• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
WTF is this Gorilla thing? Is that a new theme or what??

Legend of Chima. We know there will be Gorillas, Bears, Rhinos and Skunks.

8340811447_3bf94bdfd4_o.jpg

157px-Purple_Cape_Rhino_TV_Show.png
149px-Bladvix_TV_Show.png
131px-Skinnet_TV.png

Fantomex

WTF is this Gorilla thing? Is that a new theme or what??

also: That last build of this Galaxy Squad set looks kinda like Slave 1, i like it!

Gorilla is from Chima, it's what ...uh...the Gorillas ride.

Fuck the Quinjet is 43% off on some Amazon site :( i managed to avoid it until now since i am not a fan (as some of you know lol) but THIS.... this now might just be my gateway into Marvel Superheroes of which i own none yet.

edit: Is Black Widow still exclusive to the Quinjet set at least?

Link please I want it!

Wow bunch of drops on Amazon. Fire Brigade for $120, Bug Obliterator for $59. Mines of Moria, Unexpected Gathering both 20% off. Must resist.

beje

Banned
I decided to train and practise a little bit with the Rotor Rescue set before I receive the Power Mech for the contest and this is what I did:

I have to say that working with this set is extremely complicated because you run out of "usable" pieces really soon and forced me to be creative to make the "foot" joint. It barely has bricks and most of the elements are are big or long plates. I did put into practise a neat trick I saw online some days ago and turned out great (can you spot it?). Stability is not one of it strengths though but I'm happy with the result.

wetwired

Love this - very impressive so far.

How do you start something like this? Is it just a case of trial and error with a range of pieces, referring to a pic of the vehicle/whatever you're trying to build? Or do you tackle it a different way?

I usually start with reference photos for something like this, then I pick a point on the vehicle, in this case the front\bonnet and work on that til I'm reasonably happy with it and work my way back along.

And yeah it does involve a lot of trial an error, I must have tried about 5 techniques and piece arrangements for the front before moving on. The side windows I settled on fairly early on but just changed colours to the dark glass after noticing they're tinted in the reference, the fins I must have done 10 different ways and I'm still not happy with it.

Soooooo many great looking sets. I love the logo on that Cargo Plane...I like how Lego keeps reusing some of the logos they've come up with over the years. Seeing Chima makes me wish we got a new version of Fabuland...

beje

Banned
I see a Pepe Le Pew. Too bad they have all that "clothing". It limits the reuse of the minifigs.

All the Chima sets for 2013 are listed here.
http://brickset.com/browse/themes/?year=2013&theme=Legends%20Of%20Chima

Summer and Fall Chima sets with prices are here.
http://thebrickblogger.com/2013/01/summer-2013-lego-sets/

OMG, the family house is not just 60€ as I predicted, it's going to be 60 quid which translates to 70€ or 75€ O_____O

In the other hand the Tree House is much cheaper than I expected. Maybe it's actually smaller than it looked like at a first glance-

Anyway, waiting for August is going to be excruciating. Why do they have to announce this stuff so soon?

Last few pages need a NSFW warning! Damn.

Dat castle. Brings back memories, I had the old one. And those new Galaxy Squad kits are beautiful.

Stumbled across the Quinjet for only 50 bucks. Conveniently the same place that I thought it was marked up at the first time I went looking for it.

gokieks

Finished the Sith Fury-class Interceptor, and it's a pretty neat set. I really like the way the wings are built and held together. Need to resist the temptation to take it apart immediately and try to get a TIE Interceptor MOC (which, along with the TIE Fighter, I should have enough pieces for). Probably go get the TIE Defender first, while I still can.

Emailed LEGO about getting added to the 10% coupon catalog stuff, and they said that it wont happen. My range is so far away and the process is automatic by zip code that they cannot add me. :( So now I go back to begging on here for people not using theirs.

Emailed LEGO about getting added to the 10% coupon catalog stuff, and they said that it wont happen. My range is so far away and the process is automatic by zip code that they cannot add me. :( So now I go back to begging on here for people not using theirs.

How many miles are you away, if you don't mind my asking?

golem

You know me and the fam are getting that one Wizard! That mech is dope son.

The new lego mechs are awesome.. I just got Kai's Fire Mech and its great

Also for anyone who has a Disney Annual Pass, you can get 10% off at the Downtown Disney LEGO store for purchases.

