• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Target in my area messed up and put out movie sets the other day, which are now gone. But they also put out some of the books, including the guidebook.

The guidebook had pictures of all the characters and official sets throughout, but the end of the book is what got my attention.

I do not know if the pictures at the back are actual sets they will release eventually, but if they are: HOLY CRAP! GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

One set: a giant yellow mech made from construction equipment. It looks huge.

Second set: giant space ship, in the classic blue and grey color scheme with yellow windows. I almost let out an audible squeal in the store when I saw it. This set better become a reality.

Finally: there is a picture at the back of the book with all the set designers and on the table are all the sets for the movie. The mech and the big space ship are on the table as well. But there is also a HUGE pirate ship on there. And I mean HUGE.

I took some pics from the book, but I know things like that are sometimes frowned upon on here. I will upload them and post links if anyone wants them, but DAMN. These sets better become real.

Phon - did the spaceship look similar to this?

HOcRwTr.jpg

And yes, please post links to the scans!

Jimbro72

I just got done adding in all my stuff into brickset of what I think are all my sets. I did not include any of the CMFs nor does this include any sets I have multiples of, which that is probably fewer than 10.

Current # of sets: 394

Piece count: 188,856

my collection

Phon - did the spaceship look similar to this?

And yes, please post links to the scans!

That piddly lil thing? HA! This thing was closer in size to the Malevolence or something. HUGE.

Gotta find my phone cord to upload pics, because I am stoopid excited by the pic. It better become reality.

Crappy quality pics, but gives you an idea of what I was squeeing about.

WARNING: These could be major movie spoilers if you care.

Super Secret Police set. I want this to be real.

Giant Construction Mech.

Giant Blue Spaceship. MOTHER OF GOD, GIVE IT TO ME NOW!

Staff pic, with lots of sets. I accidentally cut off the huge construction mech. But DAT PIRATE SHIP!

I really, really hope these sets are real and not some one off thing just for this random guide book to the movie. Give me that giant pirate ship and blue spaceship and you have the best theme of the year right there.

Jimbro72

Giant Construction Mech.

Staff pic, with lots of sets. I accidentally cut off the huge construction mech. But DAT PIRATE SHIP!

I really, really hope these sets are real and not some one off thing just for this random guide book to the movie. Give me that giant pirate ship and blue spaceship and you have the best theme of the year right there.

Thanks for sharing! If those sets are to be released next year, my want list just got a little bit bigger. Can't really make out much detail of the pirate ship but what you can tell is that the thing is pretty freaking huge and tall. The fact that they are pictured with sets that we already know are being released certainly gives one hope that they will be part of a 2nd wave of releases or something.

ghostmind

Giant Construction Mech.

These need to be real. All of them. Especially the spaceship. But also all of them.

Hopefully they become a reality in the 2H wave, as that is when the big sets get slated for release.

We'll know for sure by February 16th.

These need to be real. All of them. Especially the spaceship. But also all of them.

Hopefully they become a reality in the 2H wave, as that is when the big sets get slated for release.

We'll know for sure by February 16th.

I know. The spaceship looks old school enough with the design, but uses enough modern parts and techniques. Notice the use of the new UCS X-Wing cockpit window. And LOVE the old school space logo everywhere on it.

But the pirate ship in that pic looks enormous. The back end looks like it is giant and super tall.

As awesome as the construction mech looks, I dont get the nostalgia boner like I do for the pirate ship or the space ship. The space ship tickles me in all the right places.

I think the reason they didn't reveal those yet is they are probably major movie spoilers based on the text in those pics.

ghostmind

I know. The spaceship looks old school enough with the design, but uses enough modern parts and techniques. Notice the use of the new UCS X-Wing cockpit window. And LOVE the old school space logo everywhere on it.

But the pirate ship in that pic looks enormous. The back end looks like it is giant and super tall.

As awesome as the construction mech looks, I dont get the nostalgia boner like I do for the pirate ship or the space ship. The space ship tickles me in all the right places.

I think the reason they didn't reveal those yet is they are probably major movie spoilers based on the text in those pics.

Another image of Benny's ship has been found in another LEGO Movie book:

http://i.imgur.com/Rjo0XCf.jpg

They've got the new 2014 Star Wars missile launchers on the ship.

Jimbro72

The mech is the only one of those 4 I probably would not buy unless it's one of those with an alternate build into some construction vehicle, then I'd probably get it. The other 3, though, oh yeah, I'll be getting if made available.

Rootbeer

Banned
My list: 179 sets (165 different). 32002 pieces. I feel so inferior! It's about... 90 or 95 percent up-to-date.

I don't have a lot of collectible minifigs (they count each bag as a set).

Rootbeer

Banned
I thought approaching 200 sets was pretty hardcore for me, but nearly 700 sets in that short of time? You guys gotta start showing off what you are doing with all these bricks, you must have rooms full :p

I know brick organization has been a frequent topic but it's still something I'm struggling with, not to mention finding room for all the various builds I have either finished or in production.

Moving to a bigger place sometime in 2014. It's getting pretty cramped where I am now. All these LEGO don't help! Put them in storage? HECK NO!

neonglow

I thought approaching 200 sets was pretty hardcore for me, but nearly 700 sets in that short of time? You guys gotta start showing off what you are doing with all these bricks, you must have rooms full :p

I know brick organization has been a frequent topic but it's still something I'm struggling with, not to mention finding room for all the various builds I have either finished or in production.

Moving to a bigger place sometime in 2014. It's getting pretty cramped where I am now. All these LEGO don't help! Put them in storage? HECK NO!

I started storing a bunch of sets in the garage. Not every set is big though. 100+ of these sets are the CMF series and other polybags.

just an observation about the characters in the LEGO Movie:

I bet Benny might be Emmet in disguise due to their eyes/mouth being the same in terms of look as well as him not being in the space set... maybe to sneak past the super secret police or something.

also, after watching Jang's Lego Movie set reviews the Super Secret Police vehicles look suer slick and sexy!

Ryuuroden

Giant Construction Mech.

Oh god, those are awesome.

rallaren

Giant Construction Mech.

Looks awesome.

Unless they have lots of other big sets coming I don't see a reason why these would not be real. I don't mind getting my hands on them even if the movie doesn't have my interest currently.

If those movie sets are real, I see the Construction Mech and Benny's Spaceship being like $100-150 each. But judging by the size of that pirate ship, that one will probably be $250+.

And on a different note, I posted yesterday about finding old Prince of Persia and Alien Conquest stuff on clearance at Barnes and Noble. I forgot to mention that one of the stores had TONS of the smaller Cars 2 sets on clearance. There was a huge pile of them, usually Mater and Lightning McQueen vehicles. I didn't get any, so not sure on price. But still worth a look for people.

Now if only one store near me would clear out their Atlantis stuff.

cassidyarch

Neo Member
That spaceship is amazing! I love the escape pods on the wing tips.

My one fear about the Benny spaceman mini fig, is, it looks like the mold of the helmet features the broken chin piece. If you zoom in on him in the cockpit, you can see the helmet, it is thicker than the original spaceman helmet, and appears to be molded to look broken.

I don't need classic space helmets with busted chin straps, I have plenty of those...

jpatez34

Neo Member
Speaking of the LEGO Movie, just picked up 5 CMF's:

1x "Where Are My Pants?" Guy

8oxb.jpg

1x Scribbe-Face Bad Cop (My Fave So Far!)

d75u.jpg

1x Velma Staplebot

a9ph.jpg

2x Wiley Fusebot

xbs3.jpg

Giant Construction Mech.

*sigh* I need to stop collecting LEGO. I always end up wanting too many sets, these included.

