• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

News Cringe Lesbian staffer quits Rosie Duffield's office over the Labour MP's 'overtly transphobic' opinions

A lesbian who was the only LGBT+ person in the office of Rosie Duffield has quit the Labour MP’s team over her opinions on trans people.

The 49-year-old insisted it was not transphobic to say that “only women have a cervix” – despite widespread criticism from the LGBT+ community and allies for excluding trans men and some non-binary people – and called the backlash against her a “tedious Communist pile-on”.

She then spent 10 days liking and sharing anti-trans tweets, before finally making an apology in which she said: “I am, and always have been, completely supportive of trans rights. I have spent decades campaigning for equality and supporting LGBT+ rights.”

But PinkNews can reveal that a cis lesbian, who was Rosie Duffield’s only LGBT+ staff member, has resigned over the MP’s continued anti-trans statements – and hit back at Duffield’s claim to be a longtime LGBT+ ally.
Earlier this year, Labour leader Keir Starmer signed LGBT+ Labour’s list of pledges during his leadership campaign, which included committing to introducing a “fully independent complaints process” for instances of transphobia within the Labour party.

Despite this, the leadership have been silent on Duffield’s comments, while several other Labour MPs have publicly defended her, including Jess Phillips, Wes Streeting and Rachel Reeves. Labour’s shadow minister for women and equalities, Marsha de Cordova, also liked a tweet from the Archbishop of Canterbury backing Rosie Duffield.

Sophie says she used Labour’s internal complaints process to formally complain about Rosie Duffield’s comments on trans issues in the week following her 10 August meeting. Just as she is yet to hear back from her former boss about her resignation, Sophie is yet to hear back from the party about her complaint.

“The fact that Labour leadership has been virtually silent on this issue worries me greatly,” Sophie wrote in her resignation letter. “When an LGBT+ member of staff no longer feels able to work in a Labour office, it should ring an alarm bell.”
I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that “only women have a cervix” is a controversial.. nay, TRANSPHOBIC saying. Right up there with female penises.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
I thought phobias were involuntary conditions? Shouldn't she be seeking help for this person instead of condemning them?

Boswollocks

Apr 19, 2019
Mars
You know what's mental?

When someone says lesbian LGBTQ+. Without a picture, i can't tell if it's a man in a wig wanting poontang, or a woman who is just a lesbian.

I'm so confused nowadays

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mickaus

mickaus

Gold Member
May 30, 2019
You know what's mental?

When someone says lesbian LGBTQ+. Without a picture, i can't tell if it's a man in a wig wanting poontang, or a woman who is just a lesbian.

I'm so confused nowadays
They should just stick to LGB. Transsexuals are basically androgynous people anyway, just keep it simple.

Reactions: Boswollocks