• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've taken over the latest issue of BLOCKS magazine :)

blocks.jpg

post-38447-everything-is-awesome-gif-lego-GdJw.gif

ghostmind

My thoughts on what was shown today, based on what I will probably pick up.

CITY
Volcano subtheme is disappointing. I might get the largest set, or I might just say "forget it" to the whole thing. I'm still hoping that there is a retailer exclusive set that is better than what they have shown so far.

Airport theme is pleasantly surprising. I've always had a soft spot for these sets, but I'm really liking the Airshow and VIP Service sets. The other sets aren't bad either, and I may end up picking up the entire subtheme.

The two most important sets, and these two I am encouraging EVERYONE to pick up are the Gas Station and Fun at the Park. These both look great, for different reasons, but more importantly I think it is important to send a message to LEGO that there is a market for these types of sets, and the best way to do that is to buy them.

Creator
Three amazing sets that I will be definitely be picking up. I can't choose whether I want the Lighthouse or the Camper more, but I love the brick-built animals, the features of the minifig-compatible camper (and that one of the alt builds looks to be a legit Creator house), the lighthouse being different enough from the previous one to still be awesome.

And I think the Treehouse set is pretty good too. Creator is king.

Marvel Super Heroes
The Web Warriors Bridge Battle isn't exactly what I was expecting, but it still looks incredible, and features three classic Spider-Man villains that I have wanted for a long time. The selection of Spider-People is a little baffling, and while I'll regret not getting Spider-Man 2099, Ben Reilly isn't a bad replacement. The inclusion of Ultimate U Spider-Woman is strange though, considering all of the other possibilities they had.

The Doc Ock Tentacle Trap set is the weakest of the three for me, but it still looks fun, and the mech looks very unique. Having the Vulture in this set sells it for me though.

I'm a huge fan of the Hobgoblin. His original storyline is when I first started reading Amazing Spider-Man, and the whole mystery of his identity fascinated a younger me. So the Ghost Rider Team-Up set is a no-brainer for me, just for Hobgoblin alone (who looks amazing, though his glider looks a bit strange). Getting a Ghost Rider minfig (with a flame skull that looks amazing) is icing on the cake.

Enjoyed a long Australia Day weekend where I finally got to build some Lego that I got over Christmas including the Detective's Office and the Parisian Restaurant.

haircuts.jpg

Jimbro72

My thoughts on what was shown today, based on what I will probably pick up.

CITY
Volcano subtheme is disappointing. I might get the largest set, or I might just say "forget it" to the whole thing. I'm still hoping that there is a retailer exclusive set that is better than what they have shown so far.

Airport theme is pleasantly surprising. I've always had a soft spot for these sets, but I'm really liking the Airshow and VIP Service sets. The other sets aren't bad either, and I may end up picking up the entire subtheme.

The two most important sets, and these two I am encouraging EVERYONE to pick up are the Gas Station and Fun at the Park. These both look great, for different reasons, but more importantly I think it is important to send a message to LEGO that there is a market for these types of sets, and the best way to do that is to buy them.

Creator
Three amazing sets that I will be definitely be picking up. I can't choose whether I want the Lighthouse or the Camper more, but I love the brick-built animals, the features of the minifig-compatible camper (and that one of the alt builds looks to be a legit Creator house), the lighthouse being different enough from the previous one to still be awesome.

And I think the Treehouse set is pretty good too. Creator is king.

Marvel Super Heroes
The Web Warriors Bridge Battle isn't exactly what I was expecting, but it still looks incredible, and features three classic Spider-Man villains that I have wanted for a long time. The selection of Spider-People is a little baffling, and while I'll regret not getting Spider-Man 2099, Ben Reilly isn't a bad replacement. The inclusion of Ultimate U Spider-Woman is strange though, considering all of the other possibilities they had.

The Doc Ock Tentacle Trap set is the weakest of the three for me, but it still looks fun, and the mech looks very unique. Having the Vulture in this set sells it for me though.

I'm a huge fan of the Hobgoblin. His original storyline is when I first started reading Amazing Spider-Man, and they whole mystery of his identity fascinated a younger me. So the Ghost Rider Team-Up set is a no-brainer for me, just for Hobgoblin alone (who looks amazing, though his glider looks a bit strange). Getting a Ghost Rider minfig (with a flame skull that looks amazing) is icing on the cake.

My feelings echo yours with regards to the City and Creator sets. All good stuff minus the volcano theme which was underwhelming and I may only get some if I can find them at 30% off or more. And even then, maybe not.

I don't collect the Marvel stuff, so an easy pass for me, but I'll replace it with the Technic stuff. I usually buy about 1, maybe 2, of the larger sets each year (I think I only own 7 sets from the past 3-4 yrs) but I'm very interested in 2, and maybe even 3 or all 4, of what got shown today.

Lots of interesting stuff, but nothing that REALLY grabs me. It's interesting to see how themes converge though. There's a hot dog van in Friends and a hot dog seller in CIty (and some stuff in Angry Birds). There's volcano stuff in Nexo and City, although it's weird in retrospect that Nexo isn't using the Ghost Rider head for anyone. In fact, now that we got a wheelchair I can see them doing Xavier at some point even if X-Men aren't used very often.

Still, making a big City set that's almost entirely a figure pack is pretty uncommon for Lego.

Across the themes, there's a ton of neat realistic builds too. The tractor in the Batman set, the taxi in Spider-Man, the camper van, the hot dog van, the limo, some of the planes...

Bigfoot

Enjoyed a long Australia Day weekend where I finally got to build some Lego that I got over Christmas including the Detective's Office and the Parisian Restaurant.

haircuts.jpg
I'm impressed that you were able to build two modulars in a weekend. I usually like to take my time building and always have something on in the background so it takes me a long time to build a set. I usually can only spare an hour or so a night and I guess I build Lego to relax more than anything. A modular would likely take me a couple of weeks to build.

haircuts.jpg

Sounds like a great way to send Australia Day. We had a barbie at a mate's place and watched How to Make a Murderer all night. I need to get myself some new Lego to build. The DO is a great modular and one of my favourites.

Next for me will be PR and Bank modulars and some of the Star Wars sets.

I'm impressed that you were able to build two modulars in a weekend. I usually like to take my time building and always have something on in the background so it takes me a long time to build a set. I usually can only spare an hour or so a night and I guess I build Lego to relax more than anything. A modular would likely take me a couple of weeks to build.

Two modulars in a day? HA! Did two Star Wars UCS sets in a day. Twas epic!

As for the reveals from today, it feels strange that the set that gets me tingling the most is a technic set. But man, that Bucket Wheel Excavator is so awesome looking.

Maengun1

Wow! So much today!

- That Spider-Man bridge set is easily one of my favorite superhero sets I've ever seen. Probably not an insta-buy for me, but something I'd grab on sale for sure.

- RV......amazing. Day 1.

- Park....nice! Fun little builds, FOURTEEN minifigs, a dog, a BABY? Wheelchair! I'm definitely picking this up to go with the Fairground Mixer and the Ferris Wheel, fill out the amusement park a little bit. Speaking of, looking like no new big set in that area this year? I suppose it doesn't matter because I still haven't actually bought the FW yet lol.

- Architecture Capitol Building....idk about this one. I have and love the White House, but this thing is SO BIG. That's gotta be around $150-200 right? The architecture sets have been really wonky for me size-wise lately. Like I was hyped beyond belief for the city skylines, but they're so small (particularly Venice, the one I wanted most, is soooo tiny). I would have rather had a 400-ish piece Capitol Building and then a 1000+ piece Venice :(

Hot dog suit comes with the Hot Dog Stand set!?! Frankly speaking, that set is a WIeNNER! Will be a great set to get for anyone that missed hot dog CMF. It also will work well with LEGO City theme. I'll pair it with the Fun at the Park set.

Hmmm. I wonder if it's such a great idea to put the hot dog suit on a Friends figure. The nose gets in the way, and if you force it, you might get the head stuck in there. I was going to try it but it seemed risky. Another possible slip of design control like in the Ninjago sets?

peely

Neo Member
I might have to get 2 of the park sets. I'm very happy to see the new hot dog in a vendor format. He'll go great in my city.

All the Super Hero sets look great. Last year's line was a bit touch and go IMO, and the few sets we started the year with had me a little concerned. It looks like Lego is doing some nice builds for the upcoming sets instead of just nice minifigs with a thrown in build.

I love all the airport stuff. I also have the perfect spot to display it as well, so maybe I'm dip my toes in that theme for the first time since this old treasure:

016.jpg

Man, I want a lot of sets this year. It certainly makes my decision to pass on the GB HQ more palatable seeing how much further I can stretch my dollar with sets I am more excited about.

I agree with you, I loved that Airport set and some of the aircraft sets look good. And the park, and the gas station :). Though I still lament that Lego don't include baseplates in the city line so you can't build up a layout like you could in the 80s/90s. Always thought it encouraged the picking up of plates and other sets if you could join them together, but I guess TLG's experience is different.

As with others, disappointed with the Volcano line, appears to be a poor copy/paste from the Arctic subtheme, which was great :)

Creator stuff is looking good, still got a couple of things to pick up from the year just gone too !

A new train this year and it'd be perfect, but I don't think that's happening !

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a piece count or price on the Porsche? Looks a little less 'technicy' than some cars have, so might be tempted if it looks good without the silly camo (cute move though)

Is there a piece count or price on the Porsche? Looks a little less 'technicy' than some cars have, so might be tempted if it looks good without the silly camo (cute move though)

I'm guessing $249 including licensing tax (just speculation - no inside knowledge), seems to be a larger set than other previous cars. Can't make up my mind if there will be power functions or not.

I love all the airport stuff. I also have the perfect spot to display it as well, so maybe I'm dip my toes in that theme for the first time since this old treasure:

The airport is one of the first things I rebuilt when I rediscovered LEGO a few years ago. I love that set.

I've taken over the latest issue of BLOCKS magazine :)

Congrats, that's awesome!

Ghost Rider set will be the new $20-30 Super Hero set that we all love. Bank on it.

Agreed. To be honest all of the Marvel sets look pretty solid.

To echo others, I love the lamp. I'm going to need to grab that TFA set-the new Finn & Kylo figs look great.

After taking a few more looks, I realize why people are not hot on the Volcano line of sets but as a former science lover who loved studying about volcanoes as a kid and dreamed of being a vulcanologist, I would have loved to have these sets as a kid so I'm gonna be weak and buy the entire line.

Now if only Lego would do a line of sets with tornado chasers...

Why aren't they using last year's new Spiderman paint job?

sh205.jpg

It's a shame that after finally updating the fig they've gone back to the same one they've been using for years.

Did they only release the update for the Sandman/Rhino set?

Rootbeer

Banned

sh205.jpg

It's a shame that after finally updating the fig they've gone back to the same one they've been using for years.

Yup my thoughts exactly! Was talking about it yesterday in our GAF toy chat. but I didn't want to post about it cause I'm sure people are sick of hearing me bitch about the boring job LEGO has done on Spidey minifig releases :p But hey at least we are getting that cool head varaint in the next wave in those racing sets.

I'm going to have to get that sandman set so that I have the red boot mold variant, since it looks like they may have abandoned the idea.

I'm going to have to get that sandman set so that I have the red boot mold variant, since it looks like they may have abandoned the idea.

That's one of the reasons I bought the set yesterday.

On another note I haven't seen the Red Skull set in stock since it first started showing up in early December. There's a crazy LEGO shortage these days.

Wanderer5

sh205.jpg

Wow that just weird. The version they using now does look odd without the red on the feet.

The new clearer Bionicle pics that have shown up make some sets look better n some worse. Besides Umarak and Ekimu the rest will probably get disassembled sooner by me than later for parts.

The new clearer Bionicle pics that have shown up make some sets look better n some worse. Besides Umarak and Ekimu the rest will probably get disassembled sooner by me than later for parts.

I honestly don't know why they went with nearly complete trans blue on ekimu. Seems like they didn't really have enough budget to give him new parts so they decided to just recolor a bunch in trans blue instead. At least for me the only one im going to get for sure is Umarak, but i might have to get Ekimu for that trans blue mask of creation. Or i could just brick link it i guess.

Any news/speculation on The Simpsons theme this year?

I think it's over. There were rumors of a possible Comic Book Shop set, but we would have heard something by now as the Simpsons stuff launches in April. Plus, there's no Simpsons CMF planned for this year to go with one. Since they refuse to do Moe's and the Power Plant, at least we got the two other most iconic locations from the series.

Since they're starting a Disney CMF line, I'd personally like to see them replace the $200 Simpsons sets with a yearly $200 Disneyland set. Magic Castle, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, etc. As popular as the Simpsons were/are I have a feeling that people will go absolutely nuts for Disney stuff, and age-wise it appeals to a much wider audience. Wall-E alone is practically impossible to keep on our shelves.

3N16MA

Banned
The Friends roller coaster is a nice set. Lumiere kind of looks freaky in that pic but the rest of the set looks good.

Do the Juniors sets only come with printed pieces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom