• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover Switch cover mentions 13GB download [Up3: Full game on card]

shiyrley

Banned
Update 3:
"The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of LEGO City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience. An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/28/wb-comments-on-lego-city-undercover-switch-download

Sounds quite different from what people are discussing on these last few pages. Is this an older statement at this point? Or did it just happen? I dunno when IGN updated it

Update 2:
Another statement

Players who purchase LEGO City: Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play. All players who purchase the game can download the small content update patch with an internet connection.

Update:
UPDATE 2.30pm: Lego City Undercover publisher Warner Bros. has provided us with this short statement on the game's cartridge version, which suggests you will be able to play without downloading anything.

"Players who purchase Lego City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play," a company spokesperson told us.

We're still no clearer why the game's box states it requires an internet connection, or 13GB of storage, but the suggestion here perhaps is that at least some of the game is playable without downloading.

We've contacted Warner Bros. again for further clarification.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...hing-odd-about-lego-city-undercover-on-switch

http://nintendoeverything.com/lego-...to-13gb-of-space-for-game-download-on-switch/

Nintendo Everything said:
LEGO City Undercover's new version is starting to show up at retailers, and it gives us a final look at the box. The big takeaway is that up to 13GB of storage may be needed for ”game download."

qgiH3LM.jpg

We reported yesterday that LEGO City Undercover on Switch is 7.1GB. That may have seemed strange given how the original Wii U version is 19GB. What we've learned today may clarify the situation. The initial download could be about 7.1GB, with another 13GB required for extra data – bringing it about 20GB, which is closer to the Wii U edition.]

w
a
t

Does this mean the publisher is cheaping out on cartridge size and requiring a download for the rest of the game data? This would be fucking terrible. I really hope this doesn't become something normal, a big reason to go physical on Switch is the limited storage space. This sucks.

Cut me in half and digitalise said half if old.

jonno394

Yeah I posted this in the other thread for the game. Potentially it's a way for the publisher to save money on carts, going for as small as possible cart and forcing a mandatory download on customers.

I don't mind if this is a method to keep price parity, but sort of defeats the object of portability if you can't play until you get home and download the data.

udivision

Does this mean the publisher is cheaping out on cartridge size and requiring a download for the rest of the game data? This would be fucking terrible. I really hope this doesn't become something normal, a big reason to go physical on Switch is the limited storage space. This sucks.

Cut me in half and digitalise said half if old.
That's kind of smart... And bad...

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Yuck. Might as well just sell a case with a download code inside at this point because it completely defeats the purpose of physical copies.

I don't get it. Are we saying someone without an internet connection won't be able to play their purchases physical copy? That can't be right.

Edit: Omg just saw the case. Wow.

WOW.

Wait I thought the smallest carts were 16GB for Switch? Are there 8GB carts available? I always thought there should be with how many Mario games on Wii U came in under 5GB.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So is it them cheaping out on cart sizes or is there another reason why they went with this approach?

Fucking blows though, buying physical and still losing over half the on-board storage.

Wtf. Why even bother with a physical version then? That's over half the filesize as a download.

What's the default storage on Switch?

32gb onboard, but taking out the stuff reserved for OS/system settings, it's basically 25gb that's usable to the player. You can use SD cards.

If this is the case, Nintendo needs to nip this in the bid ASAP. It totally skirts the reason why some people but physical copies in the first place. If this practice becomes commonplace, people who planned on going physical and sticking with the stock storage would be screwed.

jonno394

Wtf. Why even bother with a physical version then? That's over half the filesize as a download.

Well i'm going physical for the collection, resell potential etc, but yeah, defeats the object of a cart imo. Would rather be forced to download 20gb and never need the cart.

flohen95

Was thinking about buying this, but not anymore. It's not even about the space (I have a couple of micro SD cards lying around anyway), but about the fact that the game will not be playable once the download isn't available anymore. Super shitty move by WB.

3a1.jpg

I'd be curious to see exactly what the cost/size table looks like for Switch carts. I can't imagine it's more than a few dollars.

I can't imagine the discussion went anything other than "Well, users have 26GB of free space on their Switch by default, why should we pay an extra for them to play our game?"

Edit: Nintendo should find a way to ban this practice and make it a certification requirement. This is basically just one step short of shipping a retail box with nothing but a download code inside.

If this is the case, Nintendo needs to nip this in the bid ASAP. It totally skirts the reason why some people but physical copies in the first place. If this practice becomes commonplace, people who planned on going physical and sticking with the stock storage would be screwed.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this become completely commonplace especially among third parties.

Ha. Heard somebody argue on a podcast recently, probably Player One, that the SD card isn't really mandatory for the Switch unless you are buying from the eShop. So much for that!

Damaniel

Banned
Nintendo needs to get on top of this and tell developers that they'll be limited in the amount of data that needs to be downloaded to use a game that's already on a cart. I'd also add that any time a game wants to allocate large amounts of in-flash storage for cached data (or anything else beyond a small amount for game saves), they should have to get permission from the player, and design the game in such a way that it will run without that space available.

I'm not sure how they'd handle patches, especially the slimiest developers would just skirt the space limitations by adding a day-one 'patch' containing all that additional data anyway.

Well i'm going physical for the collection, resell potential etc, but yeah, defeats the object of a cart imo. Would rather be forced to download 20gb and never need the cart.

Yeah, like, I always buy physical for the sake of collecting, having it on my shelf, and potential resale, but it's just so maddening the idea that I could buy a cart and it literally doesn't even contain half the game. I get it for games that have patches and stuff as long as they're at least playable without them, but stuff like this is just graaaaaaaa.

Effect

Yup. No purchase. That's 100% unacceptable. I'll stick with the Wii U version. I got used to the loading times. Now way in hell am I going to buy a cart based game and have a required download of over 10GB just to fully get the retail copy of the game. That is complete and utter BS!

I will not be surprised if this has a high return rate once people find this out after picking up the game.

jonno394

I'd be curious to see exactly what the cost/size table looks like for Switch carts. I can't imagine it's more than a few dollars.

I can't imagine the discussion went anything other than "Well, users have 26GB of free space on their Switch by default, why should we pay an extra for them to play our game?"

As discussed plenty of times in other thread, the likes of Rime cost $10 more due to the cart prices. A $2-$4 increase in price for publisher means they need to increase price by $8-$10 to compensate for that increased charge.

I imagine we could either have

1) Full Game on a larger capacity cart costs $10 more than other versions, people pissed.
2) Part of game on cart, digital download required for rest, price parity, people pissed.

This game is a complete ripoff anyway (in Canada at least). A barely different version of a Wii U game that sells for $29.99 as a Nintendo Select title, and they want $69.99 on Switch. This game is olllllld, came out shortly after Wii U launch too.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Out of all games a fucking Lego title comes with that type of caveat...lol ...

We will have to download 40gb of Fifa 18 data and 25gb for Skyrim because these publishers will be too cheap to use more expensive cards right ? lol

Plum

In a few months time:

"Our recent port of Lego City: Undercover sold under expectation on the Switch so we will not be bringing Lego Worlds, or any other future Lego titles, to the console"

Third Parties self-sabotaging their games on Nintendo consoles should just be expected at this point.Shame, because I was definitely going to buy this on the Switch.

Top Bottom