• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Discuss Condemned: Criminal Origins

lordxar

This was a good game. The movement was kind of sluggish and combat felt slow, almost like two giants swinging trees at each other. Other than those minor complaints I really enjoyed playing it. The game really messes with your head too. As others pointed out, there were more than a few stairs or dark corners where you just know your screwed its just a matter of how bad. Always felt good to find a shotty, even for one shell.

JNT

I'm pretty inept at these sort of things, is Wine a free/legal install that's easy to do? And would I be able to buy the steam version of the game and use it with Wine?

Yes, Wine is legal. It's basically a reimplementation of the Windows libraries, and it kind of makes a Windows program think it's being run in Windows rather than in Linux/OS X. The easiest way to use Wine on OS X is by using Wineskin.

As for buying a Steam version and using it with Wine... Yes, this should work. I think Steam will complain that a game you are installing is not supported on your platform, but that it will ultimately let you download the files anyway. Right guys? Can anyone confirm this?

Once you have successfully downloaded the files, install the latest Wine engine inside Wineskin (check the version numbers, newest should be 1.7 something) and create a blank "wrapper" (.app file) that uses that engine. Once the wrapper has been created simply double click it to install the Windows software. Note that Steam games are already installed on your hard drive, so choose to either move or copy an existing folder. Then simply select to run the game executable.

With any luck the game should run... At least according to the Wine compatibility page. At $2.5 it's worth a try in my opinion.

Yes, Wine is legal. It's basically a reimplementation of the Windows libraries, and it kind of makes a Windows program think it's being run in Windows rather than in Linux/OS X. The easiest way to use Wine on OS X is by using Wineskin.

As for buying a Steam version and using it with Wine... Yes, this should work. I think Steam will complain that a game you are installing is not supported on your platform, but that it will ultimately let you download the files anyway. Right guys? Can anyone confirm this?

Once you have successfully downloaded the files, install the latest Wine engine inside Wineskin (check the version numbers, newest should be 1.7 something) and create a blank "wrapper" (.app file) that uses that engine. Once the wrapper has been created simply double click it to install the Windows software. Note that Steam games are already installed on your hard drive, so choose to either move or copy an existing folder. Then simply select to run the game executable.

With any luck the game should run... At least according to the Wine compatibility page. At $2.5 it's worth a try in my opinion.

Thanks for the help! I will admit that it still sounds a little confusing haha but I'll give it a shot as I agree it would worth it as I'd be able to play this game as well as a bunch of other older PC games I've missed out on.

dreamfall

God damn.

In spite of the sequel not being as great as the first title, I'd kill for it on Steam. There were some incredible moments in both games- hell, even the multiplayer was a really disturbing take on murderous hide and go seek.

chemicals

I love both Condemned games, but you guys are right.. that first game just nailed it on so many levels. I haven't gone back to replay it in a long time... maybe it's time. I was a 360 early adopter and Condemned was my go-to game to impress friends.

Okay so I downloaded Wine and all the updates, and bought Condemned on steam but it won't let me install. So is there a way for me to put those files on Wine?

JNT

Okay so I downloaded Wine and all the updates, and bought Condemned on steam but it won't let me install. So is there a way for me to put those files on Wine?

I'm sure you could do this at some point. Anyway, there seems to be a workaround. A simpler solution that might work is to download the Windows version of Steam, install it in Wineskin, then run it and then install and run your Windows games from inside the Windows version of Steam.

Edit: PlayOnMac actually has an automated process for installing the Windows version of Steam on your Mac. This might be the easiest solution out there.

I played this, and liked it, but I was trying to remember certain sequences and drawing a blank. Then, "mannequins." Oh, right.

*shudder*

Sorcerer

I first played this on the PC, finished it and then picked up the 360 version cheap.

(I credit the pc version for forcing me to use mouse and keyboard, and surprisingly I adapted rather well)

I was blown away by how much better it played on the 360.

Guess my PC wasn't up to snuff. I figured such an old game would run fine.

If I remember correctly the sequel changed the combat. You simply could not bash people anymore you had to do button combinations.

It just killed the game for me right there.

I'm sure you could do this at some point. Anyway, there seems to be a workaround. A simpler solution that might work is to download the Windows version of Steam, install it in Wineskin, then run it and then install and run your Windows games from inside the Windows version of Steam.

Edit: PlayOnMac actually has an automated process for installing the Windows version of Steam on your Mac. This might be the easiest solution out there.

Thanks again for the help! I actually installed Windows Steam through Wine but no text shows up when I run it, and I can't find an easy solution to fix it so I'll try PlayOnMac and see if it's simpler!

Edit: PlayOnMac works! Thanks so much JNT that was very helpful of you. Downloading this shit now, and hopefully I will not pussy out and be able to play a bit before I go to bed.

SparkTR

I played it in around 2007 on my 360 and loved it, but I remember despising the sequel which I bought on day one. Should of kept stuff simple like the first, none of the insane plot points and locales/set pieces, and none of those forced gunfights. I'm glad they re-released it on Steam so I can play it again without pulling my 360 out of storage.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Fhtagn

This game is easy to find at Gamestop for $4.99. I know because inspired by this thread I dropped by my local one and they had three copies in cases with the original art and manuals. Not even platinum hits versions.

Definitely a gem from last gen. Did a fantastic job of creating an uneasy atmosphere and as the OP mentioned it has a melee system that still feels like one of the best in the business. I never got around to the 2nd game so i'd be curious to know how that turned out as fans of the first.

I think the biggest tragedy here is that there was talk of Sega using this engine for a first-person Streets of Rage reboot but it got canned when Sega downsized. Would've loved to see how far they got with it.

Definitely a gem from last gen. Did a fantastic job of creating an uneasy atmosphere and as the OP mentioned it has a melee system that still feels like one of the best in the business. I never got around to the 2nd game so i'd be curious to know how that turned out as fans of the first.

I think the biggest tragedy here is that there was talk of Sega using this engine for a first-person Streets of Rage reboot but it got canned when Sega downsized. Would've loved to see how far they got with it.

That's certainly tragic, but I'd consider the fact that the developer of Condemned, No One Lives Forever and Blood is a hollowed out zombified corpse of its former self the biggest tragedy personally.

Jagsrock

Banned
The atmosphere in the game is soo goood. It manages to make the player feel uneasy without the relying heavily on jump scares. I legit felt claustrophobic during the subway tunnel chapter. The school was creepy as fuck and god damn the chapter 9 house made my skin crawl. Oh and lets not forget Barts department store. One of my favorite horror games it kept me on edge the whole time and combat was pretty much how a horror survival game should be. Decent variety of weapons scattered around the environment, none of them a long term solution and finding a gun actually makes you excited because you have no idea when you'll find another. Terrific game.

42a4GDB.gif

nded

Thanks again for the help! I actually installed Windows Steam through Wine but no text shows up when I run it, and I can't find an easy solution to fix it so I'll try PlayOnMac and see if it's simpler!

Edit: PlayOnMac works! Thanks so much JNT that was very helpful of you. Downloading this shit now, and hopefully I will not pussy out and be able to play a bit before I go to bed.

I installed this game through PlayonLinux a few days ago. Ran almost flawlessly save for the weapons and investigation equipment models being invisible. Haven't checked if there are any fixes.

ChaosXVI

Such an underrated gem. Easily was the top of Xbox 360's launch line-up but stupid me just HAD to play Perfect Dark Zero instead. This game scared me too much I just couldn't finish it. So I watched my brother play it so I could see everything. Something about watching it vs. Playing it took away just enough of the fright to where I could handle it.

Condemned 2 wasn't nearly as good or scary ..but holy shit that one part was pretty damn unBEARable wasn't it?

Incredible game. I really love this game and it still upsets me that they went the route they did with the sequel. Not that it didn't have it moments (the cabin was great), but it never managed to reach the highs of the first.

The department store, the school, the apple seed orchard (and basement). It was just incredible. Also one of the few games to perfectly nail melee combat in the first person...

Probably my most replayed game on 360, the sound is so good. How do i get my hands on the Steam version, Condemned doesn't show up on the german steam page :(

Someone gift me the game (would that even work?) and i gift him a game double/tripple the price back!!! I want it on my pc damnit, i love this game.

Played it through on 360 a few times, loved every scary minute of it. I had a projector with 5.1 setup at the time and it was a terrifying to play haha!! :) The sequel was massively disappointing.

Condemned was a really good game. I played the demo like 20 times and decided to finally go out and buy it. I played it so much and really enjoyed it.

steven28

Loved the game it genuinely scared the crap out of me
the mannequins
,my god!.The sequel had some good moments
the bear sequence
for instance.. but it wasn't nearly as good as the first game.

ArjanN

That's certainly tragic, but I'd consider the fact that the developer of Condemned, No One Lives Forever and Blood is a hollowed out zombified corpse of its former self the biggest tragedy personally.

I know a lot of people like to shit on Gotham City Impostors because of what type of game it is, but that game was actually good.

That upcoming Shadow of Mordor doesn't look bad either.

I know a lot of people like to shit on Gotham City Impostors because of what type of game it is, but that game was actually good.

That upcoming Shadow of Mordor doesn't look bad either.

I'm not even saying they make bad games now, but compared with their glory days they really are a shadow of what they once were.

I installed this game through PlayonLinux a few days ago. Ran almost flawlessly save for the weapons and investigation equipment models being invisible. Haven't checked if there are any fixes.

I tried playing it it loads and runs fine if I use the mouse, but as soon as I press a key the game crashes out. Sigh, gotta find another fix

They created something really unique and awesome here. I can't believe that fucked it up so much in the sequel.

If I were a developer I would make each sequel a separate story with new characters and locations.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Followed up by one of the worst Platinum Hits treatments, in that the side spine of it is blank and neglects to include the name of the game.

Woof. That is terrible.

All I can do is show off where I drew in the logo myself. Someone else will have to share the actual blank spine if they have it.

condemned_criminal_origins_ph_blank_spine.JPG

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Game was amazing. Nothing scarier. (Though playing through Outlast might just change my mind).

Never played the sequel unfortunately, but the original will always have a special place in my heart.

JNT

I tried playing it it loads and runs fine if I use the mouse, but as soon as I press a key the game crashes out. Sigh, gotta find another fix

A few things you could try;

* Try using different versions of Windows for compatibility. Windows XP SP3 is default, but you could try Windows 7 (PlayOnMac -> Steam -> Configure -> Wine -> Configure wine -> Applications -> Windows version: Windows 7).
* Try another version of Wine. I recall some versions of Wine have problems with input on some versions of the X window system. Open PlayOnMac -> Steam -> Configure -> General -> Wine version -> Plus symbol. See if you can find a Wine version that is called something like input fix, input patch or the like, and install that.
* Try installing dinput. PlayOnMac -> Steam -> Configure -> Install packages -> dinput -> Install.

Also, if you have having some mouse problems (on my computer games running on the Lithtech engine have a choppy mouse), simply configure the installed program in PlayOnMac's settings and set "Mouse wrap override" (under Miscellaneous) to "force".

pakkit

Banned
Condemned was the first "next-gen" experience I was excited for. It's dated itself pretty quickly though. I wouldn't say it holds up especially well. Monolith's NOLF series is still their pinnacle.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
Enjoy reading horror game threads and sometimes Let's Plays, but can never play one myself. I finished Alan Wake and that was enough for me and it wasn't even horror. Way back when, I was the type that would rent RE4, get my cousin to play it and just watch. I know I'm missing out on an entire genre that focuses on atmosphere and tension but I wuss out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I hate horror games but I played the shit out of this. It looked fantastic for a lunch game as well. So much fun.

Also the mannequins...

Dandalf

Neo Member
I loved this game!

It was one of two games I picked up at the launch for the 360. I grabbed this and Perfect Dark Zero
(shut up)
, and almost immediately all of my time was sunk into Condemned

I love horror games. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Fatal Frame - these are all games I loved playing as a kid, so when Condemned was announced and the trailers were shown I knew I had to play it.

I enjoyed the soundtrack for the game, the gameplay, the hand to hand combat, almost everything about Condemned I supported even though I felt the story went off the rails near the end.

The sound was also excellent. The sound of hitting an enemy with a lead pipe was entirely different (and very accurate?) compared to hitting someone with a 2x4. The voice work of the enemies was also really good.

The levels in the game were also great. The mall, the farm - they all offered different types of scares.

The second one I never completed, but I remember turning the game on, stepping into multiplayer against my better judgement, and immediately regretting it.

Still, the first Condemned is probably in my top ten games from last gen.

rtcn63

I've played the game twice, but never finished. Like a lot of the FP(S) titles from the era, it got repetitive for me a bit too early one. I did finish the second game though, pretty good.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I would love for a #3 to come around and paint the ending of #2 with its sonic resonators and goofy Psi-Ops quality conspiracies as all part of the delusion, go a bit meta with it, play around with insanity and reality a bit more.

Condemned was a better Silent Hill game than any Silent Hill game this generation (yes, even Shattered Memories). Everyone talks about the bear segment of the sequel but for me it was the part in the office building, with the inky black tar-covered fucked up guys, when you had no idea if it was even real...

c2-259.jpg

Top Bottom