• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known N64 games you loved back in the day

DR3AM

Lesser known PS1 games you loved back in the day

We had a PS1 thread, lets do it with N64 games. I'll start

Beetle-adventure-racing518401-1-.jpg

forsaken-64.518245.jpg

cEobk.jpg

I loved Chopper Attack. Game was pretty damn awesome, imo.

Oh and Aerofighters Assault everybody seemed to hate but I was craving any kind of flight simulator for the N64

Fusebox

Banned
Beetle Adventure was pretty huge at the time among my friends, I didn't realise it was a 'lesser known' title.

May as well add 1080 then, loved that game.

apana

Mischief Makers and Ninja Goemon come to mind but they are now cult classics so they may not be the best examples. Gex was also fun but that was on the PS1 as well.

bridegur

Beetle Adventure Racing is still one of the best racers of all time. Shame licensing issues have kept it off of VC.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Beetle Adventure Racing is a game I still love. Holds up perfectly.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yeah, the most notable title is probably Rocket. The scope of the game was pretty incredible, the puzzles and platforming primarily revolved around a stand out physics engine, and the game handled open world platforming on a level well above its peers. Rather than explicitly showing you level goals the game uses a hint system that rewards clever players, and turns the collection of each ticket (the jiggy/star equivalent) into a puzzle.

Oh good, someone posted Space Station Silicon Valley before I was able to. I'd also like to echo the love for Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja 64 and Beetle Adventure Racing.

There are also a number of games I heard great things about, but was never able to find a copy of back when I had an N64, like Body Harvest and Goemon's Great Adventure. I guess they're too obscure to be put on VC.

Does Blast Corps count as lesser known? I mean, it's Rare, but it was always overshadowed by the rest of their lineup. I'll never understand why they haven't put out a new Blast Corps on XBLA. It seems like the perfect medium for a simple, leaderboard-supported score attack game. Who doesn't like destructible environments?

197954_27945_front.jpg

The game had some serious fucking issues, but it did some things really well. I never actually completed the game (didn't beat the last level), but I liked the stealth stages.

I thought the game did stealth well. I would have preferred if every stage was a stealth stage.

N4Us

BINMU.png

This game was such a blast. Too bad all the reviews of it were "omg f-zero x got delayed!!!", especially since both games are wildly different.

Lol, I hated the Snowboard Kids franchise, especially compared to 1080.

I disliked 1080 compared to Snowboard Kids.

Reticent Rhino said:
Oh good, someone posted Space Station Silicon Valley before I was able to. I'd also like to echo the love for Mischief Makers, Mystical Ninja 64 and Beetle Adventure Racing.

There are also a number of games I heard great things about, but was never able to find a copy of back when I had an N64, like Body Harvest and Goemon's Great Adventure. I guess they're too obscure to be put on VC.

Does Blast Corps count as lesser known? I mean, it's Rare, but it was always overshadowed by the rest of their lineup. I'll never understand why they haven't put out a new Blast Corps on XBLA. It seems like the perfect medium for a simple, leaderboard-supported score attack game. Who doesn't like destructible environments?

If I were you, I'd try to find Goemon's Great Adventure right now.

madmook

I have fuzzy but fond memories of something called Nightmare Creatures. Don't think I finished it for whatever reason.

198197_27972_front.jpg

wwm0nkey said:
another great game

mysticalninja0.jpg

Need to replay this some time.

Oh, it was this I was thinking of, not Goemon's Great Adventure. To the poster a few posts above, get this one! Great game. Probably the most "Japanese" game I've ever played :D

RedSwirl

ITT proof that the N64 didn't have shitty 3rd party support:

1zz2ro4.jpg

1z1xzqq.jpg

mw7i89.jpg

nvs4s0.jpg

1g38ef.jpg

These are the games you would only have played if you stayed a hardcore Nintendo fan during those years and didn't have a PlayStation to play Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and all them other RPGs.

SlipperySlope said:
197954_27945_front.jpg

The game had some serious fucking issues, but it did some things really well. I never actually completed the game (didn't beat the last level), but I liked the stealth stages.

I thought the game did stealth well. I would have preferred if every stage was a stealth stage.

Looking back, probably one of the shittiest games, but I loved it.

Lionheart1827 said:
cEobk.jpg

I loved Chopper Attack. Game was pretty damn awesome, imo.

Oh and Aerofighters Assault everybody seemed to hate but I was craving any kind of flight simulator for the N64

Holy shit you are the first other person I've found who actually played Chopper Attack!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RElc5nqbs0&feature=related

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
cosmicblizzard said:
Quest 64.
Yes, highly underrated. Amazing battle system and diverse leveling arcs.

I really hope you weren't being sarcastic.

Dance In My Blood said:
Yes, highly underrated. Amazing battle system and diverse leveling arcs.

I really hope you weren't being sarcastic.

It did have a good battle system. I liked the way it incorporated range.

Too bad the game was incomplete. Could have been improved in so many ways. Although I liked how the towns and dungeons and what not were fully rendered, not 2D backdrops like so many other RPG's of the era.

RedSwirl

On the subject, there are actually quite a few of these N64 hidden gems that I never got the chance to play and am wondering if they're still worth it.

Games like Bomberman 64 The Second Attack, Armorines, and Knife Edge.

BattleTanx.jpg

Lots of multiplayer with friends back in the day.

Doom_64_box.jpg

An incredibly refreshing take on the series, mostly ignored by the media and shunned by Doom fans. Some of the best atmosphere around.

Excitebike64cover.jpg

Not exactly lesser-know, but never-ever got the attention it deserves. This game is amazing, and I still play it from time-to-time.

I'm so glad I had a rich best friend growing up and was able to play pretty much all of the games in this thread. I didn't have the luxury of taking a chance on a game that looked like it could turn out to be pretty good, could only ever afford the essentials.

SabinFigaro said:

Dude, thank you. I've been trying to figure out the name of this fucking game for weeks.

EDIT: Actually, it was it's sequel I was thinking of.

BattleTanx_-_Global_Assault.jpg

iamcenok

Flying_Dragon_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

2 game modes. Realistic Tekken/virtua fighter type feel.
Chibi/Super deformed street fighter 2.5D with RPG/loot system. Win items, equip said items to help against certain opponents.

SO GOOD

Jackano

Yeah.

Beetlemania
because it exploits (a little) a concept I love in racing games: exploration, just like in some real competitions like Paris-Dakar, you need to find your path into the map, and not simply follow the road. Without this I usaually never touch a racing game other than Mario Kart. Nothe that, Pokémon Dash on DS was too a little into the same concept. I need more games like this.

Blast Corps
Not sure it is "not well known" but once again, very unique kind of game. Too bad it never get a sequel.

Snobow Kids
Mario Kart, by Atlus, with snowboard instead of karts. It is not Mario Kart but it is pretty fun, and have some nice ideas and fun moments, like at the end of the "lap", returning at the top of the course. Never played Snobow 2 or Snobow DS (i think there is one isn't it?) but Snobow 2 seemed to improve the formula a bit.
Typically I want a digital sequel here, on 3DS, could be fun with local multiplayer on the go but I'm not sure I will buy it other way.

Top Bottom