• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Lord of the Rings |OT| Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

Would buy on day 1 but every LEGO game has gotten cheaper nearly a week after its launch. Batman 2 has been on sale every single week since it's release in June.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hmm, do I get this for the 3DS or do I wait a bit to see if the Wii U gets a port of the console versions?

Also, Newegg has the 3DS version for $29.99 and free shipping.

WiiU version using the gamepad for player 2 would be great. I love playing the lego games with my kids, but that dynamic split screen method makes my head spin

How is 'open world' different from the hubs we had before in Star Wars, pirates of the carribean etc?

Kiraly

Do the 3ds/vita versions have the same cutscenes as the console ones?

I bough lego pirates on psp because it was cheap, but the cutscenes are extremely short and not the same ones as on the ps3.

Draconian

I'd still like to know where the OP got his information, although it's most likely correct.

I should be clear there's no evidence from Traveller's Tales or WB as they've been mum on the issue as they were with LEGO Batman 2. I don't think we figured out the handheld versions were different until somebody posted they saw the game at some games conference and saw the handheld versions in person.

That being said, there are three reasons that I think the Vita version will not be the same as the console versions.

1. All of the versions known to feature the open world have been delayed. The only versions not delayed are the handheld ones.

2. The HUD in the video you gave is not the same as the console versions and is similar, if not the same as, the HUD for the 3DS version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtNG5-WwFBA (Note the gold ring around the character logo and the stud counter only appearing when they are collected)

3. The LEGO Batman 2 Vita version was a 3DS port.

To recap, I know I'm making an assumption because TT and WB are never going to announce that some versions of their games are missing features that the other platforms have. However, I think the assumption is pretty well supported, and certainly there's much more evidence to believe it's LEGO Batman 2 all over again than not. That being said, if there's any evidence to the contrary, then I'll gladly go back and re-edit the OP. I will say it looks graphically better than the Vita version of LEGO Batman 2 did, that's for sure.

Rootbeer

Banned
PC version get. Will get Vita version if it ever hits $10.

I hope they wait on the Hobbit version until all 3 movies are out. Considering it's only 3 films and not more (like Harry Potter) they shouldn't split it... but stranger things have happened.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
May get PC version. Are they as... uninspired as the Star Wars one? Didn't really like those =/

Rootbeer

Banned
May get PC version. Are they as... uninspired as the Star Wars one? Didn't really like those =/

watch some of the gameplay videos in the OP. they have slowly been adding more features in each game. this one is a bit more like lego batman 2, only with even more stuff such as multiple weapons/items per character.

also you can download the pc demo above to test it

Welp, looks like my GameStop has a midnight opening for AC3 and they'll also sell any other title that releases tomorrow. Should I be that random jerk who goes in only for LEGO LotR Vita and the Elrond minifig?

"Hey, everyone is here for LotR Vita, right?"

How are previous games? Fairly full ports? Any multiplayer options?

Completely different games. No multiplayer. They're usually fairly solid, but nowhere near as polished/complete as console experiences. Tend to be shorter too. And all the versions (Vita, 3DS) are just slightly better looking versions of the Nintendo DS version, or have been in the past anyway.

In other news, when the hell is the console version getting a demo on XBLA?

How are previous games? Fairly full ports? Any multiplayer options?

The Vita version of LEGO Batman 2 was a straight port of the 3DS version, which looked like a port from the DS. No open world hub, inferior art style compared to the console version and a boring areana mode to unlock new costumes.

That said, what little footage we've seen of LotR Vita makes it look superior to the 3DS demo.

Anyone remember the days of Lego Star Wars II PSP? Full console ports. With all the unlockables, the Lego games are perfect for on the go.

It'll be interesting to see if the Wii version is anything like the PS3/360 versions. If so, it's baffling that Vita (and really, 3DS) get the inferior port.

Does anyone know the OP's source for console/PC LotR having an open world hub?

Bleh, I suppose it doesn't matter. It's the first I've heard of it was in the OP.

I have a friend who is a massive fan of the Lego video game series (currently he is playing the Harry Potter games) and when I first showed him the trailer for Lego: LoTR he nearly died. The last one I played was Lego: Indiana Jones and it was good, but they really much better when played with somebody else.

SRTtoZ

To be fair, that off screen Vita video looked great. The up close Lego dudes looked great and that loading screen was sexy as hell on the OLED. This might still be a good pick up even if its missing the open world (which is likely).

To be fair, that off screen Vita video looked great. The up close Lego dudes looked great and that loading screen was sexy as hell on the OLED. This might still be a good pick up even if its missing the open world (which is likely).

Yep, that's exactly why I'm optimistic. Guess we'll find out the truth tomorrow.

SRTtoZ

Yep, that's exactly why I'm optimistic. Guess we'll find out the truth tomorrow.

Also, I was one of the mad people who wanted to buy Lego Batman 2 on Vita but settled for it on PS3 because of the open world. Honestly the open world wasn't that amazing, it was cool flying around as batman for 5 minutes but after that it was kind of meh. That being said, it would be a great addition to the handheld versions but hardly game breaking. I'm only mad because its lazy of the devs to not include it since we know it can be done on Vita. Ill wait for impressions tomorrow and if the Vita version is good enough ill probably pick it up on that. I still have yet to 100% Lego Batman 2 on PS3, so I dont need another console lego game.

jozero

Neo Member
Will there be a PS3 (or 360) demo ? If so when ?

This game is a must buy for me, but I tend not to like the relatively low grade graphics the lego games have. So either its a handheld purchase or PS3.

Okay, let's see how this goes.
IMG_2800.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
does gamestop give the pre-order bonus to non-pre-order purchases if they have leftovers?

I could find myself buying this tomorrow for the minifig :p

bengraven

Interested in this open world and what areas it covers. Would be cool if it moved along with you, letting you explore some of the combat-less areas. Like at first you can explore the shire, then Rivendell, then Moria, Lorien, Fangorn, etc.

Also, the deaths are going to be hilariously sad.

Top Bottom