• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Zerojul

alright people i need help getting to that 55 euro limit for the upcoming May the fourth SW Lego store day!!!

I don't wanna go big this time, else i'd just get Ewok Village and call it a day so i already got 2 Microfighters planned in which will get me up to 20 euros if i am not mistaken, then maybe that battlepack with those sexy Royal Guards but then i am STILL not over 55!!

Any other suggestions to get up there or other sets instead?

I'd go with the Kashyyyk and Utapau battle packs (15€-ish each), I read they might be worth it even for the minifigs only. That or the A-wing (30€) if you don't have it already. It's an OT ship, the pilot minifig is cool and you get Ackbar. With a cup :)
I think I'll go with a Jedi Defender-class Cruiser myself, it's a Lego shop exclusive and I don't think I'll ever get a better discount than -15%. Or the UCS SSD if it's discounted but I kinda doubt it.

ghostmind

alright people i need help getting to that 55 euro limit for the upcoming May the fourth SW Lego store day!!!

I don't wanna go big this time, else i'd just get Ewok Village and call it a day so i already got 2 Microfighters planned in which will get me up to 20 euros if i am not mistaken, then maybe that battlepack with those sexy Royal Guards but then i am STILL not over 55!!

Any other suggestions to get up there or other sets instead?

OT only, or are you ok with PT or EU sets?

Also, do you already have everything you want from the 2013 waves (minus the Ewok Village that you already mentioned)?

ghostmind

*hyperventilates* Coworker just texted me that someone returned a Quinjet, and the sale price is $55. So I can grab it for less than $30. Today I had actually resigned myself to never finding one but the Lego gods have smiled upon me @_____@

Steal of a deal!

If only they had LEGO stores back when I used to work in retail... Of course I was still in my "dark age" back then.

ghostmind

My Pet Shop review

With that, I'm done for now. Overall, this was a really cool build with tons of great details, but not the best modular. What's your list?

1) Green Grocer - as long as you don't look inside. The shop itself, everything on street level, the fire escape (probably the most ridiculously complex official Lego build ever), the roof terrace, the awesome turret, the roof lining. And it's huge.
2) Parisian Restaurant - the Return of Jamie. In many ways a refined Green Grocer, with ridiculous detail everywhere. Only loses points for being rather cramped.
3) Pet Shop - very cool build overall. The town house is great, with an awesome first floor and at least a fun idea on the second. The pet shop is as great as the Green Grocer store and the apartment looks really neat. Maybe a little lifeless overall.
4) Fire Brigade - awesome front, dat second floor. Around the sides and back it's very much boring stacking though.
(5) Cafe Corner - just from the look of it, a really cool exterior design. A bit too expensive and too big though.)
6) Grand Emporium - very imposing building, horribly boring to build and not much going on inside. A few creative ideas that flesh out the outside.
(7) Palace Cinema - looks like Grand Emporium 2.0, rather pretty exterior but boring interior.)
(8) Town Hall - big and rather plain. Some cool ideas inside but it's just not interesting to me.)
9) Market Street - as mentioned, it's very plain compared to the regular modulars. The architecture is rather nice and there are some cool techniques that takes it slightly above a modern Creator set in complexity.

after some hard thinking, for me it would go...

1) Green Grocer - this and the next entry are so ridiculously close, but I think that the fact that this is the oldest modular I own is giving it the edge.
2) Parisian Restaurant - after a couple of less impressive entries, a true return to greatness for the theme
3) Pet Shop - I love the fact that these can be split, and the front walk-ups are fantastic; if only the apartment had more detail, and not just reno work
4) Fire Brigade - dat second floor
5) Town Hall - an extremely monotonous build is saved by the final product looking so great and towering above the other modulars
6) Grand Emporium - has some cool things going on, but the interior is weak
7) Palace Cinema - the low point in the theme, with a theatre room that makes little sense, and a substandard auto

awesome to know. do you have an item # for it? walgreens.com lets you search for items by the item # and you can do a "find in store" that way.

yeah not sure how walgreens does their stock, but I have seen entire boxes on shelves before. Seen Movie series at walgreens many times (though not lately :p)
I'll check shortly

The Lamonster said:
MAJOR LUCKY SIMPSONS HAUL!

I attempted to feel the bags, but apparently I'm terrible at it so I just gave up and bought 16 bags hoping for the best, and I only got two dupes!

I'm willing to trade with Gaffers via USPS-

NEED
Ned Flanders
Itchy (the mouse)

CAN TRADE
Ralph Wiggum
Nelson Muntz

any takers?
reposting for the new page :)

Of the ones I own, this is my ranking.

1) Parisian Restaurant - This one has it all. Colors, play elements, and more "active" outdoor area to fill with other minifigs than any other modular.
2) Pet Shop - I love the split modular idea. I hope we get another. I also love the fact they worked a basement into the apartment. Thing like the doorbell were simple but amazing details.
3) Fire Brigade - I just liked the way this one came together. The colors add a lot to the town and it has an iconic look and feel to it.
4) Palace Cinema - The roof was was of my favorite modular builds. The building brings a lot of character and color to the town at both street and roof level. Fuck the car though. What a waste of piece count.
5) Grand Emporium - Lots to love here, from the chandelier to the bending "Shop" sign. I love the window cleaner and the billboard for diorama reasons. All the windows look great too.
6) Town Hall - While the build itself was a bit boring (except for the elevator), is one of the better looking fully assembled buildings.

-While technically not a modular, the Haunted House would be my #2. I use it as a modular anyway, along with pretty much everyone else :p It's the scary house at end of the road in my town.

What do I want next?) A Bank. A Police Station. A Hospital. A high rise corner apartment building around Town Hall size. A modular open air park full of trees, walkways, benches, fountains, and statues would bring a lot to the world they're helping us build. You could keep the park single level, double the area, and still pack it with detail.

Modular accessories like a hot dog cart or something like that would be cool too. The Lego Movie ice cream truck looks pretty great with the modular line and that was one of my top ideas for modular specific vehicles. The purple Harry Potter double decker bus goes well too. Oddly, the BttF Delorean looks pretty swell too! I'm thinking the Ecto-1 will be parked outside my haunted house permanently.

Zerojul

While technically not a modular, the Haunted House would be my #2. I use it as a modular anyway, along with pretty much everyone else :p It's the scary house at end of the road in my town.

Even if I only have Fire Brigade for now, I agree that Haunted House belongs with the modulars. It makes sense :)

I'm thinking the Ecto-1 will be parked outside my haunted house permanently.

I love this idea ! I got the Vampire Hearse parked outside mine at the moment and it looks great, but Ecto-1 will likely take the spot in June !

Even if I only have Fire Brigade for now, I agree that Haunted House belongs with the modulars. It makes sense :)

I love this idea ! I got the Vampire Hearse parked outside mine at the moment and it looks great, but Ecto-1 will likely take the spot in June !

It's cool how almost all Lego themes go great together in some way or another. For instance, the PotC ships look great near the haunted house when they are decked out with undead. The Black Pearl with a vampire captain and monstrous crew almost look like the set was designed that way! Having the various super heroes jumping around the rooftoops look great too.

All the $20 City vehicles look great with the modulars. I just need a bigger area for streets. If I put vehicles out in front of the buildings, it just blocks out too much street level detail for my liking.

Arkham will join my ranks soon enough! It will be a great place to dump a lot of my DC characters into the city. I need a Marvel equivalent of some sort. X-mansion, Baxter Building, or Avengers Tower? Not sure really, but they need a play area too :)

Zerojul

Arkham will join my ranks soon enough! It will be a great place to dump a lot of my DC characters into the city. I need a Marvel equivalent of some sort. X-mansion, Baxter Building, or Avengers Tower? Not sure really, but they need a play area too :)

Yeah, I hope that the succes of the X-mansion Cuusoo project, even if it's not funded in the end, gives Lego some good ideas ;)

ruxtpin

Banned
Completely blind grab at 12 Simpson's packs nabbed me..

Marge x2
Homer x2
Maggie
Bart
Ned
Lisa
Apu
Chief Wiggum
Nelson
Krusty

Not too bad.

ghostmind

OT only mainly yes... that's the thing, i might have overlooked a gem or two... already have the A--Wing though....

Rancor Pit? (If you have Jabba's Palace)
JEK-14's Fighter or Jedi Cruiser from the the EU.
X-wing or Desert skiff if you don't already have them from 2012.

I could also see some discounts on the 2013 sets as part of the May 4th promotion.

Rancor Pit? (If you have Jabba's Palace)
JEK-14's Fighter or Jedi Cruiser from the the EU.
X-wing or Desert skiff if you don't already have them from 2012.

I could also see some discounts on the 2013 sets as part of the May 4th promotion.

the Rancor Pit indeed as i own Jabba's Palace but to me the Pit looks awful as a set so i'd basically pay that price only to get the Rancor itself and that is kinda expensive :(

I don't do EU and already got the X-Wing and Skiff and most things from 2012 :( looks like i'm outta options here, hell i might just grab Ewok Village now since it probably won't come to Amazon/get any cheaper anyway right?

ghostmind

the Rancor Pit indeed as i own Jabba's Palace but to me the Pit looks awful as a set so i'd basically pay that price only to get the Rancor itself and that is kinda expensive :(

I don't do EU and already got the X-Wing and Skiff and most things from 2012 :( looks like i'm outta options here, hell i might just grab Ewok Village now since it probably won't come to Amazon/get any cheaper anyway right?

If LEGO's policy continues then no, I don't see the Ewok Village getting discounted, unless LEGO does it themselves for the May 4th promotion.

It really is worth it though, set of the year for 2013 from both myself and Phon.

When I put everything back up with Pet Shop included, I came up with the idea of a small 16x32 road section that will house Ecto-1. There is seriously no other space. This also shows how the buildings are practically scraping the roof:

p0YsP94.jpg

And then I immediately thought of nice additions to tie it in with Parisian Restaurant since I don't have another corner building. Once again it's off to Bricklink...

One thing that actually annoys me with the modulars is the plain sidewalks. Sometimes I want to add random studs just to have somewhere to place figures. I might actually have to do that. I did with Green Grocer for the police/salad thief.

rallaren

Even if I don't own any of the modulars they always look great. They look perfect (almost, becuase it would be hard to lift the floor sections off) for my glass cabinets even though I like them side by side like that.

Refined a few more cabinets. Got first gen DDR cab design redone with EuroMix 2, Extreme and Suprnova completed. Here's EuroMix 2.

Need to work on 2nd and final gen cab design with DDRX and the final Dance Dance Revolution.

Refined a few more cabinets. Got first gen DDR cab design redone with EuroMix 2, Extreme and Suprnova completed. Here's EuroMix 2.

Need to work on 2nd and final gen cab design with DDRX and the final Dance Dance Revolution.

Man, you are really making me want to make my own arcade setup... Possibly Capcom and Sega setups.

what program is that that you are using to make these renders?

Holy Minecraft!

6 more Minecraft microworld sets! I'd rather see what the minifig scale ones look like and get those. I think this is saturating the market.

Although, if the Creative Box has lots of printed mob pieces I'll buy a few of those.

http://brickset.com/article/11027

LEGO 21117 Minecraft Microworld - The Ender Dragon
LEGO 21116 Minecraft Microworld - Creative Box
LEGO 21115 Minecraft Microworld - The First Night
LEGO 21114 Minecraft Microworld - The Fram (I'm guessing typo and it should be Farm)
LEGO 21113 Minecraft Microworld - The Cave
LEGO 21118 Minecraft Microworld - The Mine

ghostmind

Holy Minecraft!

6 more Minecraft microworld sets! I'd rather see what the minifig scale ones look like and get those. I think this is saturating the market.

Although, if the Creative Box has lots of printed mob pieces I'll buy a few of those.

http://brickset.com/article/11027

LEGO 21117 Minecraft Microworld - The Ender Dragon
LEGO 21116 Minecraft Microworld - Creative Box
LEGO 21115 Minecraft Microworld - The First Night
LEGO 21114 Minecraft Microworld - The Fram (I'm guessing typo and it should be Farm)
LEGO 21113 Minecraft Microworld - The Cave
LEGO 21118 Minecraft Microworld - The Mine

These are the minifig-scale sets - the retailer has them listed incorrectly.

There will be one more microworld set this year though - The End.

Rough prices for these sets:

21113 $20
21114 $30
21115 $40
21116 $55
21117 $70
21118 $100

Is there any guess as to when they'll become available, or even revealed? A coworker said there was a teaser somewhere involving an Easter egg so maybe tomorrow or Monday?

frogg609

My local WalMart got in a box of the Simpsons minifigs. I grabbed 4, and am super impressed. I will definitely be trying to get the entire set. They also rang up for 2.99 instead of 3.99, which made me extra happy.

75BuZu3l.jpg

From The Digital Bits:

Warner has also announced the Blu-ray Combo and DVD “Everything Is Awesome” Edition release of The LEGO Movie on 6/17 (SRP $35.99 and $59.98). Extras will include audio commentary by the filmmakers, outtakes, deleted scenes, an Alleyway Test, promo content and 8 featurettes (Batman: A True Artist, Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops, Enter the Ninjago, Bringing LEGO to Life, “Everything is Awesome” Sing-Along, See it! Build it!, Stories from the Story Team, and Fan-Made Films: Top Secret Submissions) and on the Blu-ray only, the exclusive Dream Job: Meet The LEGO Builders featurette. The DVD will have it’s on exclusive: It’ll come packed with a an exclusive LEGO Vitruvius mini-figure, a bonus 3D movie, and a collectible 3D Emmet photo.

Just in time for wave 2 of the sets. Very excited about the exclusive blu ray featurette.

Woo hooo! My local Wallgreens has a brand new box of Simpsons minis, not a single one sold yet!

My girlfriend and I felt them up and I was able to pick up the last few I needed, now I have the whole set :)

Here are doubles. I'm willing to trade these for some Movie CMFs or any CMFs from earlier if their cool. I still have some Movie CMFs to open so I'll post my needs/haves for those.

Flanders x1
Bart x2
Homer x1
Krusty x1
Mr. Burns x1
Maggie x2

Alright. Cooking up an OP for the Mixels contest now. Will post a link once it is up.

Figuring we should give until mid May for entries. End of May for voting. I think three weeks to make a MOC is good enough for most to secure the sets and make something, unless someone thinks it should be shorter.

Alright. Cooking up an OP for the Mixels contest now. Will post a link once it is up.

Figuring we should give until mid May for entries. End of May for voting. I think three weeks to make a MOC is good enough for most to secure the sets and make something, unless someone thinks it should be shorter.

Yay. This time I'm prepared with red and yellow team ready to go

scoot3r

Me and the wifey went to our first lego store today! I picked up the grand emporium and the delorean. I can't wait to get back home tomorrow to start on them!

21113 $20
21114 $30
21115 $40
21116 $55
21117 $70
21118 $100

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense. I can't wait to see how they turned out. At the very least I'm sure my kids will like the Steve minifig.

Woo hooo! My local Wallgreens has a brand new box of Simpsons minis, not a single one sold yet!

My girlfriend and I felt them up and I was able to pick up the last few I needed, now I have the whole set :)

Here are doubles. I'm willing to trade these for some Movie CMFs or any CMFs from earlier if their cool. I still have some Movie CMFs to open so I'll post my needs/haves for those.

Flanders x1
Bart x2
Homer x1
Krusty x1
Mr. Burns x1
Maggie x2

I consider myself an expert bag groper. If I take my time, I can tell 100% of the time. The hardest ones with the Simpsons CMFs for me are Millhouse and Ralph Wiggum because they are identical (including accessories) except for the heads.

Me and the wifey went to our first lego store today! I picked up the grand emporium and the delorean. I can't wait to get back home tomorrow to start on them!

We all remember our first time. ;) It's plastic heaven with the rainbow wall of PAB (Pick-A-Brick).

Rootbeer

Banned
HMMMMMMM

Something seemed off about this and I couldn't place it but now I know what it is: It's strange as hell to me to see Steve's block head on a non-block body. I wonder if that's what the actual MiniFig will look like? D:

Yeah not a fan... frankly I think LEGO and Minecraft, while they share some core principles, are not a good mix aesthetically... but these are going to sell amazing anyway so what do I know.

I'd still kill for a LEGO game that had all the strengths and creativity of minecraft though.

Anyway, looks like i'm gonna hit up like 10 walgreens and try to find more simpsons... not hard to do since walgreens are EVERYWHERE in the bay area

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

21113 $20
21114 $30
21115 $40
21116 $55
21117 $70
21118 $100

Looking forward to the Minecraft sets. Kinda wish they'd do one for a big Creeper/Steve.

I'm about 30 minutes off of finishing the first half of the fire brigade. I can't wait to see what you guys mean by 'dat second floor' haha it was tough going at first as I was a couple of hours in and i didn't seem to have got anywhere. I guess this will always be the case with the big sets. I'm loving the look of it though. Also my first minifigs with original heads and faces. Very cute.

Man, you are really making me want to make my own arcade setup... Possibly Capcom and Sega setups.

what program is that that you are using to make these renders?

Thanks for the feedback. I am focusing on Bemani fight now but my Arcade will have 6 floors and I see half being other cabs including a fighting game floor full of candy/astro city.

Sega gun games and Namco racers need to be there too.

To answer your question, POVray makes the render but LDview generates the pov file from an ldr. On a train right now but there are guides on eurobricks.

theaface

Re-posting from the competition thread, this is my Mixel competition entry...

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

This is my first ever MOC, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. :D

mrkgoo

Re-posting from the competition thread, this is my Mixel competition entry...

I call him ROCKODILE. Obviously he's a Mixel MAX made from the 3 rock-type mixels, although there were a fair few parts left over.

He has movable front and back legs (with adjustable claws on the front legs), a double-jointed tail and my favourite/main part which was the inspriation for the design - opening and closing upper/lower jaws.

This is my first ever MOC, so I'm pretty pleased with the result. :D

Nice! There's a mixel competition thread?

wetwired

Played around with some more Ghostbusters stuff tonight, mixel joints in action...

terrordog1.jpg

looking at this pic against photos of the real thing I need to make the shoulders wider and the head too, not sure if I should bother though as it's very large and not minifig scale at all, I'm wondering if I should scale it down and essentially start from scratch instead.

Top Bottom