• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

Rather than having endless arguments over this in every thread tangentially related to Monster Hunter, and having mods step in to shut them down, I was hoping that we would be able to calmly and maturely discuss the old Monster Hunter 4chan rumors that have been dominating the conversation.

A few hours before the original announcement of Monster Hunter XX on 3DS, this was posted on 4chan:

1477622794517.jpg

Note that there was no precedent for what a Monster Hunter X expansion might be called, so nailing the Cross-Cross name is what got the rumor attention in the first place. After the announcement, the same user (verified by tripcode) posted these follow ups:

Recently another bullet point on there came true, with Monster Hunter XX being "rushed" to Switch (you can debate whether they meant system or software launch) allegedly to prepare for a Monster Hunter Portable 5.

It's very important here to ACTUALLY READ what is said in the original posts because for all the console wars that have been fought over this rumor, there is really nothing for anyone to be upset about in here (except maybe those invested in Capcom having competent management but that ship has long sailed). As an aside, it does paint the picture of a Capcom that has no idea what the fuck it's doing, which is the part I find most convincing.

The main points that are relevant to gamers are that according to the rumor, Sony has paid for a console exclusive Monster Hunter 5 that changes up the traditional gameplay in some fairly dramatic ways; "streamlined" combat, QTEs, less gathering and prep, and an open world. Capcom allegedly signed on to this because they saw an opportunity for growth in the west via the PS4 userbase and presumably saw Japan as a market in decline. If true, PS4 owners can look forward to a pretty looking Monster Hunter with 5 in the title.

Now why should Switch owners not feel NTR'd? Because the same rumor also states that Capcom got cold feet when they realized that they were risking their reliable Japanese audience to chase western riches. They allegedly decided to hedge by supporting Switch as well, except with the Sony contract already signed, they couldn't call the game Monster Hunter 5. So if you believe the first PS4 part of the rumor, you must also believe that Monster Hunter Portable 5 is coming to Switch, by the main Monster Hunter team, iterating on the traditional gameplay.

Everyone in this scenario gets something. Monster Hunter 5 gets its fair chance to blow up in the west, and Monster Hunter Portable 5 will undoubtedly remain the juggernaut the series has always been on handhelds in Japan. The only reason anyone should be upset is if they don't understand the history of the series or if they feel the need to deprive other platform owners of games over some petty shit.

Is the rumor true? Impossible to say at this point, but considering previous Capcom statements juxtaposed against the full court press with Monster Hunter XX on Switch (including the first ever special edition Switch hardware) it seems convincing.

As a Switch owner, with Nintendo publishing Monster Hunter Stories overseas, adjusting the system specs at Capcom's request, and now collaborating to use Monster Hunter XX to push the system in Japan, I have no doubt that Monster Hunter has a future on the platform. No matter what they call the individual titles, PS4 getting a Monster Hunter will affect precisely nothing about the Switch's future or strength as a platform.

If the "westernized" Monster Hunter exists, I would expect it to be shown at E3. So let's wait and see what happens. And should the rumor come true in its entirety, I think the people flinging shit (on both side) over the whole affair will look silly when the dust has settled.

False because Sony is not desperate for Japan, they put their focus elsewhere.

Also, Sony once got a MH game announced by Capcom, it was called Deep Down and is now god knows where.

Oregano

It could totally be true but there's several things that sound fishy about it.

Predicting a MHXX release for Switch is something half of GAF predicted so I'm not giving them points for that.

Toxi

Banned
The main points that are relevant to gamers are that according to the rumor, Sony has paid for a console exclusive Monster Hunter 5 that changes up the traditional gameplay in some fairly dramatic ways; "streamlined" combat, QTEs, less gathering and prep, and an open world.
*vomit*

Though less gathering would be nice.

This rumour doesnt make sense for one reason imo:
Sony is desperate for Japan, so they pay up for a PS4 Monster Hunter... Tailored for West.

These two things are rather opposite.

If this is real, it'll be interesting to see two MH games announced at E3 within 24 hours (the PS4 game and XX for western release on Switch).

The title, OP. You're asking too much of GAF.

It could totally be true but there's several things that sound fishy about it.

Predicting a MHXX release for Switch is something half of GAF predicted so I'm not giving them points for that.

