• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legit PC players can’t play Final Fantasy 7 Remake after Epic Games Store goes down

kingfey

Banned
by just downloading a pirated version with the patch on it, most of the time there are just updates for the pirated version with the patches/new version, back in the day there were nocd patches for games that lot of people installed so the game wont ask you to put the cd in the drive each time you wanted to play

if a dev or a publisher acts shitty, lot of pc players have no problem pirating their game, I think that buying the game and getting a pirated version is rewarding them for a shitty behavior, and lets not forget that usually the people that actually developed the game wont receive more money than their salary and the shitty practices are done by the publisher or the owner of the studio that have no problem firing people after a project even when its a success or make them work extra hours with no extra payment even if the game give billions back

a lot better than os patches that install themselves, go wrong and have to rollback or find a fix to the new troubles they introduced

lot of errors are introduced in newer patches, drivers and dynamic libraries that can be updated by other aplications or even other games, there are also lot of cases of games/programs that corrupt their own files and wont start anymore and require a re-install or very specific fixes, we are not in the DOS era my friend, its actually more common than you think as there is a lot of dependencies in games its not that uncommon to go and download a dll file to put that in the install directory, you are not dumb for not knowing that but surely indicates you lack experience
Finally a pc gamer, who knows PC.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh no don't worry, we understand you very well except that your argument here and on other threads (saying it's ok to only have 2 graphics settings for example) is just pure bullshit.

I can agree that there are some titles that are not optimized the way they should, but I think you are forgetting where PC games are coming from.
Remember the days of the Xbox360/PS3 where PC got delayed releases on almost every game, with ports that would make Halo Infinite look like the most optimized PC game ever? I do, and it is 10 times better today.

And now you also seem to be annoyed at the fact we get OPTIONS on PC, wtf man...
PC gaming has always been about tweaking, it is part of the deal. You get the best visuals and framerate but sometimes, a few games will just be bland and lazy port and ask you to look for a workaround.

In the case of FF7, blame Square, not the PC gaming as a whole. I can give you a few examples of recent games with solid PC version if you are still unsure.

I am not angry at too many options. I am angry at too many pointless lazy options.
I am not trolling. But at this point why not

Nickolaidas

Banned
Just my opinion, but if this annoys him, I'd recommend a console.

For people like me, who enjoy tinkering and spending hours trying deconstruct an issue, it's very satisfying to have full control of your gaming experience, both good and bad, so it's not just the opportunity to play a game to its full graphical fidelity. I mean, I understand why people buy iPhones, too, but I want to root my phone and tinker with it. And if it wasn't for compatibility issues, I also would've switched to Linux a long time ago. Again, you have to enjoy the whole "package".
The majority of games he's interested in do not exist on consoles. Plus, you seem to be confusing tinkering with a machine in order to maximize its capabilities with simply making it fucking work. He has no issues searching for the best components to make his PC ultra powerful, or putting those components together to build a fully functional PC. He's simply frustrated by the fact that some games have compatibility problems with either a graphics card, a monitor, an application, etc. Some games that ran just fine on his previous PC now do not run on the newer one he built. And he's frustrated by the fact he has to start googling for a person who had the same issue and managed to solve it by downloading a driver, making a special kind of exe/dll file or whatever.

And frankly, people acting like any PC gamer should simply drool at the prospect of a game of theirs stop running and needs googling for a solution is flat out stupid.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Don't let them get to you. My 45-year-old brother has been pc gaming for 25 years, just recently bought a 3080 rtx and is still pissed off with dozens of his games being unable to do a proper UI-scaling in order for HUDs to look big enough in a 4K resolution. He knows a lot about PCs, basically came by to my house and help me pick up parts in order for me to buy hydro-cooling for my 2080 ti (which cost me about 500 euros).

He loves PC gaming, but is annoyed by the fact that he has to do fucking research whenever a game doesn't run or has weird issues.

I recently went PC-only because I frankly think that if you want to play a game at its best, you go for the PC version. Plus, the majority of games simply look and play better as your PC grows stronger, while the same cannot be said about consoles. Want to play Shadow Warrior 2 for the PS5 at max settings? Tough shit, it's 1080p/30 fps and go fuck yourself if you don't like it.
Thank you! Like you said. It’s just annoying and it should be better. Nothing that can’t be dealt with easily but you might not always want to do research

Nickolaidas

Banned
Thank you! Like you said. It’s just annoying and it should be better. Nothing that can’t be dealt with easily but you might not always want to do research
Yup. I get that PC needs research every now and then and sometimes you buy a game from Steam only to spend 10 minutes to 2 days in order to finally get it to run because of some compatibility issue, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

In the end it's like this:

Pros: You play games which look and play (much) better than their console counterparts
Cons: You might have to spend some time in order for them to do so.

You take the good with the bad. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be annoyed with the bad.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yup. I get that PC needs research every now and then and sometimes you buy a game from Steam only to spend 10 minutes to 2 days in order to finally get it to run because of some compatibility issue, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

In the end it's like this:

Pros: You play games which look and play (much) better than their console counterparts
Cons: You might have to spend some time in order for them to do so.

You take the good with the bad. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be annoyed with the bad.
omg I almost wanted to ban myself from frustration. Finally someone who understand me. cheers !
Sorry KyoZz KyoZz you will have to survive my trolling a little bit longer

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I am not angry at too many options. I am angry at too many pointless lazy options.
I am not trolling. But at this point why not

So that's all you get from my post?

Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

Nah, I remember clearly what you said, and it was "aside from texture and shadow, who needs other options"

Sure, but let's not act like that's a good thing.
Nobody is acting like that, you are seeing what you wanna see as I answered this already so here is a repost:

I can agree that there are some titles that are not optimized the way they should, but I think you are forgetting where PC games are coming from.
Remember the days of the Xbox360/PS3 where PC got delayed releases on almost every game, with ports that would make Halo Infinite look like the most optimized PC game ever? I do, and it is 10 times better today.
PC gaming has always been about tweaking, it is part of the deal. You get the best visuals and framerate but sometimes, a few games will just be bland and lazy port and ask you to look for a workaround.
omg I almost wanted to ban myself from frustration. Finally someone who understand me. cheers !
Sorry KyoZz KyoZz you will have to survive my trolling a little bit longer
Learn to read maybe? This is what I typed:

"Oh no don't worry, we understand you very well"

and

"I can agree that there are some titles that are not optimized the way they should, but I think you are forgetting where PC games is coming from.
Remember the days of the Xbox360/PS3 where PC got delayed releases on almost every game, with ports that would make Halo Infinite look like the most optimized PC game ever? I do, and it is 10 times better today."

Yes, the situation is NOT perfect, but it is a compromise that I am willing to make. If you are tired of this, again, go play on consoles.
But congratulations buddy, once again you derail a thread...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So that's all you get from my post?

Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN

Nah, I remember clearly what you said, and it was "aside from texture and shadow, who needs other options"

Nobody is acting like that, you are seeing what you wanna see as I answered this already so here is a repost:

Learn to read maybe? This is what I typed:

"Oh no don't worry, we understand you very well"

and

"I can agree that there are some titles that are not optimized the way they should, but I think you are forgetting where PC games is coming from.
Remember the days of the Xbox360/PS3 where PC got delayed releases on almost every game, with ports that would make Halo Infinite look like the most optimized PC game ever? I do, and it is 10 times better today."

Yes, the situation is NOT perfect, but it is a compromise that I am willing to make. If you are tired of this, again, go play on consoles.
But congratulations buddy, once again you derail a thread...
ok. let's end on a good note. I thought you were trolling and mocking me. But nevermind.

I know it's usually not a "pure pc" issue. It's just the games being crap ports. Some examples of not perfect games I've played this year on pc. As as starting point let me add - drivers up to date, gsync, rtss 120 fps limit, af x16 and vsync (vrr mode) always forced in nvcp.
-RE Village - stutter and memory leak. After 2-4 hours, the gamefps crawled down. Suddenly if you restarted the game, you get twice the same fps. I played steam on release.
-It takes two - perfect, no issues
-Metro exodus rtx - broken gamma slider, broken hdr. Apparently fine on ps5
-Lego builder's Journey RTX - steam version... it somehow failed to launch until it then suddenly did in few restarts and tries. Super weird.
-12 Minutes - just few crashes to desktop. Again - game fault
-Saints Row the Third Remastered - some stutter, game not remembering settings
-Guardians of the Galaxy - perfect
-Halo Infinite - trash

I probably played some more but I don't remember. So sure - you can't say everything is bad and everything is hardware or windows fault. But that way or another, I wonder if I would have better experience on ps5. Especially with Re8.
Demon Souls, Ratchet, fe7 remake native ps5 - all no issues or crashes. This is what I expect
Returnal - some fps drops but also no crashes.

I think the pc game of the year should go to Guardians. That shit just ran great, looked amazing and had no issues

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
But that way or another, I wonder if I would have better experience on ps5.
It would be a mixed bag or worst on console (for me, because I can't play on 1080p or at 30 FPS now, so it's by default a bad experience) not to mention that crashes exist on consoles too.
You would get lower frames & resolution with a less detailed game. The exception goes to exclusive games you listed for example, that are fine on day one most of the time.

