• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

IrishNinja

i'm with you on this one, cheese! cj_iwakura should be by shortly as well, heh

it'd be great if we could get Rainfall in on this, or some kinda organized tweetathon. i sometimes assume nintendo just doesn't know/think it'd be a priority for consumers, because otherwise i don't know the advantages for keeping them really, just that maybe it's a default for japanese companies? shit practice either way.

A defeatist attitude never accomplished anything! Let's make it happen!

agreed! so sad to see

I would care but honestly there isn't a god damn thing I want that is a japanese only 3DS game.

this "nothing in it (right now) for me" is equally shitty too, i think

Am I wrong, or isn't it possible to hack region free playability into a console? That might be a more practical scenario than Nintendo actually listening to their fanbase unfortunately :(

This makes no sense considering there are two other consoles, one of which is totally region free and the other is partially.

And both are subject to the same ratings boards / limitations.

Then what about the other consoles?

I don't know about other consoles, but that has been nintendo's stance on the issue. I don't care since i can just order a japanese system if I really needed to play some import game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/nintendo-comments-on-3ds-region-locking/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-19-nintendo-defends-3ds-region-lock

Floex

this "nothing in it (right now) for me" is equally shitty too, i think

I can't disagree with that. You are right in that but I have come to terms that I buy a Nintendo for Nintendo games only so know that I will get the goods I want. Personally would rather an account system above region free at this stage.

I don't care since i can just order a japanese system if I really needed to play some import game.
Having to lug around two or even three handhelds is annoying. Having the systems be region free would be much preferable. I don't have the feeling that a region free hack is going to happen anytime soon, so having an official change made to the firmware seems like the best bet. Trying can't hurt!

I don't care since i can just order a japanese system if I really needed to play some import game.

I have a hard time accepting to buy multiple times the same hardware because of a limitation from the constructor.

At the very least, a region-lock would be acceptable for me if ALL titles could be bought/accessibles (even without translation) on ALL regional dematerialized stores. As a customer, I believe having more options is always preferable.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
The problem is that unlike directional pads, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, force feedback, and motion control, Nintendo actually did invent region locking.

Doubt this can go anywhere..
Would love this though, as i can't still understand the reasoning behind the region-lock (actually i understand them from publishers' pov, but from a user's is utter shit)..

Dr Dogg

Is this even a possibility? Is their form or region locking firmware or hardware based?

Seriously. You want to be looking up their fax number.

I'd like to think that at Nintendo's HQ's around the globe they still have a bank of Telex machines.

Taker666

I'd rather we tried to convince them to do something they might actually do if pushed..

..like add a track editor to Mario Kart 8.

Region free isn't going to happen.

Is this even a possibility? Is their form or region locking firmware or hardware based?

Any 3DS cart will fit into any 3DS, it just won't show up on the menu. I'd imagine it's the same deal on Wii U. We're past the cartridge slot tabs to something that's not worked around so easily.

Region free eShop would flow better (heck even a delayed one as the common reason for wanting imports is games that never come out, I say a year is the most a game should take to come out). They're weary about carts due to counterfeit games.
They somehow listened to the Miiverse about the PAL versions of VC.
Even then they didn't fully take it on board as they felt "German subtitles for English speakers > Proper 60Hz gameplay that destroyed the Balloon Fight Miiverse community". So who knows how they'll handle region free.

I don't know about other consoles, but that has been nintendo's stance on the issue. I don't care since i can just order a japanese system if I really needed to play some import game.
I'm not double dipping as it is daft plus it sends completely the opposite message; "Nintendo you made a bad choice with region locking, I'm rewarding you for this mistake by making a hardware purchase".

Firmware. Ironically it used to be hardware (cartridge slots slightly different but possible to work around with DIY or adaptors) between Japan and America. Europe always had chips...(heck, when NES came out in Europe there were two regions)

Keyouta

I'll do my part. Region locking isn't such a great decision with how connected the world is nowadays. Why deny potential revenue for your company? Especially with a region free eShop, since Nintendo would get 100% of the money spent on a title.

Denying customers a game, and yourself another sale, because you need that region's hardware is dumb.

Seriously. You want to be looking up their fax number.

/dead

I'd be behind this though. Region locking is the main reason why I'm not interested in the 3DS, as a handheld without imported games isn't appealing to me at all. I'm far less interested in the Wii U but it'd still be a positive move.

I'll do my part. Region locking isn't such a great decision with how connected the world is nowadays. Why deny potential revenue for your company? Especially with a region free eShop, since Nintendo would get 100% of the money spent on a title.

Denying customers a game, and yourself another sale, because you need that region's hardware is dumb.

Exactly. Region-locking leads to missed sales opportunities.

Exactly. Region-locking leads to missed sales opportunities.

Exactly my stance too. I'm a big proponent of the vote-with-your-wallet school of thought, so a company denying me the opportunity to show support is a little unbelievable.

From a company's standpoint I may understand the need to control your business, and import gaming tends to be a niche within a niche - not something which concern most of your audience. But being locked about the opportunity of buying japanese exclusives is not something I'm willing to accept gracefully.

danielcw

The games aren't the problem. Every game has a region code, even on PS3. It's just that the console doesn't block it when the region doesn't match.

That does not make sense, because there is at least one PS3 game that was locked to one region.
Would you back up your statement with links.

Exactly my stance too. I'm a big proponent of the vote-with-your-wallet school of thought, so a company denying me the opportunity to show support is a little unbelievable.

From a company's standpoint I may understand the need to control your business, and import gaming tends to be a niche within a niche - not something which concern most of your audience. But being locked about the opportunity of buying japanese exclusives is not something I'm willing to accept gracefully.

Voting with your wallet in this case is not exactly something that sends a clear signal. Boycotting systems and choosing others gets lost in statistical noise due to it being a niche issue.

There's simply no compelling reason to deny the passionate minority of gamers who import the ability to buy more games. It's better to put the customer first and actually listen to their needs. Make these customers happy above all, as they're the ones who make word-of-mouth work.

Watashiwa

Guys, the problem is that we aren't the targets of the region lock. Japanese reverse importers are the target of the region lock.

Japanese physical media is about as expensive as it is in Australia, except imports are easier and thus cheaper. Given that some Westernized games have a Japanese voice track (and others can be undubbed) it winds up being cheaper overall to get the US versions of Japanese games. I hope your campaign takes off and reminds Nintendo that they have passionate and dedicated fans, but the fact is you were never even considered when this decision was made--Japanese retailers were.

skull kid

+1
I really hope this gets a lot of support, it deserves it. My hope is that in a remote future they'll extend region-free to accounts/nnid, once they unlock them from hardware.
One can dream.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They won't change.

It's a damn shame too as I'm an American gamer living in Europe. I own an American Wii U and 3DS. I can only purchase new games through importing. It's a pain in the ass and will ensure that I purchase fewer games for their systems.

Guys, the problem is that we aren't the targets of the region lock. Japanese reverse importers are the target of the region lock.

Japanese physical media is about as expensive as it is in Australia, except imports are easier and thus cheaper. Given that some Westernized games have a Japanese voice track (and others can be undubbed) it winds up being cheaper overall to get the US versions of Japanese games. I hope your campaign takes off and reminds Nintendo that they have passionate and dedicated fans, but the fact is you were never even considered when this decision was made--Japanese retailers were.

Have you looked at Japanese game prices on Nintendo systems lately? They're typically 4800 yen on 3DS and 5800-6800 yen on Wii U. Hardly price-gouging to the point that would give rise to the reverse-importation boogeyman. The locals prefer to play with Japanese language settings anyway.

skull kid

They won't change.

It's a damn shame too as I'm an American gamer living in Europe. I own an American Wii U and 3DS. I can only purchase new games through importing. It's a pain in the ass and will ensure that I purchase fewer games for their systems.
I've been thinking about importing an american 3DS..but what happens if it breaks? you can't send it to NoE can you?

Voting with your wallet in this case is not exactly something that sends a clear signal. Boycotting systems and choosing others gets lost in statistical noise due to it being a niche issue.

There's simply no compelling reason to deny the passionate minority of gamers who import the ability to buy more games. It's better to put the customer first and actually listen to their needs. Make these customers happy above all, as they're the ones who make word-of-mouth work.

I agree with you.

But realistically I guess it's just a matter of being a lot of potential concerns for the minor return on investment we represent for the companies :/

Have you looked at Japanese game prices on Nintendo systems lately? They're typically 4800 yen on 3DS and 5800-6800 yen on Wii U. Hardly price-gouging to the point that would give rise to the reverse-importation boogeyman. The locals prefer to play with Japanese language settings anyway.

Aye, reverse importing is more a concern for anime DVD/BD than vg :)

Keyouta

Tweeted them about it. How would anything ever get done with region locking if people don't start making a fuss? Saying that it won't happen doesn't help. How about taking that energy and writing a message to Nintendo, we have to start somewhere.

yankee666

Im all in with region free consoles, i love japanese games (thats why i bought a JAP 3DS), but sadly i really doubt it will happen.

Isnt the Wii U Gamepad region locked as well????

Im all in with region free consoles, i love japanese games (thats why i bought a JAP 3DS), but sadly i really doubt it will happen.

Isnt the Wii U Gamepad region locked as well????

Apparently you need to mate it with the same-region system during setup. I'm not sure if you can swap later.

As for defeatism: that's absolutely the wrong attitude to have when trying to effect change. People need to speak up and stand up for themselves. Taking even a few moments to express your support for this to Nintendo would be a much greater help than posting a wet blanket message.

We need to get fired up over this, not get bogged down in loser talk!

gngf123

Am I wrong, or isn't it possible to hack region free playability into a console? That might be a more practical scenario than Nintendo actually listening to their fanbase unfortunately :(

I'm far from an expert on this. However, IIRC every retail game goes through Nintendo's licensing system where the publisher gets a key from Nintendo and they then put that key in the game. That's how region locking seems to be done, with different sets of keys for each region.

In theory, Nintendo could release a patch so the system could accept keys from different regions. I think.

I am totally for this movement, and hope we can get something out of it.

Keyouta

Apparently you need to mate it with the same-region system during setup. I'm not sure if you can swap later.

As for defeatism: that's absolutely the wrong attitude to have when trying to effect change. People need to speak up and stand up for themselves. Taking even a few moments to express your support for this to Nintendo would be a much greater help than posting a wet blanket message.

We need to get fired up over this, not get bogged down in loser talk!

Exactly. What if people were saying "Man, Microsoft won't change their mind at all! They have DRM, no used games, etc., and that's how it is, we shouldn't do anything, because if we did, nothing will change anyway."?

Would they need to make the Wii "emulator" region-free separate from the Wii U? Being able to play a few Wii games that never came over would get me on board with this.

I'll probably throw the tweets out anyway for Cheesemeister, since he does so much for us. <3

IMO, to get people fired up about this, you need to show why it's important. IMO, the OP should have a list of videos from games that never made it over here. Otherwise you will get lukewarm reception.

Even then, it's a difficult task because this only barely affects the USA, and most people can't read JP anyway. Movements need to motivate people through demonstrated effect and applicability, not ideals.

Top Bottom