• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

My brother in law has that original set and my son happened to buy the one on the right on the way to visit him a few months back. Looking at those next to each other... woof.

One interesting thing for the one on the right is that there's transparent half circles at the bottom to elevate it off the ground.

Also that picture is actually the 2014 one, the one I have from this year is the same build, but the motors in the back have caps on them and stickers.

Falcon finally arrived. That's a heavy box.

Been bed ridden since last Tuesday. Got a stomachs virus that causes me to get myocarditis.

So I've been restricted to being sedentary. Though not that I've been physically able to do anything else.

Heart doc tmrw. Hopefully some promising outlook.

Might have extra time for Lego soon if I can feel a bit better.
Yikes. Get better, man.

OptimusBrix

Neo Member
Hello fellow builders, newcomer to these here parts...

Was into LEGO like just about everyone else in their childhood, but found myself again at it's power last year. Was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Brick Bank and if it's worth it.... thanks folks!

wetwired

Was into LEGO like just about everyone else in their childhood, but found myself again at it's power last year. Was wondering what everyone's opinion is on the Brick Bank and if it's worth it.... thanks folks!

Pretty much all of the Modulars are worth getting, except Market Street, the bastard child

First off, welcome! Second...

Pretty much all of the Modulars are worth getting, except Market Street, the bastard child
...this sums it up. Modulars are the easiest purchases each year. But I would recommend jumping on Palace Cinema asap before it goes away forever. Then go in release order: Parisian Restaurant, Detective Office, Brick Bank, Assembly Square.

Maddog

One interesting thing for the one on the right is that there's transparent half circles at the bottom to elevate it off the ground.

Also that picture is actually the 2014 one, the one I have from this year is the same build, but the motors in the back have caps on them and stickers.

2014 one has stickers too. They're just not applied in that picture.

DonShula

Made my trip to the store and got the Winter Village train and station. I also got the two $10 winter themed sets.

I’m not at all familiar with the power functions stuff. Do I really need all four items listed to get the train moving? I see an IR receiver and controller. Is there no way to just get the motor and battery and just... switch on the train motor?

Made my trip to the store and got the Winter Village train and station. I also got the two $10 winter themed sets.

I’m not at all familiar with the power functions stuff. Do I really need all four items listed to get the train moving? I see an IR receiver and controller. Is there no way to just get the motor and battery and just... switch on the train motor?
You could do that, but the train will be at max speed all the time then.

Taisaijin

Curious to hear thoughts on the train station, still on the fence..

As for adding RC PF on the WV train you’ll either need the IR receiver and control unit or the rechargeable battery box (which has a speed controller unlike the basic batt box). Otherwise you’ll be stuck with a train running full out and certain to derail.. unless you’re into that kind of disaster re-enactment.

DonShula

You could do that, but the train will be at max speed all the time then.

As for adding RC PF on the WV train you’ll either need the IR receiver and control unit or the rechargeable battery box (which has a speed controller unlike the basic batt box). Otherwise you’ll be stuck with a train running full out and certain to derail.. unless you’re into that kind of disaster re-enactment.

So default speed is ludicrous speed?

I’ll get the controllers - was more curious than anything else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Green Grocer is still one of my favorite looking modulars. I think I'm going to end up bricklinking or otherwise getting parts for a stripped down and alternate colored version.

Can probably save a fair amount by leaving out all the interior details. My modulars are pretty much just for display and on a high shelf, so you can't see the interior anyway. And going with a color other than sand green would make it a lot cheaper.

Undecided on colors and whether to use the slotted bricks the original used or masonry ones. Plenty of time to think about it, will be a long while before I do this. If I ever do.

Ponn

Banned

Yes indeed, mine was derailing every time it took a corner at top speed with presents and fig bodies flying everywhere. Though my cat had a paw in several derailments as well. Curse you Meowthra!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I was able to get my holiday train to work with the old powered-tracks train parts. So I had a nice control box, and no batteries to worry about.

I want to get the Train Station, but I have a perfectly sized table for a round holiday train track. I don't think I can ad any straight segments. And I don't know if I have more power tracks...

Green Grocer is still one of my favorite looking modulars. I think I'm going to end up bricklinking or otherwise getting parts for a stripped down and alternate colored version.

Can probably save a fair amount by leaving out all the interior details. My modulars are pretty much just for display and on a high shelf, so you can't see the interior anyway. And going with a color other than sand green would make it a lot cheaper.

Undecided on colors and whether to use the slotted bricks the original used or masonry ones. Plenty of time to think about it, will be a long while before I do this. If I ever do.

There are several masonry variants of Green Grocer that could work. You can also get other parts to cover the need for the 1x8 parts. With that, making one should be less expensive.

