• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #7 Voting Thread- robots, robots, ROBOTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
qsm8tsM.jpg

This thread is meant purely for voting on the LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #7. Please keep any and all discussion in that thread in order to keep some order. Including questions to the voting rules, ask them in the other thread please only cast your votes here.

Voting Times
You will be able to cast your vote till
Monday, April 3rd @ 11:59PM EST.
The results will be announced as soon as I get around to evaluating all the votes.

Voting rules
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favorite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Please use the template posted below for casting your votes. I will add points into a spreadsheet at the end of voting and have a tally to announce the winner.
Voting for your own entry is allowed.

Editing your vote is not allowed. Please think before you post, once I have copied your votes into my list they are final. Also it should go without saying, every member only gets to vote once.

Accidentally forgot steenbocks roadmaster, please recast your votes if you already submitted

Template
Code:
[B]Ballot[/B]
Roadmaster- 	0
Car- 		0
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-0
Whale-          0
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	0
Gatling Gun-	0

I have provided thumbnails of the entries. Clicking on the pics will take you to their original posts which contain more pictures.

Thank you so much to everyone who entered. Sorry for the delay for the voting thread. Hopefully we can do another contest soon.

Shamelessly copied the template from FliXFantatier and PhoncipleBone from previous MOC contests

Blizzard

Banned
*edited to include additional votes I forgot to add*
Code:
Ballot

Roadmaster- 	1
Car- 		0
Assembly Line-	1
Mechanical Bird-2
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	1

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good reminder of how bad I am at building with Legos. But at the same time it makes me want to try.

Code:
Ballot

Car- 		2
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          1
Jet Fighter-	2
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	1

Code:
Ballot

Car- 		0
Assembly Line-	1
Mechanical Bird-2
Whale-          1
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 1
Grasshopper- 	2
Gatling Gun-	3

All are great.

Code:
[B]Ballot[/B]
Roadmaster- 	0
Car- 		0
Assembly Line-	2
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          1
Jet Fighter-	1
Workshop Tools- 3
Grasshopper- 	2
Gatling Gun-	0

I also think those of us (including me) on the side of "please don't post alternate builds" were wrong . It clearly gave the thread some impetus.

Template
Code:
[B]Ballot[/B]

Car- 		2
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	1
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	1

Blizzard

Banned
I also think those of us (including me) on the side of "please don't post alternate builds" were wrong . It clearly gave the thread some impetus.
Since we're apparently discussing here anyway, I think it was a mix between that and the set being REALLY hard to use.

Although, I would have been perfectly happy with people linking alternate builds instead of posting them as inline images.

Since we're apparently discussing here anyway, I think it was a mix between that and the set being REALLY hard to use.

Although, I would have been perfectly happy with people linking alternate builds instead of posting them as inline images.

Yeah maybe next time we should do something easier and less intimidating like that classic creator parts pack thats only $15, although im leaning towards doing custom brickheadz combining up 3 of any you want, that could be really fun

Code:
Ballot
Roadmaster- 	0
Car- 		1
Assembly Line-	2
Mechanical Bird-0
Whale-          1
Jet Fighter-	1
Workshop Tools- 2
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	0

Wow, really great stuff!

The Grasshopper was the one that just blew me away the most in how great it looked.

Assembly line looked really cool after studying it a bit but I wish there were more angles? Or maybe it wouldn't have looked as good from other angles. It gets a 2 for using everything, and the robot worker was a great addition.

The rest were all really great too and I had trouble deciding how to parcel my votes. Could have gone in other ways, but I love stuff like Workshop Tools, the Whale was cute, I loved the curves and shape of Car, and I couldn't stop laughing whenever i saw the pilot's face in the Jet Fighter. I changed my votes around a few times but I'll just go with this.

Blizzard

Banned
The Grasshopper was the one that just blew me away the most in how great it looked.

Assembly line looked really cool after studying it a bit but I wish there were more angles? Or maybe it wouldn't have looked as good from other angles. It gets a 2 for using everything, and the robot worker was a great addition.

The rest were all really great too and I had trouble deciding how to parcel my votes. Could have gone in other ways, but I love stuff like Workshop Tools, the Whale was cute, I loved the curves and shape of Car, and I couldn't stop laughing whenever i saw the pilot's face in the Jet Fighter. I changed my votes around a few times but I'll just go with this.
You're too kind. :p I was super rushed at something like 4 in the morning and only built it in 1.5 hours, so I took a hasty picture instead of doing multiple angles. I suppose I could re-pose it though since it's after the contest deadline I'm not sure if it's allowed.

You're too kind. :p I was super rushed at something like 4 in the morning and only built it in 1.5 hours, so I took a hasty picture instead of doing multiple angles. I suppose I could re-pose it though since it's after the contest deadline I'm not sure if it's allowed.
It's not for voting but you could probably do it later.

4 am and rushing is how I got through college.

mrkgoo

Hey guys, I'll definitely vote if I get the chance to sit down properly (I like to make some comments about my choices).

I've been unable to check often, as I'm travelling with limited internet access.

Also, I dropped doing much with the set once Zelda came out. I definitely gave it some shots though, and had a bunch of alternate builds done on my FlickR.

It was a tough set for sure. I would usually say this brings out the challenge, but combined with a request to limit alternate build posts, timing for myself and some other people, release of Zelda probably all contributed to a slower contest this time around. I don't think we need to make changes to the format. It's just part of it - it'll happen, you just hope it's not all the time. If it does happen a lot then it's time to change.

I'm going to reiterate that the notion of "design space" being "stolen" by alternate builds being posted is kind of not true, to me at least, because originality is not the only factor that goes into Lego building.

Edit: damn didn't even read the rules to posting discussion in the other thread. Soz.

Double edit:
What the heck, I'm here now:

Code:
[B]Ballot[/B]
Roadmaster- 	1
Car- 		3
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-0
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	1
Workshop Tools- 2
Grasshopper- 	0
Gatling Gun-	1

Car: just blew me away, as it just has great lines. Very reminiscent of the Tumbler, which is what I assume is the influence. In that vein, it's made extra awesome by being a solid looking model, given the difficulty of the set.

Whale: I think it looks great! Was considering it as my first choice. Just nice and clean use of parts.

Workshop tools: cool idea to have multiple little models, but I think I was most impressed with the hammer - that one curved brick makes it instantly recognisable and so obvious yet I have never thought of that piece like that and probably always will now.

Gatling gun: I love moving parts.

Jet fighter: I didn't really have any votes left for it originally but when some one pointed out the pilot... I laughed. That made me shift a vote lol. I feel kind of bad, since with fewer entries it feels like I'm singling out lower entries ... :(

Rest assured it's always cool for me to see any builds, and I learn a little bit more from every one!

Thanks to all participants and voters! I actually had a pretty cool time with this set. I kind of hoped to see more models centred around the light brick, but there was a pretty limiting set of pieces probably mostly due to the treads.

Special thanks to chezzymann! (For being awesome)

ghostmind

Great efforts from everyone on a challenging build. Some amazing displays of imagination here!

Template
Code:
[B]Ballot[/B]
Roadmaster- 	1
Car- 		2
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-2
Whale-          1
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	1

Code:
Ballot

Roadmaster- 	2
Car- 		3
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	1
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	1
Gatling Gun-	0

Great job everyone!!

Kleevah

Code:
Ballot

Roadmaster- 	0
Car- 		1
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 3
Grasshopper- 	2
Gatling Gun-	1

I really liked all contributions this time around, so distributing the points were a lot harder than I though it was going to be. That said the tools stick out as a clear winner to me due to being so simplistic, yet so extremely recognizable. Really great stuff.

Also really looking forward to seeing what the next competition will be now.

Crispy75

Code:
Ballot
Roadmaster- 	0
Car- 		1
Assembly Line-	1
Mechanical Bird-2
Whale-          0
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 3
Grasshopper- 	2
Gatling Gun-	1

Well done everyone :) I'm amazed we managed to get this much variety out of what was a rock-hard set to build with. A bucket of white 2x4s next time pls!

Code:
Ballot
Roadmaster- 	1
Car- 		2
Assembly Line-	0
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale-          2
Jet Fighter-	0
Workshop Tools- 0
Grasshopper- 	3
Gatling Gun-	1

Lots of cool stuff here, I should have participated but was too lazy :/

Last chance to vote, I'll count em and post the results tomorrow

ninge

Roadmaster- 0
Car- 0
Assembly Line- 1
Mechanical Bird-1
Whale- 2
Jet Fighter- 0
Workshop Tools- 2
Grasshopper- 3
Gatling Gun- 1

Awesome entries by everyone :) I hope I got my vote in before the deadline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom