• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legendary MicroProse has been revived, announces their first new game, Warbirds 2020 on Unreal Engine 4

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
All this and they still went belly up or whatever happen to them...

what_we_do_big.jpg

Microprose (and their sub-labels Firebird and Rainbird) were right up my gaming street - so many amazing games.

What franchises does MicroProse have now? It seems like most of the IP's they published were sold (?) or are now with other publishers. Like X-Com, Civilization, Worms and Mech Warrior.

Maybe they could make a new Falcon?

Last edited:

frogx

What franchises does MicroProse have now? It seems like most of the IP's they published were sold (?) or are now with other publishers. Like X-Com, Civilization, Worms and Mech Warrior.

Maybe they could make a new Falcon?

They could always make a new IP if they don't have some of the old ones.

GreyHorace

The one game in Microprose's catalog that really stands out to me is Darklands. I've never played it, but given it's huge cult following and status as a forgotten gem, I would be definitely hyped if this new Microrprose came out with a new version. With updated graphics and less bugs of course.

frogx

MicroProse put bundles of their old games for cheap on sale on Steam, the games are:

BloodNet
Darklands
Dragonsphere
Sword of the Samurai
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic gender bender
Hyperspeed
Starlord
F-117
Fleet Defender
Gunship!
B17 flying fortress 2
Knights of the Sky
1942: PAW
F-19 stealth fighter
World war 2 GI
X-com
Colonization
Silent Service
Challenge of the five realms
Task Force 1942
Silent Service 2
Xcom INterceptor
Xcom Enforcer

Search for MicroProse on steam

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

UE4 is the best middleware engine atm, no other comes close.

Plus it was used in Ace Combat 7 where it was clearly very good at doing detailed terrain, clouds, aircraft and the contrails they produce (along with other effects).

nowhat

This 1000 times. Best arcade soccer ever, I spent hundreds of hours with my commodore 64. Let's go Oman!
How did I miss this thread before - but 1000 times this more. MicroProse Soccer was so much fun on C64.

As a matter of fact, those ridiculous banana kicks that you did by shooting and then twisting the joystick 180 degrees (if I recall right, it has been some years) would be even better now with analogue sticks. On C64 they always ended up curving the same way, but with more precise control there could be even more sillier banana kicks.

Bodie

Neo Member
Gosh, what a blast from the past. Microprose was such a big part of my youth during the 1980s and 1990s on the C64 and the Amiga.

Some of the best memories were with Airborne Ranger, Pirates!, Covert Action, Red Storm Rising, Grand Prix, and Project: Stealth Fighter.

My older brother and I would often fly missions in "real time" in Stealth Fighter on the C64, taking shifts between the waypoints. And the maps and manuals... my god, such quality productions. Good times :). I still have most of these boxed!

Look forward to their releases.

Traianvs

As a matter of fact, those ridiculous banana kicks that you did by shooting and then twisting the joystick 180 degrees (if I recall right, it has been some years) would be even better now with analogue sticks. On C64 they always ended up curving the same way, but with more precise control there could be even more sillier banana kicks.

You have to press the button while moving the joystick in a diagonal direction from where you are running. So, if you are running north, you press and move the joy NW or NE.
I played again this morning XD

nowhat

You have to press the button while moving the joystick in a diagonal direction from where you are running. So, if you are running north, you press and move the joy NW or NE.
I played again this morning XD
Hmm, but couldn't you do even a more curvy shot by going for example N->NW->W? Oh well, it's been ages since I played it; the point still stands though, analog control could offer even more silliness.

DiscoJer

MicroProse was primarily a publisher on the X-COM series, as the main developer was Mythos Games.

That's actually not true, Microprose's UK studio played a huge role in development. The original concept they pitched was basically just a sequel to their Laser Squad (which was just tactical combat with space marines). The whole UFO idea was by Pete Moreland (head of the UK studio).

Not saying the Gollops weren't greatly involved, but it was definitely a Micropose effort

Last edited:

frogx

This is a history of Sid Meier’s Civilization but wrapped up in it is the history of Microprose including some good info about “Wild” Bill and their early flight sims.

woa this was awesome, thanks, and just in time for MicroProse revival, this time without Sid Meier though.

That's actually not true, Microprose's UK studio played a huge role in development. The original concept they pitched was basically just a sequel to their Laser Squad (which was just tactical combat with space marines). The whole UFO idea was by Pete Moreland (head of the UK studio).

Not saying the Gollops weren't greatly involved, but it was definitely a Micropose effort

Assuming that's the case, then Pete Moreland should have received some credit for the concept and development, but the Gollop brothers have all the glory.

Bullet Club

MicroProse is back!

bh9vhZ2.png

"MicroProse is officially back in action. Truthful to the spirit of the company we let our games speak for us to tell a story of quality and passion. "

Today our first three games have been announced:

Task Force Admiral, a single-player experience centered on the command of an early Pacific War US Navy carrier task force that puts you in the nerve-wrecking role of the admiral in charge .

Second Front, an accessible WWII turn-based tactical game sporting all the depth of a paper wargame and the ease of a computer simulation.

Sea Power, a deep modern naval combat warfare simulation that pits Nato and Warsaw Pact against each other in a tense, hide and seek-based, confrontation. From the lead designer of Cold Waters.

But these are only the beginning of our comeback. Other announcements will follow, giving shape to our vision for the future of the strategy and simulation genres.

Stay with us, MicroProse is back, and we mean business.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
MicroProse is back!

bh9vhZ2.png

"MicroProse is officially back in action. Truthful to the spirit of the company we let our games speak for us to tell a story of quality and passion. "

Today our first three games have been announced:

Task Force Admiral, a single-player experience centered on the command of an early Pacific War US Navy carrier task force that puts you in the nerve-wrecking role of the admiral in charge .

Second Front, an accessible WWII turn-based tactical game sporting all the depth of a paper wargame and the ease of a computer simulation.

Sea Power, a deep modern naval combat warfare simulation that pits Nato and Warsaw Pact against each other in a tense, hide and seek-based, confrontation. From the lead designer of Cold Waters.

But these are only the beginning of our comeback. Other announcements will follow, giving shape to our vision for the future of the strategy and simulation genres.

Stay with us, MicroProse is back, and we mean business.

Cool news! These three look like classic Microprose stuff.

Havoc2049

More retro game releases by Microprose. To dig up even more skeletons from the video game bone yard, the new Atari is the publisher of this group of Microprose developed games.

Some of these games are really old school, dating back to the 8-bit Apple II, C64, Atari 400/800/XL and PC days. Unfortunately, some of them are ports of the PC version with fugly CGA graphics.

The Command Series Trilogy, all developed by Sid Meire.
Conflict in Vietnam
Crusade in Europe
Decision in the Desert

Sid Meire's Solo Flight (8-bit civilian flight simulator)

Newer games in this bundle from the early 90's that came out on the PC, Amiga and ST.
Harrier Jump Jet
Dogfight: 80 Years of Airial Warfare
The Ancient Art of War in the Skies

Last edited:

CamHostage

So... what the heck ever happened to this?

Warbirds 2020 (er, 2021 is what they tend to call it) came out, though it was published by iEntertainment Network (the "Microprose" of it all was I believe something of a branding thing anyway, iEntertainment was always been the producing studio making this through a co-publishing deal.)

I think a lot of the stuff on the list came out or is still on its way? (Task Force Admiral is out, Second Force is out, Sea Power by Triassic has been quiet but was recently previewed in German GameStar, you can play Tiny Football if you like arcadey soccer.) This whole Microprose revival quietly happened. Not being a hardcore sim fan myself, I'm not sure how it went, but it happened and is still happening.

Maybe their next game Forgotten But Unbroken will be the hit that gets notice? They also have a pixelated noirish adventure game called Let Bions be Bygons that is coming out this month.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I played quite a few of their games on the Amiga back in the early 90's, the F17 stealth bomber game i remember and a couple of Helicopter ones, i use to sit there for ages travelling to the target area and then missing half the time.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I’d absolutely adore a remake of Falcon 4.

Falcon 5 was announced but I don't expect anything resembling a study sim with the team they have now honestly. It'll likely be a stopgap between Ace Combat and DCS. A warthunder clone. Which can have its place mind you, nothing wrong with that, but likely never to Falcon 4.0 caliber. Just the fact they announced the F-35 included means it's not gonna be anywhere near full fidelity.

Falcon BMS team though has the source code of Falcon 4.0 and has made this game AMAZING throughout the years.

Which is a huge step-up in graphics, a remake almost. VR support and the fidelity is cranked to the max with the years of features.

They even introduced a full fidelity F-15C

Doesn't look as nice as DCS, but the dynamic campaign from 25 years ago is still a master class of flight sim campaigns. DCS is not even close to it in that aspect.

For 4.38 they are teasing a huge improvement on the engine, new terrain engine and physical based rendering.

QZxHib3.jpeg

4zKGLu4.png

TKtndbK.jpeg

PtYRR4Z.jpeg

These modders are insane

Top Bottom