• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego City Undercover (Wii U) NA Commercial. Anyone looking forward to this?

WillyFive

Looks like the most ambitious Lego game yet, which could be even better than a conservative Lego game (which is still very good).

Zero148

open world wii u game?

not expecting great performance.

I think there should be a difference between a Nintendo published exclusives and cheap third party ports from consoles with a whole different architecture in terms of performance

Seeing as open world games worked fine on the ps2 and xbox, i really dont know what you're basing this negativity on..

I think on the performance of Batman or Mass Effect

If they have a v-sync option maybe. The Lego games are often screen tearing nightmares and the footage of this has seemed to continue the tradition

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If they have a v-sync option maybe. The Lego games are often screen tearing nightmares and the footage of this has seemed to continue the tradition

E3 footage had massive screen-tearing.

Every piece of footage I've seen since has had none.

Very excited by it. Really like that they finally made an original Lego game and not one based on existing property. Looks to have a good sense of humor and charm to it.

Strange that we don't have a release date yet but I have seen the commercial on TV. That would lead me to believe that it will be out before the end of the year.

Strictly speaking it is based on an existing property - it's basically Lego GTA, hence the original name, Lego City Stories. I guess Rockstar/Take Two hand problems with the name lol.

I preferred Lego City Stories to Lego City Undercover too :eek:(

It'd be nice if we ever got to, you know, build things in a Lego game. A Minecraft style Lego game (with build able vehicles) would be amazing.

Anyway I don't have a WiiU but Ill pick this up for 3DS if it's good.

freddy

Banned
I showed this to my kids and they had zero interest in it. I guess no Harry Potter or Star Wars is a deal breaker.

18-Volt

Is it confirmed there will be Nintendo minifigure character cameos? I remember I saw a Mario pipe once so there has to be more. I really want to see a Captain Falcon minifigure.

Also Chase McCain in SSB4!

I remember ow awefully jaggy the screens looked. Did they ad AA on this game yet?
Is the Wii-U even capable of AA? Cause even mario seems to be without it.

VariantX

I remember ow awefully jaggy the screens looked. Did they ad AA on this game yet?
Is the Wii-U even capable of AA? Cause even mario seems to be without it.

I was just about to say the same thing about how much cleaner the screens look than before. I hope its not because someone cleaned it up in photoshop or something.

smr00

Banned
Im SO looking forward to it.

Thank god its still slated for "holiday 2012" on the freshly (a few days ago) revealed EU release list. NG3 and Scribblenauts are 2013 for EU though, so i really hope i can play this this christmas!
So it's coming next month? God i hope so.. This game looks like it is going to be incredibly fun!

Yeah, ofcourse i know. But it's also missing in a lot of games. I remember ideaman claiming it would be added in every game.
I think it was meant that every first party game will have it.

But even if it's third party you also have to understand these are launch ports..

boyshine

This is the closest thing to a third party killer app for Wii U yet. Not for "us", but for kids (boys) age 9-12 this must hit the bullseye. I'm personally a bit disappointed that LEGO LOTR isn't hitting Wii U, but L.C.U. seems fun and fresh, and I'm curious about both the the Wii U and 3DS version, even though I'm three times the target audience age.

Zero148

This is the closest thing to a third party killer app for Wii U yet. Not for "us", but for kids (boys) age 9-12 this must hit the bullseye. I'm personally a bit disappointed that LEGO LOTR isn't hitting Wii U, but L.C.U. seems fun and fresh, and I'm curious about both the the Wii U and 3DS version, even though I'm three times the target audience age.

why not for us? I'm 24 and this looks much more fun to me than many of these typical AAA blockbuster titles (COD, Halo, AC) that should appeal to me.

Imo this game looks like fun to anyone, except maybe the typical dudebro COD only player

Its been a week and everyone is a pro programmer on Wii U with extensive knowledge and experience. Launch titles the end all measuring online stick!'

Im not big on the lego games but this looks interesting. I hope they add some demos to the Eshop. Would have to try it out first.

Ridley327

Quoting myself since I actually want to hear an answer:

What is the hook of this game, exactly? Outside of the fact that it's not LEGO (insert well-known IP here), I'm not seeing what's making it so different from the other games.

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything; I'm genuinely curious.

Oersted

This is the closest thing to a third party killer app for Wii U yet. Not for "us", but for kids (boys) age 9-12 this must hit the bullseye.

Now I feel young. Thank you xD

Quoting myself since I actually want to hear an answer:

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything; I'm genuinely curious.

Allright, allright^^. Lego games had a good run. Nice gameplay, the jokes, etc.

Coolwhip

Banned
These Wii-U commercials are turribul

Be happy you dont have the european commercials. At least the american commercials try to create some interest in an 'edgy' way with the terrible dubstep esque music. The euro commercials are like infomercials. "You couldn't do this before" So bad.

FoneBone

Is it confirmed there will be Nintendo minifigure character cameos? I remember I saw a Mario pipe once so there has to be more. I really want to see a Captain Falcon minifigure./QUOTE]
I'd agree that the Mario pipe can't be all that's in, but I don't think anything more has been confirmed anywhere. I'd expect more info leading up to the release.

Ridley327

I'm not all that interested but I'm guessing that open world, sandbox style is the hook?

LEGO Batman 2 already does that, though.

Honestly, that's what's really throwing me off here since I remember back when it was LEGO City Stories that the big hook was the open world layout, but then I found out about LEGO Batman 2 doing the same (as well as introducing full VA, just like this game is doing), so I went back to being puzzled as to what this game was doing that was warranting so much hype. I mean, right now, it just seems like one of Nintendo's ways of making a third party feel extra special on the Wii U, in this case Warner Bros. Interactive.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Was excited to pick this up with the Wii U console launch. My Chase McCain minifigure anxiously awaits the release date!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Yeah, ofcourse i know. But it's also missing in a lot of games. I remember ideaman claiming it would be added in every game.

Well, i don't think i ever said every games will have anti-aliasing, i can't obviously speak for every studios in the world lol. But for the projects of my sources, who had jaggies and lacked AA in their E3 2012 demos, it was indeed implemented late in the development cycle.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Really looking forward to this. I'm curious to see if there's any additional influence of it being Nintendo published and maybe produced.

As for the commercial, these US Wii U ads are bad, but frankly nothing is as bad as the Gamecube campaign. The spinning cube was even worse.

Generally, I don't think NoA has any idea how to market themselves to what is perceived as a traditional gaming audience. Wii's marketing was good because it was going after a fresh demographic, and brought a fresh perspective.

Top Bottom