Ponn

Banned
Hey, do you automatically start getting the lego catalogs once you place your first order with lego.shop.com? Also do they have a free shipping promotion coming up anytime soon? I was going to place my first order with them when I get my tax refund, the Halloween Accessory kit with the witch for my eventual Haunted House and batting around splurging and getting either the Haunted House or Batman Arkham. If Haunted House will be available for awhile i'm thinking Arkham.

Hmm I'm like less than 5 miles from my Lego store and I didn't get the coupon. Weird. But i had to ask for the catalog via the website. Maybe I'm too new?

BigGC93

Neo Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's normal for lego to give out free parts. I used the bricks and pieces selection on lego.com to make five or six different orders, mostly just to get a read on what certain parts cost.

Anyways, They sent me a few bags of parts (the cheapest of the two quotes) that would cost me about thirty bucks total free, before I even payed for them. Not sure if this was a mistake, but I like to think of it as a thank you from lego due to all the money I spent on there site. I'm very thankful to lego myself, they were all parts I really needed. Pretty awesome.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's normal for lego to give out free parts. I used the bricks and pieces selection on lego.com to make five or six different orders, mostly just to get a read on what certain parts cost.

Anyways, They sent me a few bags of parts (the cheapest of the two quotes) that would cost me about thirty bucks total free, before I even payed for them. Not sure if this was a mistake, but I like to think of it as a thank you from lego due to all the money I spent on there site. I'm very thankful to lego myself, they were all parts I really needed. Pretty awesome.

Were you in the replacement parts section instead of in the shop? The replacement parts is for when you find that you have a missing or damaged part in your new set.

This is the shop.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme

This is for requesting replacements for missing/damaged pieces.
https://service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/#BasicInfo

Fantomex

Hey guys,

That's really nice of them. Maybe their trying to make up for the parts some of us have been missing in sets lately :)

BigGC93

Neo Member
Were you in the replacement parts section instead of in the shop? The replacement parts is for when you find that you have a missing or damaged part in your new set.

This is the shop.
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme

This is for requesting replacements for missing/damaged pieces.
https://service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/#BasicInfo

Yeah, I used the missing parts service, but I clicked the button that reads "buy a piece". I didn't request a missing or broken piece. I got an email with a a quote showing the cost after submitting the invoice, but I never payed for the order. I was using the bricks and pieces selection because I needed parts that weren't on pick a brick.

flyingpig

Neo Member
That boat is enormous by system scale! Hull is brick built? That's actually somewhat disappointing, a white boat hull would be nice to have.

Also minecraft in stock at lego s&h

Chachachachia sent me theirs a few weeks ago. First time using one. Best junior member ever.

lol been here since '08, still a junior. I guess I don't have a lot to say.

I guess I'll add to the lego topic that I stopped by the lego store today to pick up the MOC set. Figured I won't find it cheaper anywhere so might as well get VIP points for it if I'm paying full price. Since I'm getting married in July I picked up the bride and groom set....we might use it for invitations or something. I already built all 3 of the variations and they were all excellent. Very impressed with how different they all were, and fun to put together. I'll probably try a few of my own tomorrow.

She's the only one in Heartlake City with parents. She's also the only one with a house too. Her parents are loaded. I think her father is the city gigolo.

Don't forget Olivia has the brains too. She has the lab right?

lol been here since '08, still a junior. I guess I don't have a lot to say.

I guess I'll add to the lego topic that I stopped by the lego store today to pick up the MOC set. Figured I won't find it cheaper anywhere so might as well get VIP points for it if I'm paying full price. Since I'm getting married in July I picked up the bride and groom set....we might use it for invitations or something. I already built all 3 of the variations and they were all excellent. Very impressed with how different they all were, and fun to put together. I'll probably try a few of my own tomorrow.

Congrats. My wife and I will hit or 5 year anniversary this July. What's the date?

Don't forget Olivia has the brains too. She has the lab right?

Congrats. My wife and I will hit or 5 year anniversary this July. What's the date?

July 3rd. We're doing a Wednesday since my future husband self employed in graphic design with a weekly Tuesday deadline. This way we can make the most of a long weekend before he has to be back at it on Monday. Still deciding where to go though...

Top Bottom