I have resorted to sticking pieces together which saves a huge amount of space. I did not want to do that for fear of long term effects to the studs and clutching. After some research, there is no noticeable change in the bricks based on numerous accounts.

I'll upload some new photos eventually as I have done a massive sorting and organizing effort since I moved.

Ryuuroden

My one fear about the Benny spaceman mini fig, is, it looks like the mold of the helmet features the broken chin piece. If you zoom in on him in the cockpit, you can see the helmet, it is thicker than the original spaceman helmet, and appears to be molded to look broken.

I don't need classic space helmets with busted chin straps, I have plenty of those...

That last sentence a nice just made me snort laughter if only cause its so true for anyone who grew up in the 80's

Your LEGO Movie pics have lit a fire on the LEGO internets Phon!

Saw them on Brickfan and a few Flickrs. Surprised they didn't leak out sooner since Target messed up and sold the sets early too.

Still haven't found the mini figs out in the wild though.

LEGO Movie sets appearing for pre-order on amazon now. Jan 1st ship date, like other retailers.

Here's one, Metalbeard! http://amzn.com/B00GSPFDTE Man I love how he looks.

All the LEGO Movie stuff is just so bonkers... drugs must have been involved.

I must have Metalbeard set. If only for the fact that he has a shark attached to his right arm.

Rootbeer

Banned
Saw them on Brickfan and a few Flickrs. Surprised they didn't leak out sooner since Target messed up and sold the sets early too.

Still haven't found the mini figs out in the wild though.

I must have Metalbeard set. If only for the fact that he has a shark attached to his right arm.
Yeah, I think I'm just going to order him now and have him shipped with some discounted stuff. I'm taking the train to the LEGO store on Jan 1st so it'll be less for me to carry back.

BTW, LEGO Store experts, I'm already VIP but I don't have a physical card. They can issue me one in the store?

I'm going to the one in Stoneridge mall. Anyone been to that location?

Just checked Eurobricks. Yeah, seems the pics I uploaded really did cause an uproar. :)

All over flickr as well and lots of links to them. Part of me is glad that I am not getting a lot of credit for it leaking, better to stay mostly anonymous.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to order him now and have him shipped with some discounted stuff. I'm taking the train to the LEGO store on Jan 1st so it'll be less for me to carry back.

BTW, LEGO Store experts, I'm already VIP but I don't have a physical card. They can issue me one in the store?

I used this to create my own barcode. Use the "Code 39" format.
I created all the different formats, and their barcode reader recognizes the Code 39 and one other format. I forget which one.

http://www.barcode-generator.org/

Thanks, I'll try putting one into my Google wallet.

So I guess the answer is 'no' they won't issue me a physical card in the store?

If you get a new account, yes they will. But to use your existing account, you have to wait for the card in the mail if you signed up online. Took a bit of time for mine to show up.

If you get a new account, yes they will. But to use your existing account, you have to wait for the card in the mail if you signed up online. Took a bit of time for mine to show up.

The cards they have in store have a preset code.

For me there was a mixup as I did one online and in the store so they did not match when the consolidated the accounts into one. They did not have a physical card in store too when they signed me up so maybe that's why there was an issue. They had to type the number in manually until I made my own barcode.

Rootbeer

Banned

I've been a member for about 18 months. Never received a card. What did I do wrong? o_O I receive the magazine just fine, and catalogs.

I wonder if they could transfer me to a new account? The card isn't that important but it would be cool to keep in my wallet.

mojiimbo

They can lookup your VIP account by email in about 10 seconds so it shouldn't be an issue. After they do this your VIP number will be printed on the receipt so you can just save that on your phone for even more convenience.

The cards are preprinted so they could make a new account and link/merge your old account but it's a little complicated and might not be worth the hassle/potential for complications.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the feedback. I feel armed with information for my trip now.

I do have one more thing that has me curious.

I've seen a lot of pics and videos of Pick A Brick walls. Some of the bricks seem VERY high up to where they probably can't be reached by most people. Are those just for show to make the wall look impressive? Or are there ladders or something (probably not, that could be a big liability) The answer is probably a lot more obvious than I'm figuring. Maybe they are just duplicate pools of what's already available on the lower portion.

Got the Empire State Building Architecture set so I'll post it along with the Space Needle and the Space Shuttle I have soon.

The itch to build again is baaacckkkkk....

neonglow

Thanks for the feedback. I feel armed with information for my trip now.

I do have one more thing that has me curious.

I've seen a lot of pics and videos of Pick A Brick walls. Some of the bricks seem VERY high up to where they probably can't be reached by most people. Are those just for show to make the wall look impressive? Or are there ladders or something (probably not, that could be a big liability) The answer is probably a lot more obvious than I'm figuring. Maybe they are just duplicate pools of what's already available on the lower portion.

The really high rows are just printed paper stuck behind the glass. It's easier to tell once you get to the wall.

rallaren

I have watched some reviews of the new technic cargo plane on yt. What I expected except that it includes power functions but it's not a flashback to space shuttle which i was sort of hoping for.

Ryuuroden

How often do they rotate the selection for pick a brick? I might head back in January a few days before I leave to home.

Its based on what they have on hand at the store. When slots sell out they put new stuff out or refill it based on what's in back. The manager will order new product based on what options they have on the order sheet they get from corporate and most stores will only get half of what they order if that. I don't know if store priority is based on sales or location but the managers I have all asked have told me its pretty much a crap shoot. It is worth asking if they have anything in back that's not on the wall, if they aren't busy they will often be willing to check in back for you. You should tell them what sort of things you are looking for.

Last thing is, you will see a lot of turnover on the wall the next three months and at times there might be low selection due to shortages.

Its based on what they have on hand at the store. When slots sell out they put new stuff out or refill it based on what's in back. The manager will order new product based on what options they have on the order sheet they get from corporate and most stores will only get half of what they order if that. I don't know if store priority is based on sales or location but the managers I have all asked have told me its pretty much a crap shoot. It is worth asking if they have anything in back that's not on the wall, if they aren't busy they will often be willing to check in back for you. You should tell them what sort of things you are looking for.

Last thing is, you will see a lot of turnover on the wall the next three months and at times there might be low selection due to shortages.

Thanks. I'll go again next week but if they don't have new stuff I'll ask if they have stuff in the back. The selection at my store seemed random mostly to be honest.

neonglow

That blue Classic Space themed ship must be real. I will buy it as soon as it comes out, no questions asked.

I'll definitely get it but will probably wait for a sale. A big giant spacecraft is what is missing from my collection. This should be bigger than the Galaxy Squad Bug Obliterator right?

I hope the pirate ship rivals the size of the Imperial Flagship. I wish I was active in LEGO during that time to get it. The biggest ship I have is the Queen Anne.

I'll definitely get it but will probably wait for a sale. A big giant spacecraft is what is missing from my collection. This should be bigger than the Galaxy Squad Bug Obliterator right?

I hope the pirate ship rivals the size of the Imperial Flagship. I wish I was active in LEGO during that time to get it. The biggest ship I have is the Queen Anne.
It will probably be a 10000 series set, so no sales is my guess. And this thing looks much bigger than Bug Obliterator. I am guessing $100-150 for it.

But that pirate ship looks giant. Wouldn't shock me if it is $250+

It will probably be a 10000 series set, so no sales is my guess. And this thing looks much bigger than Bug Obliterator. I am guessing $100-150 for it.

But that pirate ship looks giant. Wouldn't shock me if it is $250+

The pirate ship is huge, but I don't think the space ship is really that big. It's not very thick (much like the old space series), I agree it's probably be around 100-130 price point but I don't think it will be 10000 series.

Once you see the reviews and feel our unadulterated hype, you'll be buying that bad boy day one.

Top Bottom