• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished up floor 1 of the Cinema.

It was a little simplistic. The stairs are nice, and the concession stand has some neat colors. I think they could have done a bit more with the popcorn machine. I was also hoping for something more intricate with the limo, like the firetruck with the fire brigade, but it also is very simplistic. By far the biggest let down are the stickers. There are many of them, and they're big. I wish they had gone the extra mile and printed these.

Hoping the second floor and the roof are a bit more enjoyable to build.

Will say this though, it looks great so far, except for the limo which is a let down visually.

My wife totally surprised me tonight by present me with An Unexpected Gathering #79003 as my Valentine's Day present! Can't wait to build this bad boy!

Naka

Came home tonight and the girlfriend had picked up the small Valentine box for me. I know it's nothing huge but it made me happy :) Don't mind the wine bottle haha!

f70973b2772311e2851922000a9e084f_7.jpg

Just built together my little Snowtrooper Battleback i got the other day (you gotta have SOME snowtroopers)

As the set is from 2010, it's interesting to note that they are not as detailed as some of the newer figs like the 2012 Sandtroopers which are amazing! Also a bit disappointed that the headpiece and backpack is all ONE connected piece and there is no backprinting but oh well...

Until newer Snowtroopers show up, these will do though :)

BOO-URNS!

Still mega hyped, but I shall have to be EXTRA careful with this one. Too bad they didnt make it a buildable frame where you can put a paper poster in there and print your own.

Someone pointed this out to me in another thread, so I will do the same.... "Boo-urns" means you actually like it. I know...mind blown!
And yes, stickers blow.

Family portrait:

XmevbvO.jpg

Still a lot of building to do.

Mix the bags!!!

Btw is Palace Cinema the only modular building with stickers?

Thus far, yes.

I wish they had printed the posters and marquee though. If a $10 Friends set can get a printed window, why cant the modular? Probably because that printed window piece will show up in a lot of sets eventually.

The inclusion of stickers and the new branding is making me think that LEGO is damned if they do and damned if they don't with many AFOL. Just go read forums over on Eurobricks or elsewhere.

Just built together my little Snowtrooper Battleback i got the other day (you gotta have SOME snowtroopers)

As the set is from 2010, it's interesting to note that they are not as detailed as some of the newer figs like the 2012 Sandtroopers which are amazing! Also a bit disappointed that the headpiece and backpack is all ONE connected piece and there is no backprinting but oh well...

Love the Snowtroopers, would be awesome to have a better detailed model. I agree that nothing tops those Sandtroopers though.

The stickers in the Cinema Modular are going to end in tears...I just know it.

The only ones that are greatly concerning me are the ones for the marquee because two of them need to line up to look correct. The posters will be fine, even if slightly crooked.

At least it isnt using stickers like Maersk did, with some stickers covering multiple pieces at once, making it impossible to disassemble without removing the sticker.

I ended up getting the Creator Transport Chopper and opted to use the extra money to get a nice storage container. With all the creator sets I've been getting I was going to need them pretty soon. Also got a pretty nice PAB cup, they had a lot of nice tile pieces and a lot of making for houses. Got fencing, tall grass like pieces, some different type of flower pieces, and pillar pieces. They also had a couple different colors of sloped stud pieces.

I found out that apparently they've been out of minifigs here for about a month and won't be getting anymore series 9. Guess I'll need to head there early when they start getting series 10 in.

Fxp

Exactly. Some stickers here and there are an annoyance, but the fact that I can never completely take apart Maersk now annoys me. Well, I could, but that set looks very odd without the stickers.

Or you could order extra stickers from Bricklink. It still sucks, though.

Draxal

They released newer snowtroopers in this year's hoth set, I think the only difference is that they have grey hands instead of white.

124px-Snow_Tropper_2013.pngp

R-User!

Exactly. Some stickers here and there are an annoyance, but the fact that I can never completely take apart Maersk now annoys me. Well, I could, but that set looks very odd without the stickers.

Well, you could just keep the pieces that have STAMP in a ziploc sandwich bag when and if you disassemble the Maersk. So you'd have access to all but a few pieces...

But yeah it would be better if you could have full access to ALL of your pieces when you dissassemble a given set... :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thus far, yes.

I wish they had printed the posters and marquee though. If a $10 Friends set can get a printed window, why cant the modular? Probably because that printed window piece will show up in a lot of sets eventually.

The inclusion of stickers and the new branding is making me think that LEGO is damned if they do and damned if they don't with many AFOL. Just go read forums over on Eurobricks or elsewhere.

two window plates with space between them and double sided card prints for posters would have been perfect. But I don't know if there are frames that would take that?

Well, you could just keep the pieces that have STAMP in a ziploc sandwich bag when and if you disassemble the Maersk. So you'd have access to all but a few pieces...

But yeah it would be better if you could have full access to ALL of your pieces when you dissassemble a given set... :)

Given LEGO's stickers, thats only a temporary reprieve anyway. Eventually they'll harden and flake off.

Personally I'd like water based decals

for any big sets I buy in the future I might try and either scan the stickers in before I apply them, or get a spare sheet from lego/bricklink as backup for later on.

ruxtpin

Banned
Looking at that pic of the sets with the Green Grocer included, I'm now deliberating if it's worth going after before prices continue rising. I'd be okay with skipping that Market Street, and I don't intend to buy the Cafe Corner for $900 or more - but I really like the design of the Grocer and could probably stomach the bill. Have to see if I get anything from my tax return.

for any big sets I buy in the future I might try and either scan the stickers in before I apply them, or get a spare sheet from lego/bricklink as backup for later on.

This is what I've been doing. I go onto Bricklink and order a couple of extra sheets for sets that have stickers. I think I've got spares for all of the LotR and Marvel sets that I own. Have some extra ones for a Galaxy Squad on the way. Unless it's an older set, you can usually find a dealer that will sell the sheets for 50-75 cents a piece.

The A-Wing is a great buy. Also the Chase McCain set is also pretty cool and you get a code for the upcoming game as well!

I built he Chase McCain set last night and it was a fun little build. The only downside to it is that there are a lot of stickers. The hoods of both cars are stickers and there are a lot of license plates and decals for the sides of the vehicles as well. I guess this is a big trend in modern Legos.

two window plates with space between them and double sided card prints for posters would have been perfect. But I don't know if there are frames that would take that?.
I think thick enough card stock pressed against the window pane might actually hold. Curious to try that now. Then you could swap posters anytime you wanted.

I did notice that in the last few designer videos they explicitly make reference to how they know a lot of people don't like stickers.

Edit:

Has this been posted yet? $249 CDN. Ugh.

10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs-600x474.jpg

More info here: http://www.hothbricks.com/2013/02/10240-red-five-x-wing-starfighter-lautre-x-wing-ucs/

10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs-7.jpg

10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs-5.jpg

10240-red-five-xwing-starfighter-ucs-6.jpg

DJ_Lae

Forgive me Lego-GAF, for I have sinned...

Never tried those, though if I'm honest the one Kreo transformer set I have feels both better designed and was more interesting to assemble than the green Creator robot.

Its vehicle alternate build is garbage, though. But the actual transformer is leagues more interesting. I just felt dirty while building it.

(if nothing else, Kreo pieces feel much closer to Lego in terms of the plastic used and their fit)

Just opened my Captain America's Avenging Cycle set and built the Captain which i primarily bought this set for and...

What can i say? His SHIELD is pretty messed up imo, does anyone here own him and have his shield look like this?

Mainly the 2 white "stripes" on the sides of the star bother me but also that "dirt" on the right which are indeed some kinda scratches or discolorations?

I am seriously tempted to contact Lego about this to demand another shield for him, i have never done this though, how would i go about doing it? I bought from Amazon, so contact THEM or Lego directly?

Just opened my Captain America's Avenging Cycle set and built the Captain which i primarily bought this set for and...

What can i say? His SHIELD is pretty messed up imo, does anyone here own him and have his shield look like this?

Mainly the 2 white "stripes" on the sides of the star bother me but also that "dirt" on the right which are indeed some kinda scratches or discolorations?

I am seriously tempted to contact Lego about this to demand another shield for him, i have never done this though, how would i go about doing it? I bought from Amazon, so contact THEM or Lego directly?

call LEGO directly, their support is super kewel

neonglow

call LEGO directly, their support is super kewel

I actually checked their site and they have a service online for this it seems, i filled out a brief form about what was wrong and "ordered" the messed up pieces from them, they will ship it to my address and since i wasn't charged anything i assume it was free :)

Hopefully this works out, though i can see certain people abusing this system since they don't even check whether you actually bought a certain set or not hmm

Oh weird-they still show up for me.

Thanks!

It looks too similar to the current X-Wing in my opinion....and that price tag. Ouch.

Thanks to whoever posted the heads up on Winter Cottage. Just snagged it for $90 CDN. The Pick-A-Brick wall at this store was really nice.

-Clear cheese 1x1s
-Clear round 1x1 plates
-Yellow 2x2 tiles
-White 1x2x1 panels. I've never seen these in a PAB wall before

Damn that UCS X-Wing hmm...

I will probably buy it regardless but so far i don't really like it all that much, it looks indeed VERY similar to the current X-Wing and apparently also to the UCS one from the year 2000.

I know it will always look similar since it IS an X-Wing and all but from those pics i feel like it does not necessarily look all that MORE detailed than the current X-Wing for that piece count, plus the SCALE is totally off, it's not minifig scale yet they throw that R2 in there hmm

damnit, just saw all the stickers on the x-wing :(
and I agree it does look very much like the current minifig x-wing, with little added bang for the buck

Just cos of your VIP points or are there signs of it disappearing soonish? It's pretty recent still i thought, so that would still leave me with some time to grab it!

I got it because it's a great deal & I want to have all four Winter Holiday sets
10173 does not exist. 10173 does not exist.
before 2013's Christmas set comes out.

On a related note, the staff did confirm that Winter Post Office is officially retired. I'm not sure if we had confirmation on that before.

Top Bottom