• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tingle

Nobody wins in this scenario, because if it's true:

They'd be repeating exactly what they attempted with DmC Devil May Cry. Completely alienating the original fanbase (who will play it anyway, as happened with DmC Devil May Cry) and either accept it as something different to the core series but still ultimately hold disdain for it due to the fact it potentially killed off the previous direction because of its success, or put the franchise on ice until they reboot it, because it failed to gather the new audience it needed while alienating the old audience. (Which DmC Devil May Cry did for that franchise)

Monster Hunter is way too big for Capcom to put it on ice, no matter how a theoretical experimental game would go. And it seems like the point of the Switch release would be to keep the series going down its normal path in the event the PS4 game flopped.

faridmon

False because Sony is not desperate for Japan, they put their focus elsewhere.

Also, Sony once got a MH game announced by Capcom, it was called Deep Down and is now god knows where.

Sony is not desparet for Japan, but losing the Japanese market to Nintendo would be a big blow considering they are Japanese and have major Japanese companies backing.

Sony is certainly trying to win Japan again and MH would help that immensely.

Taking a look at this again, the only bad thing about this rumour is that Capcom isn't being committed to MH5? I think most people expected Switch to be a successor of the 3DS more than the Wii U but with console games. A MH5 Portable that plays like past Monster Hunter doesn't seem like a big deal.

If Monster Hunter 5 does well than Capcom has two IP for Monster Hunter now.

Jawmuncher

If they're keeping Solid on the idea of offering something for West and East I think this is fine. The classic style will continue to remain, while something that could be a better easing in point for new fans is on offer.

It's been discussed for ages on the things MH would need to do to interest more westerners. Sadly the current game was never going to muster that unless there were massive changes. This way capcom can do those big changes while not hurting the Japanese audience.

What I don't understand is Sony's horse in this. To me it sounds like it's Sony who is the one taking the L, not Capcom.

Correct me if I'm wrong since I'm far from a MH expert but isn't paying for the mainline title ''pointless''? I thought all that mattered when it came to MH was the portability and local multiplayer. Portable series thrived on PSP without being ''mainline'' so it would just mean the japanece audience would just go to the portable series in droves like they used to. This doesn't sound like a good move at all to capture JP audience if they truly had to shell out cash.

Dinda

I don't know if i should believe it, i know however that i would greatly appreciate if they just leave Monster Hunter the way it is without changing everything and would instead make Dragon's Dogma 2 for PS4/PC.
A new Open World MH would probably end all hopes for that, and Dragon's Dogma 2 could if they just make the right adjustments to the formula be such a fantastic game.....

So, yeah it's probably true......
Also QTE's? Fuck that!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I'm referencing the rumour, which says they'd have QTE's in combat.

Is this why people on reddit write /s after everything? Jeez...

Anyway the rumor also states that Sony is forbidding the game to come to Switch only, and they don't care about it coming to PC and Xbox :lol Sounds fuckin legit.

This sounds so hilariously drama filled that I kinda want it to be real.

With that said, I think a Westernized MonHun would be a weird yet probable idea considering Capcom really seems to want a big hit in the West this gen. I don't really see it doing too well if true considering that a big part of what sets Monster Hunter apart is that it does what it does all on its own and a lot of copycat series don't really hit the same notes.

Taking away what makes it unique and streamlining it would probably change a big part of what makes MH. (Though honestly less gathering would be a plus no matter how you spin it.)

A MHPortable series on Switch would sell like crazy like the series always does though so at the very least fans would have nothing to worry about. Personally a MH5 like the rumor says would be a huge wait-and-see considering Capcom made Dragon's Dogma and that ended up kicking all kinds of ass. It could very well end up being good in the end. Well, if it's true that is.

DrkSage

As much as I like a monster hunter on PS4, reading that they want to change the game to appeal to the west makes me NOT want the game to come for PS4 at all... the west was a mistake

gogogow

Sony is not desparet for Japan, but losing the Japanese market to Nintendo would be a big blow considering they are Japanese and have major Japanese companies backing.

Sony is certainly trying to win Japan again and MH would help that immensely.

You know what the MH franchise would've helped? A device from Sony, called the Vita.

With 'streamlining' gameplay, maybe they mean they'll turn MH5 in a Dark Souls clone, because that series actually was successful in the west (and in Japan too).

Jawmuncher

Capcom just loves their QTEs.

Considering the shit QTEs have gotten lately, I doubt they'd go back to them.
I bet it just means stuff like canned animations. "Press X to rip of this piece of the monster" or something. Since people label stuff like that as QTEs

Dynheart

Banned
It just doesn't make any sense to me, particularly the contract that supposedly specifically forbids ONLY the switch from getting MH5

Like are we really supposed to believe Sony is SHOOK by Nintendo releasing a new handheld?