Vote for this on LEGO Ideas!
You didn't believe that did you?

33352573380_4f77f140ec_c.jpg

Ted by Moko, on Flickr

33608172351_f9c88efef8_c.jpg

Ted by Moko, on Flickr

wetwired

GG was my first modular and probably my favourite, it was the first with an interior and getting CC after it was a bit of a let down with the lack of interior detail.

Having said that, if you're doing it for display interior isn't required, I love colour swap outs too so go for it.

My Old Fishing Store arrived today in record time. I only ordered it this Tuesday. Usually orders will take 7-8 days.

Also got the VIP set, which makes me want to do a modular Lego store. What are the odds that the next modular would be one? They've made a ton of mini set stickers recently and they could find a reuse for that printed Cafe Corner box. I'd hate building one for myself and then having two within a few months.

Fowler

My Old Fishing Store arrived today in record time. I only ordered it this Tuesday. Usually orders will take 7-8 days.

Also got the VIP set, which makes me want to do a modular Lego store. What are the odds that the next modular would be one? They've made a ton of mini set stickers recently and they could find a reuse for that printed Cafe Corner box. I'd hate building one for myself and then having two within a few months.

Well, two LEGO stores would help brighten the police state that is LEGO City?

wetwired

Took me a while to get around to sorting through my crappy photos but here's a gallery of my Batcave pics, they're not great pics, I'll get better ones in a few months when I get a chance to put it back together and make some upgrades.

Here's the link

And here's me for scale (I'm 6-4)

Barnes and noble had a few angry birds sets marked 50% off, not bad

Saw a mom have a crushed ultimate batmobile in her stroller but I probably would've passed at $70 + tax, I'm cheap af 😎

Kid looked hyped to build it though

Koren

I don't think the interior details cost more than a couple euros except the curtains, the goblets for the barrier and maybe the cat. You can do an alt build for the goblets but you'll probably want curtains.

I did it in sand blue (and dark blue) with grooves, I love it like that, but I still struggle with those curtails :/

I don't think the interior details cost more than a couple euros except the curtains, the goblets for the barrier and maybe the cat. You can do an alt build for the goblets but you'll probably want curtains.

I did it in sand blue (and dark blue) with grooves, I love it like that, but I still struggle with those curtails :/

Those are some amazing curtains though ;)

ghostmind

70918 The Bat-Dune Buggy
Batman
Captain Boomerang

70919 The Justice League Anniversary Party
El Dorado
Green Arrow
Hawkgirl
Superman
Wonder Dog

70920 Egghead Mech Food Fight
Batman
Condiment King
Egghead

70921 Harley Quinn Cannonball Attack
Batgirl
Crazy Quilt
Gentleman Ghost
Harley Quinn

70922 The Joker Manor
Alfred Pennyworth
Barbara Gordon
Batman
Disco Batgirl
Disco Batman
Disco Robin
Disco The Joker
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
The Joker

70923 The Bat-Space Shuttle
Batman
Batman (Firestarter)
Batman (Space Suit)
Dick Grayson
Reggae Man

The LEGO Batman Movie Series 2
Black Canary
Clock King
Dr. Hugo Strange
General Zod
Jayna
Jor-El
Killer Moth
Zan
(more TBA)

70918 The Bat-Dune Buggy
Batman
Captain Boomerang

El Dorado
Green Arrow
Hawkgirl
Superman
Wonder Dog

Batman
Condiment King
Egghead

Batgirl
Crazy Quilt
Gentleman Ghost
Harley Quinn

70922 The Joker Manor
Alfred Pennyworth
Barbara Gordon
Batman
Disco Batgirl
Disco Batman
Disco Robin
Disco The Joker
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
The Joker

Batman
Batman (Firestarter)
Batman (Space Suit)
Dick Grayson
Reggae Man

Black Canary
Clock King
Dr. Hugo Strange
General Zod
Jayna
Jor-El
Killer Moth
Zan
(more TBA)
With these and the upcoming Lobo set etc I’m in heaven.

Weren't some sets revealed WAY in advance? I already forgot that we're getting a Lobo.

BTW, I did a Old Fishing Store marathon over a Billy Joel concert, a bunch of Game of Thrones behind the scenes and two Chris Rock shows so... most of the evening. It was pretty neat but also fairly simple. Like on the GB HQ, there's a ton of just putting tiles on SNOT parts.

I have to say that the interior is mostly wasted because you can't see inside and you can't get your fingers inside. It's also not too great that you just throw a bunch of loose crates in there at the end. The end result is also really, really detailed and inspires me to make a new pier in my city. While this will sit on the outside of Ninjago City, I will connect it to the road by building a pier that also has place to dock the Yellow Submarine and maybe the Elves ship as well.

Oh, and I already built it on a 48x48 blue baseplate so that it can have space for the piers too. It actually looks strange on the original tan baseplate. If Lego hadn't recently discontinued the blue baseplate, they would have gone with that.

Ponn

Banned
Took me a while to get around to sorting through my crappy photos but here's a gallery of my Batcave pics, they're not great pics, I'll get better ones in a few months when I get a chance to put it back together and make some upgrades.

Here's the link

Without your bare foot I can’t accurately ID you. That is glorious. I would want to see the retail box Lego would come up for that.

70918 The Bat-Dune Buggy
Batman
Captain Boomerang

El Dorado
Green Arrow
Hawkgirl
Superman
Wonder Dog

Batman
Condiment King
Egghead

Batgirl
Crazy Quilt
Gentleman Ghost
Harley Quinn

70922 The Joker Manor
Alfred Pennyworth
Barbara Gordon
Batman
Disco Batgirl
Disco Batman
Disco Robin
Disco The Joker
Harley Quinn
Nightwing
The Joker

Batman
Batman (Firestarter)
Batman (Space Suit)
Dick Grayson
Reggae Man

Black Canary
Clock King
Dr. Hugo Strange
General Zod
Jayna
Jor-El
Killer Moth
Zan
(more TBA)

Condiment King, Hawkgirl, Wonder Twins, gentleman Ghost, Hugo Strange *twitches*. Error error *passes out*

Koren

Those are some amazing curtains though ;)
The ones in GG? They aren't really original (I was using the same shape in the 90s, I found a custom house at my parents that still had those, though I don't remember if I found the idea somewhere) but they're nice.

Problem is, that color is really expensive, and I can't find a color affordable that I like.

Egghead Mech sounds fantastic, I really wanted Egghead to go with my Classic Batcave, and Condiment King is the cherry on top.

Space Shuttle sounds good too, just depends on how much it is. Reggae Man was pretty hilarious in the movie.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

Here's the link

I just showed this to my GF and she asked why I never build anything like that. Thanks man! :p

Seriously impressive though, definitely a masterpiece in both Lego Mocs and Batman fandom. Cant wait for more photos!

DonShula

You guys have me contemplating a retired modular with alternate color scheme. It’s only a matter of time now.

In other news, got a Jakku Quadjumper for $25. Will put it together once I finish OFS which I bought on 9/1...

Trying to hold off on putting together the Winter Village stuff until November. It’s too early to put together Christmas themed stuff. Right?

Oh, and my wife keeps lingering on the Ninjago City display at the LEGO Store. It’s happened three times now. I think she wants to buy it but would never admit it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm prepping to move and have to take down all my lego sets. Almost all star wars UCS sets. Had to break down the Death Star, SSD, sand crawler, and more. Damn, it takes almost as long as assembly!

Zan or Jayna better come with Gleek.

And a bucket of water.

And an eagle.

So happy with the list of super heroes in next DC wave, it could get better if CMFs contain Apache Chief, Samurai, and Black Vulcan. Wonder if LEGO will stay away from those for PC reasons. Definitely isn't licensing as they are doing El Dorado, Zan, and Jayna. Marvin and Wendy would be nice, but I can live without them.

They could always rename the characters and use the Ultimen names (as long as they have the Super Friends costume versions!)
http://dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimen

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Built the first part of cut down Green Grocer in Stud.io. Not sure what it bases prices on but it's nearly $100 which is kind of disappointing. Over 15 cents per piece for what's almost entirely basic bricks and such. At least they appear to be cheaper on bricklink.

Koren

Built the first part of cut down Green Grocer in Stud.io. Not sure what it bases prices on but it's nearly $100 which is kind of disappointing. Over 15 cents per piece for what's almost entirely basic bricks and such. At least they appear to be cheaper on bricklink.
Bricks are expensive, definitively more than 10 cents on average. But at least, they contribute to volume. Some GG large gray bricks are costly. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if first floor account for 40-45%of the cost...

Did you put the printed 1x4 tiles? What was the estimated price for those?

You guys have me contemplating a retired modular with alternate color scheme. It’s only a matter of time now.
It's great fun, and hunting the pieces can be a game by itself (if you enjoy minmaxing spreadsheets)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bricks are expensive, definitively more than 10 cents on average. But at least, they contribute to volume. Some GG large gray bricks are costly. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if first floor account for 40-45%of the cost...

Did you put the printed 1x4 tiles? What was the estimated price for those?

I cut out most of the long gray bricks, a couple were mandatory though. Uses primarily 1x4 and 1x6.

Printed tiles were $4 each. Just have blank ones on there right now.

Top Bottom