• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City stories announced for Wii U & 3DS ( Nintendo Conference )

Omiee

looks good

always been a fan of lego games.

It’ll be an open world game, with Lego vehicles and people

legocitystories610.jpg

lego_city_stories.jpg

legocitystories_topstory_18362.nphd.jpg

"More than half of those [60 million units] were sold on Nintendo platforms.."

You'd think TT would make some effort to make Nintendo platforms the best one.. with online co-op.

Striek

Yes Nintendo. It was a great idea to have this be the sole actual game you show off with your new console.

Edit: Spoke too soon - here comes third-party port reel at least.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
jediyoshi said:
They wouldn't do that to Lego Universe

Thinking about it, I can't really think of any family friendly open world games

thats right, i forgot about that game. should be interesting once more info comes out about it. This Wii U could make some interesting content.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jediyoshi said:
They wouldn't do that to Lego Universe

Thinking about it, I can't really think of any family friendly open world games
If you consider Simpsons, there's Hit N Run. Lego Island is technically open world

Ken

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I think the title kind of gives it away.

Oh, I didn't know there was a line of GTA: City Stories games until I entered it into Google just now. My knowledge of GTA starts at IV and ends with IV. My bad.

Boerseun

Banned
I never imagined I'd be this psyched for a LEGO game, but just imagine the potential of interacting with an open LEGO world. This could be seriously awesome, and knowing Nintendo, probably will be.

pakkit

Banned
Sounds cool, but I was hoping for a meatier third party exclusive to coincide with the console announcement.

WHERE ARE YOU BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL?

Is it safe to call this Lego Island 3?

Now that was a series that needed reviving, not movie tie-in LEGO game after another (zzzz)

They really need to make a LEGO game with ALL LEGO blocks. No 3D generic environments. You see that grass? It better be made out of LEGOS. But noooooo!

And you guys think this is going to be Wii U exclusive or go to PS3/360 too?

TxdoHawk

This is going to be great for kids...until griefers turn all their online buildings into giant Lego-penii. Lawsuits!

Busty

Banned
I sort of don't understand what's going on with this title.

Nintendo are publishing this.

But it's being developed by a Warner Bros owned studio based around an IP that WB Games are the 'guardians' of for want of a better word.

Is this a case of a third party publisher/developer realising that the best way to get a hit on a Nintendo system is to get them to publish it?

The ultimate case of 'if you can't beat them join them'?

Orayn

Vaguely GTA-ish open world game with the possibility of custom Lego content? I'm in. I feel I should post some image involving a certain sponge opening his wallet, a red haired man insisting he part with his money, or some combination of the two.

Traveller's Tales is developing this. apparently it's been in development for quite a while -- as far back as 2009.

The game was first mentioned in The Brick 2009, where it was said "LEGO City Stories will have a more loose central story that will encourage the player to explore a wider variety of side stories and challenges." The game is now advertised at the back of LEGO set instructions from 2011 City sets. The advertisement takes up two pages. On the first, it shows a code, from which arrows fan out, pointing at a DS with the game, a computer monitor with the LEGO website, and a computer monitor with the comic builder on the site. The second page advertises the game itself, with an in-game snapshot. The game is scheduled to be released in the third quarter of 2011. It will be created by Traveler's Tales. The Game was officially confirmed to be in production on June 7th, at E3 2011 and will be available for Wii U, and Nintendo 3DS.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/LEGO_City_Stories:_The_Video_Game

Nintendo has cornered the Lego market! Step one complete.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If they do well on this, I'd be keen as heck to see other locales of the Lego empire explored in the same manner. Medieval, Pirates, Space Age, drool.

This probably wasn't the best thing to announce as the first Nintendo published Wii U game, but... it sounds good. Nice to see TT being allowed to break out from the same old Lego game formula.

What is it with cross-platform announcements from Nintendo this E3? First Smash Bros, now this. It only ever really happened with Mario Golf/Tennis before now. *shrugs*

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Green Scar said:
This probably wasn't the best thing to announce as the first Nintendo published Wii U game, but... it sounds good. Nice to see TT being allowed to break out from the same old Lego game formula.

What is it with cross-platform announcements from Nintendo this E3? First Smash Bros, now this. It only ever really happened with Mario Golf/Tennis before now. *shrugs*
I'm sure it's mostly because people have a 3DS so they want them hyped for that versus the WiiU which most people still aren't sure of what it is, how much it will cost, what they want out of it, etc

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
According to Reggie, this is exclusive to Wii U and 3DS. You might not think it, but that's kinda a big deal. Especially if Wii U launches with this.

Edit: Since we have no pics in this thread:

legocitystories610.jpg

lego_city_stories.jpg

Skiesofwonder said:
According to Reggie, this is exclusive to Wii U and 3DS. You might not think it, but that's kinda a big deal. Especially if Wii U launches with this.

Edit: Since we have no pics in this thread:

legocitystories610.jpg

lego_city_stories.jpg

Yeah. It was just surprising because you think that with the first exclusive title Nintendo announced was going to be a big hardcore title. I don't think anyone saw Lego coming. When they showed Lego City Stories, I just thought "ummm, ok."

BUT, later on it sank in that Nintendo will be getting a Traveller's Tale-developed, exclusive Lego title -- the first one ever too. These are the guys behind all the big and successful Lego games -- all the way back to Lego Star Wars: The Video Game. It's cool because it shows Nintendo is indeed putting in effort to secure 3rd party exclusives for their new console -- and this is from a big selling series. add to the fact that this game has been in development for awhile already, this could be the a solid launch title.

With that said, the only Lego game I've played is Lego Batman for Wii and though I played it co-op, I didn't find it particularly great. =/

dyls

I hope Nintendo gives Traveller's Tales some real guidance. I haven't played a Lego game in a while but I remember them being fun in terms of style and humor, but really loose in terms of controls, collision detection, and general feel. Those are things that Nintendo obviously excels at, so if they can really push the devs this could be a really fun game.

Boerseun

Banned
I'm surprised people don't realise the massive potential for this thing. I'm thinking 10 million sales at least if it lives up to that potential.

rpmurphy

Busty said:
I sort of don't understand what's going on with this title.

Nintendo are publishing this.

But it's being developed by a Warner Bros owned studio based around an IP that WB Games are the 'guardians' of for want of a better word.

Is this a case of a third party publisher/developer realising that the best way to get a hit on a Nintendo system is to get them to publish it?

The ultimate case of 'if you can't beat them join them'?
I guess it's one part of Nintendo's western 3rd party strategy that Iwata talked about earlier in the year. It's similar to how Nintendo tried to push 3rd party development on the Wii in Japan.

trinest

I'll buy it because it looks like it could be a lego GTA. It doesn't mean it is- it just means it will be fun I hope.

Interested but I need more info. I wonder what differences they'll have between the Wii U and 3DS versions, if they're neat enough and have connectivity I might double dip.

speedpop said:
If they do well on this, I'd be keen as heck to see other locales of the Lego empire explored in the same manner. Medieval, Pirates, Space Age, drool.
Not sure if you mean more than in Lego Wars, since its levels based on each of those Lego styles. That's another Lego game I'd like to see done again. It was a reasonably fun RTS but the DS held it back too much.

Top Bottom