All of the other stuff a person can make heads or tails of, considering the nature of the source material. The contract part is what is making this rumor hard to swallow:

A competitor generally draws up a contract with certain stipulations, and in this case, keeping the MH IP from Nintendo. But why draw up a contract that specify's only the Switch, and only MH5? The contract feels like, from a competitors point of view, a waste of time. Capcom can simply make MH games for the 3DS and Switch, and if would affect nothing as far as a simple game title goes.

I cannot see the dealings going down like this:

Sony: I want to make MH5 exclusive for the PS4.

Capcom: Ok, but we can still make MH games for 3DS and Switch, just not call the MH5.

Sony: Deal!

I feel Sony's intent was to block Nintendo from getting, at the very least, MH5 (the IP in gneneral), which would have been huge as far as year 1 and year 2 momentum for console sales (a typical cutthroat tactic used). The contract seems like a contradiction at this point...AKA does not make sense.

gogogow

You can change that to "MH would help [insert device]". Nintendo's market value went up quite significantly just because a MHXX Switch port got announced.

In Japan. Sony were too arrogant or just plain dumb for not getting it on the Vita. Why would you release a PSP successor without the game that saved the PSP in Japan?

Zukkoyaki

While I wouldn't be surprised in any way if Monster Hunter showed up on PS4, I would be surprised if it were exclusive. The series became big as a mobile game so I would have to imagine it would be a PS4/Switch multiplat.

Shin

Banned
I'm more interested in some at Capcom being sour about SF5.
Wasn't it due to PlayStation that the game exists in the first place (funded)?
The rest of the mess and/or high priced DLC's, don't know who's calling the shots on that.

Jawmuncher

A westernized take on MonHun I still see happening at some point. Even if this rumors turns out to not be real. It just fits with the whole "Make MH a worldwide brand". You aren't making the games the way the are a world wide brand in the west sadly. Also curious if this lines up with the Paul W.S. Anderson movie deal. Could of been a case where he would know of such a thing so he decides to work on it. Since his relationship with capcom is a pretty good one. A new game and a new movie franchise lines right up with capcom's goal page from their last presentation. Plus the movie series would have the added benefit of perhaps being a worldwide draw, just in case things in the west don't take off. China alone made Resident Evil: The Final Chapter a success after all.

I'm more interested in, some at Capcom being sour about SF5.
Wasn't it due to PlayStation that the game exists in the first place (funded)?
The rest of the mess and/or high priced DLC's, don't know who's calling the shots on that.

No. The game was coming, it was just supposed to happen later. Sony only sped things up really.

In Japan. Sony were too arrogant or just plain dumb for not getting it on the Vita. Why would you release a PSP successor without the game that saved the PSP in Japan?
Well, I guess they thought they could make their own with Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars or whatever it is called.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All of the other stuff a person can make heads or tails of, considering the nature of the source material. The contract part is what is making this rumor hard to swallow:

A competitor generally draws up a contract with certain stipulations, and in this case, keeping the MH IP from Nintendo. But why draw up a contract that specify's only the Switch, and only MH5? The contract feels like, from a competitors point of view, a waste of time. Capcom can simply make MH games for the 3DS and Switch, and if would affect nothing as far as a simple game title goes.

I cannot see the dealings going down like this:

Sony: I want to make MH5 exclusive for the PS4.

Capcom: Ok, but we can still make MH games for 3DS and Switch, just not call the MH5.

Sony: Deal!

I feel Sony's intent was to block Nintendo from getting, at the very least, MH5, which would have been huge as far as year 1 and year 2 momentum for console sales. The contract seems like a contradiction at this point...AKA does not make sense.

It really is just insane to think Sony paid money for a third party exclusive and didn't word it to ensure there would be no other mh games on their competitors platforms within a certain time frame

essenn

Bringing Monster Hunter out of the Nintendo ghetto on to PS4, and some day maybe even PC would be amazing.

Nintendo ghetto
gtsdu0Y.png

One thing that stands out to me about the original post in October is that it does not call XX for Switch. It calls the XX name, MH5 for PS4, and MH Portable for Switch, without any word on XX being rushed for Switch until after it was announced. So I don't think we can say anything conclusive about credibility.

It's the rational play for Sony to go after MH as hard as they can, at the very least as a multiplatform release, as it isn't clear what's in it for Capcom to remain Nintendo-exclusive if they're locked into console-grade HD development anyway (much as it isn't clear what the incentive is for Atlus to keep Persona on Sony when Persona/SMT have been market-tested on Nintendo just like MH has been historically market-tested on Sony, apart from the obvious possibility of exclusive money-hats from the platform holders). But it does seem discordant, as others have said, that Sony would go after a JP-centric brand only to push it to the west instead of its core—and depending on how much cash was on the line, I don't see MH as being in the position of SFV, where Capcom seemed desperate for external support for the brand to go ahead at all. Obviously Sony wants MH on their system in some form, but what's in it for either party to absorb the additional risk of an exclusivity deal, much less one that reorients what the series stands for?

At the time that Sony and Capcom must have drawn up such a deal, how much intelligence on the NX would Sony even have been sitting on in order to see it as a home-console competitor and specify its exclusion in a contract?

(I'm not a Monster Hunter player, anyway, and I'm glad I don't have a dog in this fight.)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It was less that and more Capcom wanting to go where the money was. 3DS was guaranteed to sell big and provide a big platform for them to sell from. Plus Nintendo would pay for localization and marketing in the West. Even if Sony was willing to match the latter, they couldn't match the former.

Also, this rumor makes no sense at all.

One thing that stands out to me about the original post in October is that it does not call XX for Switch. It calls the XX name, MH5 for PS4, and MH Portable for Switch, without any word on XX being rushed for Switch until after it was announced. So I don't think we can say anything conclusive about credibility.

It's the rational play for Sony to go after MH as hard as they can, at the very least as a multiplatform release, as it isn't clear what's in it for Capcom to remain Nintendo-exclusive if they're locked into console-grade HD development anyway (much as it isn't clear what the incentive is for Atlus to keep Persona on Sony when Persona/SMT have been market-tested on Nintendo just like MH has been historically market-tested on Sony, apart from the obvious possibility of exclusive money-hats from the platform holders). But it does seem discordant, as others have said, that Sony would go after a JP-centric brand only to push it to the west instead of its core—and depending on how much cash was on the line, I don't see MH as being in the position of SFV, where Capcom seemed desperate for external support for the brand to go ahead at all. Obviously Sony wants MH on their system in some form, but what's in it for either party to absorb the additional risk of an exclusivity deal, much less one that reorients what the series stands for?

(I'm not a Monster Hunter player, anyway, and I'm glad I don't have a dog in this fight.)

Nintendo pays for localization and western marketing. They go multiplat and that support stops. Probably not worth it for them.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can the images be hosted elsewhere? Imageshack is atrocious on mobile and I can barely read the text.

I doubt this is going to be true, it just sounds super far fetched even for a desperate Sony. Why pay to water down a well known franchise that could ruin your Japanese interest who know what the franchise is suppose to be like for maybe the CoD casual crowd? It's not like Monster Hunter doesn't sell in the west, just not as much obviously.

sinonobu

Banned
Sony is desperate for Japanese market and makes a deal with Capcom to get exclusive MH.

Capcom decides to westernize MH5 for western market while keeping traditional MH on Switch.

LOL

Hattori

Banned
It's probable, but it sounds like a very bad proposition on Sony's part. They're basically buying the name but getting something else entirely.

Is it that far-fetched to believe that Sony simply wanted to ride the Monster Hunter name in Japan while at the same time Capcom wanted to take advantage of the PS4's Western success to expand the series, hence the new direction? I understand the contradiction some users are pointing out but maybe it was overlooked to secure this deal. If true, the people who made this deal clearly thought Sony's goal of increased Japanese sales and Capcom's goal of series expansion in the West could both be met in one game.

Let me say something here: I got that Smash 4 pictures leak from a friend of mine like 2 days before it all got posted online. I am a friend of the original leaker. I could have used that and like

"oh DUCK HUNT is in smash" and then start saying lots of shit and people would eat it. Because I had one, ONE thing right.

is all i'm saying. this is bullshit

This is a really good thing to remember for leaks in general. People may know one or two things and then make up 50 other things.

That's not to say it's definitely 100% bullshit, but at the very least the part about Sony being desperate for Japan so they make a westernized Monster Hunter sounds like raving fanboy nonsense.

gogogow

Well, I guess they thought they could make their own with Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars or whatever it is called.

There has been plenty of MH clones on the PSP alone and none of them came close to the sales of a MH game. Not sure why they think they can do it on a new device with zero userbase.

MH Frontier was below expectations for Capcom, Nintendo ones weren't. PS4 is cancerous to the series. Capcom won't make the mistake of putting it on PS4 again

Caronte

Sony is desperate about Japan so they pay Capcom for a westernized version of Monster Hunter not even made by the main MH team? I don't get it.

The part about Capcom blaming Sony for SFV seems kinda stupid to me too, even if it's true.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it that far-fetched to believe that Sony simply wanted to ride the Monster Hunter name in Japan while at the same time Capcom wanted to take advantage of the PS4's Western success to expand the series, hence the new direction? I understand the contradiction some users are pointing out but maybe it was overlooked to secure this deal. If true, the people who made this deal clearly thought Sony's goal of increased Japanese sales and Capcom's goal of series expansion in the West could both be met in one game.

Who would pay for localization? Capcom has a good deal with Nintendo on that right now, why toss that out the window?

gogogow

It was less that and more Capcom wanting to go where the money was. 3DS was guaranteed to sell big and provide a big platform for them to sell from. Plus Nintendo would pay for localization and marketing in the West. Even if Sony was willing to match the latter, they couldn't match the former.

Also, this rumor makes no sense at all.

Did Nintendo really pay for localization? I thought Nintendo helped Capcom publish and distribute it?

Anyway, the relationship with Sony in relation to MH probably soured after Sony were not willing to help Capcom bring MHP3rd to the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom