• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D -- The Yellow Debate

Vanille

Why would you do that? said:
Have you played both the Gamecube and Wii versions of Twilight Princess?

Yes. The game didn't feel different in any way, it was just annoyingly disorientating.

I don't know, I think Castle Town looks a little "too" vibrant. Clashing colors all over the place. The distinct atmosphere and color palette of the N64 version's Castle Town made it stand out.

Any changes are interesting though, playing through this will be more like a tour to observe all the changes instead of really "replaying" it for me.
Still think they should have waited for Wii 2 and did a real HD remake, but this is life. Super-resolution/texture mods on N64 emulator for that.

jetsetfluken said:
The distinct atmosphere and color palette of the N64 version's Castle Town made it stand out.
The color palette was grey with a hint of brown.
When I was a kid I just looked for polygonal looking things because the whole town was such a blurry mess on my tv.

jetsetfluken said:
I don't know, I think Castle Town looks a little "too" vibrant. Clashing colors all over the place. The distinct atmosphere and color palette of the N64 version's Castle Town made it stand out.

I found it a bit bland and lifeless to be honest -- a town that had about 10 people in it... and even back then it was a blurry pre-rendered mess to me. I like the added personality..

and I think it'll just make for greater contrast when you
return as Adult Link and the whole place is fucked up, with Re-Deads wandering about etc

I always loved the overhead camera in the section before the gates to the caste town, it was one of the sharpest looking prerendered backdrops for some reason.

Ahoi-Brause said:
The color palette was grey with a hint of brown.
When I was a kid I just looked for polygonal looking things because the whole town was such a blurry mess on my tv.

I don't think it looked too bad back on even 1998-standard high end SDTV's. Though I was playing for the first time on a TV that I got around 1992, about 20".

Oh, what could have been. The 64DD "full version"/expansions that is.
Really hoping they are utilizing most of the scrapped stuff here. Still don't see many beta elements in though.

radioheadrule83 said:
I found it a bit bland and lifeless to be honest -- a town that had about 10 people in it... and even back then it was a blurry pre-rendered mess to me. I like the added personality..

return as Adult Link and the whole place is fucked up, with Re-Deads wandering about etc

To each his own, I found that "bland" to be part of the atmosphere of it. I don't know, back then the town itself seemed so HUGE. Especially with the explorable alleys and scale of the Temple of Time overlooking.
But you're right about the contrasting thing, it'll be interesting how they remake the Adult version of the town and such.

Effect

BGBW said:
noKqX.png

Very, very, very nice! I hope the rest of the game looks as good as this.

Bubs Mugumbo

Neo Member
radioheadrule83 said:

Seriously can't wait to see what it looks like!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hyrule Castle Town is supposed to be colorful and vibrant. It's basically a marketplace with street performers souvenir shops, and game stands.

I always found the colors odd in the original versoin. I mean, it looked fine, but it was kind of dull and bland, it felt more like a boardwalk than a market.

TaintedEden

Neo Member
Wow, I finally got my neogaf account to work, been lurking here for a year or more. :D

Anyways, first post time...OOT3D looks absolutely stunning, especially in the latest footage and screenshots. I remember playing this game all the way back in '98 and I've been playing it consistently pretty much every year/couple years since. I can't wait to relive those moments again.

Boss Rush mode sounds pretty boss.

Sir Pant

Wow, castle town looks amazing! At first I wasn't so sure about getting this game, but with all the graphical improvements it will make the replay seem really fresh.

Now make Majora's Mask 3D

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Castle town looks hot. Not the best 3DS game graphically, sure, but a nice update over the original

GaimeGuy said:
Hyrule Castle Town is supposed to be colorful and vibrant. It's basically a marketplace with street performers souvenir shops, and game stands.

I always found the colors odd in the original versoin. I mean, it looked fine, but it was kind of dull and bland, it felt more like a boardwalk than a market.
Yup, this is actually one instance where I support the vibrant colours. It adds so much more to Hyrule Castle Town to me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played this game in 1998 and didn't finish it (don't throw things at me!). I'll try to finish it this summer, I just have so much more time to play on a handheld.

marc^o^ said:
I played this game in 1998 and didn't finish it (don't throw things at me!). I'll try to finish it this summer, I just have so much more time to play on a handheld.
Well, you could use the OoT 3D's version of the Super Guide to help you finish that game. No more will you be stuck in the Water Temple!

Vanille said:
Yes. The game didn't feel different in any way, it was just annoyingly disorientating.
I thought it was for the better. It made the game feel fresh, even though I already beat it.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
marc^o^ said:
*throws things at you*

Truth101

Banned
Castle town looks so much better, but I still wish that the remake would get more polishing before release. Though I know it looks a lot better in motion.

NEO0MJ

PatmanBegins said:
Because I'd get to see all of those improvements, only I wouldn't know the solutions to all of the puzzles if I got to play Master Quest from the outset. It's not like the storyline is different in MQ. I adore this game, but imo it's only a justifiable purchase if I can experience it as fresh as possible. I personally don't like replaying linear storylines in games, but for this game I would do so, if the meat of the game (puzzles) is altered enough to seem new to me.

Same here. I just don't have the time to play it twice, so playing MQ from the get go would be preferable.

GaimeGuy said:
*throws things at you*

*Aids in his effort*

Prime Blue said:
What is the blue square for on the map? Is it where you're supposed to go? I thought the glowing yellow dots were for that.

But I guess it's possible that, in the N64 screenshot, Link needs to go to Zelda, and in the 3DS shot, Link has Zelda's note, so the blue square moves to Kakariko.

Prime Blue said:
I feel a little bad that the first thing I noticed here was something different about Zelda...

Edit: I feel a little better now. :p

Why would you do that? said:
I feel a little bad that the first thing I noticed here was something different about Zelda...

Edit: I feel a little better now. :p

Nintendo is pandering to the lolicon fanbase. expect to see young Zelda in panties pillows.

Christopher

this Majora's Mask my Mario 64 DS and a maybe a donkey kong country collection solid game will have me in heaven. Loving the 3DS <3.

This will be the first 3D game I buy though hopefully it won't strain my eyes x_x

Darktails

jett said:
OG title screen is definitely the best.
True. The color-scheme is really atmospheric. The remake is a lot more colorful overall. I don't dislike this new look, but I prefer the darker blue-ish tones of the original. Maybe this is due to nostalgia. I don't know.

Darktails said:
True. The color-scheme is really atmospheric. The remake is a lot more colorful overall. I don't dislike this new look, but I prefer the darker blue-ish tones of the original. Maybe this is due to nostalgia. I don't know.
I prefer the original as well.

From The Dust said:
Nintendo is pandering to the lolicon fanbase. expect to see young Zelda in panties pillows.
The Ruto ones will be amazing.

From The Dust said:
I consider it an honor to work more or less alone on an original sequel, as opposed to co-developing a remake.

Censored A button?
won't someone think of the children?

Looks wonderful. I guess I'll be happy playing the original quest, seeing as I haven't played it in so long. The MS will be a delightful bonus.

Top Bottom