• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Power Functions 2.0 coming next year.

Very curious to see the remotes, how it affects trains, what the battery solutions will look like, and how small they can make everything.

Nice! I have this set, which is about the smallest RC car they made, but uses a special base:

51zNPNiKySL.jpg

bb396c01.jpg

Wish they'd make a power solution for something minifig-sized like the Speed Champions sets.

I just built a second balrog. The idea is to sell this one. While I put it together I figured out a few modifications which make it a bit more stable, even though it's still far from playable.

What's the best way to go about selling a custom? Obviously it needs to be shipped in mostly complete form, but I'm a bit wary about having to provide instructions and support in case something breaks off.

I'm planning to start my very first bricklink set, 3723 Lego Minifigure. I noticed that some of the pieces are at my local PAB wall. Ironically, I have never done that as well and was hoping that some of you may have some advice for me. Some of the pieces in the set are big, 2x8 and 2x10 bricks, and a whole lot of them at that. Is it more cost effective to use bricklink for the big pieces and PAB for the smaller pieces, 2x4 and smaller bricks? I feel like if PAB has 2x8 and/or 2x10 bricks, I won't be able to fit a lot of those into the large cups, making it less cost effective compared to bricklink. Any advice you guys can share is much appreciated. Thanks!

Ryuuroden

Maybe using your phone as a custom control panel for several motors/battery packs?

I would also love a cheaper rechargable battery pack. I haven't really gone into power functions since they will consume batteries like there's no tomorrow, but I'd like to have a setup with a permanently connected battery pack so I can just leave it on if I want.

I know that some 3rd party apps are in Beta right now for controlling up to like 8 motors or more with the phone so LEGO doing something like this would be a no brainer.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
I'm planning to start my very first bricklink set, 3723 Lego Minifigure. I noticed that some of the pieces are at my local PAB wall. Ironically, I have never done that as well and was hoping that some of you may have some advice for me. Some of the pieces in the set are big, 2x8 and 2x10 bricks, and a whole lot of them at that. Is it more cost effective to use bricklink for the big pieces and PAB for the smaller pieces, 2x4 and smaller bricks? I feel like if PAB has 2x8 and/or 2x10 bricks, I won't be able to fit a lot of those into the large cups, making it less cost effective compared to bricklink. Any advice you guys can share is much appreciated. Thanks!

There's a sweet spot, I think. You might want to Bricklink the bigger pieces, but 2x4's you can get 169 in there, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fED5J10hT10 That's not too bad (here in UK that's about 6-7p per piece)

And don't worry - my experience is that LEGO Store staff are pretty used to people standing and stacking bricks strategically :)

Like with any Bricklinked set, it's best to shop around/find the best mix.

Keep us updated about building 3723 Lego Minifigure - it's long been a set I'd like to make (perhaps for my kid's birthday) so would love to know what it's like to source all the bits!

Sorry, no advice but that's a really cool choice for a first bricklink set. Used sets are crazy expensive, but there aren't any rare pieces and most of it is bulk. I hope you post updates.

Oh God, I noticed on Friday that a local department store has the UCS Slave 1 in stock. I managed to resist the temptation to buy it there and then but the urge has came back. Strong.

Hey guys just got into LEGO again this year, with Star Wars (got Poe's X-Wing, Rey's Speeder, and First Order TIE Figher). Building is a blast and I love how I can just zone out for 3 hours and just put pieces together. I have a question though, why are minifigs valued so much? I feel like I'm missing something when I hear you guys buying unimpressive sets just for minifigs.

To me the building is the highlight of the experience; the minifigs are just a small piece of that and I could honestly be happy buying vehicle sets that don't have minifigs at all - they are just 3 or 4 pieces out of hundreds, after all.

Are people collecting them for display on raised platforms like amiibos?

It varies. There are people that don't care at all about mini fits and are only into LEGO for the construction aspect. Reason some buy sets only for minfigs is definitely the collecting aspect and it's just the most cost effective way for some. Most are into building too, just may not be into that particular set. Other pay a high price for minfig sometimes because it's the more cost effective way to get minfig.

Here's some reasons I think people get minfigs:
- Collect and display as you mentioned. No different than others that collect action figures or other collectibles.
- Collect and play. For adults, play typically means create scenes. I fall into that category. I also like to take photos (toy photography) and make comics with them. Instagram tends to have many photos with minfigs vs builds. Probably due to resolution and size of mobile phone screens.

Reasons for high value:
- Value of minifig depends on available supply. i.e. Spider-man comes in many different sets in all price ranges. I have dozens of Spider-Man minifig. Joker variant based on Dark Night movie is in very low supply.
- Another factor is price of sets minifig comes in. A minifig that only comes in a $100+ set is going to be more expensive to buy in aftermarket than one that comes in a $13 set.
- Rarity. If minifig came only in 1 set and never made again.
- Demand of course which is hard to predict. Deadpool is a perfect example. Came in $20 set. Demand wasn't through the roof as most of general public had no idea who that was. Now movie has driven demand for it much higher.

Ponn

Banned
Oh God, I noticed on Friday that a local department store has the UCS Slave 1 in stock. I managed to resist the temptation to buy it there and then but the urge has came back. Strong.

After Sandcrawler it will be the next set to go and i'm betting thats one that will probably skyrocket in the after market. I have mine sitting here in the box still but I heard its an awesome build. Plus Boba Fett.

enableenableenableenableenableenableenable

finally put the finishing touches on the Destiny's Bounty

it's beautiful

if you can find it, get it

I have it, not built yet, but you made me think about having to make a stand or get a premade one for it or something hmmm

Can you be bothered to post a pic or so of the finished thing with stand maybe? :p

iosefe

I have it, not built yet, but you made me think about having to make a stand or get a premade one for it or something hmmm

Can you be bothered to post a pic or so of the finished thing with stand maybe? :p

i'll have some in tonight

for the record, it's kidna a mishmas of parts to make, and needs a lot of refining

Fowler

It varies. There are people that don't care at all about mini fits and are only into LEGO for the construction aspect. Reason some buy sets only for minfigs is definitely the collecting aspect and it's just the most cost effective way for some. Most are into building too, just may not be into that particular set. Other pay a high price for minfig sometimes because it's the more cost effective way to get minfig.

Here's some reasons I think people get minfigs:
- Collect and display as you mentioned. No different than others that collect action figures or other collectibles.
- Collect and play. For adults, play typically means create scenes. I fall into that category. I also like to take photos (toy photography) and make comics with them. Instagram tends to have many photos with minfigs vs builds. Probably due to resolution and size of mobile phone screens.

I like to create scenes. I like the building experience, sure. That's important to me. But lining up a bunch of LEGO sets without minifigs feels weirdly sterile to me; like building those painted plastic models that some people are into. I'm not against that if you like that sort of thing! I just feel like minifigs add a lot of life (and potentially humour) to LEGO.

I like to create scenes. I like the building experience, sure. That's important to me. But lining up a bunch of LEGO sets without minifigs feels weirdly sterile to me; like building those painted plastic models that some people are into. I'm not against that if you like that sort of thing! I just feel like minifigs add a lot of life (and potentially humour) to LEGO.

I think that the Lego Movie really encouraged making wacky stuff. Before that, I did have my Helm's Deep filled with all kinds of random figures, but I didn't do the "city with all kinds of other things happening" until after that.

The topic of Lego came up when I discussed the sale with some friends at work (some of whch went to buy stuff for their kids). They thought I would be terrified if some kids started messing around with my stuff. No way - I would welcome it (as long as we're not talking destroying parts). My Captain America is still doing work as a hood ornament for the Palace Cinema limo because a friend put it there, and I can't think of a better place for him :D

There's a sweet spot, I think. You might want to Bricklink the bigger pieces, but 2x4's you can get 169 in there, apparently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fED5J10hT10 That's not too bad (here in UK that's about 6-7p per piece)

And don't worry - my experience is that LEGO Store staff are pretty used to people standing and stacking bricks strategically :)

Like with any Bricklinked set, it's best to shop around/find the best mix.

Keep us updated about building 3723 Lego Minifigure - it's long been a set I'd like to make (perhaps for my kid's birthday) so would love to know what it's like to source all the bits!

Thanks for the YouTube video. That's very helpful!

Sorry, no advice but that's a really cool choice for a first bricklink set. Used sets are crazy expensive, but there aren't any rare pieces and most of it is bulk. I hope you post updates.

That's one of the reasons why I chose 3723. Mainly just basic bricks but a whole lot of them. The other reason is because I have one of those 19" display minifigures that looks almost like 3723 but with a white hat. I'm going to build it with a white hat to match.

I decided to look at my loose pieces inventory before hitting bricklink and PAB and lucky me! I found a bin of bulk basic bricks that I bought years ago that I had yet to sort. That's going to take a nice chunk out of the pieces that I need to buy. Feeling great right now!

This is going to be a slow going process as I have two young kids but I'll try to post updates when I can.

iosefe

i build other peoples stuff, right now my G2 2015 Toa are in DrScorpionX's Bioformer combos. still waiting on the giant combiner video. the G2 are on open display and i will probaly do some mixing and matching with them

Most of my system bricks are in a bin now for the sake of casual building, the only two sets i have built are the Destiny's Bounty and The Ghost from Rebels, and the Titanium dragon, but just the dragon.

i use the brick bin to encourage my neices and nephew into creative building. eventually, i hope they will gain a bigger interest

Koren

There's rally no rule...

I needed 1x8 in light bluish gray, it's really expensive because it's mostly in big or retired sets. At nearly half a dollar, I have no doubt it would be far less expensive on the Brick wall.

Now, I visit the lego stores with printed bricklink prices...

There's rally no rule...

I needed 1x8 in light bluish gray, it's really expensive because it's mostly in big or retired sets. At nearly half a dollar, I have no doubt it would be far less expensive on the Brick wall.

Now, I visit the lego stores with printed bricklink prices...

I saw 1x2 bricks in that color yesterday. It's rare to find 1x8 on the wall.

Ponn

Banned
I've resolved my internal conflict and after looking and moving my backlog pile to try and make room today i've decided to pull out of collecting. I've tried this before I know but it just doesn't make sense to continue with sets i'm having trouble putting together and mocing ideas that never come to fruitition. I'm going to get a couple last big sets then come back around for just the new modular and winter sets. Going to get Brick Bank for double vip, Batcave next month and then UCS Tie for May 4th and that will be good.

Koren

I saw 1x2 bricks in that color yesterday. It's rare to find 1x8 on the wall.
Yes, I know. I would buy a bunch of 1x8 in virtually any color if that was the case.

During my last visit, they had bright yellow 1x6 though, and plently of 1x4 (light bluish gray, dark bluish gray, red and white IIRC), still useful.

Ponn

Banned
There's a discount on May 4th?

I've yet to pick Slave 1, but have already other things to buy for double vip...

No, at least they haven't for awhile since the B-Wing fire sale. They usually have a Star Wars exclusive though that requires a Star Wars purchase.

ghostmind

I've resolved my internal conflict and after looking and moving my backlog pile to try and make room today i've decided to pull out of collecting. I've tried this before I know but it just doesn't make sense to continue with sets i'm having trouble putting together and mocing ideas that never come to fruitition. I'm going to get a couple last big sets then come back around for just the new modular and winter sets. Going to get Brick Bank for double vip, Batcave next month and then UCS Tie for May 4th and that will be good.

My solution had been to sell off sets I want to keep the least (including sets still sealed in box), to make way for new sets I want. I still need to do a lot of pruning, but at least it is becoming a little more manageable.

Until they find me buried in an avalanche of Star Wars sets someday.

Ponn

Banned
My solution had been to sell off sets I want to keep the least (including sets still sealed in box), to make way for new sets I want. I still need to do a lot of pruning, but at least it is becoming a little more manageable.

Until they find me buried in an avalanche of Star Wars sets someday.

Yea, but for me i'm looking at them and I bought what I have because I wanted them so to me it wouldn't make sense to sell them. I sold my galaxy squad sets when I had to awhile ago when I was in a pinch and I even regretted that and battled with rebuying them when I had the money. I guess for me it would be easier to pass on future sets than regretting selling something I wanted.

Maengun1

Stitch but no Lilo would be a bummer for me, love that movie. Especially since the rest of the list is entirely pairs other than Malificent (who I could do without).

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
First, I just finally put together my UCS Tie Fighter, wow what a great looking model and it's way bigger then I thought it was going to be.

As for the main topic: Do you think the Super Star Destroyer is worth $1000.00, I mean it's probably my favorite SW Vehicle / Ship, but wow the price tag seems a bit high and my guess is that it's just going to climb higher unless Lego does another run which seems highly unlikely.

Anyone out there have it and would you pay that much for it?

Rootbeer

Banned
So uh has nobody seen the Disney CMF leaks?
Where did you actually see them? And if you did see them, what makes you think the were fake?

IMO fakes are usually not that hard to tell... and for there to be a fake series of 18 figs that ALL look convincing is probably not likely

I can't wait to see them

Do you remember if Mickey and Minnie had mouse tail hip attachments? I hope they did.

TheFuzz

Favs are:

Genie
Aladdin
Ursula
Malificent
Syndrome

Mickey and Minnie are obviously good, too.

Crap, I'll end up getting a full set. On a related note, I grabbed Squirrel Wrangler, Farmer, Clumsy Guy, and Shark Guy from the new series this weekend. Love these. Definitely want a few more farmers and maybe another clumsy guy.

I actually like that they didn't do moulded heads for the humans, they literally look like Disney minifigs this way which IMO is more fitting and charming.

I was so worried they were gonna do Experiment 626 version of Stitch with his red space suit and extra arms (using the 4-armed Ninjago torso) but he looks absolutely perfect like this, better than I ever imagined.

I just don't know why they have everyone standing in pairs with single Malificent on the left, and then instead of mirroring that with single Stitch on the right, they paired him behind Ursula and stuck Ariel on the edge. I don't know if that's OCD or just being incredibly anal retentive but it seems like such a strange choice to me.

BRING ON SERIES 2 WITH GOOFY SCROOGE CHIP AND DALE PLEASE

TheFuzz

Wait, err... I mean, did we not see anything?

Should I rephrase my post to say those are what I hope are my favorites? Did somebody get got?

I'm locking my doors.

Ponn

Banned
LMAO, you all remind m of a three stooges skit with these edited posts. Lego has Ninjago knocking on peoples doors with threats apparently.

Most look nice, Mr. Incredible looks more like Dash to me though. I think they should have assumed multiple series and stuck with more complete characters per series then breaking them up like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom