• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s talk about Saints Row.

Kagey K

Banned
Saints Row as far as I can tell, was a game that was trying to be like GTA, it with multiplayer, before GTA Online was a thing.

The game itself was fun and the online was better then I expected at the time. There was a bunch of fun to be had in it after killing guys and trying to hide and eat ”Freckle Bitchs” before you Died.

The story of 1 was basically a full parody of street gangs and everything else at the time and you were trying to take control of the streets from other gangs.

Then in 2
You decide to take a run at being the mayor
They changed the gameplay in 2 a bit and forced you to do side quest stuff in order to advance the story. Some was fun, like insurance fraud, where it’s basically Burnout Crash mode with you trying to injure your guy as best as you can. Some others were annoying. In the end it was still a decent game, but with more annoyances then it should have had.

3 came out and it was very similar, except they dialed back on some of the side mission stuff to complete the game and the story got more political
Now you don’t only run Stillwater you want to be president as well.

Then came 4
Basically during your time as President Aliens came and destroyed earth and now you are stuck in the Matrix.

With each game it gets more and more absurd, yet somehow the gameplay still works. The soundtracks are good, and they spend a long time building characters you get to know and like.

Is there room for another Saints Row in this day and age or is the series done?

There was Agents of Mayhem, that most people consider a spin-off, but I haven’t played it enough to know how true to the Row it is.

Can we see Violation make a new SR game or is the series better left in the past?

Kagey K

Banned
I really think 3 was peak Saints Row, but so far I’m digging 4 just because of all the games it apes.

I hope it pays off.

Eimran

I never played 1 and 2. I recently finished 4 and liked it. But 3 was my favorite undoubtly

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've had such a small interaction with the series. I think I booted 3 and it had bugs, so I never actually played it. Bought 4, Steam Controller API fucked the controls, got something working, enjoyed GTA with super powers, game crashed a couple times 5 hours later, and I said "I'm okay with that" and that was the game done for me.

It seems to have taken the fun route as opposed to GTA's AAA "+Living world, -Gameplay" route which I don't particularly enjoy.

GymWolf

I loved the first one to death, i had far more fun with that than gta4 and 5 combined, the second one was already a bit too much over the top for me, never bought the other 2 for the same reason.

Last edited:

Cracklox

I'd be down for more, but they'd have to find a way to dial up the insanity, and they went pretty far with that in 4. Loved how crazy it got. In some ways 4 might have been one of the better 'superhero' games of its era too. Also shout to an awesome character creator, some of the best musical queues in all of gaming, and the pisstakes on the mass effect style relationships.

For what its worth, it says this on the wiki too.

By August 2019, Volition is "deep in development" on a new installment in the Saints Row franchise.[38] At this time, it had 174 employees,[39] and has close to 200 as of February 2020.

I also feel a sudden need to give Agents of Mayhem a try. Pretty sure I've seen it around plenty for dirt cheap so might grab it next time I see it somewhere.

Rikkori

Only played the 3rd and loved it! Been meaning to try the other ones but never got around to it. Well, at least IV & Gat.

CramBokaj

Neo Member
I played all and TWO is my favorite, mainly just because of that British sounding voice actor they had for one of the player voices. I combined it with a full african dread guy character and those cutscenes were hilarious. ALSO that piece with the monster truck derby (?) and some of those plotpoints. GREAT!

THREE and FOUR are also great though. Never played ONE because it wasn't on PC as far as I remember :/. Did I miss out on something?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
3 is my fav by a long mile. 4 is fine too but not as good.
1 is amazing for it's junk. 2 is too junk

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
3 was the best one. It had a SoR rip off mission.

Amey

Waiting for them to release a fixed SR2 for modern processors. They found the lost PC version source code last October.

drganon

Didn't play the first one but though the second one was awesome. The third one was a slight downgrade, but still alot of fun. Didn't get that far in the fourth one, which was the last one I played.

NightHawk910

Neo Member
I played through Saint's Row 3 several times with friends, it's just so much fun. Didnt play 1 or 2.
SR4 was a bit too much for me.

I am ready for Saint's Row 5. Come on Volition, give us a teaser!

u4ea

2 and 3 were my thing. Everything after that was just too wacky.
I like semi realistic weapons and upgrading them. The same for cars. But in the latest installments, there was no reason for them to even be there anymore.

Birdo

Banned
2 and 3 were fun, but the series turned into the video game equivalent of those shitty spoof films with "Movie" in the title.

Had I played Saints Row 1 prior to playing 2 I would not have bothered with series at all.

Saint Row 1 was a damn mess to play. I finished the last mission by luck of a glitch. I then also proceeded to die from my car blowing up immediately after the loading screen back to the open world resulting in wasted effort as far as the money I got from the mission since it went straight to the hospital bill.

Didn't even bother with the epilogue. Instead I tore the game out of my console and demolished it. Never again.

Saints Row 2 is such a drastic improvement mechanically. Though if you want a good GTA like game that's still really unique go play Sleeping Dogs.

Last edited:

pr0cs

I liked 1&2, they had their share of jank but remember, at that time most open world games did not have physics engines attached to them yet, certainly not to the same level as SR.
SR had a ton of tech features that were firsts for that genre and for that alone it was a great title.
When it started to get wacky I tuned out, it just felt like it didn't have a purpose anymore, just a giant sandbox.

I sadly don't expect Volition will ever do a semi realistic SR again. If that's truly the case I would prefer them to reboot Red Faction Guerilla.

I cannot imagine how much cooler Guerrilla would be with so much more processing and memory.

Plus the GAF callout was legendary

Last edited:

Ravi_elite

Banned
You wont hear it from many people

However the first Saints Row had the funnest multiplayer ever.

Protect Tha Pimp
blinged out ride

Online gangs

Team gangsta brawl

Quick switching weapons like it was the wild west of the ghetto

When you kicked the body of another players dead body, their controller would litterally shake!!! The game was ghetto af

The player creation system was out of this world...people would make famous characters from movies such as The Joker, Ronald Mcdonald, batman...i even had my own george bush jr creation

There will always be a place for the original Saints Row multiplayer IMO
However in many others...they are haters who just want the game to be about sex and fart jokes...

Bring back pTp and BoR!!!! Bring back gangs!!!

Fox Mulder

Saints Row was just crazy open world fun at a time when GTA went up its own ass with their narrative and realism or whatever with GTA IV.

But now GTA V Online has gone crazy too just because it’s more fun and a way to sell online currency, making less room for a Saints Row today.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am not sure how 1 and 2 hold up today, but they were great iterations on the PS2 GTA formula. Saints Row 3 felt like a step back in so many ways and I did not like it. Saints Row 4 recycled a lot of shit from 3, including the dingy city, but it was a completely different game, and an excellent one, more like Crackdown.

Agents of Mayhem is a very underrated game. It's a really big open world game with excellent mechanics and a huge cast of characters. It deserved better. Considering the game can be had for basically nothing these days ($6 on Steam for example), I would recommend giving it a shot.

Kagey K

Banned
Ok I just legit laughed my ass off at this rescue mission in 4 that made fun of Splinter Cell/Metal Gear.

They summed up my feelings about stealth games perfectly.

I first played Saints Row 4 and that game was so much fun and I absolutely loved the total absurdity of the game. I would love to see a Saints Row 5 but at the same time I am not really sure how they could really beat the absolute insanity of Saints Row 4 and Gat out of Hell while still making the game feel like Saints Row

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Saints Row as far as I can tell, was a game that was trying to be like GTA, it with multiplayer, before GTA Online was a thing.

The game itself was fun and the online was better then I expected at the time. There was a bunch of fun to be had in it after killing guys and trying to hide and eat ”Freckle Bitchs” before you Died.

The story of 1 was basically a full parody of street gangs and everything else at the time and you were trying to take control of the streets from other gangs.

Then in 2
You decide to take a run at being the mayor
They changed the gameplay in 2 a bit and forced you to do side quest stuff in order to advance the story. Some was fun, like insurance fraud, where it’s basically Burnout Crash mode with you trying to injure your guy as best as you can. Some others were annoying. In the end it was still a decent game, but with more annoyances then it should have had.

3 came out and it was very similar, except they dialed back on some of the side mission stuff to complete the game and the story got more political
Now you don’t only run Stillwater you want to be president as well.

Then came 4
Basically during your time as President Aliens came and destroyed earth and now you are stuck in the Matrix.

With each game it gets more and more absurd, yet somehow the gameplay still works. The soundtracks are good, and they spend a long time building characters you get to know and like.

Is there room for another Saints Row in this day and age or is the series done?

There was Agents of Mayhem, that most people consider a spin-off, but I haven’t played it enough to know how true to the Row it is.

Can we see Violation make a new SR game or is the series better left in the past?
I thought I heard some rumblings of the next entry being worked on...I'm not 100% sure though.

Kupfer

Playing Saints Row II via Xbox360 System Link with a buddy was great. So absurd and stupid. We played this for weeks.
Tried to play SR3 years later, but it wasn't any fun no more. Probably because we moved on playing GTAIV and were blown away.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I may get hate for this, but I enjoy the wackiness of 3 and 4 much much more than the first two ones. They were decent GTA clones and similar to San Andreas, but with the later games, it felt more like they were doing their own thing.

Quantum253

I took a chance on Saints Row and I spent dozens of hours in that game. I haven't played the newer games, but 1 and 2 were very enjoyable and came at a perfect time for Xbox360.

JonSnowball

They confirmed a new Saints Row game in 2019. The most frequent reply to people on their Twitter account asking about it is that they've confirmed the game twice now and it's in development: https://twitter.com/SaintsRow/with_replies

There's also a small team (I believe two people) working with the Saints Row 2 PC source code to fix it including Volition community manager "IdolNinja", they've been making progress over the last couple of years but there's no announced date for release as of yet. It's intended to be a free update on Steam that'll appear as a separate Steam entry.

Saints Row 2 was my favourite in the franchise personally. Hopefully having a fixed PC version will provide a basis for a remaster similar to the Saints Row The Third Remaster.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Any game that let's me ride a dinosaur while said Dino sings the song of his people is deserving of a sequel.

There's also the great singalong parts.

As a kid growing up in the 80s, this one hit me and actually got me geeking out as an adult:

Also was a big fan of SR3 with Pierce and Boss singing What I got.

Saints Row always seems to knock it out of the park with the music tie in the missions, think it's time for SR5...but with less super powers, at least closer to 3 then what we got after that.

Doczu

How are the ports of part 3 and 4 for the PS4? Good enough? Haven't played since SR2 on the 3600, always wanted to try.

How are the ports of part 3 and 4 for the PS4? Good enough? Haven't played since SR2 on the 3600, always wanted to try.
Can't say about PS specifically but on the Xbox the ports are fine, apart from the hair in three. In the 360 version the hair looks fine but in the remastered version it looks like a solid piece of plastic. There's also a deep silver sale on the xbox at the moment, so maybe for PS as well? I think you can get both games plus gat out of hell for about £10.

maybe its rose colored glasses, but that first game was something special.

the unlockables and progression. The hitman missions. The pimp cane shotgun. the gold desert eagle. car customization. The whole phone numbers being out in the world thing.

i also played a lot of multiplayer in the original. I also remember when it was supposed to come to playstation. There was even a little kiosk for it in a gamestop i went to. With fake PS3 Saints Row cases.

small_law

I fell into the trap of thinking the first two games were GTA ripoffs, so I never gave them a chance. I didn't play the third game until it went free on PlayStation Plus right before the fourth game came out.

I love Saints Row 3, one of my favorite games of that generation. They knew they couldn't out-realism GTA, so they didn't bother. They made a solid fundamental game and filled it with dick and fart jokes. That insurance fraud mini game was priceless.

And I'll stick up for Saints Row 4. I won't get into anything too specific about it, but how can you hate on a game with a Mad Decent radio station. Literally, they named it after the label. No clever fictitious radio name bs. That game was great.

Top Bottom