• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Discuss the Future of the Yakuza Series

Kazza

Although still not exactly a blockbuster title in the West, Yakuza is no longer just a hidden gem, and is far from the dark days when Yakuza 5 was released only as a result of an online Sony campaign (and even then, it only got a digital release). In fact, what was once thought of even by the developers themselves as a game purely made for the Japanese market is now selling as many copies in the US alone as inside its home market.

DEF674758C03BEA90DA532D98B45C0844A515074

So, where does the series go from here? Let's discuss!

Will Yakuza ever be ported to Xbox?

giphy.gif

Although the series has now been ported to two non-Sony platforms (the PC and Wii U), Sega has so far given no concrete indication of an Xbox port. Although some people say Japanese games don't have much of an fanbase on Xbox, that hasn't stopped Sega porting some very Japanese-ish games recently (including Resonance of Fate and Valkyria Chronicles 4), so I don't see that as the principal reason. The series creator, Nagoshi, has previously stated that Sony were the only platform owner to give their support when they were initially pitching the series, so there might be some Yakuza-like loyalty involved here. While I hope it will get ported, it doesn't seem likely right now.

Will Yakuza ever be ported to Switch?

giphy.gif

Again, their has been no solid indication that Yakuza will ever be ported to Switch, but at least Nintendo have the advantage of have had Yakuza games on one of their systems before (Yakuza 1 & 2 HD on Wii U). However, this may actually be a curse as that port apparently bombed, and bombed hard! Another problem is the perception that Nintendo consoles tend to be very kid-orientated, but the success of games such as Doom suggest that there is an mature market there. Lastly, there is the issue of the relative weakness of the Switch hardware. Dragon Engine games (such as Y6 and Y2 Kiwami) are already at 30 fps on PS4, so there's little chance a viable Switch port of those. Yakuza 0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4 and 5 however were all originally on PS3, so ports are technically possible. Leaving out 2 would be a little awkard, but I suppose they could use the Wii U version from the HD collection, although porting what is essentially a PS2 game would be a little jarring. In its favour, at least Nintendo are sometimes considered (not least by themselves) to not be in direct competition with Sony, so the whole loyalty to Sony thing might not be as much of an issue.

Given all this, I'm more hopeful for a Switch port than I am of an Xbox one.

Future of Yakuza on PC

giphy.gif

The Yakuza 0 and Kiwami PC announcement was a nice surprise, but it was always uncertain how such a title would perform on PC. Thankfully, it seems to have been very successful indeed. According to Steamspy, the number of sales should be well over 200k by now, it has garnered very positive reviews and the number of peak users seems to be holding up very well (1.862 today, almost 4 months after launch). There was a sort-of leak earlier in the year indicating that Yakuza 6 would be coming to the platform too. With the performance of Zero, I'm 99% sure that all the other titles are only a matter of time. Can't wait to see the Dragon Engine at 60 fps and 4K!

Should the new Yakuza (Shin Yakuza) have an English dub?

The only Yakuza to date with an English dub was the original Yakuza 1 on PS2 way back in 2006. Although it gets a lot of criticism, I actually think it's pretty good, with a pretty impressive cast including MArk Hamill as Majima and Michael Madsen as Futoshi Shimano. Judge for yourselves in the video above, where someone has overlaid the PS2 English dub onto the new Kiwami graphics.

While I know a lot of you are like me and couldn't imagine having any other actors but the original Japanese ones vioce Kazuma and friends, there is a large section of gamers (maybe even the majority) who, for whatever reason, just will not play a foreign language sub-titled game. I feel that the Japanese only voice acting really puts a lid on how popular the series can become in the west. The new characters which will come with Shin Yakuza reboot seems like the perfect opportunity to include an English dub. The Yakuza team recently added an English dub to their relatively low budget Fist of the North Star game. Surely they can add one to the next mainline Yakuza game?

Will the spin-offs finally be released in the west?

tumblr_p4es4zgo5i1w59h6to4_r1_500.gif

Although we did get Yakuza Dead Souls in the west (a very underrated game, imo), the ones fans have been really clamouring for are Kenzan and Ishin (set in period Japan). I just want ot know WTF is going on in that gif! There is now hope, as Sega sent out a survey asking how interested customers would be in spin-off titles that had never received a western release. A similar question was previously asked about Fist of the North Star, and that was localised soon after. Fingers crossed!

Well, that's all I have to say on the subject. I'd be happy to hear anyone else's opinions, and hopefully some new info that I've missed here. Yakuza might just be my favourite series now, so here's to a bright future!

Last edited:

Kazza

I forgot, I had one last point:

Should the Yakuza series now come to an end?

Ok, I probably deserve a Kazuma slap for even saying this, but hear me out. With fast rate at which the games are now being released, there's always the danger that people will grow bored, especially considering how much they re-use assets and gameplay between entries. I have to say that, despite playing 1-5 plus Dead Souls in a 2 year period, this hasn't been the case for me at all, and each trip to Kamurocho seems like a nostalgic trip home rather than a lazy re-use of assets.

My biggest issue is the fact that the Yakuza franchise has kept Sega's most talented team too busy to make games for any of Sega's other IPs, or from creating new IPs (apart from the very good, but commercially unsuccessful, Binary Domain). Nagoshi himself has been involved in these great games, and it's a bit of a shame that he doesn't get the chance to do much else other than Yakuza these days:
That said, so long as the team keep producing great quality games, I won't be complaining too much.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Great post 🙂 I just started Yakuza 6 this morning coincidentally 🤗

Ill be honest, bought into the hype and bought Yakuza 0. I hated it. Now that Kiwami 1 was free I decided to try it again and fell in love with the game and am looking forward to play the rest. But I honestly wonder for those that played these games in order, do you get burnt out because it seems they deliver these games so fast that they dont differ from eachother too much. You would think by the 6th itteration the game would open up more, not again a blank wall fest in a little city hub. Now that all are coming to PS4, Im happy to play them all for the story but I really couldnt care less about the little dance off games, racing RCs etc.

If they actually gave 2-3 year development between each game, we should be seing bigger improvements. I actually think theres way too many little things to do which sounds great on paper but then the sidequests suffer because maybe 30% are fun. the rest is just fetch quests (get me a tissue to wipe my ass).

Last edited:

Kazza

I wasn't really satisfied with this gif. Ideally, I would have liked to stuck the Xbox symbol over Kazuma's face and the PS4 one over Majima's, but it was the best I could do without access to Photoshop. If anyone has the time and skills to do it properly, then I would happily replace it in the original post.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kazza

Ill be honest, bought into the hype and bought Yakuza 0. I hated it. Now that Kiwami 1 was free I decided to try it again and fell in love with the game and am looking forward to play the rest.

It's strange you fell in love with Kiwami while you couldn't get into Zero. Most people have the opposite reaction. Is there anything you prefer about Kiwami, or do you think you just happened to be in the right kind of mood when you played Kiwami?

You would think by the 6th itteration the game would open up more, not again a blank wall fest in a little city hub. Now that all are coming to PS4, Im happy to play them all for the story but I really couldnt care less about the little dance off games, racing RCs etc.

I think one of the unique things about Yakuza is the small but deep open world, so I wouldn't want this to change. I get the thing with the invisible walls, but I can't think of a better solution, apart from putting actual walls around Kamurocho, which would be a little weird.

If they actually gave 2-3 year development between each game, we should be seing bigger improvements. I actually think theres way too many little things to do which sounds great on paper but then the sidequests suffer because maybe 30% are fun. the rest is just fetch quests (get me a tissue to wipe my ass).

I would actually like this to happen too. To be fair, it looks like Yakuza 7 (Shin Yakuza) will be getting a two year development cycle, so this might be improving. They have Judge Eyes to fill in the gap (which I assume is being developed by a different team within the studio). Still, I would have preferred a new location outside of Kamurocho for the two new titles.

Halo0629

Love yakuza series and zero is definitely still one of my fav ps4 game up to date. Was there any word when will kiwami get a release date on steam?

Last edited:

Kazza

This is just a dream, but I would love a Yakuza-style game set in Europe, North America or China. For example, let a team in Europe use the Dragon Engine, hand them a few programmers form the Yakuza team and a team of western writers. Set the game in Amsterdam (a nice red light district there, just like in Kamurocho), with side cities including Hamburg (red light again) and maybe London/Paris. All new western characters. Shit would be amazing!

Kazza

Love yakuza series and zero is definitely still one of my fav ps4 game up to date. Was there any word when will kiwami get a release date on steam?

They said before the end of the year, so hopefully next month. I think they'll just spring it on us and say "It's out now". Some people did experience crashing with Zero, so maybe they're doing some extra work to make sure it launches smoothly.

Pallas

Gold Member
Kazza Kazza

I enjoyed the first two Yakuza games on the PS2, unfortunately those were the only two have played.

On another note, have you read the article that interviewed Daisuke Sato who discusses about spreading Yakuza to an even bigger audience? If not, it mentions potential X1 and Switch releases.

They seem like they would be open to
It, even Shenmue 1&2 was released on the X1(it skipped the Switch though)

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/yakuza-...itch-xbox-one-yakuza-0-2-binary-domain-2-more

Halo0629

They said before the end of the year, so hopefully next month. I think they'll just spring it on us and say "It's out now". Some people did experience crashing with Zero, so maybe they're doing some extra work to make sure it launches smoothly.
Nice... I do hope after kiwami they will also announce kiwami 2 for steam.

Kazza

Kazza Kazza

I enjoyed the first two Yakuza games on the PS2, unfortunately those were the only two have played.

On another note, have you read the article that interviewed Daisuke Sato who discusses about spreading Yakuza to an even bigger audience? If not, it mentions potential X1 and Switch releases.

They seem like they would be open to
It, even Shenmue 1&2 was released on the X1(it skipped the Switch though)

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/yakuza-...itch-xbox-one-yakuza-0-2-binary-domain-2-more

Thanks, I hadn't seen that interview before. This quote:
“To be realistic about what happened, Yakuza 1&2 HD for Wii U was a huge failure. But we are always looking to develop for multiple platforms as much as possible and know that brings in a greater audience to attract more people. However, as far as Switch is concerned, I’m convinced that it isn’t the ideal platform on which to develop Yakuza games. Maybe people don’t expect this kind of game on Switch. Maybe they’re used to different games. It may not be the ideal platform. As for Xbox One, we can consider it, knowing that Xbox One users may be more likely to be interested in a game like Yakuza. This could potentially be an option.”
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/07/yakuza-...-0-2-binary-domain-2-more#zs96xGsVpwGXZ6RV.99

It seems my analysis is probably incorrect and that an Xbox release is more likely than a Switch one.

Kazza

Nice... I do hope after kiwami they will also announce kiwami 2 for steam.

It'll be interesting to see in what order they will release the games for the PC: chronologically or by PS4 release date. I'm for chronological oder personally, but I think it'll be by PS4 release date (so Y0, Y1K, Y6, Y2K, and then the remasters of 3, 4, and 5)

Senhua

If the Sony new policy still persist (like we all can see at Yakuza 3 remaster), that above gif will NEVER appear at the future Yakuza installment at Playstation. And without their "signature" of the adult humor and playstation exclusive only, I doubt the future series will reach the same of 0 height.
Maybe it still can If the series go multiplatform with simultaneously release date on ALL platform, but I doubt SEGA will deliberately gimp the PS4 version in favor of the others not like we see at the new Senran kagura games at Switch.
31083499477_e960769621_z.jpg

No one in the sane mind will buy (self) censored male adult oriented games nor the feminist too so yup I foresee if RGG studios cannot find something to the substitute their "signature" of the adult humor to comply the Sony policies as soon as possible, Yakuza series we all know will die .

Last edited:

Kazza

If the Sony new policy still persist (like we all can see at Yakuza 3 remaster), that above gif will NEVER appear at the future Yakuza installment at Playstation. And without their "signature" of the adult humor and playstation exclusive only, I doubt the future series will reach the same of 0 height.
Maybe it still can If the series go multiplatform with simultaneously release date on ALL platform, but I doubt SEGA will deliberately gimp the PS4 version in favor of the others not like we see at the new Senran kagura games at Switch.
31083499477_e960769621_z.jpg

No one in the sane mind will buy (self) censored male adult oriented games nor the feminist too so yup I foresee if RGG studios cannot find something to the substitute their "signature" of the adult humor to comply the Sony policies as soon as possible, Yakuza series we all know will die .

That's a super-depressing thought that I hadn't considered. I hope that Sony would give some additional leeway to a bigger publisher such as Sega. Thank god for PC.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how the Yakuza games have managed to avoid criticism from the usual "social justice" crowd. Even the folk on the other forum seem to give it a pass, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's Japanese? Anyway, I hope that it keeps under the radar.

Humdinger

Nice work on the OP. I don't have an informed opinion on any of these issues myself, since I've only played Zero and Kiwami so far, but I really enjoy the games. I trust that they are bringing Yakuza 3 to 5 to the West eventually.

Senhua

That's a super-depressing thought that I hadn't considered. I hope that Sony would give some additional leeway to a bigger publisher such as Sega. Thank god for PC.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised how the Yakuza games have managed to avoid criticism from the usual "social justice" crowd. Even the folk on the other forum seem to give it a pass, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's Japanese? Anyway, I hope that it keeps under the radar.
The first test will be Judge Eyes though, how much the dev can cope with the policy without sacrificing what fans likes.

Last edited:
Kazza Kazza

I never played Yakuza before 0 so I think I just had certain expectations. I thought it was much more free roam, i wasnt ready for the constant street fights every time i make a corner etc. The mainline story really did get me interested but then there was so much side stuff to do in order to continue tue story that is got bored. Pretty much just didn't get the game at the time.

So when Kiwami showed up it was free so i thought ill just give it a short spin and delete it. But this time i knew what a Yakuza game is so i think i judged it less and went in more for the story. Now i wish to own all of them when they all do arrive :)

FMbarbarian

I just finished Yakuza 6 last night. I’d love the series to continue with a different protagonist, in a different city, but keeping the small open environment style. I’d love to see Kenzan and Ishin get a western release.

Elfstar

Right now, RGG has finally managed to reach a decent niche status, Yakuza 0 has been an outstanding entry point for many people that fell in love with it, but then they released way, way too many games in an extremely short timespan, and people started to feel either burned out or intimidated and confused again by how many sequels and spin-offs there were.

So, i think that most of the series' future depends on how well they'll be able to handle Shin Yakuza, from both the marketing and the game itself point of view. They need to put it out on the market at the right moment, and they need to nail the new protagonist and his story, while luckly the Dragon Engine will make it feel less like a Ps2 game in disguise and more like a modern production, because Sega definitely needs to set a new, shiny entry point for newcomers, a completely new start for a new series.

If they succeed in doing so, then Yakuza will have the potential to reach Nier Automata/Persona 5 category of sales and recognition status.

About the series becoming multiplatform, i think its future will still be on Playstation, Steam and maybe Xbox if it becomes big and successful enough. Thankfully they at least started to consider PC as a viable platform, but as always, it will be mainly rooted on Sony's hardware.

And i don't think we'll see many censorship controversies, simply because Sega's current policy is the same that Nintendo and the other big Japanese publisher are slowly adopting, to just self-regulate the content of their producion during the development itself.

Should the series actually end? I don't know, honestly. I love it, but you can't deny how much it's monopolizing one of the very few big, talented console-dedicated internal Japanese development team still left in Sega, and i would really like to see Nagoshi and his studio to finally make a completely new game.

My favorite series of all time.
Started with the series when i bought Yakuza 2 about 10 or 9 years ago.
I find Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 6 to be the best games in the series.

What i hope for the future of the series is that they stick to a single protagonist, i feel the stories are way better when Kiriyu is in focus, instead of having 4 playable characters in a game, (Tanimura and Shinda's stories are total garbage)

Also i am totaly burnt out from the remakes, (Mainly due to what Elfstar says too many games in a short timespan.) So i will not even play Judge Eyes.
Kiwami's biggest mistake was the inclusion of Majima Everywhere, trying to shoehorn him in to please fans of 0. They should be kept authentic as 3-5 will be.

But yes i am super looking forward to Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku, total opposite of Kiryu and also a single protagonist. It's bound to be fresh and good.

Kazza

Right now, RGG has finally managed to reach a decent niche status, Yakuza 0 has been an outstanding entry point for many people that fell in love with it, but then they released way, way too many games in an extremely short timespan, and people started to feel either burned out or intimidated and confused again by how many sequels and spin-offs there were.

So, i think that most of the series' future depends on how well they'll be able to handle Shin Yakuza, from both the marketing and the game itself point of view. They need to put it out on the market at the right moment, and they need to nail the new protagonist and his story, while luckly the Dragon Engine will make it feel less like a Ps2 game in disguise and more like a modern production, because Sega definitely needs to set a new, shiny entry point for newcomers, a completely new start for a new series.

If they succeed in doing so, then Yakuza will have the potential to reach Nier Automata/Persona 5 category of sales and recognition status.

About the series becoming multiplatform, i think its future will still be on Playstation, Steam and maybe Xbox if it becomes big and successful enough. Thankfully they at least started to consider PC as a viable platform, but as always, it will be mainly rooted on Sony's hardware.

And i don't think we'll see many censorship controversies, simply because Sega's current policy is the same that Nintendo and the other big Japanese publisher are slowly adopting, to just self-regulate the content of their producion during the development itself.

Should the series actually end? I don't know, honestly. I love it, but you can't deny how much it's monopolizing one of the very few big, talented console-dedicated internal Japanese development team still left in Sega, and i would really like to see Nagoshi and his studio to finally make a completely new game.

I agree with most of what you wrote there. If Sega want to move this series from being a successful niche series to a mainstream success (like Nier Automata and Persona 5), then they need to have an English dub and also actually put some money into marketing the product (which I haven't seen Sega do for a long time). A simultaneous multi-plat wouldn't hurt either, although Persona 5 did fine without it.

Kazza

My favorite series of all time.
Started with the series when i bought Yakuza 2 about 10 or 9 years ago.
I find Yakuza 3 and Yakuza 6 to be the best games in the series.

What i hope for the future of the series is that they stick to a single protagonist, i feel the stories are way better when Kiriyu is in focus, instead of having 4 playable characters in a game, (Tanimura and Shinda's stories are total garbage)

Also i am totaly burnt out from the remakes, (Mainly due to what Elfstar says too many games in a short timespan.) So i will not even play Judge Eyes.
Kiwami's biggest mistake was the inclusion of Majima Everywhere, trying to shoehorn him in to please fans of 0. They should be kept authentic as 3-5 will be.

But yes i am super looking forward to Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku, total opposite of Kiryu and also a single protagonist. It's bound to be fresh and good.

Although I'm looking forward to Shin Yakuza, I'm a little disappointed with how similar the background of the new protagonist is to Kazuma - both orphans, both returning to Kamurocho after a spell in prison etc. That said, very little information has been released so far, so I won't be too quick to judge.

kunonabi

I'm hoping it goes multiplat because I won't be buying any more Yakuza games on Sony hardware after I pick up Kiwami 2. Shame too since I like the look of the new protagonist.

Kazza

Some news:

Firstly, it looks like the release of Kiwami 1 on PC is imminent. Secondly, we have a Yakuza-related announcement coming from Sega at the Kinda Funny Games Showcase on December 8th

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You know what. You’ve convinced us. Sure!</p>&mdash; SEGA ( S Sega ) <a href="">27 November 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Of course, the second one could just be the official announcement of the Kiwami release date, but I hope it's something more substantial (such as an announcement for Yakuza 6 on PC)

Fbh

Some news:

Firstly, it looks like the release of Kiwami 1 on PC is imminent. Secondly, we have a Yakuza-related announcement coming from Sega at the Kinda Funny Games Showcase on December 8th

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">You know what. You’ve convinced us. Sure!</p>&mdash; SEGA ( S Sega ) <a href="">27 November 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Of course, the second one could just be the official announcement of the Kiwami release date, but I hope it's something more substantial (such as an announcement for Yakuza 6 on PC)

"We are bringing Yakuza Ishin to the west on Ps4 and PC...out NOW!!!!!"

It's probably going to be Kiwami 1 on PC

The only future about Yakuza I care about right now is the Kiwami Pc release date. I just finished up 0 on PC and I’m ready for more.

Granted I have 0, Kiwami and 6 on PS4 but after coming to steam I don’t care to play them on PS4.

Kazza

Well, now that Judge Eyes (or Judgement, as the official English name now is) has been confirmed as having an English dub, I think it's safe to say that all other Yakuza games (Shin Yakuza etc) will also have an English dub option going forward. Even though I'll be sticking to the Japanese dub, I think this is a positive step, which will help introduce the games to a new audience.

Kazza

Well, they couldn't be any clearer than that. I think Yakuza would have more traction on Xbox than other games that Sega has already ported (VK4, Shenmue etc).

Personally speaking, I'm just happy they have started porting the series to PC. It seems to be doing really well there. steamspy has the number of sales as between 200k and 500k for Yakuza 0, but it's been like that for a long time, so hopefully it's closer to 500k than 200k at this point. Max number of concurrent players still hovers between 1000+ to 2000+. I just hope that 6 and Kiwami 2 will get unlocked framerates too.

Kazza

I was just browsing throw the steam threads for Kiwami (due to release the day after tomorrow), when I came across a poster called Sandoval claiming to know more detailed sales figures from steamspy (he says he's a Patreon, and so is privy to more info). According to him, Yakuza 0 has sold 341k copies. He also stated sales figures for other Sega games as a comparison. I don't think this kind of second-hand info is worth its own thread, so I'll just post the figures below:

Sonic Forces - 127,000
Sonic Mania - 170,000
Shenmue I & II - 26,000
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - 59,000

The figures for Mania and Forces are alarmingly close (Forces released 3 months later, so Mania had a head start). Since Forces sells for over double the price, it looks as though it made more money for Sega than Mania did :messenger_face_screaming: (on steam, at least)

Getting back to Yakuza, hopefully Kiwami will have similar sales performance to 0, and so ensure that we see the Dragon Engine games ported over.

Kazza

Sega has done another of those funny live broadcasts they do, and Gematsu has provided a useful summary of some interesting titbits about the upcoming Yakuza 7 and the PS5 from Yakuza director Nagoshi:

Regarding the New Yakuza Game Starring Ichiban Kasuga

• The story is finally done.
  • We’re now in the recording stages, and most of the main parts are recorded.
  • This time is going to be amazing as well. There are some unexpected people cast that are sure to surprise people.
  • I was surprised with how much these casts fit in their roles.
  • The new protagonist, Ichiban Kasuga, talks way more than Kiryu, and has different motivations for his actions. Therefore the overall feeling of the story is different, as well as the gameplay. It feels fresh in many ways. I really want to share more soon. Its tough but development has been smooth.

PlayStation 5

• Even after PlayStation 5 is released, I think PlayStation 4 is going to be the main focus for a while longer.
  • The processing power of PlayStation 5 is incredible, so when we try to think of new gameplay that will utilize its full potential, I’m not really sure which aspects of existing mechanics we should translate.
  • First there was a time when graphics improved, then there was network features, and now I guess you can say its a return to the “programmable” era? I think artificial intelligence and machine learning will continue to evolve.
  • If you would pour its power into graphics it’ll be the best that we’ve yet to see, and I think everyone is thinking about in what way we should use that power. I as well. There’s artificial intelligence and many other things I want to think about.

Last edited:

Kazza

With the story complete and most of the main parts already recorded, it's possible that the new mainline Yakuza will be released in Japan by the end of the year, with a western release the following spring. With Judgment already including many new mechanics to the usual brawling and mini-game action, I wonder how fresh this new game can be.

Interesting comments about PS5. Since Sega did lots of PS3/PS4 crossports back when the PS4 was still new (Persona 5, Yakuza 0 etc), I think it's safe to say we're in for the same with the PS4/PS5 too. Although this might mean less ambitious graphics, at least it will guarantee 60fps. I'm looking forward to seeing how hard they can push the dragon engine (which already looks great on PC).

Regarding the use of the power of PS5, I really hope that Sega (and other developers) do devote a significant proportion to improving AI, rather than just pouring it in to more impressive graphics.

Kazza

As an aside, this year's E3 PC Gaming Show will take place on June 10th. At last years show they announced Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, so it's possible we'll get news about PC ports of 3/4/5/Judgment. Fingers crossed!

Kazza

Lastly, WTF is up with those Sega broadcasts? They've got these two fat Majima/Kiryu cosplayers on drinking cocktails. I look forward to watching these once I learn a little Japanese.

hjLDPJ3.png

mejin

As an aside, this year's E3 PC Gaming Show will take place on June 10th. At last years show they announced Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, so it's possible we'll get news about PC ports of 3/4/5/Judgment. Fingers crossed!

They didn't mentioned the remasters to ps4 yet. And Judgment will launch later in june. So, we know they will come to pc, but announcement should come later.

jonnyp

Aaargh, when will Yakuza 3/4/5 come to PS4 in the West? I have now completed Yakuza Kiwami 1, 2 and 0 in quick succession and just bought Judgment but I have a deep need to continue the Kiryu story damnit!

Kazza

Aaargh, when will Yakuza 3/4/5 come to PS4 in the West? I have now completed Yakuza Kiwami 1, 2 and 0 in quick succession and just bought Judgment but I have a deep need to continue the Kiryu story damnit!

We will probably get an announcement at the Tokyo Game Show, Sept 12-15. With Judgment out of the way, announcements of 3-5 can't be too far off. Maybe it will be a 3 in 1 package.

I really hope the next Yakuza game has an English dub. I am LOVING Judgment. It’s my GOTY, actually. Please guys, give us a dub. I just can’t get into the games as much as I want to without a dub. I feel bad for saying that because people like to shit all over dub lovers like me, but that’s just my personal preference. Same goes for the anime I watch. Just can’t do subs.

Last edited:

Kazza

I really hope the next Yakuza game has an English dub. I am LOVING Judgment. It’s my GOTY, actually. Please guys, give us a dub. I just can’t get into the games as much as I want to without a dub. I feel bad for saying that because people like to shit all over dub lovers like me, but that’s just my personal preference. Same goes for the anime I watch. Just can’t do subs.

Haha, you have nothing to feel bad about, that's the reason Sega finally decided to include an English dub in the first place. Since their two most recent Yakuza games (Fist of the North Star and Judgment) both had English dubs, I think it's likely that Shin Yakuza will have one too (unless it turns out that Judgemnt sold really badly in the West, which I don't think is true)

Yeah, I really hope Judgment has sold and continues to sell well in the West. I haven’t finished it yet, but the game is a masterpiece. I really do love it. I want sequels out the ass. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for dubs in future Yakuza games. If they do include dubs in the new Yakuza games, I will definitely be picking them up day one. I love this studio. They make fantastic video games.

Virex

Banned
Don't really care. As long as they still release in English I'll buy the games on whatever system they are available. Don't care about what platform it's on. Platform wars and exclusivity really doesn't matter to me

Top Bottom