As I said, just look at how it was 10/15 years earlier and how it is now. PC gaming is better now than ever. Is it perfect? No that's for sure. But it's still the best platform to play on, and it already was in 2010 when PC gaming was a lot worse.
I think the pc game of the year should go to Guardians. That shit just ran great, looked amazing and had no issues
This is something we can both fully agree on!

You think so? Lemme check.

Yeah, you're right. It's definitely me.
Yeah I admit I haven't really looked at the other answers. But my other points are still valid so please don't ignore the rest.

Thats a problem too. Retro gaming won't exist in the future...
What???
I have pretty much any game you can think of accessible to play within minutes. All of them digital. Good luck trying to play anything like arcade games or old school Atari era stuff without digital :messenger_tears_of_joy:

All hardware and physical media will die one day, sooner or later. The only way to make sure no game will ever disappear is due to them being digital and emulated.

If you're honestly thinking of game conservation, you couldn't be any more wrong in complaining against digital.

Lanrutcon

Man.

The pc release is something special. Ah well. Nobody really wins here, I guess? If we don't buy this crap we don't see the game finished, but if we buy this crap the next parts will be just as shit cause they got paid.

Someone buy me a PS5.

MikeM

Well I want to replay god of war but I will just play it on ps5 instead of waiting for pc version... I don't know how but there will probably be some headache as usual.
DF: "yes, but you can turn down this and this and this and this for an additional 27% boost with no visual disadvantages to be able to hit 60fps"... like cmon. Why with pc gaming I have to do all the research work. Just make the options substantial and self explanatory.
I never understood why there isn’t a “console” setting for PC. Would be fantastic.

Brofist

It's the complete opposite. The more you know, the worse it is...
It's not about having to "set the settings, drivers etc". You do this automatically... it's about having to do it. PC gamers never evolved. We still accept all this crap.
Ignorance is bliss. If you don't see any cons in pc gaming? Then I would say you have limited knowledge.

But obviously, I must be an idiot because I am not sucking PC cock for whatever reason.
I can own something, be a fan of it and still have hate/love relationship with it.

But obviously. I keep all this stuff because I hate it and I don't know anything about it....
and that 3080 fe ? I hunted for it for week on release because I am an idiot. Of course. I don't even know what it does !!!!

I see this attack used VERY OFTEN. "you lack knowledge, you are stupid, you dont know enough"...
what fucking criteria does one have to meet to be labeled "pc gamer" ?! And I think I know. It is blind loyality to pcmr and their bs.
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say just owning a fast PC doesn't mean you are an expert on anything. I know plenty of people who own things they know little about.

You strike me as a console gamer at heart, but with enough money that you still need to have the latest and greatest of everything. I think you'd be better off sticking to the consoles though,
they seem more your speed, especially since you prefer less options.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say just owning a fast PC doesn't mean you are an expert on anything. I know plenty of people who own things they know little about.

You strike me as a console gamer at heart, but with enough money that you still need to have the latest and greatest of everything. I think you'd be better off sticking to the consoles though,
they seem more your speed, especially since you prefer less options.
I always had a pc. Bootleg nes was first but only next console in 2007 with 360.
Pc is my original passion. I can do anything with it with closed eyes. I think it’s because my pc usage was always unsupervised. Lol I still remember cd keys for windows 98 and xp because I installed it so much. I am (maybe was since this ocd hurt my enjoyment) nuts when it comes to testing settings and performance. I was early 8800gtx adopter and rtx. I wish I got my first voodoo though :(
I played quake2 on release so it’s path tracing mod almost made me cry lol.
I mean my first game on my first pc was duke nukem3d. Lol my parents didn’t give a shit.
And I always built my own pc and did everything on it myself.
I do have some shitty Cisco certificates, sql, Java and c# but I can’t code for shit. I never liked it.
Df if you are hiring, you can wake up my testing ocd ! :p

I did got proposition to to be an IT security guy and declined. Tbh they paid as much as I get now as engineer and I prefer this variety and machine hardware. I think IT work would kill my pc passion entirely.

Anyway…. That’s just to say that pc was my original passion. Now the consoles are a bit more of a comfort zone when I get older and pc seems like a console with extra steps sometimes.
I am really impressed how good consoles are since 360.
I don’t have a problem just owning both devices. Just need to wait for Df video to decide which version to get.
Hell even hdr works on pc recently as it should

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Men this thread turned fast into a bunch of people larping that PC gaming is inferior towards console gaming even while its factual better real quick.

Guess the emotions running high with all those console games moving to PC.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I always had a pc. Bootleg nes was first but only next console in 2007 with 360.
Pc is my original passion. I can do anything with it with closed eyes. I think it’s because my pc usage was always unsupervised. Lol I still remember cd keys for windows 98 and xp because I installed it so much. I am (maybe was since this ocd hurt my enjoyment) nuts when it comes to testing settings and performance. I was early 8800gtx adopter and rtx. I wish I got my first voodoo though :(
I played quake2 on release so it’s path tracing mod almost made me cry lol.
I mean my first game on my first pc was duke nukem3d. Lol my parents didn’t give a shit.
And I always built my own pc and did everything on it myself.
I do have some shitty Cisco certificates, sql, Java and c# but I can’t code for shit. I never liked it.
Df if you are hiring, you can wake up my testing ocd ! :p

I did got proposition to to be an IT security guy and declined. Tbh they paid as much as I get now as engineer and I prefer this variety and machine hardware. I think IT work would kill my pc passion entirely.

Anyway…. That’s just to say that pc was my original passion. Now the consoles are a bit more of a comfort zone when I get older and pc seems like a console with extra steps sometimes.
I am really impressed how good consoles are since 360.
I don’t have a problem just owning both devices. Just need to wait for Df video to decide which version to get.
Hell even hdr works on pc recently as it should
It has to do, with who you spend time with.
I have all 4 systems (pc,switch,ps4,x1s), and I spend more time playing x1s(fifa). Still, my time is being spent on my pc (youtube, this forum, university classes). So I am more comfortable with pc, than with my x1s, despite playing it at alot.

The more you spend your time with consoles, the less reason you have playing on pc. Its psychological behavior. Your mind adapted with consoles. So it has hard time getting in to pc.

Notabueno

Banned
Good.

Serves him right. You should never be prevented by a service to access and use the game you own (per the law actually, the licence of unlimited access and use is exactly what you're buying, not an object/file nor it's IP content).

Some of you should spend less times in PC vs Consoles thread, being critical about the current state of AAA releases on PC does not automatically mean it's a drive by post against your favorite platform.

Like PC and Steam can't ever be wrong or bad. Seriously...

I've been PC only for almost a decade and broken games, the current GPU market and Steam complete lack of interest in updating Big Picture Mode is driving me nuts these days.

Here's a great time I had recently:
Starts Metro 2033 Redux and the game would not allow me to change the resolution above 1080p.
Checked online, some people have the issue and some not.
Why?
images

Spent 90 minutes to find a solution by myself and came up with this:

FUN TIMES!

Yes it felt good to find a solution on my own but at that point I just didn't have it in me to actually play the game.
PC is great, you can fix shit on your own, you can Brut force your way to higher res and higher frame-rate, game prices, mods, freeporn etc... It's fantastic.

But devs releasing broken mess or half assed games on PC should not be ignored because HURRRR PC IS BEST PLATFORM YOU DONT KNOW SHIT ABOUT COMPUTER.

just my 3 pieces with a soda...
Jorge Masvidal Sport GIF by UFC

Edit : Merry Christmas to all my fellow degenerates. <3
When problem with PC Game ALWAYS start here:

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If the majority of your posts on this website can be boiled down to “i prefer consoles to pc” why are you not just playing on console instead of reiterating it in every thread? Seems like a strange way to pass the time

Last edited:

Green_Eyes

PC mustard race

Why do you purposely antagonize people?

PC players constantly antagonize people and repeat the same obnoxious phrases like:

"Why would I buy a console when I could build a superior gaming PC for the same prices or less :geek: "
"I'm just gonna wait for the superior PC port :geek: "
"Console gaming is irrelevant, all your games end up ported to PC anyway :geek: "
"Consoles hold back PC gaming :geek: "
"Meh, it doesn't even look that impressive. PC games are much further ahead :geek: "

*pig snort* :geek:

Last edited:

Brofist

PC mustard race

PC players constantly antagonize people and repeat the same obnoxious phrases like:

"Why would I buy a console when I could build a superior gaming PC for the same prices or less :geek: "
"I'm just gonna wait for the superior PC port :geek: "
"Console gaming is irrelevant, all your games end up ported to PC anyway :geek: "
"Consoles hold back PC gaming :geek: "
"Meh, it doesn't even look that impressive. PC games are much further ahead :geek: "

*pig snort* :geek:
Awww where did the PC touch you big boy

Mister Wolf

Even with the hurdles of FF7 on PC I still would rather play it that way so I can have high resolution and high framerate at the same time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nothing more frustrating than buying a digital product and not being able to use it.

Reminds me of Final Fight on the PS3. You have to be connected to the internet for it to boot up, so ridiculous.

Top Bottom