• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2 |OT| - The Lost LEGO World

Status
Not open for further replies.
sjFTB.png

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: to face of in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in this set (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last three weeks from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline.

Start Date: 2012-09-03
End Date: 2012-09-29 2400 CEST​

[edit]
Voting is now open here

[edit2]
Votes are counted and the results can be found here

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1

Current Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2
By popular vote.
Model to be used: 6914-1 - Prehistoric Hunters
3Gsid.jpg

Number of pieces: 191 (+3)
Number of colours: 8

More information:

Where to buy:
united_states_flag.jpg
Buy at Amazon.com (16.97$)
united_states_flag.jpg
Buy at LEGO.com (17.99$)

union-flag.jpg
Buy at Amazon.co.uk (7.19£)
union-flag.jpg
Buy at LEGO.com (12.99£)

germany-flag.gif
Buy at Amazon.de (12.98€)
germany-flag.gif
Buy at LEGO.com (14.99€)

many other places too.

Participants and their entries: (last updated 2012-09-30)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

2MExu.png

012 - SillyEskimo - Angler Fish
026 - Spanish Wrath - The Bat
033 - MisterNoisy - Big Spiny Beetle
076 - Eklipsis - AT-ST Walker
078 - nny - Mozart and his Piano
084 - IAmMikeside - VTOL Plane
092 - FliXFantatier - Farm Diorama
095 - RichardAM - Scorpion
099 - PhonicpleBone - Microscope
106 - Baka Zeitgeist - Alien Queen Head
108 - Jasoneyu - Armed Mech and Pistol
118 - CorporateClown - Thundercats Tank / Adorable Transforming Robot
121 - Tempy - Ship
128 - RayStorm - Friendly Killbots
130 - ruxtpin - Wipeout Track
132 - whatsinaname - Red Baron vs X-Wing Starfighter
133 - Klendathu Club Owner - Two Ancient, Winged Beasts Battling it Out in the Air
135 - :Motorbass - Battle Ship
137 - ChaChaChaChia - Humble Tractor
999 - Steenbock - Dinosaur (entered via PM)

Prize Pool:
If you want to contribute to the Prize pool feel free. Any member can volunteer something for the prize pool if he or she so chooses, no obligation in any way. The final winner gets first dibs on one prize and that then continues down the line depending on the number of prizes.
Each prize is donated by a member in a certain country for free and no personal gain, and he or she will have to pay additional postage, so keep that in mind and perhaps choose a prize, whose generous giver is located in your country in order to minimize the postage cost.

Generous Donors:
united_states_flag.jpg
MisterNoisy - LEGO 7051 Tripod Invader
flag-un-20.jpg
nny - LEGO 8066 Technic Off-Roader
flag-un-20.jpg
FliXFantatier - Lee Child - The Hard Way paperback

MisterNoisy

Count me in for this one as well. I have the kit, but it's mixed in with all my other LEGO, so I'll be buying it again, I'd imagine.

Also, count me in for adding something to the prize pool again this time. :)

Rubberknuckles

Neo Member
Gah. Will have to look around. The target by me only had one set and it was held together with tape. ;)

I'll check around for a prize pool gift as well.

Also, this might be a dumb question, but should the prizes be LEGO related?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but should the prizes be LEGO related?

They are donated gifts so there is no limitation on what people wish to give. The first contest had an Akira dvd, for example.

I'll post this here for anyone that has a Meijers near them. I got the prehistoric set for 9.99$ last week here in Battle Creek, MI. I have no idea if it is still on sale, but it may be worth a shot.

Here is a quick pic I took of the pieces. This kit is a great deal more intimidating than the roadster IMO. My original idea is not possible based on the pieces provided, so I'll have to get inspiration from staring at what is in front of me!

11F7AEB0-BA83-40A8-9317-31112BF8BF92-13274-00001716E2E462DA.jpg

Have had the set for months, and thankfully kept all the spare pieces from it in a cup away from all the other sets. Time to break it out and get building!

DJ_Lae

Should be fun.

But I have a feeling it's going to be tricky finding one - I haven't seen that set in any store in months.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just been to my local Tesco and found it for £6- they had a few of them, delighted.

UK GAF could try them first before ordering from S@H, i'm not sure if it's a nationwide thing.

Let's get this party started!

My original idea is not possible based on the pieces provided

I was wrong. Not only was my initial idea possible (a fish!), but it actually came out even better than it looked in my mind's eye. I'm not going to lie, it took some work, but eventually I was rewarded with the results below.

His jaws, fins, "fishing pole" and tail all articulat and stay in place wherever you want them. Once again, most of the rebuilding I did was for color correction. I was even able to add "gums" to the mouth thanks to the color selection in this set. He is primarily bright red but has dark red on top and sandy coloring on his belly.

13B16B4A-16B6-4508-8CDC-E53B9BE9D1D4-13274-0000171B52A63028.jpg

7BDF95E9-8EA5-46B6-9A19-FCFF0FDDA24F-13274-0000171B92B408D6.jpg

D1DE36F3-537F-46B6-8FFF-977F6A73D3DB-13274-0000171B3627D2E4.jpg

A5D86555-576D-48FF-B128-5782306C894D-13274-0000171B88852CF2.jpg

2E10FF32-010D-4EEC-8EC2-52E9C3C2537F-13274-0000171C8DB20D9E.jpg

My wife and kids loved him, so I am going to go ahead and make him my official entry. Hey, somebody has to be first! And no, animal/aquatic creatures are not my default choice. Both of these sets kind of "spoke" to me on what to build. I can't really explain it, but I went with it!

Great first entry! I have a feeling we will see a lot of teeth so I am glad the first appearance of them was a clever one.

