• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego |OT|: Let’s build together.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ordered the DB5 off of Bond hype, though I don't really think it captures the smooth curves of the car very well. All the little gadgets should be fun though.

Woooo-dog at that Titanic set though. NINE THOUSAND pieces!!! I gotta think it will be a tedious build though. Priced to sell though.

Fuck, if only they did warships, imagine the Bismarck, Yamato, or even a sailing ship of the line like the Victory.

AUJaetv.jpg
I’m tempted by that Titanic. It is beautiful.

I'm having a real hard time justifying buying that Titanic.

Other than I WANT IT YESTERDAY, of course. That's an amazing kit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone got the Star Destroyer or Cantina? They are tempting but these massively expensive sets are hard to impulse buy. The SD would look nice next to my SSD though....

SirTerry-T

Saw the Fender Stratocaster set in town and thought that would make a great gift for a musician friend's birthday. Saw the price.....fucking hell.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
J jason10mm It has some of the best mini figs ever. But I have not built it. I have a place to display but time is always an issue. I actually started on the new Mario question block today.

I have several sets still to build.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I rebuilt my Black Seas Barracuda from 1989 over the weekend. Had many adventures with this ship as a kid and it is still in great shape. I have a few of my other old sets that I love that I need to rebuild.

What isn't in this picture is the rope rigging that I found and added about an hour after taking these pictures.

0ElDKng.jpg
bzMxMBJ.jpg
ZXPpR6x.jpg
TJJBR1F.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Built the DB5. It was a fun build, though some of the technic parts for things like the ejection seat are partially built early on but only finished late, so if you made a mistake it is VERY hard to rectify. Same thing happened to me with the new space shuttle. That standard isometric view isn't always the best for showing how the pieces go together and there is no way to function test before you build around it.

But is a fun car, even if it isn't as sleek as the real deal. The gadgets are nice and call back to Goldfinger. I wish it came with a stand and plaque like a Star Wars UCS or the Tumbler, maybe even a tuxedo Bond minifig or two.

Last edited:
I rebuilt my Black Seas Barracuda from 1989 over the weekend. Had many adventures with this ship as a kid and it is still in great shape. I have a few of my other old sets that I love that I need to rebuild.

What isn't in this picture is the rope rigging that I found and added about an hour after taking these pictures.

0ElDKng.jpg
bzMxMBJ.jpg
ZXPpR6x.jpg
TJJBR1F.jpg
Man, I loved that one! I'm afraid a lot of parts have been lost over the years though (I have no idea what happened to the sails, even the instructions are nowhere to be found - although for the latter I suspect the neighbour's kid stole it, thinking he could just build it by himself; and it's easy to find online at least), if not broken (I'm pretty sure none of the pieces where you "clip" the sails are intact).
This is the kit that taught me to take better care of my stuff...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Man, I loved that one! I'm afraid a lot of parts have been lost over the years though (I have no idea what happened to the sails, even the instructions are nowhere to be found - although for the latter I suspect the neighbour's kid stole it, thinking he could just build it by himself; and it's easy to find online at least), if not broken (I'm pretty sure none of the pieces where you "clip" the sails are intact).
This is the kit that taught me to take better care of my stuff...
It is a beautiful build, and I always took care of it, even if we were on a daring adventure or a battle. The ship has traveled with me for 31 years.

My wife asked if I was going to leave it here, I said "for now".

UjPheax.jpg

Last edited:

BigBeauford

Finished our Hogwarts castle that was separated by color (2nd hand). That was a grueling build. I bought Diagon Alley and we are working on that. Far more enjoyable with the bags, and I am finding build itself is much more enjoyable. So far, I'd recommend it over the castle.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a bunch of UCS star wars stuff that I broke down for a move. All loose in trash bags. Rebuilding them is gonna be a challenge :p

How do folks sell "used" lego? Include a picture of the finished product and the buyer just hopes for the best? I don't really have any intention of selling my big sets but I'm curious how easy it is since just a few key missing pieces can derail the build. Maybe folks know the specific unique shapes/colors and prints that MUST be in the sale for high dollar sets and require proof they are included?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have a bunch of UCS star wars stuff that I broke down for a move. All loose in trash bags. Rebuilding them is gonna be a challenge :p

How do folks sell "used" lego? Include a picture of the finished product and the buyer just hopes for the best? I don't really have any intention of selling my big sets but I'm curious how easy it is since just a few key missing pieces can derail the build. Maybe folks know the specific unique shapes/colors and prints that MUST be in the sale for high dollar sets and require proof they are included?
I have never bought a used set. But I would probably go to brick link or something in order to buy one.

Finished our Hogwarts castle that was separated by color (2nd hand). That was a grueling build. I bought Diagon Alley and we are working on that. Far more enjoyable with the bags, and I am finding build itself is much more enjoyable. So far, I'd recommend it over the castle.
We had to move in a hurry and took our hogwarts down in a bad way. I am dreading the time to put it back together.

I just purchased Diagon Alley for my wife’s Xmas gift. She has been wanting that since release

BigBeauford

We had to move in a hurry and took our hogwarts down in a bad way. I am dreading the time to put it back together.

I just purchased Diagon Alley for my wife’s Xmas gift. She has been wanting that since release

Damn, yeah I can't imagine you are going to enjoy putting that one back up. She is going to love Diagon Alley. The pieces are much more colorful than the castle, it is minifig scale so the details are more pronounced, and the pieces are larger so you feel like you are progressing more quickly. I really like how the castle looks and it is iconic, but I semi-regret dropping $300 on it when the Diagon Alley set is bringing me much more joy.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Ive sold used sets before. I recently sold an Architecture Trevi Fountain that I got my wife for christamas. She built it and liked it but didnt love it so rather than incorporating the peices with our insanely huge box of legos I just sold it.

Sets I sell I am sure all the pieces are there but I mention in the listing something like "adult built and owned, all pieces should be there but cant offer any guarantees. Built once then put away". Then send pics of the box etc. Used legos go for pretty good prices if the boxes are in good condition and you have the manual etc.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm a little too old for LEGO but I really want this set:

You can do some really creative stuff with it, pixel art and such. I loved my big bucket of different LEGO pieces in the early 90s. I never liked building sets from the manual so this new LEGO art project is right up my alley. I can't wait for my daughter to grow up so we can build stuff together.

Also, do we have any genetics experts on this forum that can help me understand how this family works?

21226_alt6.jpg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm a little too old for LEGO but I really want this set:

You can do some really creative stuff with it, pixel art and such. I loved my big bucket of different LEGO pieces in the early 90s. I never liked building sets from the manual so this new LEGO art project is right up my alley. I can't wait for my daughter to grow up so we can build stuff together.

Also, do we have any genetics experts on this forum that can help me understand how this family works?

21226_alt6.jpg
That is just a typical Dutch family.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ohhh, that AT-AT! I have one of the earlier (non-motorized) sets but I LOVE that machine and this is brutally tempting. Fuck that $800 price tag though, I guess the Star Destroyer sold well enough.

nksmxap.jpg

Pejo

No shit, GAF has a little bit of everything. I had no idea there was a Lego OT.

One of my coworkers recently told me that she and her husband are doing Legos again after like 20 years, so it got me interested. I used to love them as a kid but haven't touched a kit in many many years. Ended up deciding to start in the middle of the road of expense and piece count, and picked up the new Ecto 1 kit. I'm not a major huge fan of Ghostbusters or anything, but I liked the first two movies and the new one was enjoyable enough.

Anyways, the GF and I are working together on it for about an hour in the evenings. We usually do one "chapter" or numbered bag each night. She sorts out and hands me the pieces and I assemble and describe the pieces that I need next. It's been a nice little unwinding activity for us. I'm currently on bag like 6 of 12, and it's coming together nicely.

uotHpqT.jpg

I'm really impressed with the mechanical pieces like the gunner chair that pops out the side and rotates around. A lot of what I'm building doesn't make sense to me at the time I'm building it, but then I hit a major "OHHHHH" moment after it comes together. I'm really having a lot better of a time than I expected that I would.

Pejo

42100 is now in my Wish List:

So I've gone back through the thread and checked out some of the stuff you guys have built, (some great stuff btw), then I saw this.

I went down a Lego rabbit hole for the past 4 nights trying to find the instructions for this particular Johnny 5 rebuilt (MOC-68629) and am totally out of luck. I found a few others that weren't as good, in my opinion. It looks like the RJBrickBuilds guy tried to get this build legitimized through Lego so he had to stop selling his instructions. The Lego Ideas site said it got the 10k votes it needs to be considered by engineers at Lego (and probably secure the IP rights etc). That said, it's still not 100% that this will ever actually get made, and if it does, the engineers have to examine and redesign it a bit to make sure it meets their criteria, which could take until the end of next year.

Anyways, I typed all that to ask - do any of you guys have the MOC-68629 instructions?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
So I've gone back through the thread and checked out some of the stuff you guys have built, (some great stuff btw), then I saw this.

I went down a Lego rabbit hole for the past 4 nights trying to find the instructions for this particular Johnny 5 rebuilt (MOC-68629) and am totally out of luck. I found a few others that weren't as good, in my opinion. It looks like the RJBrickBuilds guy tried to get this build legitimized through Lego so he had to stop selling his instructions. The Lego Ideas site said it got the 10k votes it needs to be considered by engineers at Lego (and probably secure the IP rights etc). That said, it's still not 100% that this will ever actually get made, and if it does, the engineers have to examine and redesign it a bit to make sure it meets their criteria, which could take until the end of next year.

Anyways, I typed all that to ask - do any of you guys have the MOC-68629 instructions?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Futurama Squinting GIF

Not sure if you're just having a bit of fun at my expense or you didn't click the link.
I thought they were the instructions, because that is where the page pointed to and reddit pointed to. But then I clicked them and got the 404. You should ask the guy on Reddit that posted them to send them to you.

Not trying to give you a hard time. All business in the LEGO thread.

Pejo

I thought they were the instructions, because that is where the page pointed to and reddit pointed to. But then I clicked them and got the 404. You should ask the guy on Reddit that posted them to send them to you.

Not trying to give you a hard time. All business in the LEGO thread.
It's all good, I had a laugh. I must have hit that same exact page during my research at least 10 times. I'll probably do as you said and reach out to the guy directly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There are three lego sets I want to get more than any other. Titanic, Lego NES, and Disney Castle. I adore all 3 so damn much. The only one I am not sure where I could feasibly put/display is the Disney castle. Titanic can easily sit in my Living Room/Library and NES in my Office/Game Room. But Disney doesn't quite fit either location.

The NES is a great build. Making that scrolling screen, pixel by pixel, was a lot of work, obviously, but seeing it all come together is super nice.

I've also just received the Mario 64 ? Block earlier today, although it's technically a Christmas present so I won't be able to start on it for 2 weeks... this is going to be hard... :(

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The NES is a great build. Making that scrolling screen, pixel by pixel, was a lot of work, obviously, but seeing it all come together is super nice.

I've also just received the Mario 64 ? Block earlier today, although it's technically a Christmas present so I won't be able to start on it for 2 weeks... this is going to be hard... :(
That is a super fun build! Seeing how everything comes together and all the little easter eggs was so damn cool.

Quasicat

With work being what it has been this school year, I dedicated my break on finishing up the Sesame Street build.
5pT0zhU.jpg

What a fun one to do with so many Sesame Street references covering 40 years.
I love Cookie Monster’s room:
ypz5cze.jpg

Even Radar (Big Bird’s teddy bear) and the drawing of Mr Hooper.
pwuaBWa.jpg

Now I’m looking forward to the Apollo 11 Lunar Lander which will get here Friday and the Seinfeld set which will be here in early January.

Quasicat

I pushed to get Sesame Street finished before the Apollo 11 Lunar Lander shows up this evening, and my parents picked up the Luigi and Bowser ship set for me. I’m not a huge LEGO Mario fan, but they look good on display.
Mario and Luigi talk and interact with each other via Bluetooth and the ship has a condensed display setup…
qKK5eow.jpg

…and can also expand into a whole Mario level:
AYQlX1s.jpg

Quasicat

I love history and space and especially love when the two come together! I really geeked out on the Apollo 11 Lunar Module:
mUVxSzO.jpg

I love how the Ascent (upper) stage separates from the Descent (lower) stage.

L3SxNqj.jpg

The attention to detail on these LEGO sets is absolutely incredible! If you look at the last photo, you see the different fuel tank cylinders are even colored properly. The red tanks are for the main fuel and the white tanks are for the oxidizer since it had to bring its own nitrogen and oxygen in order to burn in the vacuum of space.
OwJ2buF.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm sure Kragel Kreations has been mentioned here, but everytime I think I like LEgo, one of this guys vids pops up in my IG and I realize that I am NOTHING compared to this guy. I can only hope he made meticulous plans and "building of" docs so he can sell an encyclopedic "Disney World" building plans set some day :p

Quasicat

I haven’t seen a closeup build Seinfeld on here yet. Here is a closeup of the cast in the living room:
djS4Iah.jpg

I also love the kitchen with the Monk’s Cafe and Superman references, plus George’s painting:
t62I3HP.jpg

Last edited:

Quasicat

LEGO-Ideas-The-Globe-main.jpg

$200 coming in February. Looks good.
I saw that and immediately realized I wanted it for my classroom, since I teach history and geography. The problem is, where I work it will probably walk out of my room brick by brick.
I could pick it up for my home set, but I only have room for 3 sets max on my shelf. I also was looking at the Winnie the Pooh set before they discontinue it this year.

x7ZRGrz.jpg

Why can’t I have an unlimited LEGO budget and build space? 😮‍💨

Top Bottom