It wasn't the prediction of the game itself, its the fact they got the name of it correct as well.

Oregano

Sony is desperate for Japan, so they pay up for a PS4 Monster Hunter... Tailored for West.

The other aspect is that Capcom is more risk averse and fiscally conservative than ever but this suggests they are now going to be developing two concurrent lines of HD Monster Hunters.

Honestly wouldn't mind an entry that shakes things up while the reliable standard form continues elsewhere, so really for me this sounds almost too convenient, well except the whole MH5 potentially being a hot mess part.

jnWake

IMO it makes no sense for Sony to pay so much for an exclusive at this point on the generation. They already get exclusives left and right just by default.

Neoxon

Yeah. I feel like that part in particular may be bullshit, even if MH5 does go to PS4.

Loris146

Does not make any sense.

Let see why :

1 : Sony is desperate for Japan
2 : They pay Capcom to have Monster Hunter ( one of the most famous IP in Japan) only on PS4 to regain ground in Japan
3 : Capcom changes Monster Hunter core ( japanese gamers love MH as it is right now) with QTEs , features removed etc to sell the game in the West

Does not compute really well unless they want the game to be successful in the west but then why Sony would be desperate for Japan if they want a big "western MH "?

DMONKUMA

I'm just hoping the combat isn't fucked if there really is a PS4/XB1 version, since very few compare to Monster Hunter in the same genre.

I don't want a Monster Hunter that's actually a Dragon's Dogma sequel give me the classics.

Eolz

Oh boy here we go again.

Sony is not interested in Japan anymore, and the SFV deal was for an esports focus (especially in the west). Capcom wouldn't have been interested in a deal for a mainline MonHun exclusive to an home console, even less if it was to alienate their core fanbase, and losing various benefits.

The rumor/"leak" was about XX Switch (which most people here predicted after what happened with 3U) at launch (which didn't happen). All the rest reads like your average fake leak you can see every week on /v/, just like all those pre Nintendo Direct ones.

The Capcom statement perfectly applies to the Switch, which is marketed as an home console by Nintendo, and can appeal to both handheld and console audiences.

Could Sony have moneyhatted an exclusive MonHun? Sure, why not. It's just extremely doubtful it'd be 5. Capcom is dumb, but not that much.

After E3, people will wait for TGS (where MH5 will surely be teased), and after its reveal, we'll get the same "it's a secret Nintendo deal ending in 3 years!" we got when the Vita didn't get anything outside of MH Frontier.

Honestly westernisation of MH sounds like a really dumb thing Capcom would push. I can believe it. PS4 push is probably the strongest route for a bigger western market. Actually guessing the MHXX title makes this somewhat credible. Capcom want to push MH in the west, and Sony has the biggest player base in the west.

Switch is the perfect home for MH in my opinion. It caters to the home console crowd that seem to prefer MH on a console in the west while letting Japan prefer their handheld. If they stick to main game on PS4 and portable/freedom on Switch I wouldn't mind, but I'd prefer a unified playerbase on one ecosystem.

Oregano

The title, OP. You're asking too much of GAF.

It wasn't the prediction of the game itself, its the fact they got the name of it correct as well.

Sure but it wouldn't be the first time someone knew one detail and made up a load of other stuff. The fact that they said MHXX would be a Switch launch game(which a lot of people predicted) and were wrong is a mark against it if anything.

PS4 exclusive doesnt make much sense to me. I know Capcom needs a 1th party crutch to get anything done these days but MonHun seems like the one sure fire hit they do have to not need that kind of fuckery.

But IMO MonHun is desperate need of a massive upgrade and obviously the old PSP based stuff they have been dragging out for a while wont do on Switch in the long term outside of 3DS ports.

If they are doing the work to modernize the franchise then sure. Do Switch + PS4 and cover all your bases. And it wont need to be 2 completely different games ala Dragon Quest 3DS and PS4. PS4 can have a bit more spit and polish but now seems like the time to go multiplat. And heck, might as well do PC aswell.

But Capcom is one of these pubs that be so illogical at times I wouldnt want to bet on a outcome.

