally with the flow of time. It makes sense without needing to the think about it that much. Link was sent back in time at the end of OoT and created a new timeline. Simple. Convergence goes against the natural flow of time and would require a MUCH more complex plot.

SS didn't try very hard to set anything up. One frustration I had with it is that it didn't do enough in that regard. It's basically just an adventure in the ancient past and the game nods and winks at you but doesn't do anything substantial. By "need" I mean they have a gap that could use filling and the just happen to be making a game that could perfectly fill it by adding 3 words. Just refer to him as "Hero of Time" in a line of dialog and the plot pretty much writes itself. The plot they already have implies he must have failed in the past, we already know of a Link who failed, and it would be much easier to make him a Link from a previous game than create a totally new scenario for him to fail in.

Hmmm, I like this idea a lot. It would easily explain the appearance and mention of Hylia all over the place and why the Shiekah are so prominent everywhere.

Yet there are also those Wind Waker connections to add in and things get fuzzy after that. Although to be fair the Koroks could easily be pre-WW and the Sea Salt item can easily refer to a different vast ocean and not the one in WW.
The only connection to Wind Waker is the Koroks, and nods like that don't mean much since Nintendo has cross-polluted the timelines with those kinds of things before. Lanayru Province was formerly an ancient sea that dried up pre-Skyward Sword.

Does Nintendo really develop Zelda stories this way ("we have an apparent hole in the timeline, so we should use this next game to fill it") or do they work backward from the core concept and physical setting and then find an appropriate place to tie the game into the lore ("I'd like to do a game on the ocean." "How could the ocean relate to Hyrule?")? Either way they could easily come to the story outline you describe, but my sense is that timelines are very much a secondary consideration for Nintendo.

In any case, I think your guess at the story is the most persuasive here because it accounts for the Sheikah, who are clearly going to be at the heart of this game's story.
Here's how I figure Zelda works. They have some vague ideas about stories they might like to tell. They DO plan SOME things ahead because they did explicitly set up the split timeline with OoT. They designed OoT around the idea of ALttP's prologue and showed Link at the end with the triforce in his hand setting up an alternate timeline. That means that they had some idea of what they wanted to do with the future of Zelda. The create a game first with the gameplay in mind, and then they chose a story to fit the gameplay, but this doesn't mean they don't have stories waiting to be told. In the case of this game, they wanted to make a game hearkening back to Zeldas of the past and chose a plot that would set up such gameplay and a world. Fallen Hero would be the best choice for that.

AGITΩ

This falls under the Wind Waker Path of the Timeline to me. The Flooded Hyrule of OoT was pretty much left to be pristine under the Great Sea.
Link and Tetra set off and built a new Hyrule
-Eventually that Kingdom became something else.
-Without the Goddesses blessings, the Great Sea evaporated and the Old Kingdom of Hyrule was re-exposed. Life settled back to the land, but without the Triforce, Ganondorf would eventually re-emerge and reclaim the Kingdom, even if he has to cast aside is former, now petrified in stone, Human self.
-The Old Man and the King Daphnes do share similarities, he stayed behind in Old Hyrule under the sea, and he was already a Relic of the Past, he might be cursed an Immortal, to bear witness to Old Hyrule until it's properly saved.
-You can summon Wolf Link/Link from TP which could be considered reaching in the past, but I see it as reaching through Parallel Universes from the Timeline Separation.
-Although you can see certain allusions to the world of TP, a lot of the constructs of that game were made Pre-TP, Some might even be Pre-OoT, but because of OoT's limited scope of the land, went unexplored. As such they would STILL EXIST in the WW Timeline, just under the Great Sea.
-A lot of the great heights and landmasses make sense, given the Islands of WW were for the most part, just the tops of mountains that people retreated to.

Just some quick thoughts I had.

Time is definitely a factor in this game. If you keep talking to the old man, he says he is just going to sit by his campfire "...waiting. Just passing the time, I suppose."

Passing the time in bright green text.

watershed

Banned
Timeline stuff aside, I'm super curious what that floating structure in the distance is. Magically floating island like Skyloft or another example of ancient technology?

Timeline convergence is kind of cool too though. It would almost be a greatest hits of Zelda stuff. But I'm not sure that fits with their whole theme of breaking tradition.

Tingle

AGITΩ;207286056 said:
This falls under the Wind Waker Path of the Timeline to me. The Flooded Hyrule of OoT was pretty much left to be pristine under the Great Sea.
-Without the Goddesses blessings, the Great Sea evaporated and the Old Kingdom of Hyrule was re-exposed. Life settled back to the land, but without the Triforce, Ganondorf would eventually re-emerge and reclaim the Kingdom, even if he has to cast aside is former, now petrified in stone, Human self.
-The Old Man and the King Daphnes do share similarities, he stayed behind in Old Hyrule under the sea, and he was already a Relic of the Past, he might be cursed an Immortal, to bear witness to Old Hyrule until it's properly saved.
-You can summon Wolf Link/Link from TP which could be considered reaching in the past, but I see it as reaching through Parallel Universes from the Timeline Separation.
-Although you can see certain allusions to the world of TP, a lot of the constructs of that game were made Pre-TP, Some might even be Pre-OoT, but because of OoT's limited scope of the land, went unexplored. As such they would STILL EXIST in the WW Timeline, just under the Great Sea.
-A lot of the great heights and landmasses make sense, given the Islands of WW were for the most part, just the tops of mountains that people retreated to.

I like your ideas, but I'm reluctant to assume Wolf Link is canon. It seems to just be an amiibo thing.

Mak

Actually I found this by Dan Owsen, the guy responsible for the LttP translation and Zelda stuff in the 90s.

Right, because Owsen is being interviewed in Feb of 1999 following the quote from the interview with Miyamoto published on Zelda.com by NOA in 1998 thinking they must have goofed when they localized it. (They weren't, Miyamoto's order quote is wrong)
http://web.archive.org/web/20010715234633/www.totalrpg.net/features.asp?FeatureID=20

This contradicts other quotes from Miyamoto from around 1998, as well as other staff who worked on Ocarina of Time, and having Yoshiaki Koizumi consistently work on the backstory to A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening and directing Ocarina of Time.

Also around the time of these interviews, Link's Awakening DX for GBC was released at the end of 1998 in Japan, and the Nintendo Co. Ltd (Japan) website for the game mentions its a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, with a Quicktime video of Link destroying Ganon in the Super Famicom game (also contradicting Miyamoto's quote that mentions Link's Awakening taking place anywhere. Remember, Yoshiaki Koizumi wrote the backstory to both Link's Awakening and A Link to the Past).
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n02/dmg/azlj/sutori.html

Dmax3901

What if the reason there's a whole bunch of destroyed Guardians near the Temple of Time is cause they were trying to stop someone going forward/back in time, but failed.

Tritroid

The female voice speaking to Link is more than likely Zelda. The old man (the King?) even asks Link 'Do you recognise the voice of the person speaking to you? Not yet hmm. Your memory will return in time' or something along those lines. Does Link wear a necklace/pendant? If so could be the Pirates charm/gossip stone.

I'm curious about this too, do you have a link to the stream that shows where this was said?

CronoShot

AGITΩ;207286056 said:

Here's another thought: You know how when Ganon reappeared in the WW prologue and the people waited for the hero to appear, but he never did?

Maybe the Sheikah were trying to "create" their own hero with their technology/magic (knowing that the hero was permanently gone from their timeline due to the events of the adult timeline of OoT), but the process wasn't completed in time to save Hyrule from the flood, and "Link" ends up waking up super late, far after the ocean already evaporated. And also with the ocean finally evaporated, Ganon's spirit is freed somewhat from his stone body, although limited in its movement.

I'm curious about this too, do you have a link to the stream that shows where this was said?

No link to it, but check out IGN's 20 minute runthrough of the opening sequence. Shows everything that needs to happen without people collecting apple and then getting sidetracked because of ADD.

JacoTheDex

Neo Member
This may sound a little far-fetched, but adding on to the Wind Waker connections, what if the game does place after Wind Waker - in a second Fallen Hero timeline?

In WW, Ganondorf desired the Triforce so he could bring back Hyrule from the sea to rule for himself. In one timeline, Link and Tetra would have succeeded in defeating Ganon and left the old Hyrule to eternally rest; in the second timeline, Ganon would succeed in touching the Triforce before Daphnes could/killing Link and Tetra and uses the Triforce to drain the Great Sea, allowing him to finally rule over the ruins of the ancient kingdom.

I'm not sure where Lin's Resurrection would come into this, but this was my immediate thought on the timeline.

Calamity Ganon almost looks like a force of nature, swirling around Hyrule Castle, barely contained by it. You can see the swirls forming the silhouette of his beast form with the horns.

Maybe his corporeal form was destroyed and he became a great evil spirit or something.

I thought I saw a cutscene of Calamity Ganon in the shape of Ganon from Ocarina of Time with the huge horns.
https://youtu.be/HGXg0KTgbY0?t=11m18s

Guys, those are clearly tusks, not horns. You can even see him open his huge gaping maw in that footage, with them clearly at the front of the upper jaw.

Time is definitely a factor in this game. If you keep talking to the old man, he says he is just going to sit by his campfire "...waiting. Just passing the time, I suppose."

Passing the time in bright green text.

Because you can sit next to a campfire to change the time of day.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is the thread I was waiting for.

I hadn't even considered a timeline convergence, but it is possible. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it is either:

-A follow-up to Wind Waker taking place in the drained sea

OR

-A straight up reimagining of Zelda 1/2, which Aonuma has even claimed that he directly based this game on. Hyrule is mentioned as being in decline in these games, so it fits.

If this were the second case, that would technically make it a sequel to A Link Between Worlds! In this timeline, we've also seen other worlds beyond Hyrule - Labrynna, Holodrum - so it's possible that the airship is from another nation. Even if this doesn't take place in said timeline, there are other lands besides Hyrule, which we even see directly in Spirit Tracks, so this remains a possibility. There are DEFINITE deliberate references to Skyward Sword in the Hylia statue and the technology we see some of the monsters and the airship using, which look very similar to the ancient technology seen throughout Skyward Sword, especially in Lanayru Desert's past sections. The Master Sword being in a grove while The Temple of Time still exists is a bit confusing, but it could have either been moved or that could be a glimpse of the decaying inside of the temple.

Alebrije

Really hope this games move to a new lore/ story saga, its cool to have references about past games but also is boring to go in circles about the same stories.

Think this is Hyrule but thousands of years on the future and people living there have stories of old cultures like we today talk about the Mayans or Greek culture

Looks more like it's just set in the distant future some time in the Wind Waker timeline? After the koroks restored Hyrule and now Ganon has returned.

Temple of Time, Goddess Statue etc already existed in that timeline, and there's no reason the Bridge of Eldin couldn't have been built between the events of OoT and the great flood.

Hylian7

Honestly, I doubt the timeline converges as that would still leave a lot of issues. However here's what I do think: This game takes place at the revival of Ganondorf between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

Ganondorf is revived and we never see this, only hear about it. The only issue with this is that in the story, the hero is not around to save Hyrule. Either this game will end in the great flood, or this game will have a different ending and have a FOURTH split on the timeline.

Or they could just go the "fuck it" route and say who cares, it's not even in the timeline.

If hooded Link really is just Link I wonder if there is a story purpose to it that may help figure things out. Are Ganon's forces hunting him? Could there be a reason he doesn't want people to know that the Hero has returned?

The seemingly most likely explanation is that it's merely a piece of headgear that increases your stealth stat.

I'm not doubting that at all. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Old Man turns out to be the old King of Hyrule, maybe Ganondorf himself, or even a Sheikah who is to protect Link. Either way he looks to have been around a really long time and until we get a conversation with another NPC it's going to be hard to say what the current 'myths and legends' of the land are or what the people think of all the ruins.

botw-story-1-524x287.jpg

botw-story-2-524x294.jpg

botw-story-7-524x296.jpg

But what I find interesting is that the Shiekah, not the Legendary Hero, is the savior of the land time and time again according to him, someone who might have been around to see or witness these events. So where was Link during this time? I doubt all of this happened in only 100 years.

Well how about this - what if the hero was gravely injured somehow and was forced to rest and heal for an indeterminate amount of years. Wanting to be proactive and prevent another destruction or enslavement by Ganon during the hero's slumber, the tribe of Sheikah developed advance technology to keep evil at bay and Hyrule at peace

Something happens. The technology fails, or even turns against them. Ganon invades, and with the last of their power they stop him, but at a great cost - he is sealed in Hyrule castle, not defeated, but at least bound

Without the master sword, the hero, or even the technology the people of Hyrule pray to the gods, but even they are silent. So ends the kingdom of Hyrule...

Honestly, I doubt the timeline converges as that would still leave a lot of issues. However here's what I do think: This game takes place at the revival of Ganondorf between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker.

Ganondorf is revived and we never see this, only hear about it. The only issue with this is that in the story, the hero is not around to save Hyrule. Either this game will end in the great flood, or this game will have a different ending and have a FOURTH split on the timeline.

Or they could just go the "fuck it" route and say who cares, it's not even in the timeline.

The kokiki evolved into the koroks to adapt to the great sea, so it's gotta be after Wind Waker.

Hylian7

The kokiki evolved into the koroks to adapt to the great sea, so it's gotta be after Wind Waker.

Is that said specifically though? Unless it was, for all we know it could have happened sometime when Ganondorf was revived.

It really wouldn't make any sense to go after Wind Waker, as Hyrule is underwater, and ST is somewhere completely different with none of this stuff.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
So just another theory to back up my previous thought on this being within the Wind Waker timeline.

In this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZj8q9PqzzY

You can see the opening for the game. We see Link waking up from a pool of water that he's been resting in. The water then drains from the container and Link rises.

I know it might be a stretch, but from a story telling perspective it's very well done if this is in the WW timeline. It shows a connection that the Great Sea has finally retracted and land is once again prominent.

Yrael

From Wind Waker, here's the explanation of the Koroks (from the Great Deku Tree):

"Well, then, [player_name]...
These are the Koroks - the spirits of
the forest.

Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks
took on human forms, but when they came
to live on the sea, they took these shapes.

Now they fear people...but to me, they will
ever be my cherished little children."

Feltrol

Banned
Is that said specifically though? Unless it was, for all we know it could have happened sometime when Ganondorf was revived.

It really wouldn't make any sense to go after Wind Waker, as Hyrule is underwater, and ST is somewhere completely different with none of this stuff.

The Korok's objective was apparently to retract the Great Sea, so it's possible. There's also this quote from the Deku Tree of Wind Waker:

The Great Deku Tree says in the game, "Once upon a time, long ago, the Koroks took on human forms, but when they came to live on the sea, they took these shapes."

The game is leaning more on the Wind Waker side of the timeline, apparently.

KingBroly

Banned
Here's another thought: You know how when Ganon reappeared in the WW prologue and the people waited for the hero to appear, but he never did?

Maybe the Sheikah were trying to "create" their own hero with their technology/magic (knowing that the hero was permanently gone from their timeline due to the events of the adult timeline of OoT), but the process wasn't completed in time to save Hyrule from the flood, and "Link" ends up waking up super late, far after the ocean already evaporated. And also with the ocean finally evaporated, Ganon's spirit is freed somewhat from his stone body, although limited in its movement.

If you go back and the watch the intro to Wind Waker, there is a key element missing to the entire intro which is kinda interesting. It's Zelda. She's not mentioned at all. Link defeated Ganon. Link saved Hyrule. Link failed to show up. But if you were there, you know that Zelda sealed Ganon away. She's the 7th Sage. She has the Triforce of Wisdom. Why, in a series called "The Legend of ZELDA" is there no Legend about her? I mean, I guess you can say they tried with Skyward Sword, but I wouldn't say it pushed her as much as it should have. Where was she at the time of Ganon's reincarnation as a supposed black cloud of death in the Wind Waker intro? It's all quite curious to me.

Hylian7

The Korok's objective was apparently to retract the Great Sea, so it's possible. There's also this quote from the Deku Tree of Wind Waker:

Okay, I see. Still really scratching my head for the other reasons I outlined though.

Unless another theory is that for some reason, Hyrule is shielded again, and this Link in sleep was OoT (or some other past Link) and Hyrule is actually underwater still...

This is going completely off the rails.

RagnarokX

Looks more like it's just set in the distant future some time in the Wind Waker timeline? After the koroks restored Hyrule and now Ganon has returned.

Temple of Time, Goddess Statue etc already existed in that timeline, and there's no reason the Bridge of Eldin couldn't have been built between the events of OoT and the great flood.
People keep saying this just based on the appearance of Koroks, but there is much more factors against this. IMO Adult Timeline is the least likely placement for this game.
-Hyrule was DESTROYED at the end of Wind Waker. The way the ruins in this game look this set within 100 years of OoT. These aren't ruins that have been underwater.
-New Hyrule was settled and people were enjoying an industrial revolution. Even if the Great Sea was drained, why would anyone go back to hicksville Hyrule?
-The games getting the most references are OoT and Skyward Sword. The general geography is very OoT, the Temple of Time is straight out of OoT. Lots of references to Hylia and the pre-Skyward Sword technologically advance Sheikah civilization.
-Ganon straight up died in Wind Waker. This would have to be a new Ganon or a reincarnation of Ganon.

The addition of koroks isn't a big enough deal to overlook this stuff. They could exist in any timeline for different reasons. Nintendo has had out-of-timeline references before. Like having Toon Link show up all across the timeline, Wind Waker's Tingle design everywhere, Kokiri references in TriForce Heroes.

Also the bridge is based on the Great Bridge of Hylia, not the Bridge of Eldin.

In the OP though, Wind Waker Deku Tree quote: "Forests hold great power: they can change one tiny island into a much larger island. Soon, a day will come when all the islands are one, connected by earth and grove. And the people who live on that great island will be able to join hands and, together, create a better world. Such is my dream."

Very distant future after the Deku Tree and Koroks managed to realise their dream.

I mean, it'd be a weird choice considering they used Spirit Tracks to show the New Hyrule Link and Tetra founded, but the Zelda timeline is weird enough as it is.

Yrael

The Old Man is not a normal person. He lives on the sacred plateau where no one is allowed an knows things he shouldn't know. He's most likely in charge of watching over Link while he was in stasis and knows of the time before Skyward Sword where the Sheikah and their technology flourished and they were the servants of Hylia who protected the land.

He reminds me very much of Rauru.

Top Bottom