• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda Wii U Gameplay Demo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogoud

Horse Riding Simulator 2015, huge lifeless world they have lots to do, as that demo makes me want them to shrink the map and pack more in rather than "it will take another 4 mins riding", I have faith though it is Nintendo they tend to show crap demos at the beginning then bang close to release shit looks amazing :)

kinda funny thing about big open worlds... they have empty segments where you just go through from a to b. skyrim had those. red dead had those. granted red dead had random events. maybe this game will too have random events.

open world games not set in big cities are usually empty. Especially the parts going from one town/village to the next. we have yet to see any thing.

People are making it seem that going ~10% of the map = 100%. we have not really seen anything. They skipped through a lot of shit.

My reaction when they zoom out in that map:

iCDqI0s.gif

But map seems to be very very empty :( but they have a year so lets hope its more filled out by then.

Fuck. That game looked awesome. What the hell is up with people dissing the the game? I look forward to all the crow eating when the game is released. You know the game is going to end up amazing. Metacritic over 90.

People are making judgments based upon what they see.
Everyone knows this game is based on early footage. That's being taken into consideration.

RiZ III

Visuals look incredible. The grass is the best I've seen in a game. Love how it interacts with the horse. The world seems rather dead though. I'm thinking it will be a more alive in the actual game.

JoV

The whole point of the trailer, to me, was to show off that this is going to be another Zelda game. They've been talking about including all sorts of new things, of making an open world game, with what looks to be quick time events and whatnot. But that in the end the game will essentially be about riding around on epona through vast open fields and shooting stuff with your bow. Like all the other main 3D Zelda games.

I like how they have enough confidence in the final product to show it off at a fairly rough stage. If they were happy with the build they wouldn't have show it off tv like that. But they wanted to show that the essential gameplay is still going to be there imo.

cajunator

Banned
Looks promising. Hopeful that the world is more populated than Twilight Princess.
i dont want huge worlds for the sake of size with nothing to do.
Im reallllllly excited to see dungeon footage.

Hmm not my thing sadly. I mean ok the scope and all, but ifts mostly empty stuff, I dont really care for it. I hope its gonna be more 'dense' once its out. Lightning looks really good though

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I'm disappointed. I thought it'd look better tbh. Hopefully because it's still early and off-screen it'd look much better when we have the game in our hands.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Looks cool but the game seem horribly late into development.

If they can't show anything better is worrying.

I would imagine that they don't want to show anything better yet. Just remember the two 3D World trailers which were 4 or 5 months apart. We're looking at a game that won't be in our hands until almost a solid year from right now.

Neff

I don't get all the comments about emptiness and "needs more wildlife and houses" (everyone is entitled to their own thoughts). This was a tiny snippet of a huge overworld for a game with another year left in development. On top of that, there doesn't need to be deer, wolves and bears around every corner for the sake of keeping your attention and becoming unrealistic. I grew up near the Cascades and what they have shown gets my heart pumping for exploration - I simply cannot wait. It also feels like a great return to the original Zelda.

Agreed. It looks no more or less empty than Xenoblade Chronicles or FFXV to me, at least in terms of distinct locales. There were enemies, wildlife, landmarks- couldn't really ask for more from a teaser this early, and I don't doubt for a second that they have some really showstopping stuff to reveal closer to release.

I would imagine that they don't want to show anything better yet. Just remember the two 3D World trailers which were 4 or 5 months apart. We're looking at a game that won't be in our hands until almost a solid year from right now.

Yep. They didn't show shit in the first 3D World trailer, and not because it wasn't ready. They just didn't want to blow their load early.

Now where are all those people who are hyped for No Man's Sky? :p

Have watched it a few more times and while there's some rough patches some people are over using hyperbole. It's also entirely possible that they cut out some interesting landmarks and/or encounters in between the footage shown to keep the surprise. I suppose.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I figured out a rough estimate of the size of the fully zoomed out map that was shown in the video.
Each of these dots is one of the trees that we see in the valley that Link jumps into.
I measured the space between this U shaped body of water, and found that about 16 trees could fit into that space.
This is when the map is fully zoomed out. I circled where the U shaped river is. The space between the top of the U holds about 16 trees. On my laptop monitor this space was about 1/16th of an inch, which means that 1 inch of space on my monitor was equal to 256 trees.
I'm assuming that the trees are about 20 feet in diameter, but that's just a guess. If someone could better estimate the diameter of the tree then this could be much more accurate.

On my monitor, the zoomed out map had dimensions of roughly 5.5 x 4.5 inches. If you multiply each of these by the number of trees per inch, you get an 1408 x 1152 grid of trees.

When I multiply the number of trees by 20, I get that the map shows an area of 28160 x 23040 feet. This is equal to an area of 5.42 x 4.36 miles (8.7 x 7.1 Km). That's equivalent to 23.6 square miles or 61.8 square kilometers.

These figures are probably off by a few hundred (or thousand) feet, but they give a good estimate of how truly huge the new Hyrule will be.

I didn't think an open world was going to lend to Zelda and Nintendo's strong suits here.
Nintendo has typically been about tight and controlled gameplay. A more limited design is much easier to test and polish.

I could almost see the game being a bit rough around the edges just because of this.

Axass

Here...

Someone play the E3 reveal teaser trailer on a 46 inch flat screen. Put it next to a window during a sunny day. Then record that flat screen with a camera setup far enough that the screen takes up no more than one-sixth of the frame, and at a ~20-degree angle.

Then we can have a fair comparison.

You don't really have to do that. The whole scene in the forest, during the chase, simply looks better due to the greater amount of details of the place, the better geometry of the environment, the cinematic cuts of the camera, the massive well designed enemy surrounded by various effects, the cool looking arrow, etc. Those aren't things that get lost due to the game being shown off-screen, at an angle in a bright room and at a lower resolution: those things simply weren't there. Because it was a gameplay demo, limited to specific stuff only; the original trailer was literally built to create hype and excitement, not to show the gameplay.

Kinsei

Banned
Agreed. It looks no more or less empty than Xenoblade Chronicles or FFXV to me, at least in terms of distinct locales. There were enemies, wildlife, landmarks- couldn't really ask for more from a teaser this early, and I don't doubt for a second that they have some really showstopping stuff to reveal closer to release.

Xenoblade has for the most part a lot of enemies in the larger areas. While there is some down time that can be kinda boring, you're almost always fighting or avoiding something while on your way to the next objective. If this game ends up being as packed as Xenoblade it would be the most delicious crow I've ever eaten.

I figured out a rough estimate of the size of the fully zoomed out map that was shown in the video.

Each of these dots is one of the trees that we see in the valley that Link jumps into.

I measured the space between this U shaped body of water, and found that about 16 trees could fit into that space.

This is when the map is fully zoomed out. I circled where the U shaped river is. The space between the top of the U holds about 16 trees. On my laptop monitor this space was about 1/16th of an inch, which means that 1 inch of space on my monitor was equal to 256 trees.

I'm assuming that the trees are about 20 feet in diameter, but that's just a guess. If someone could better estimate the diameter of the tree then this could be much more accurate.

On my monitor, the zoomed out map had dimensions of roughly 5.5 x 4.5 inches. If you multiply each of these by the number of trees per inch, you get an 1408 x 1152 grid of trees.

When I multiply the number of trees by 20, I get that the map shows an area of 28160 x 23040 feet. This is equal to an area of 5.42 x 4.36 miles (8.7 x 7.1 Km). That's equivalent to 23.6 square miles or 61.8 square kilometers.

These figures are probably off by a few hundred (or thousand) feet, but they give a good estimate of how truly huge the new Hyrule will be.

Hello mama

silenttwn

If they can't show anything better is worrying.

Thanks for your insight. You clearly have a good grasp of how Nintendo structures their development and how to measure their progress based on five minutes of footage.

sfried

Seems like this video has been heavily edited. Either they've been keeping certain parts secret or they don't want to show certain enemy encounters. So far, only the Bokoblins return, and that item that lets you float (name escape me atm) are the only ones they're willing to reveal. In short, its such a tease.

JoeM86

You don't really have to do that. The whole scene in the forest, during the chase, simply looks better due to the greater amount of details of the place, the better geometry of the environment, the cinematic cuts of the camera, the massive well designed enemy surrounded by various effects, the cool looking arrow, etc. Those aren't things that get lost due to the game being shown off-screen, at an angle in a bright room and at a lower resolution: those things simply weren't there. Because it was a gameplay demo, limited to specific stuff only; the original trailer was literally built to create hype and excitement, not to show the gameplay.

Almost as if there will be different areas with different amounts of density.

Come on guys, are we really doing this? -_-

jonno394

Looking good Nintendo. My purchase of this was never in douby though but this is just gnna make the wait slightly more unbearable!

I didn't think an open world was going to lend to Zelda and Nintendo's strong suits here.
Nintendo has typically been about tight and controlled gameplay. A more limited design is much easier to test and polish.

I could almost see the game being a bit rough around the edges just because of this.

People are probably getting way too hyped but honestly, Nintendo should take more leaps into new territory with their games. The more they expand their game design the better. They won't hit it out of the park 100% of the time and that's okay. I wonder if they will get a lot of help from Monolith with the world graphics after they finish up the bulk of Xenoblade Cross.

Mory Dunz

sörine;141954757 said:
Watching the zoomed footage I could differentiate 5 different types of trees with clear variants within each type in terms of structure and foliage. I also counted zero grids of any sort.

Eh, I know it will be good, but you have to admit, it didn't look that great here.

But it's not November 2015 right now so I'm good.

Kinsei

Banned
Noticed a creature (deer? horse?) in the top left corner at this point:

Fy58uip.png

Huh, both of the ones that we've noticed all seem to be off to the side in specific areas watching Link. I wonder if that's some sort of mechanic (maybe there's a sidequest involving them) or if it's just a coincidence.

georly

If your math is correct, and comparing it to this famous pic

Then we're looking at a world similar in scale to a quarter of the Just Cause 2 map, which is reasonable, considering our main method of transport is a horse, and not a car or plane.

So uh, just want to say again that there is a rumor from September that not only called the slow down arrow thing, but also has a plausible explanation for the poor look of certain areas, the cloak, the green bar below the hearts, and Link being right handed.

I'm so excited to go exploring in that world! Give me my sandbox and let me play!

Also, I'm laughing at everyone complaining that Zelda is going open-world to appeal to the West, and jumping on a bandwagon. If you're actually complaining about that, then you clearly don't know the first thing about Zelda. Hint: first.

Nanashrew

Banned
kinda funny thing about big open worlds... they have empty segments where you just go through from a to b. skyrim had those. red dead had those. granted red dead had random events. maybe this game will too have random events.

open world games not set in big cities are usually empty. Especially the parts going from one town/village to the next. we have yet to see any thing.

People are making it seem that going ~10% of the map = 100%. we have not really seen anything. They skipped through a lot of shit.

I believe Aonuma talked about "unexpected elements" before when discussing Zelda U and the types of enemies you might see. There will most likely be some random monsters that could come out to get you while you're just looking over the landscape much like we saw in the reveal trailer last E3. Some barren areas could also very well be territorial spots for larger enemies or natural wild life.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
that looks fucking brilliant

I've been wanting a Zelda like this ever since OOT came out and felt so artificial and linear. Fuuuuck I hope this game is good.

georly

So uh, just want to say again that there is a rumor from September that not only called the slow down arrow thing, but also has a plausible explanation for the poor look of certain areas, the cloak, the green bar below the hearts, and Link being right handed.

Please tell me it wasn't a zeldainformer rumor

This was a nice surprise to come home to. I can't wait to explore the world they built and peek into little crevases.

And did you guys see the wild horses? That looked so neat! I don't need a world packed full of action at every second, the scenic vistas and downtime make the action that much more impactful. I just hope the action is up to par and the puzzles are clever and there is new stuff to see.

Malus

Now where are all those people who are hyped for No Man's Sky? :p

Have watched it a few more times and while there's some rough patches some people are over using hyperbole. It's also entirely possible that they cut out some interesting landmarks and/or encounters in between the footage shown to keep the surprise. I suppose.

Well I think you're underselling how bad it looked haha. Like I said the game will likely be great but this was a poor showing. A lot of people seemed forced to come up with a variety of excuses for it too and that just goes to show how badly this was presented.

Running around and exploring is fine, hey I loved Xenoblade. Hope they can make the overworld nearly as interesting or as good looking as XC.

When people complain about empty overworlds, I generally get the impression that they have not spent much time outdoors.

As long as the game encourages and rewards exploration, the size of the overworld can only be an asset.
That's it - there needs to be a reason to explore, but for me I love being able to discover new locales for the sake of their unique characteristics and landmarks.

Man just thinking that this and XCX will release in the same year. Now that you mention it, Xenoblade will fill that void for people who want to run into and fight different (naked) monsters everywhere.

Basically it's like:

Zelda
234_1Tenpeak_Range.jpg

Xenoblade X
jurassic-park-4.png

When people complain about empty overworlds, I generally get the impression that they have not spent much time outdoors.

As long as the game encourages and rewards exploration, the size of the overworld can only be an asset.

I don't really agree with the critics of the demo, but there's something to be said for unrealistic video game worlds being generally a lot more fun than realistic game worlds based on the real outdoors. And usually, Nintendo is one of the best known devs for making something unrealistic fun. I think people may be worried they're going away from that, but that's overblown based only on what we've seen tonight.

If you expect it to stick to 2015, yes, but I can't even remember the last time a console Zelda game actually released the same year it was promised. Definitely not Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess. If Wind Waker was the last time it actually released on time, it was only because they cut a third of the game, and that was over a decade ago. History says they have plenty of dev time left despite the supposed release year.

Astral Dog

lol,at they dont show anything so it must be in trouble.
relax its just a teaser, about the graphics, well its still a Wii U game, it looks ambitious and well made for the console, with decent art direction.

Axass

Almost as if there will be different areas with different amounts of density.

Come on guys, are we really doing this? -_-

1 - Why can't people judge what they see? There's no point having a thread about the trailer if every comment has to be "I'M HYPED" "SO GOOD". I'm offering reasons for every argument I make, I'm not trolling or anything.

2 - Critics aren't to be taken as personal injuries, some of you are overly defensive about basic observations said with no harm intended, which are based on the shown stuff and aren't meant to be final and definitive.

3 - The dismissal of every and any negative reaction is worrysome and creates a bad atmosphere, where you end up thinking you can't freely voice your opinion for fear of being ridiculed.

Please tell me it wasn't a zeldainformer rumor

It's unfortunately a rumor that was sent into Zelda informer by a anonymous person. ZI claimed that it was faked due to the picture of an id that the person provided being really similar to another picture and likely photoshoped, but some of the coincidences are pretty intriguing, but then there's the rest of it which reads like a bad fan-fic. I wouldn't put too much thought into it, but it's interesting to notice the similarities. Here.
^ Like I said, I wouldn't put too much credence into it, considering it's both ZI and it's very likely fake, but still kinda cool to think about.

quetz67

Banned

Doesn't sound huge to me

About the same as Witcher 3 just that this map looks like it is mostly empty landscapes, while Witcher's...

That's roughly double the size of Skyrim's map, coupled with Nintendo's superior art direction.

Christ almighty.

cireza

Banned
Glad to see them trying to shake the formula a bit. What we have seen has potential, I hope that they will fully exploit it.

Mortemis

Banned
I'm already excited to try this out, been excited since forever and this didn't really make me more or less excited at all.

Still really really nice to see something, thought we'd get nothing 'till a direct or even e3. I'm loving how it looks and the size of it, I just really hope they give us some good reasons to really explore other than sight-seeing.

Well I think you're underselling how bad it looked haha. Like I said the game will likely be great but this was a poor showing. A lot of people seemed forced to come up with a variety of excuses for it too and that just goes to show how badly this was presented.

Yes, thank you for your opinion. I was more referring to the people who said the animation looked shit or the trees all looked exactly the same. I don't think 'this is still a year away from release' is an excuse, either, since it's impossible to tell what - if anything - is 100% final in this build. Certainly, the footage is open for judgement and comment since they felt comfortable enough to show it.

Like with the Xenoblade X battle footage from a direct earlier this year, I just think people aren't used to seeing actual regular gameplay being shown off by devs and not just a cut of the 'coolest bits' or CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom