• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's cut the ******** What's your Top 3 choices for Next-Gen now?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If the PS3 fails, it's a Western-game-only future for the next 5-10 years...which is not a kind sight.

err.... so if the PS3 fails, and a large X360 base is available are you saying that we'd get Western style Japanese support or no Japanese support at all?

SA-X

Before:
1) PS3/360
2) Wii

After:
1) 360
2) Wii
3) PS3

Nintendo made me very happy that I preordered a DS Lite a couple days ago, but didn't really impress me much with the Wii showing. Mario Galaxy looks awesome however.

I've been going back and forth between PS3 and 360 for sometime but the wait and see stage is pretty much over for me now. I don't particularly give a shit about BR so the extra $200 Sony is asking isn't worth it to me. Couple this with GTA4 simultaneous 360 release and a very nice looking lineup of games shown and MS has pretty much won me over.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
DS Lite is the only system I know I'll get. All the so-called next-gen systems suck on some level or another.

DCharlie said:
err.... so if the PS3 fails, and a large X360 base is available are you saying that we'd get Western style Japanese support or no Japanese support at all?

People are stupid and can't think back to the time when Genesis was a bomba in Japan and still recieved lots of "Japanese-style games".

Raw64life

1. Wii
2. PS3
3. X360

Nothing has changed bewteen pre-E3 and now. All 3 of them still have a lot to prove. Wii looks fantastic but I'm still not sold on the controller and I probably won't be until I actually get to try it out for myself, which probably won't be months from now. I figured I probably wouldn't be getting a PS3 until a little after launch, and that has turned into a lot after launch after they revealed that hideous price tag. I'm pretty indifferent to X360, and the press conference didn't change anything. I'd really like to see some more great exclusives come out on X360 that aren't 1st/3rd person shooters, because it seems like every breakthrough exclusive they have falls into one of those two genres.

But if we're counting portables, yes, the DS owns all. I think it's quietly going to have an amazing E3 just like it did last year.

Tellaerin

DCharlie said:

I can't speak for Bebpo, but I think it would mean little or no Japanese support for the 360 in the West - roughly the same amount and quality as we've seen to date, regardless of how popular the machine is here. Your 'developers will go where the money is' argument only seems to work when it comes to Westerners developing for Japanese consoles, not the other way around, no matter how much money gets thrown their way. I mean, the 360's doing well in the West now - certainly well enough to justify the expense of developing grade-A titles for the machine - yet companies like Namco seem to be using X360 dev as a dumping ground for its B-teams. I think cultural factors are a major factor in that. An American-made game console is never going to see the kind of developer commitment from the Japanese as one manufactured by a native company, and that's not something I ever expect to change. *shrug*

Pre

1 PS3
2 Wii
3 Keep playing WoW
4 360

post (after the conferences and seeing the new allaince race from amespy, yourgame.com wowguru.com)

1. Wii
2. Catch up on the games I missed out playing WoW
3. Get a body Cavity Search
4. Continue Playing WoW (not cause the new allaince race is a joke cause the community is the WORST, the game is WAY over-raided...err rated)
5. Pay $600 for a PS3
6. Buy a 360

I figure #3 is the same effect as #5/6 but I won't have to pay for it.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I can't speak for Bebpo, but I think it would mean little or no Japanese support for the 360 in the West - roughly the same amount and quality as we've seen to date, regardless of how popular the machine is here. Your 'developers will go where the money is' argument only seems to work when it comes to Westerners developing for Japanese consoles, not the other way around, no matter how much money gets thrown their way. I mean, the 360's doing well in the West now - certainly well enough to justify the expense of developing grade-A titles for the machine - yet companies like Namco seem to be using X360 dev as a dumping ground for its B-teams. I think cultural factors are a major factor in that. An American-made game console is never going to see the kind of developer commitment from the Japanese as one manufactured by a native company, and that's not something I ever expect to change. *shrug*

i think we are talking about two different scenarios here - we are talking about a PS3 failure - i.e. Totally bombing. If that's the case, and the X360 takes off, the Japanese devs will dev for the X360 out of necessity.

It's true - a US machine (in reality) will not get the Japanese commitment, but in some alternate reality where the PS3 just totally and utterly bombs - they WILL support the X360.

I don't think there is a way either of us can prove this.

Pre:

1. xbox 360
2. PS3
3. Wii

After:

1. xbox 360
2. Wii
3. PS3 (Im not even sure if theyre worthy of this position. Damn they had nothing interesting... at all.)

Jonnyram

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

It was like this for me before and after the conference and the price was in the direction I expected, just a little higher than I would have guessed.

I don't think Japanese devs will have any trouble making Wii do some nice stuff when they get proper dev kits. You only have to look at Super Mario Galaxy to see there's a big discrepancy at the moment. Wii is not as far behind as Drinky would have you believe. So if PS3 fails to own Japan, there will be some games going to Wii and some to 360. I think the more tech heavy stuff like MMOs and FF/MGS-type games would end up on 360, and more cartoony/fun or gun games like DQ/RE will end up on Wii.

Timbuktu

DCharlie said:
i think we are talking about two different scenarios here - we are talking about a PS3 failure - i.e. Totally bombing. If that's the case, and the X360 takes off, the Japanese devs will dev for the X360 out of necessity.

It's true - a US machine (in reality) will not get the Japanese commitment, but in some alternate reality where the PS3 just totally and utterly bombs - they WILL support the X360.

PS3 totally bombing would imply that Wii is well recieved in Japan (or the Japanese has totalling given up on gaming, which is impossible). I can see Nintendo stepping up with the Wii successor and try to compete with Microsoft and Japanese developers will likely side with Nintendo.

Monk

Banned
1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

1. Wii

I really dont give a shit about the rest on some level.

Xbox 360 for the lack of rpg's
ps3 too expensive.

Tellaerin

DCharlie said:

I hope we never have to find out. To tell you the truth, if the PS3 utterly bombs on both sides of the Pacific (which I doubt - my first post was assuming that the PS3 bombed in the West but still did decently in Japan), then I can see Japanese devs shifting support en masse to the Wii. That's terrific if you're into the whole gesture-recognition thing, but if you happen to be partial to more traditional gameplay (which I am), then it's not a very exciting prospect.

Before E3 Conference:

1) Wii
2) PS3
3) 360

After:

1) Wii
2) This is where the DS would go on my list if I didn't already have one
3) 360
4) DS Lite even though I already own a DS and I'd much rather get a Lite than PS3 now
5) PS3 (Fuck you Sony, shove your 11 pound $600 blu ray player up your ass where it belongs)

Seriously though....Sony what the fuck? I was definately planning on getting a Wii and PS3 for my next gen gaming since the 360 did nothing for me, but now I'm forced into getting a 360 for my third party gaming console. Exclusive-wise, Halo 3 is the only 360 game that floats my boat, while MGS4 and FFXIII look pretty badass, but not 600 dollars worth of badass. Hopefully at least MGS4 will be ported to the 360 sometime down the line. Also...the dual shock 3 minus the shock is extremely disapointing. I'm sick of that fucking controller and now it doesn't even have force feedback?....FTL. Wii and 360 FTW.

Can't wait to see more in the coming days, though. Bring on teh Wii.

Lince

Banned
I already have X360 so my personal choice come Fall'06 will be Wii, PS3 should wait until the premium pack hits 400

lexy

S. L. said:
1. -
2. -
3. PS3

Yep, pretty much sums up my feelings. I was looking forward to whatever console VF5 landed on but then Sony went ahead and priced the PS3 at $600. I don't know. It doesn't seem like it's worth it for a console I only plan on playing one game on. We'll see. Lots of time between now and spring 2007.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Before E3:

1. Wii and PS3 were tied for my commitment.
2. 360

After E3:

1. Wii
2. 360
3. PS3

Sony announcing their throw away feature in the "tilt" and not trying to better XBL in any way shape or form...has completely changed my views on how serious and in-touch Sony really are with gaming. They're so out of touch it's unbelievable. The price was the nail in the coffin for me. I use to laugh at the 360 and Microsoft...but gosh...one conference later Sony has managed to dent my enthusiasm for their system...I'm now considering a 360.

Phil Harrison - "Rumble was last generation, tilt is this generation"

What.A.Tool

Jaf

Banned
Pre

XB 360
PS3
Wii

After

XB 360 (Halo 3, Moto GP, Topspin, Gears of War, DOA, and Xbox Live are the main reasons I'm still on the MS bandwagon.

Wii (When it hits $199 or $149 I'll grab it for the goofy control scheme. My girlfriend might like fooling around with it.

PS3 (I can't justify a $600 purchase for one franchise that I sorta like Metal Gear, Tekken is my only other exclusive interest and it looked pretty horrible to say the least so I'll pass on that. I was never a mark for Final Fantasy or RPG's at all so it doesn't do anything for me.) Blu-Ray doesn't get my purchase either, 5 years from now a new HD format will take over. I just don't see Blu-Ray going over DVD at any point before something with a larger capacity is introduced.

zou

Pre:

1) Wii
2) PS3
3) X360

1) Wii
2) X360
3) PS3 (once the premium (as in: not as many features cut) pack drops to <300)

NeonZ

Pre:

1)Wii
2)PS3
3)X-Box 360

Now:

1)Wii
3)X-Box 360

PS3's price FTL, but X-Box's library just doesn't interest me much. There's a real lack of Japanese games...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Pre:
1. Wii
2. PS3
3. x360

And no PS3, I prefer the Wii/x360 combo for that price.

Top Bottom