• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's appreciate: Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty

Blablurn

b9915d.jpg

Wikipedia said:
General Infos

The story revolves around a massive offshore clean-up facility that has been seized by a group of terrorists that call themselves "Sons of Liberty", backed by a rogue special forces anti-terrorist unit "Dead Cell". They demand a massive ransom in exchange for the life of the President of the United States, and threaten to destroy the facility and create a cataclysmic environmental disaster if their demands are not met. The motives and identities of many of the antagonists and allies change rapidly, as the protagonists discover a world-shaking conspiracy constructed by a powerful organization known as the Patriots.

The game was well-received, shipping over 7 million copies worldwide and scoring an average of 96% in Metacritic's aggregate, making it the third highest-rated game on the PlayStation 2 and the 14th highest-rated game of all time. While the gameplay was almost universally acclaimed, critics were divided on the philosophical nature and execution of the game's storyline, which explores themes such as memes, social engineering, political conspiracies, and artificial intelligence. It has been considered the first example of a postmodern video game, and has been cited as a primary example of artistic expression in video games. The game was controversial due to its complex postmodern narrative and unconventional protagonist.

rcpj52.jpg
1907kk.jpg

bzq1.jpg
e8tow2.jpg

av1r1z.jpg
vjs7d.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Production Notes

According to Hideo Kojima in the documentary Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1, the original plot of the game revolved around nuclear weapon inspections in Iraq and Iran and had Solid Snake trying to stop the Metal Gear while it was located on an aircraft carrier, in a certain time limit, while trying to stop Liquid Snake and his group. However, about six months into the project the political situation in the Middle East became a concern and they decided that they couldn't make a game with such a plot. The tanker in the released game is based on this original plot.

Significant changes to the game's ending were made late in development following the September 11 attacks in New York, where the finale occurs. A sequence depicting Arsenal Gear's displacement of the Statue of Liberty and crashing through half of Manhattan was removed, as was a short coda to appear after the credits, a breaking newscast showing the Statue of Liberty's new resting place, Ellis Island. At the point where Solidus dies, Raiden was supposed to have cut the rope on Federal Hall's flagpole, causing an American flag to fall over Solidus' body, and American flags which were supposed to be on all the flagpoles in New York were removed from the title.

MGS2 was also intended to reference the novel City of Glass, notably in the naming of its characters. Raiden's support team originally featured a different field commander named Colonel Daniel Quinn; Maxine "Max" Work, an Asian woman who saves game data and quotes Shakespeare, and William "Doc" Wilson, the creator of GW. All take their names from key characters in the book, and all three would have turned out to be artificial intelligences. None of these characters survived to the final edition, their roles being absorbed by other characters, namely the "Colonel Campbell" simulation, Rose, and Emma Emmerich. Peter Stillman, however, takes his name from another City of Glass character. Kojima has also cited another novel, Kōbō Abe's Kangaroo Notebook, as an influence on the game.

1499w87.jpg
ji2xd5.jpg

suvty9.jpg
2zf0u43.jpg

2dkinq1.jpg
2ivzaly.jpg

And who doesn't remember the E3 Trailer from 2000? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7aBSUAozE

I still remember the first time playing MGS2. Got it on a friday and finished it on the next day at 10 pm. God, what an awesome experience. of course, the ending was like "what the fuck are you trying to say?" but i liked it. too bad they had to cut so many ideas....

Feel free to post you personal impressions. this thread is for everyone who loves Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty.

Its my personal Game Of The Forever,

IMO its by far the best MGS game and when i think of Kojima I immediately think if this as his best work.

but everyone else hates it cause it has raiden in it.

StuBurns

Banned
Blew my mind, I must have played the demo thru a hundred times, probably more. I remember the day I went to town to buy it, I put my hand in some shit while hanging out with friends after getting back from town. I remember having to buy it from WHSmiths because the local gameshop wouldn't sell it me because they didn't believe I was old enough, but I knew a woman who worked at WHSmiths.

Did an allnighter on the Saturday with a friend, we had a few hours break for Sunday lunch, finished it that evening. Was utterly mind blowing, and fairly disappointing. Have played it through probably ten times still. It's one of the best games ever and at the time, it was next-gen. It defined the last generation for me.

Raiden: Rose, call me Raiden.
Rose: Okay Jack.

Loved it.
Played through it and Substance so many times.
When I think of my PS2, this was the defining game for it in my life.

Co-incidently starting thinking about the Harrier fight this morning when a helicopter flew over head.

"Raiden, this is the Stinger Missile Launcher. You have to shoot the Harrier down."

Sethos

Banned
Completed that game well over 15 times, sometimes in one sitting - It was so good, It'd definitely be a "Game of Eternity" contender for me.

I got all the dog tags and 100%'d all the VR missions in the Xbox version of Substance.

The VR missions actually allowed the gameplay to show it's true potential and were very entertaining and challenging. I love that game, I actually started replaying it recently.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Count me in too. Masterpiece (despite some obvious flaws) partially misunderstood by manchildren bitter because of Raiden, and whose whole point (I mean the game's, not Raiden's) flew over their heads completely.
Oh, and the mindfuck is indeed mindfucking. Kojima at his best, before he went batshit insane.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Subliminal said:
but everyone else hates it cause it has raiden in it.

lol wut

I love how MGS2 added a great deal to the MGS gameplay mechanics, and the game for most part played really well, but I'll forever remember it as a shit story full of characters and locations not half as memorable as the game before it.

Binabik15

Great game.

I have to admit that the weird fight with the ninja troopers made me turn off the game the first time I played it. Fucking Fission Mailed screen.

I didn´t complete it as many times as MGS, but still a good game. Don´t understand all the people rushing through new games in a few sitings, though,I always try and draw out good games.

Xater

Jocchan said:
Count me in too. Masterpiece (despite some obvious flaws) partially misunderstood by manchildren bitter because of Raiden, and whose whole point (I mean the game's, not Raiden's) flew over their heads completely.
Oh, and the mindfuck is indeed mindfucking. Kojima at his best, before he went batshit insane.

Completely agree. It#s probably my favorite in the seires. Yes I like it more than MGS3.

randomwab

Best Metal Gear, and probably the most hyped I've ever been for a game.

I like to replay it every now and again, and I'm still in awe at how good it is. The basic gameplay jump from MGS to MGS2 is astounding.

God, that game is just so good. ~hugs premium pack~

In 2008 I let my friend borrow Metal Gear Solid 2 in exchange for borrowing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Well... he sold it within the same time he was saying "I'm still playing through it". I am fucking angry as this was my first MGS game and I loved it.

I love it, but for me it's by far the worst MGS. The balance between gameplay and cutscene was awful because there's so little actual gameplay content compared to MGS3 and 4. It's a very small game with tiny halls and "arenas", few opportunities to fully utilize the deep mechanics and big bag of tricks... and the few substantial stealth workouts were over fast. That was fine for a tightly paced little game like MGS1, but here it got unbearable with all the 10 minute cutscenes.

I love what little gameplay there is, the atmosphere is great, the music is amazing, I love the ridiculous story... but this game managed to be far LESS than the sum of its parts.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ashbash159 said:
In 2008 I let my friend borrow Metal Gear Solid 2 in exchange for borrowing Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Well... he sold it within the same time he was saying "I'm still playing through it". I am fucking angry as this was my first MGS game and I loved it.

What kind of 'friend' sells games they borrow?

Still my favorite in the series as far as narrative goes. Gameplay was solid as hell, graphically gorgeous, good use of sound and particles, 60fps...I mean, the only downfall I can think of with this game would be the Big Shell itself. Although I guess it is a bit "realistic", I think it could have used a little more cosmetic variety for the outside of the structure. A very small gripe for such an astonishing piece of work.

My favorite MGS

EatChildren said:
lol wut

I love how MGS2 added a great deal to the MGS gameplay mechanics, and the game for most part played really well, but I'll forever remember it as a shit story full of characters and locations not half as memorable as the game before it.

EE's Death is the saddest thing in any MGS game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Just one of the best games ever done.

<3

Pooya

Has Kojima ever mentioned the this game was influenced by The Rock? there are so many things similar between the two but I think he never mentioned The Rock.
I loved that movie and loved the game.

Gomu Gomu

So I played it, or at least tried to play it, a couple of months ago. I was coming from my 10th replay for MGS1. The first part with Solid Snake was THE PERFECT sequel. The upgrade in the gameplay mechanics is phenomenal. The game played super smoothly, and controlling Snake never felt better.

And then.....

The second part began, Raiden was, is and will always be the worst main character in a game ever. And if that wasn't enough, the game takes a sudden turn into shitty sci-fi characters, long boring and useless codec conversations, an even more boring and stretched cutscenes, horrid voice acting, poor pacing and bad level design. OH MY GOD, how can a game sooooo good, becomes SOOOO BAD in a matter of minutes. I couldn't continue playing it. To me, MGS2 is the biggest F you from a developer.

edit: I'll be playing MGS3 very soon. I hope it holds up better than 2.

Empty

I played through MGS1-3 in order a few summers ago, and man, the leap from MGS1 to this was incredible. The freedom you had in the stealth action was so good, especially in the opening chapter where you would just mess around fooling guards. I actually really liked Big Shell as a location, it might lack the visual flair of other places in the series, but it had this almost creepy feeling atmosphere in the muted coloured gloom that kept growing on me. The boss battles were a bit of a letdown in the game, apart from the crazy battle against the Metal Gear Rays, and the story though weird and interesting at times (the whole subverting the players expectations from mgs1 and the mindfuck stuff were brilliant) was also full of shit too (cutscenes too long, otacon, bad writing), but then that's Kojima i guess.

EatChildren

Subliminal said:
EE's Death is the saddest thing in any MGS game.

Meh. MGS2's story as a whole was far too weak for me. I think it was due to coming from MGS. Going from a cast of great, memorable characters to the half-arsed boring shit in MGS2 really hurt the experience for me. Its not even a Raiden issue. The bosses were weak, the main characters weak, the story weak, and most of the codec conversations were boring.

I still enjoyed it thanks to the gameplay, but I definitely dont share the love others do.

-viper-

Banned
One my favourite PS2 games and one of the best games of all time, no doubt. Raiden sucked but that didn't stop me replaying MGS2 at least 15-20 times.

it's the best game at Kojima being Kojima; and probably the last one.
The plot itself might have been bananas but it was great for what Kojima set out to do, among those things to take a piss at gamers

Definitely one of the best games I've ever played. The gameplay, the story, the characters, the easter eggs, the mindfuckS, the boss battles: They were all fantastic.

I'll NEVER forget the confusion going through my head when "Snake" came up from the water with blonde hair behind a pretty sweet looking mask talking in a weird voice. My brother was watching me play and we were like "WTF is going on?" in a good way. Even the part where you see the real Snake briefly in the elevator, we were like "Did you see that? Someone was in the elevator and it looked like Snake..."

The good times.

Randy

That Olga-pic still cracks me up.

Anyway, MGS2 was a fantastic experience. I really liked the characters and though it was a surprise, I really began to like Raiden after a while.

Kinyou

Subliminal said:
[....]but everyone else hates it cause it has raiden in it.

Partly that's because you never freaking saw him in the trailers. I think there was even one trailer in which you saw Snake fighting on big shell...

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
GoncaloCCastro said:
Love the game!

Here's something Geoff Keighley wrote for Gamespot before the game came out, it's a good read for fans of the game that never read it. http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/btg_mgs2/index.html
My favourite in the series, and yes I liked it more than MGS3 and had no problem with Raiden. He looked different, but he had almost the same gameplay as Snake (apart from the ninja bits) so I don't really get the complaints about him.

I dislike Rose though, she was annoying as hell.

viewtifulsub said:
The best part of MGS2 was the Substance VR disk.
Oh god, this! I was really disappointed when they didn't do something like that for MGS3, and MGS4.

StuBurns

Banned
Inanna said:
Oh god, this! I was really disappointed when they didn't do something like that for MGS3, and MGS4.
I remember arguing against that complaint of Snake Eater, saying VR would make no sense, and it wouldn't, but playing the Peace Walker demo made me think how awesome it would be to have training missions at your base with real people and paintball guns or whatever.

MGS has always had sublime gameplay, one of the things that is most annoying about MGS4 is the fact that the first chapter is as good a video game as I've ever played, and it's just a slow decline from that point onwards, such a waste.

NIN90

Weakest entry in the series imo. It was very noticeable how much was cut and in the end it felt knda disjointed.

Feathers

60fps!! This game looked godly when it came out, I don't think there's been such a graphical leap in quality between generations since. And I wish more games would incorporate the amount of easter eggs this one does, makes multiple playthroughs that much more satisfying (loved the dogtag collecting too). Story could do with a bit of work, but I intellectually switch off during cutscenes anyway. I'd probably rank it behind MGS1 and 3 in terms of game design, but as an experience it was unmatched.

spats

One of the first games I played when I got my ps2. Still one of my favourite games of all time. Everything has held up so well, especially the clean visuals.

I enjoyed it, it was a great experience. When MGS 4 was released, before it I had a "Metal Gear Marathon" and played all of them in sequence.

That being said though, I honestly thought this was the weakest Metal Gear in the saga. It wasn't bad, it was great, but compaired to MGS 3 and MGS 4 it really pales in compairison.

Still a great game though, it had great moments and a lot of funny parts

IMO it was a good upgrade on mechanics etc,but the masterpiece is and will be MGS1. Other MGS were just upgrades of the formula. The story was just perfect, and perfectly told by codec, etc in 1.

Other mgs's scenarios were kinda strange, vamp, nanomachines, etc, I thing it was all exagerated.

ryan-ts

For the people hating on this game you know what you should do? Stay far away from this thread as MGS2 super fans cannot judge quality nor can they carry on a conversation about actual good games. It's best to just let them live in their own fantasy world.

What? I'm not kidding

ryan-ts said:
For the people hating on this game you know what you should do? Stay far away from this thread as MGS2 super fans cannot judge quality nor can they carry on a conversation about actual good games. It's best to just let them live in their own fantasy world.

What? I'm not kidding

YU ZO VUNNY ZIR XBBBB

Anyway, have to agree that it is the weakest of the MGS console games. I loved the heck out of it, but MGS 3 still stands on top of everything to me.

Top Bottom