• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Address The Elephant In The Room. Switch OLED is ONLY $50 cheaper than a PS5

John Wick

I was expecting atleast some hardware improvement maybe not 4K Switch level leak rumor improvement but atleast some kind of specs bump but no all we got is a OLED screen.

How can such an outdated hardware of a console be priced anywhere near $350? It's so underpowered yet, it costs just $50 US Dollar less than a PS5 Digital Edition. The Switch OLED is now more expensive than the Xbox Series S is, which is underpowered on its own, but is still miles stronger than the new Nintendo Switch Oled.

They Nintendo is selling us 2012 hardware specs with no specs improvement from the regular Switch which is already overpriced itself for almost the exact same price as a Next Gen 10 TFlops system is being sold for.

That all i have to say End Rant.

Don't worry Nintendo fans love to pay more. They will buy it no problem. The Switch should be £160 max yet Nintendo charge £280 because they love to nickel and dime their customers.

tommib

Actually, if you really know Nintendo history then switch oled pricing is even less convincing to buy it.

In the past Nintendo handhelds were less powerful than their competition but their price was much lower. You could either get more powerful PSP for more money or get less powerful NDS but for less money.

I would like to play some Nintendo games again but their pricing is closely reaching next gen consoles offering with far better specs offering much better graphics better frame rate etc

So yeah, I would like to play mario or Zelda now and then but I’m not desperate enough.

It’s indeed it’s the only hardware where you can play Nintendo games but they get away with this ridiculous pricing only because they have no competition in handheld consoles.
They can price it as high as they want because they don’t have any competition. You can’t compare the Switch with past handhelds because it’s also a console you can connect to the TV. It’s a unique concept. If you want to play their new games get a Lite for 179.99 on Amazon.

$50 less than the crappy digital version, which will end up costing you way more in the long run since the sales aren't comparable on digital games. It's $150 less.

It's too expensive at $350, still. I don't use the thing in handheld mode though, so It's all a wasted expense for me.

Oh right, so that means this
anthem-mrx-1120-av-receiver.jpg

Should be a similar or the same price as this

61hHnM-ST0L._AC_SX679_.jpg
You obviously have not bought any high quality DAPs.

brian0057

Banned
Imagine thinking pricing is based solely on the cost of manufacturing and not on perceived value.
If that were the case, Sony and Microsoft would sell every machine they make at a profit.

Nintendo is charging $350 because the can. And the demand for the regular Swtich has yet to prove otherwise.
I'm not buying the device, but I also won't bitch about people who do or will do.

I can only control myself with what I do with my money.

Last edited:

JCK75

I want more horsepower, higher resolutions, real D-Pad and I want the SD card slot replaced with a 42MM M.2 SSD slot.

Greggy

Software and Hardware don't exist in a fucking vacuum. Holy shit... the price of hardware is directly connected to what experiences that hardware can run.

Why the fuck people buy iPhones? Because they're the only ones who run iOS. And they like iOS because it gives them a good experience and the apps they want. The cameras are basically the same nowadays, the inside is basically the same, but people still pay the Apple tax. It doesn't matter if the hardware is expensive or outdated, the experience of using it is what matters, and the price will reflect that. If Nintendo puts this hardware at this price, it's because only them can offer Mario, Zelda and Metroid. If you want to play them anywhere else, well, you can't. If Nintendo was competing on third parties (with some exclusives) with Sony and MS, they would be forced to put it in the same price range and compete in the same type of hardware, because the experiences they would have would be basically the same (that's why you have Xbox and PS on the same price range all the time, more or less). Nintendo doesn't do that, they tried and they failed.

The demand for the Switch is insane, why would they cut price? Why would they release the successor right now? Nintendo is a gaming focused company, they don't have the luxury of selling at a loss initially and them having other parts of the company recoup what was lost. They play it safe? Yeah, they do, but they can actually pull it out because people like Nintendo.

The market doesn't give a shit if you want a Pro or not. Now we have a cheap switch, a mid range one, and the most premium one... all running the same but with some distinctions between them. But the experiences are still exactly the same, and that's what sells it. Deal with it.
You can put the best software right now on a 2013 Nokia and it won't sell for anything close to the price of an Iphone 10, never mind 12X.
Also that mythology around the supremacy of Nintendo's software is starting to reach conspiracy proportions. What is that absolutely outerwordly experience that Nintendo's games provide? If I go to a store right now, I will find Luigi's mansion at almost twice the price of each of the last 2 GOTY winners, TLOU2 and Sekiro. I don't need to say anything else about their pricing, whether it's for soft or hardware.
Nintendo has been testing their customer's sanity for as long as they could and will continue to do so until they finally speak with their wallet like they did for the Game Cube and Wii U. It's as simple as that. When gamers stop being silly enough to pay the price of 2021 technology for 2013 technology + Oled, Nintendo will backtrack at the same second. They won't pull out the "Our software justifies any hardware price" argument that you're trying to make. Even nintendo's PR isn't that arrogant.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

You can put the best software right now on a 2013 Nokia and it won't sell for anything close to the price of an Iphone 10, never mind 12X.
Also that mythology around the supremacy of Nintendo's software is starting to reach conspiracy proportions. What is that absolutely outerwordly experience that Nintendo's games provide? If I go to a store right now, I will find Luigi's mansion at almost twice the price of each of the last 2 GOTY of the year, TLOU2 and Sekiro. I don't need to say anything else about their pricing, whether it's fir soft or hardware.
Nintendo has been testing their customer's sanity for as long as they could and will continue to do so until they finally speak with their wallet like they did for the Game Cube and Wii U. It's as simple as that. When gamers stop being silly enough to pay the price of 2021 technology for 2013 technology + Oled, Nintendo will backtrack at the same second. They won't pull out the "Our software justifies any hardware price" argument that you're trying to make. Even nintendo's PR isn't that arrogant.
Exactly! People spending that much money on video games, need to start treating themselves as CUSTOMERS not fans.

Faithless83

Banned
So cute seeing how the Nintendo fans are trying to justify the already overpriced switch.
How much do you think a 7'' OLED screen and nand storage costs anyway?

Not a single pricecut since release, right?

And then we have a metroid game looking like a small budget indie game.

"Nintendo can do no wrong".

Saber

Gold Member
Switch OLED gives you an updated screen and slightly more storage for $50 more. PS5 makes you pay an extra $100 for a disc drive.

Both PS5 versions launched at the same time, pretty sure its the case of being $100 cheaper because if it was only $50 no one would be tempting to buy the digital only version, so they have to give a good reason.

Switch on the other hand took ages to release this version. They have all this time to debate a price and choose an increased $50 for a OLED because they know people will buy it anyway.

Last edited:

JCK75

In about 10 years , Nintendo will bring you this 🤣

Yea I feel like most people are starting to get sick of their ish, like I've rebought games I've bought 20 times but I'm really done now doing that.. if I can't have digital games carry forward from this point on like I can with other platforms I'm just not going to give them any more of my money.

mortal

Gold Member
Count your gens bruh lol.

Some count it as 8 and some count it as 9
The switch is not a 9th gen console. Gen 9 is Series X & PS5

By that logic, PS4pro and Xbox One X are also 9th gen consoles
Nintendo are free to join them by releasing an actual, proper successor console.

I've read couple of years ago here on Neogaf someone saying that Nintendo consoles, despite their low performance, are always current-gen because they fight for the exact same customer as PS/XB consoles do, and I think that's the best view on the case ever since.
lol that is abolsute nonsesne. I love how people make different rules for Nintendo alotgther.

Iced Arcade

The switch is not a 9th gen console. Gen 9 is Series X & PS5

By that logic, PS4pro and Xbox One X are also 9th gen consoles
Nintendo are free to join them by releasing an actual, proper successor console.
What gen was the game cube? What came after that? Then that? Thennnnnn?

Bryank75

Banned
What is insane is how they got so much tech into a box for 400 dollars...... How?

I know I was guessing they would before launch but that was a load of optimism and usually it doesn't work out like that.

Fbh

Not more crazy than how Mario Kart 8, a 4 years old re-release of a 7 years old game, is still going for $60
Nintendo charges a premium for their stuff and they know they have an audience that will pay for it. They know their strength isn't in the teraflops and resolutions but the fact they have Mario, Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.

What is insane is how they got so much tech into a box for 400 dollars...... How?

I know I was guessing they would before launch but that was a load of optimism and usually it doesn't work out like that.

Probably selling nearly at cost or maybe even with a small loss in the hopes of making it up with software. Keep in mind that the $400 model being digital only means you can only buy games from the PSN store, so Sony is guaranteed to get a 30% cut of everything you buy (and obviously all of it with first party title).

Nintendo on the other hand always strikes me as being very profit focused. They won't cut the price if it means they no longer make a decent profit.
It's why I always doubted the Switch pro would be a big upgrade. It's not that the tech isn't there, but Nintendo won't cut their profits to offer as much power as possible for as low a price as possible. So a really strong Switch would be like $600 and that's too much for their target audience.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Pretty ballzy to not push. Reinforces that Nintendo has 0 belief that portable gaming can be substituted by streaming and poses any threat.
I'm starting to believe Nintendo feels they can't compete without gimmicks.
This announcement is making me lose hope for solid Nintendo hardware.

What annoys me is that they're switching one screen for the others, but it's like you're paying for both plus the "nintendo tax".
Makes me extra mad because I can see nintendo did this thing to extract the max amount of money they can from their worshipers before announcing the real successor to make they buy again.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo’s hardware is questionable their legacy when it’s all said and done will be their games.

scydrex

not but I remember this:
599USDollarspic1.jpg

Ironically no one wanted the system at that price.

Ok let´s see... PS1 & PS2 hardware chip for BC, hdmi (360 didn´t have), wifi (360 didn´t have), bluetooth 2.0 (360 didn´t have), media card reader CF Slot Type I, II, SD Slot Regular, Compact, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo (360 didn´t have), blu-ray player expensive back then (360 had a DVD player and back then a blu-ray player was more than US$1,000), 20gb HDD, expensive Cell CPU, Sony should have put a normal CPU in it for sure. PS3 was expensive because of all the things it had back then vs the competition or fat 360 the original one. Contrary the Switch Oled which it´s more expensive because of a display and internal memory improvement with minimal effort to justify the increase in price.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Ok let´s see... PS1 & PS2 hardware chip for BC, hdmi (360 didn´t have), wifi (360 didn´t have), media card reader (360 didn´t have), blu-ray player expensive back then (360 had a DVD player and back then a blu-ray player was more than US$1,000), 20gb HDD, expensive Cell CPU. Expensive because of all the things it had back then vs the Switch Oled more expensive because of a display and internal memory improvement with minimal effort to justify the increase in price.
...and still, no one wanted it compared to the 360 which was only about half in price. The system started going well as soon as they had the Slim which cut all the stuff not many people cared for.

Now point is, that the PS3 FAT was expensive to produce and was sold at a loss.
The PS3 FAT probably cost 700 to make, maybe even more. Selling it for 600 is consumer-friendly. Sony tested the water if they could sell a premium product at that price, and the market answered "no, you cannot". Nintendo usually doesn't sell hardware at a loss, they sell hardware at a profit.

graywolf323

Problem is the equivalent analogy would be selling an iPhone 8 for $750 in 2017, then another iPhone 8 in 2021 for $800 (instead of an iPhone 13 that's like 6-10x more powerful). Perhaps now you can see the issue. If computing price to performance ratios didn't improve over time, modern laptops or smartphones wouldn't exist. They'd cost Billions of dollars each if your price trajectory was based on the first 1970's PC's. I don't understand how so many people are ignorant to this fact, every single CPU/GPU unveil there's a peanut gallery gasping in disbelief when the new product is 50% faster part for the same price as their 2 year old part.
you can get the current iPhone SE (released in 2020) which is basically the iPhone 11 in an 8's body for only $50 more than the Switch OLED

honestly I think that's the better comparison (and still makes the new Switch look bad) than the PS5 digital

scydrex

...and still, no one wanted it compared to the 360 which was only about half in price. The system started going well as soon as they had the Slim which cut all the stuff not many people cared for.

The PS3 FAT probably cost 700 to make, maybe even more. Selling it for 600 is consumer-friendly. Sony tested the water if they could sell a premium product at that price, and the market answered "no, you cannot". Nintendo usually doesn't sell hardware at a loss, they sell hardware at a profit.

No one wanted it because it had no games and it was expensive. The 360 launched 1 year before and had more games available. The 360 was $200 cheaper ($400 vs $600). The PS3 was expensive because Sony wanted it to be a gaming media center not only gaming console. Which is what they did with the PS3 slim, they focus the PS3 for gaming which still had the expensive Cell CPU (bad decision for Sony) and the blu ray player push which was more expensive than a dvd player. Now PS5 and Xbox Series have a Blu ray player not a HD DVD crap.

Last edited:

Ribi

They don't care. The switch is a fucking tablet without tablet features for a high mark up. Nintendo sells old tech for new tech prices because fuck you they are Nintendo and will sue anyone who says anything bad about them.

ZywyPL

Banned

Initial PS3 cost about 830$ to make from what I remember. But it's problem was not the price alone, but the fact that there was a cheaper and better alternative (X360). Gen later the situation swaped, PS4 was the cheaper and better console then XB1.

But here's the thing - Nintendo doesn't gave this problem, at all. You want a handheld? There's none, you either get a Switch or nothing, they can do whatever they want, and as long as there won't be any real alternative people will willingly or unwillingly swallow it up, because of lack of any alternative,whereas with other platforms there's PS, there's XB, there's PC, laptops, GF Now, PS Now, Stadia, GP and so on, all those alternatives to get to play the exact same games, the exact same way.

But Switch? It's absolutely unique, if you want that kind of experience, you have to vo to Nintendo, no other way around it.

I'm sure it's been said already but Nintendo are not competing with the other big lads anymore - they just do their own thing and destroy the charts anyway. Better than 3 homogenous plastic boxes playing the exact same games imo.

I still would have bought a Switch Pro day one though if it was real.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Initial PS3 cost about 830$ to make from what I remember. But it's problem was not the price alone, but the fact that there was a cheaper and better alternative (X360). Gen later the situation swaped, PS4 was the cheaper and better console then XB1.

But here's the thing - Nintendo doesn't gave this problem, at all. You want a handheld? There's none, you either get a Switch or nothing, they can do whatever they want, and as long as there won't be any real alternative people will willingly or unwillingly swallow it up, because of lack of any alternative,whereas with other platforms there's PS, there's XB, there's PC, laptops, GF Now, PS Now, Stadia, GP and so on, all those alternatives to get to play the exact same games, the exact same way.

But Switch? It's absolutely unique, if you want that kind of experience, you have to vo to Nintendo, no other way around it.
While it's technically true, that Nintendo has no direct competition right now (Unless you count gaming on smartphones), there is a reason they are on top.
If someone decides to release a dedicated gaming handheld that annihilates the Switch in specs priced around 300 bucks it would do jank to Nintendo, because Nintendo also has the games and the prestige. As a matter of fact, handhelds like this already exist, but they are a small niche as they only really get used to playing emulated games and maybe COD mobile.

pr0cs

Why would Nintendo care? Their stuff has a captive audience that don't care about price and only care about Nintendo software, this device lets them play Nintendo software.
Personally I'm surprised they didn't charge even more for it.

Top Bottom