I had an interesting talk with the wife about this. From the first set, I kind of knew there was going to be a lot of space ships and robots. That just made me want to do my crab even more. With this set, I foresee a lot of animals and "teeth". So the question became, do I build something in order to stand out from the pack or do I go with my gut instinct? Am I building to win or am I building for fun? Hopefully the answer is obvious :)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Nice job on the anglerfish :) Ordered the set from amazon.co.uk. Didn't do the first contest even though I had the set (I forgot about it), but I'll try to submit an entry for this contest~

Heads up. Anyone wanting to jump into the new MOC contest (and you should!), the chosen set happens to be a whopping 5% off at Target this week.

nny

Yay, new set to play around with! I'll try to find it in a store today.

...and we're off to a great start already; great job SillyEskimo!

Fou-Lu

Really tempting to join in, haven't done anything with Lego in years and the set is cheap... Decisions, decisions...

Really tempting to join in, haven't done anything with Lego in years and the set is cheap... Decisions, decisions...

What do you have to lose by joining in besides the cost of the set? You get to play with Lego again, and you get to flex your creativity by making your own model. You also get to potentially learn lots of new and cool building techniques by seeing what others come up with. There really is no downside to it at all except for you have to spend less than $20 to buy the set.

Join the party!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Great entries so far! Just finished my first entry too, though not posting yet. Hoping to take photos of each attempt, disassemble and start over before then deciding on what i'm going with near the end of the week/whenever.

It's an okay set, but I miss the grill plates and technic pins from last month. Still got a few ideas all the same though :)

Holy shit at the beetle.

Just disassembled my set (had it for months) and prepping for my first attempt. But damn, is the bar set really high.

That beetle is awesome.

I'll buy the set asap, but I have no idea what to build. It looks more difficult than the roadster.

MisterNoisy

Thanks for the kind words. :) TerryLee, this set was absolutely more difficult than the Blue Roadster set for MOC Contest 1 to me. I stared at and fiddled with the pieces in that bowl for a solid hour before I even started putting anything together.

I also have a prize for the pool: 7051 Tripod Invader. It just got shipped, so I expect it here by Saturday. :)

Thanks for the kind words. :) TerryLee, this set is absolutely more difficult than the Blue Roadster set for MOC Contest 1. I stared at and fiddled with the pieces in that bowl for a solid hour before I even started putting anything together.

I also have a prize for the pool: 7051 Tripod Invader. It just got shipped, so I expect it here by Saturday. :)

Tripod invader makes me want to win even more. :)

Anyways, finished my first model for the contest. Moderately happy with the results, but it is yet another creature like the set makes and have been posted. Must keep refining and making better!

And now I also need to think of a cool set to get for a prize.

Eklipsis

Just finished my first creation, snapped a few pics but unsure if I want to use it as my official entry yet....I have a few ideas in my head so Ill give it a little more time.

mrkgoo

Gotta be honest, I'm a little discouraged that I dint get more votes in the last round. I REALLY liked my model. I feel it's one of the best I've made. Maybe it was interesting enough, however.

I guess I got some votes, so it's not all bad :) thanks!

Anyway, I'd love to go again, but the only copy I can find of that chosen model around here is $80, so it'll have to be a no go this time around.

Gotta be honest, I'm a little discouraged that I dint get more votes in the last round. I REALLY liked my model. I feel it's one of the best I've made. Maybe it was interesting enough, however.

I guess I got some votes, so it's not all bad :) thanks!

Anyway, I'd love to go again, but the only copy I can find of that chosen model around here is $80, so it'll have to be a no go this time around.
$80? What the?

MTE

GAH! Checked all my local Lego retailers - not a sign of the set!
I think I'll have to order it online. I'm kicking myself for having missed out on the last contest - I even own that set!

TerryLee, this set was absolutely more difficult than the Blue Roadster set for MOC Contest 1 to me. I stared at and fiddled with the pieces in that bowl for a solid hour before I even started putting anything together.

Same for me. Like, much more difficult. I started with another idea because I didn't think the fish was possible and it was just awful. I actually got a little frustrated with the piece selection. So I decided to at least try the fish idea. I built the tail first, then the jaws. The jaws were really difficult to do and took a lot of trial and error. The body kind of came together once the "head" portion was complete. I am really proud of the tail and will get pics of that portion up at some point. I have never built anything like it before.

My wife says I should let her take pictures of it because mine are terrible. She pointed out that I didn't even take pics of the underbelly which shows the color difference. So, I'll likely replace the above photos with my wife's soon :)

Eklipsis

^^ see I had the opposite problem since the contest started Ive made 4 and just thought of a 5th now I'm not going to know which to submit. I think the longer I mess with it the more ideas I have. Spent last night..build, snap pics, disassemble, build, snap pics, disassemble, etc.

mrkgoo

In future I'm going to suggest that once a new set is preliminarily decided upon that there be a quick "any objections" thrown up.

It kinda sucks to be excluded because o set unavailability. I would say only those that are genuinely interested would put a serious objection.

In future I'm going to suggest that once a new set is preliminarily decided upon that there be a quick "any objections" thrown up.

It kinda sucks to be excluded because o set unavailability. I would say only those that are genuinely interested would put a serious objection.
I thought this was voted on, and it is a generally available set which is why it was chosen.

Anyways, I was taking pics of my first attempt a bit ago and dropped the model on the kitchen floor. Pieces went EVERYWHERE. I got the model back together, but am missing one 2x2 tan plate and the 1x2 white cheese slope. :( So if anyone sees two 1x1 white cheese slopes in my pics, it is me compensating for the lost piece.

EDIT: FOUND IT! I have no idea how it would up on the dining room table. It must have bounced quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom