• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltz

They had actually been recomened to me by SiegfriedFM in this thread a few weeks ago. Here's his post with a link to the specific item on bricklink. I bought like 12 of them to use for my current and future ships. Totally worth it.
I'll add that SillyEskimo recommended acrylic risers as an alternate solution, but I preferred the actual Lego pieces.

SillyEskimo's riser idea looks good and provides a solid base, but I also went the Lego brick route because I wanted more adjustability. I used 1x2x5 Trans pieces which look pretty good but the downside is that they aren't the most stable. I'll post some pics once my display is complete.

It's the cover art from Lego Star Wars-The Complete Saga.
The designer of the UCS Slave 1 was posting on Eurobricks and was hinting that there wouldn't be much prequel stuff from now on.

This makes sense because the prequels were not well received, not to mention a lot of the prequel sets have already had multiple versions released such as the Republic Gunship, AAT, and AT-AP.

I actually like a lot of the vehicles from the prequels, and it would have been cool to see different variants of some of them, like some custom Republic gunships I've seen.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm craving some LEGO Star Wars spaceships. I just remembered that you can buy them for like 50% off without the minifigures on Ebay, and since I don't care about minifigures at all, that's perfect for me. I found Kylo Ren's Shuttle for $70, the Imperial Assault Carrier for $55, the Resistance Troop Transporter for $39, and other great deals. Probably gonna order one or two later today.

Also made a trip to Walmart today to buy something since my Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion set I ordered from Amazon has taken over a week to even ship out and I need some LEGO. Miraculously, they still had one of the Blue Power Jet sets for $49! So I obviously picked that up. Gonna spend all day building all three builds of that set and watching political news. Very excited.

I regret paying full price for Rhino/Sandman Super Villain Team-up. I basically paid $10 per minifig because the build itself is garbage. Its this lines version of Hulk Smash Lab.

It has stickers up the wazoo too.

Brick built Rhino isn't bad at all. He's a nice size and very stable.

This is honestly why I just Bricklink the minifigs I want. Very very rarely do I build one of these sets and I really love it. There have been a handful but a handful amongst a sea of mediocrity.

3N16MA

Banned
I love all the JANG stuff I see, but actually try to avoid them. If I watch them, I will just want more sets.

I am actually trying to curb things some this year. I bought a ton of stuff last year, and am trying to be more focused this year. I think it was the sorting of so many sets into the collective and seeing the giant wall of backlog to open and sort that made me realize that the size of the collection is starting to get out of hand.

So basically, just UCS and Direct sets this year, and a few other sets through the year that look really nice. I think ransacking clearance sales just for parts is over now, as that is what made last year get so out of hand.

I am focusing on these:

UCS - Star Wars

Creator Expert - Modulars, Vehicles, Amusement park theme

The rest will be sets that catch my eye from various themes. Getting minifigs that interest me. The majority of my spending will be on Star Wars UCS and creator Expert.

Was looking for something to kill a little time this afternoon and liked the look of Rey's Speeder set for $20. These little ~200 piece sets are a great way to kill an hour or so!

RYazfMK.jpg

Bonus BB-8 from my X-Wing set!

Just_one

Any idea when the double rewards points will be available again on The Lego shop?? Or maybe triple:) really want to buy the detective office modular

Ponn

Banned
Anyone ordering anything at midnight or tomorrow? I may hold out till march for GB HQ and just order the new mixels, Valentine dog thing and some CMF's.

Checked out eBay and Bricklink but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions to look for decent deals on discontinued sets.

I just discovered the Snowspeeder from last year (75049) that's now discontinued and would love it for the $~35 it cost when it was new, but not sure I want to pay $50+ shipping for it. Any suggestions?

Ponn

Banned
What's out tomorrow that's new?

For Americas it looks like not much, still no new Ninjago or those missing Star Wars and microfighters. New Mixels, new CMF's, Friends and the free Nexo robin and mini fortrex.

Checked out eBay and Bricklink but I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions to look for decent deals on discontinued sets.

I just discovered the Snowspeeder from last year (75049) that's now discontinued and would love it for the $~35 it cost when it was new, but not sure I want to pay $50+ shipping for it. Any suggestions?

Once sets go OOP (or even look like they are) you are at the mercy of the after market and how popular a set will jack up in price. There's no trick except for checking local brick and mortar stores and see if you luck out and they still have a more recent set you are looking for on a shelf. If you don't mind a banged up box you could also keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse Deals for an OOP set that might be a little under aftermarket current prices.

Fishlake

I just built Beast Masters Chariot and the Chaos Catapult. My demon/lava monster army is taking shape nicely. I might find a way to add 2 very small wheels to the back of the chariot but I likes its overall look already. The clop sound from making the mouths open is very satisfying.

Jang's video on history of the brick was great. I hope he does more things like that.

It's also good to hear that double points will be in March hat is when I will finally get the Ninja-go Air Temple.

Jimbro72

Anyone ordering anything at midnight or tomorrow? I may hold out till march for GB HQ and just order the new mixels, Valentine dog thing and some CMF's.

I think I'll only be ordering the new series of mixels as well as a bunch of CMF's. With double VIP just a little over a month from now, I'll be holding off on any other purchase of sets that I'm willing to pay full retail for, which is basically other retail store and LEGO exclusives only.

Ryuuroden

Get the 200 dollar UCS Snowspeeder that will be coming out.

21128 Minecraft: The Village; $200; before August (D2C)

21305 LEGO Ideas Maze; 769 pieces; $70; April

That set is gonna be painful to buy especially since 90% of it will be basic blocks easily available. It better have tons of exclusive printed bricks and minifigs for that price.

Two posts in a row, literally outlining exactly what my zen time looks like. Cleaning the kitchen, cutting the grass / cleaning the pool & building LEGO by the instructions. "Refilling the well" is a great way of putting it.

I also enjoy sorting LEGO to put it into the collective. It's funny, because I rarely build my own stuff but I really enjoy the satisfaction of a completed sort.

I also enjoy sorting LEGO. I find it relaxing. Been doing some intense sorting the past few months of tons of LEGO sets I never built. Recently finished sorting sever plastic boxes of plates.

Sorting LEGO and this reminded me of a skyline or cityscape.

Went to Costco today and spent over $300. As we were walking back to the car, I was thinking about how much Lego I could buy if we forgo food and household necessities.

Jimbro72

lego site borked. one of the mixels already sold out, wow that was fast.

I noticed that, too, when I placed my order 20 minutes ago. How is that even possible to be sold out of one mixel minutes after it goes live? I still ordered the other 8, 22 CMF and the First Order Trooper set and got both the Jan and Feb freebies added to my order. That'll be my last S&H order until double VIP now.

ghostmind

Placed my February order, and got both the February and January Nexo Knights promos as well.

Took 3 attempts for the order to go though successfully... at least it worked at all, but seriously LEGO.

teeny

Bwahaha, this is fantastic! Lego Star Wars Bobbleheads. If only they bobbled.

Had a fairly relaxing weekend. Picked up the Spaceman from CMF15 which means I only need the Tribal Woman to complete the set! Also finished building the Mystery Mansion and the Doctor Who sets which means I just have Wall-E to complete before the Christmas "backlog" is done. I'll echo what people were saying earlier about "Zen Time". I find building Lego sets so relaxing. I think it has something to do with making progress and working towards finishing something which sometimes feels lacking with everything else in my life :p

valkyre

Guys a little help, I am not very happy as to how I have applied 1 lego sticker for Resistance trooper transport.

Is there a proper and ,most of all, safe way to move the sticker a bit to its correct position?

I dont know, can I simply heat it and slightly/carefully slide it a bit to allign it perfectly?

I dont want to damage it or to have some part of it peeling off.

Thanks.

teeny

When I've messed up stickers, I've just peeled very carefully and slowly from a corner. I wouldn't have thought heat would be a good idea.

Stickers are the bane of Lego sets, imo. I loved the Doctor Who set because of the lack of them! If a set can get by without them, I won't even bother to apply them.

Got a Uxar creature of Jungle and it came with the wrong head piece. I sent lego an e-mail about it.

As dumb as it sounds i was legit bumbed about it even though it was a bright trans green head when it was suppose to be a dark green head... >_<

JANG just created a whole new segment of the market. Let the kitbashing begin.

Creating a need to not only buy the stupid troop transporter for Phasma, and to buy the separate constraction, but to buy two of both to combine.

Are we sure he's not a Lego double agent?

valkyre

When I've messed up stickers, I've just peeled very carefully and slowly from a corner. I wouldn't have thought heat would be a good idea.

Stickers are the bane of Lego sets, imo. I loved the Doctor Who set because of the lack of them! If a set can get by without them, I won't even bother to apply them.

Problem is the sticker i want to rearrange a bit, is completely round and i dont want to mess it up.

I think now's a good a time as any to start posting in here. I started out with the Millennium Falcon a few years ago, from there on I caught the bug. Now my collection consists of that, the Tower of Orthanc, the Delorian, Ecto 1, the Death Star, Poe's X-Wing and the T-16 Skyhopper. I have literally no space for Lego but I just pulled the trigger on Slave 1. Until I find the space, I might have to justify this to the wife as 'an investment purchase'.

Osahi

I think now's a good a time as any to start posting in here. I started out with the Millennium Falcon a few years ago, from there on I caught the bug. Now my collection consists of that, the Tower of Orthanc, the Delorian, Ecto 1, the Death Star, Poe's X-Wing and the T-16 Skyhopper. I have literally no space for Lego but I just pulled the trigger on Slave 1. Until I find the space, I might have to justify this to the wife as 'an investment purchase'.

Seems like you allready crossed the treshold of doom. There is no way back now. The bricks will control your life.

WELCOME!

teeny

Problem is the sticker i want to rearrange a bit, is completely round and i dont want to mess it up.

Which sticker is it? Could you contact Lego customer service and ask for a new sheet and apply it to a new piece? I know they're pretty cool but I don't know if they would be that cool. Still, if you don't ask...

Seems like you allready crossed the treshold of doom. There is no way back now. The bricks will control your life.

WELCOME!

Thanks man, yeah I'm well beyond the point of redemption. I forgot to add I've got the recent Falcon from last year too :-(, but that'll remain in the box until my son starts taking an interest I guess.

It's no reason to purchase anything but I only bought Slave 1 as it looks like the Tumbler is properly out of rotation in the UK now and I wanted something of that scale.

teeny

I saw some in Canterbury's Fenwicks in the UK, but haven't seen them in the wild anywhere else. I picked up Trumpet Face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom