• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Discuss Condemned: Criminal Origins

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

My favorite game of last generation. It has always been the only game to ever make me scared, and the gameplay was superb. I'd really love a port for the ps4.

kamspy

One of the best games last gen. Easily tops in the launch window. I own it on the old Direct2Drive so I think I need to rebuy it on Steam while it's on sale.

I wish the sequel would come out on PC. With the second half of the game and story retconned for something better.

The one-two punch of this and F.E.A.R. was Monolith's swan song before the spiral downwards into mediocrity.

I built a new PC just to play BF2, F.E.A.R., and this.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
How's the PC port? Never got around to playing it on 360 very long but heard the sequel sucked.

PC port is very good. I got a boxed copy.

The sequel never came to PC, because there is no fucking justice in the universe. It was also good, not as good, but had some sequences which were just amazing. It took a hard left into nutville at the end, though.

Recent interview with Sega's Mr. Einhorn on 8-4 Play seemed to confirm my fears there's not much life for this series... the kooky sound wave conspiracy nonsense was where Monolith wanted to go.

Who else would, and could, run with it back in the original direction? Sega owns it and could pretty easily farm it out, right...?

Shane

Second best game of last generation. Lovely stuff. Replayed it multiple times for the atmosphere and story.

I still can't believe I somehow managed to finish this game. It took me years though. I struggle with horror games, and this one freaked the crap out of me.

Monolith sure knows how to make a creepy game.

hao chi

This is such a wonderful horror game. The atmosphere are scares are top notch, and they really gave the combat an appropriate feeling of brutality.

I also surprisingly really enjoyed the story. I'm actually pretty disappointed that the second game not only fucked everything up to the point that it's probably irreparable, but did so using something that was hinted at in the first game
(the X-Rays with the black boxes over the throat).

Cajun

Neo Member
Best survival horror game of the gen, by far, and it was launch. Fantastic atmosphere, unique gameplay for the genre, interesting story that masters the art of subtlety, and it's actually scary.

The basement of the farmhouse is definitely a defining moment of the game, but I had to set my controller down during Bart's Department Store. Notice how tons of survival horror devs started putting mannequins in their games? They're copying this game.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Brilliant brilliant game. Still one of the best titles on the 360 years later and a superb PC game. I also love the sequel to bits and wish it would come to PC too even if a lot of fans hated it. Batshit mental series, just love it dearly so much.

psychotron

Played the demo after buying my first 360 and was blown away. Ran out and bought the full game and played through it many times. I would love a PS4 proper sequel, but Outlast is probably the closest we'll get to it.

It and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are the scariest games I've ever played. It's hard for me to pick a level that's the most frightening because the entire game does it so well. One of the things that stands out most for me is how the 360 version only had 970 achievements. I keep thinking I read somewhere that the other 30 were going to be added through DLC but that never happened. Anyway, a lot of people don't seem to like the sequel but I found it pretty good despite not being quite as scary as the first.

Grief.exe

Played the demo after buying my first 360 and was blown away. Ran out and bought the full game and played through it many times. I would love a PS4 proper sequel, but Outlast is probably the closest we'll get to it.

If you really like this type of fist person horror game, you should probably pick up a PC. The indie scene for this is exploding.

Check out The Forest, Daylight (coming to PS4 as well I believe), and Routine.

I loved this game so much. Seriously one of my favorite games of last gen (haven't played it in a while, but hopefully it still holds up nowadays).

I beat it once, and then had my buddy come over to play. He ended up hanging out and played it all night, and at around 4am, when room we were in was completely dark except for the TV, I noticed he was coming up on this one part that scared the shit out of me when I played (
it was right after some sort of boss fight, and there was some creepy bitch hiding in the lockers who bursts out towards you when you open the locker, expecting to find some items
). I went to go get a drink, and just waited outside the door until I heard the cue of this one part, so at that moment I burst into the room and scared the shit out of him immediately following the game scaring him. He woke up everybody in my house with screams of terror, but it was so fucking hilarious.

*Edit* Also mannequins. Fuck mannequins.

I REALLY enjoyed this game at the start of last gen. One of the first games I got alongside Kameo and a 720p "ready" HDTV as they were just barely in. I remember playing it really loud as it felt atmospheric. I bought the second one on PS3 later but didn't really enjoy it as much as the first.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Definitely had a nice atmosphere, but I didn't find it that scary, which disappointed me. I really wanted to be scared, I did my "best" (pitch dark room, headphones) but it didn't change much for me.
I think my problem was partly because it was too grounded in reality (compared to a lot of other horror games), and seems like that doesn't do it for me. Or maybe they didn't do it in a way that made me scared. I didn't really feel threatened or uncertain about anything in the game.
There were some freaky parts, but they almost always happened during investigation IIRC, and the game teaches you early that nothing can hurt you during those parts of the game.
Still, I thought it was worth a playthrough, had a rather unique setting and atmosphere, and a decent enough battle system for being melee first-person.

Condemned was one of my day 1 360 pick ups and my favourite game for the system until Gears of War launched.

I still think it was one of the best horror experiences I had last gen along with Amnesia and Siren BC.

And yes OP Chapter 9 was the best for atmosphere, the biggest jump scare was opening the locker in the high school chapter.

The basement of the farmhouse is definitely a defining moment of the game, but I had to set my controller down during Bart's Department Store. Notice how tons of survival horror devs started putting mannequins in their games? They're copying this game.

You should watch Tourist Trap lol.

Like I said in the Steam thread just now I still haven't finished this because I have MAJOR problems with the USB polling issues, which is a huge bummer. BUT I will try again (and hopefully finish it) after RE4HD and Gaucamelee

Portman

Best bum fight game ever. Get a few of em mad and move out of the way so they hit each other, then step back and let em fight. Then "congratulate" the winner.

Loved the atmosphere, game scared the hell out of me the first time I played it. Never have played the sequel, might have to hunt it down but I'll buy this to play again on the PC at that price.

psychotron

If you really like this type of fist person horror game, you should probably pick up a PC. The indie scene for this is exploding.

I seriously considered joining the master race this generation, especially with my brother being a huge pc gamer, but I can't resist new consoles. I bought PS4, XBone and even the Wii-U. Could have dumped that into a gaming rig, but oh well. I'll see what the future holds.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I can't think of a single other first person game horror that does hand to hand combat as intensely or as well as Condemned 1/2 though. The Zeno Clash games are brilliant but then they're not horrors either and Riddicks the only other one I can think of offhand and that's not horror either.

Gotham City Impostors was great tho

Condemned 2, FEAR 2 and Gotham City Impostors are all fucking great and any cunt who says otherwise gets a dropkick to the goddamn face! *rant!* ;)

Not played their MOBA though.

Sean

Banned
Such an awesome game and one of the only games that I've ever found scary.

The locker scene in the school made me nearly shit my pants.
Part where they have you zoom in on the guys face with your camera, and then suddenly he's alive and looking right in the camera and grabbing you and shit.
Wasn't expecting that at all, had to take a breather after that part.

EGM1966

Very solid title that didn't achieve its full potential IMHO, Melee was very good and the basic narrative solid enough - but it had too much melee to keep suspense up and too little investigation/downtime. The investigation segments were way to hand held as well - the player should have had far more agency and freedom to investigate.

Sequel is okay but not as good IMHO as it went even further into melee with immersion breaking QTE prompts for kills and a plot that just goes plain stupid.

But when it works (which is most of the time) Condemned : CO is great and an interesting horror/thriller title.

I just wish they'd shown more confidence in the player's maturity (damn thing was for adults after all) in terms of agency and freedom as well as having less combat and more downtime and interaction.

Grief.exe

I seriously considered joining the master race this generation, especially with my brother being a huge pc gamer, but I can't resist new consoles. I bought PS4, XBone and even the Wii-U. Could have dumped that into a gaming rig, but oh well. I'll see what the future holds.

The great thing about waiting out the next-gen consoles is PC has a compelling library of games right now, as opposed to the Xbox One and PS4 which currently have, arguably, nothing interesting. I might grab a PS4 in 2015/2016. That is without taking into account the other benefits, cheaper games, better visuals, unlimited backwards compatibility, better performance, etc.

Getting massively off topic though.

JNT

One of my favorite games last generation, with an atmosphere no other game has come even close to emulating. It's like the movie Seven and a fever dream had a child together. Weird shit is happening, and there is no apparent reason behind it. That's probably the most scary part of the game; Not knowing what the hell is going on.

There are several parts of the game that I consider to be great.
The school, the mall, the house, and the final level (not many are going to agree with me there). I especially like the house when a trail of letters lead you down to the basement. I remember just standing at the top of the basement stairs, looking down into the dark basement, and going 'fuck this, I'm not going down there. I just know there's someone down there'. Eventually, of course I did. Despite having completed the game a number of times I still hesitate going down there.

Btw, I recently played No One Lives Forever 2 and I swear that the house in mission 9 in Condemned is modeled after the house in chapter 2 in NOLF with only minor changes in layout.

OrangeOak

One of my favorite horror games of all time.Amazing sound design and atmosphere.
Level with mannequins was almost too much.
One of the games that is ten times better with headphones.

I've been playing through Outlast right now and absolutely love it, so I'm in a total horror mood. I've always really wanted to play it, but my only experience with Condemned is playing the demo of the second one (which I really liked).

I don't think there is any way for me to play though unfortunately as all I have is PS4, Vita, and a Macbook

Grisby

This was the reason I bought my 360 at launch. I was not disappointed. Still one of the creepiest games I've ever had the pleasure playing. Not only were the locations super creepy but the story was interesting and the combat packed quite a punch.

Favorite bits:
-The lunch lady
-Ethan cussing at a dude before you punched the shit out of him (execution deal)
-The basement
-menu music (minute in omg)

edit- oh yes, how could I forget about the locker.

It is a shame they stopped at 2. This was the first title I ever used surround sound speakers for. That basement level wit headphones ......my god!

JNT

I've been playing through Outlast right now and absolutely love it, so I'm in a total horror mood. I've always really wanted to play it, but my only experience with Condemned is playing the demo of the second one (which I really liked).

I don't think there is any way for me to play though unfortunately as all I have is PS4, Vita, and a Macbook

According to the Wine homepage you should be able to play this using Wine on your Macbook.

Grisby

Also, one of the best covers last gen.

2ZPsl.jpg

Those damn mannequins..

*shudders*
Aaaahhh, i forgot. Scariest part by far.

My favourite horror game of all time. I played this game back when it came out with my cousins in USA in their basement on PC at night. PERFECT setting. Playing horror games on a monitor is just perfection when you're up that close.

And then played it on my 360 a few years ago. Didn't feel as great with a controller but still had some scares and the AI is still impressive.

Holy shit, I just found my old Gamespot review back in 2007 haha. Back when I loved using "visceral". Still stand by my original thoughts.

I bought the Steam version last year but didn't go for a third playthrough. Thanks for this thread, might do now.

I had such a geek out moment when I saw a favourite moment from Condemned pop up in Spec Ops The Line (SPOILERS), and then was awesome finding out that some of the developers worked on these games too.

Really excellent game with great ideas that should have got a much better sequel. I always wanted a reboot of it in rural Louisiana (or just the deep south in general) with the supernatural elements taken out or at least pared back, but now we have True Detective to fill that psychosphere.

And yeah,
the locker
is the greatest jump scare in gaming.

soultron

Banned
One of the best horror games I've ever played on a console. Very unnerving atmosphere because of the intelligent NPC behaviours and (combined with) excellent sound design. Losing sight of an NPC and then hearing steadily increasing heavy breathing as they hide at a corner you're approaching, while they lay in wait for you, is terrifying.

Easily recommendable. C1 is probably my favourite XBOX360 launch title, looking back at it.

Play with surround sound if you can, lights turned off.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Such a great game. Didn't get on with the sequel at all, unfortunately which was a huge bummer. All the neat things I liked about the first were missing :(

Top Bottom