Toxi

Banned
Guys, the prediction the OP is talking about isn't MHXX for the Switch, it's that the next Monster Hunter game would be called Monster Hunter XX, even though that doesn't fit the established naming scheme and many people thought Generations wasn't even getting a G-Rank game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
What's strange about the rumor is that zi don't understand why Sony would pay for a westernized Monster Hunter.

Who's the audience? Not Japan (changed gameplay, home console), not MH Western audience (changed gameplay).

A new Western audience? Does the monster Hunter brand even matter that much then??

It doesn't make sense for Sony and doesn't make sense for Capcom. It might be true, but it's a head scratcher. A switch and ps4 version of traditional mh would make more sense compared to the rumor...

Also QTEs? Ugh.

Boke1879

Some of this doesn't fit.

While I'm sure Sony would love to have Japan. It doesn't make sense to make a game tailored to the West.

Also why would Capcom and Sony be having strife over SFV.

Capcom have no one but themselves to blame for the state the game released in.

kadotsu

Banned
Why would Sony pump money into Capcom, a company that has proven this gen that they have serious issues with shipping GaaS titles? Furthermore, why would Capcom go for yet another dumb western shift?

Why would Sony pay big for a console release of a game that's only ever sold well on handheld.

Why would it be a watered down version for western consumption if Sony were hot for something to shore up their JP numbers.

None of this makes sense.

Sony wants to block devs from making games for other platforms. They love moneyhatting exclusives.

But they also don't care about Japan anymore, like at all. They are a Western company in all but name.

I think that the rumour is false, to be honest. But if it's true and Capcom weazels their way out of the deal, I must applaud them. Almost how Finland yolo'ed out of their deal with Nazi-Germany.

Seeing how SFV sold less than expected I can see Capcom regretting making MH4 exclusive on PS4.

There would definitely be a huge dropoff.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Everything described there for the PS4 version sounds horrible and completely deviates from what MH is as a franchise, might as well make a new IP, I'm praying all of that is false.

It's very interesting how salty people get at the thought that there might be a rumored MH for PS4

I would be down for both versions. It's not like we're rolling around in co-op action games tbh.

I believe it.
Capcom misread the market and they're trying to get a MH Portable 5th out soon after the console MH sounds about right.
With XX slated for March (Switch launch date) you'd think they would try and hurry it out for launch on Switch too. Instead they got a small group of guys to port MT Framework and get USFII on it 3 months or so late.
It seems like they had a change of heart pretty late into 2016 so they didn't have time to get much ready.
If they always planned on supporting Switch fully and making it the new home to one of their biggest titles you'd think they would try and help it grow and make a name early on like with 3DS but they didn't.

So I believe it:
XX Switch Version->MH5 PS4->MH Portable 5th

Twookie

sounds... OK to me? not sure if I like the streamlining being made on the alleged PS4 version but I will reserve judgement till when I see it. I like that they're making a traditional version for the switch for those who want it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is the first I've seen this and it doesn't make sense. I don't believe Sony is "desperate for Japan". They're doing well enough there, and Japan's a small market compared to other parts of the world.

I can see them trying to snag their own MH game, but it probably would be a spin off and not a mainline title.

WonderzL

Banned
Let me say something here: I got that Smash 4 pictures leak from a friend of mine like 2 days before it all got posted online. I am a friend of the original leaker. I could have used that and like

"oh DUCK HUNT is in smash" and then start saying lots of shit and people would eat it. Because I had one, ONE thing right.

is all i'm saying. this is bullshit

Boke1879

Cuningas de Häme;238288068 said:
Sony wants to block devs from making games for other platforms. They love moneyhatting exclusives.

But they also don't care about Japan anymore, like at all. They are a Western company in all but name.

Every company money hates exclusives.

watershed

Banned
I just don't buy leaks that are too specific in weird ways like "Nintendo was never brought in for negotiation" "some felt sour with Sony after SFV." These things just have a way of sounding made up.

gogogow

This is so funny. Not that it can't be true, esp. if the movie is coming, then I can see a console game being released tailored for the West. But if Sony are so desperate, maybe, just maybe they should have had that contract signed before they released the Vita. I still to this day can't believe Sony released a PSP successor without striking an exclusive MH deal with Capcom. The Vita needed it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the PS4. The PS4 is already getting all the (JP) support (bar a officially announced MH game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom