• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known N64 games you loved back in the day

shadyspace said:
Dude, thank you. I've been trying to figure out the name of this fucking game for weeks.

EDIT: Actually, it was it's sequel I was thinking of.

BattleTanx_-_Global_Assault.jpg
BattleTanx Global Assault was brilliant, I adore that game but almost no one I know played it. It has some of the best coop even to this day.

krae_man

Totobeni said:
198014_85657_front.jpg

mrc16_640w.jpg
mrc19_640w.jpg

MRC, only 3 tracks ( also mirrored tracks) but it was the best racing game on the N64,nothing even dare to touch it,it mixed off road and sport vehicles on one track, it was Motorstorm before Motorstorm, it was so good.

This, X a million.

Oh and this thread needs some:
18p9q.jpg

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Moz La Punk said:
Um, we all had StarFox 64 copies that were unable to save.
I'll go out on a limb and say that your medals and stuff weren't gone the moment you turned the console off...

King Boo

all 3 bomberman games.
especially the 1st and 3rd one. i actually found the little story so amazing. i really liked the 4 main bad guys, and the white armored one. but the best thing about the game was the multiplayer.

i'm not fond of the 2d style, but this 3d kind was a lot of fun. even the dead players can come back and cause havoc as ghosts. and the stages "close in" on you to quicken the game if time is short, making it very chaotic. i wish they would make this kind of multiplayer mode again.

another game i liked...i forgot the name but it had the geico lizard. maybe it was called gecks or gex. anyway his stages are parodies on movie/television genres so it was pretty cool to play. or at least i think it was based on movies/tv....i don't remember anymore.

after scrolling up, it is gex 64.

elsk

Banned
clifftrapremover said:
BattleTanx Global Assault was brilliant, I adore that game but almost no one I know played it. It has some of the best coop even to this day.

Agreed. BattleTanx Global Assault was amazing, specially playing co-op/multiplayer.
A shame nobody is porting it to XBLA/PSN :(

Tawpgun

You know what I find weird. Back in those days I didn't follow any gaming news or anything. I just picked games I thought looked cool, and ending up snagging some of the best games for the N64.

elektrixx

Banned
Extreme-G-1.jpg

The music in the original Extreme-G was the best of the series and was totally better than Wipeout.

Tetrisphere.jpg

Now that I think of it, this game had the best music of any Tetris title as well!

Downhome

I loved every single one of the N64 THQ wrestling games, and to this day I still wish for one along those lines to be released. However, you are all ignoring the true answer to the best one of them all - Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (VPW2) from Japan!

vpw2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNaSCDImZhA

It also had an MMA mode before most people even watched MMA, which was pretty incredible as well complete with totally different gameplay.

It's still my favorite wrestling game.

Downhome said:
I loved every single one of the N64 THQ wrestling games, and to this day I still wish for one along those lines to be released. However, you are all ignoring the true answer to the best one of them all - Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (VPW2) from Japan!

vpw2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNaSCDImZhA

It also had an MMA mode before most people even watched MMA, which was pretty incredible as well complete with totally different gameplay.

It's still my favorite wrestling game.

This. Fucking this. I picked this game up in between the release of WM 2000 and No Mercy and it was amazing. Had some things that were even missing from No Mercy like MMA, Mask Editor and super specials that you can only use once per match. I have even spent hours renaming every character in English with their real name. What a gem this was. I wonder if this can get a release on the VC because there is no way we will see the old WWF games due to licenses. If Fire Pro got localized than so can VPW 2.

Frost_Ace

bodyHarvest.jpg

I know it's been already mentioned but this game is just AWESOME. Huge world to explore, tons of vehicles and weapons to kill those nasty aliens, awesome bosses, and the creepy soundtrack was just so good...too bad the graphics don't hold up very well (would kill for a remake).

EDIT: oh and superior pal boxart FTW.

fin

rdelaney said:
starcraft64.jpg

Starcraft is well known, but I don't know many people other than my brother and myself that would spend all afternoon playing splitscreen multiplayer starcraft on N64. I shudder to think about how it bad it would feel if I tried playing it nowadays, but I did not have high standards back then.

QFT My buddy and I were still playing this long after the n64 died. We'd switch between this and Halo CE coop.

Some more games:
shadowgate64.jpg

OgreBattle64-PersonofLordlyCalib-1.jpg

Emulators are your friend! A buddy and I recently played some Top Gear Rally, Wave Race, Excitebike and Blast Corps. Driving that dump truck was so hard!

Frost_Ace

How do Mischief makers and space station silicon valley hold up? I might track them down if they are really that good...(still have n64 plugged in at home)

Red UFO

Frost_Ace said:
How do Mischief makers and space station silicon valley hold up? I might track them down if they are really that good...(still have n64 plugged in at home)

I still play Mischief Makers every now and then (Have to play it on the N64, not on an emulator though, shake-shakin' feels weird on a 360 controller).

I still haven't played Space Station: Silicon Valley after all these years, even though I've always wanted to. Feels bad man.

Top Bottom