• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets discuss this punch in Chicago.

• Thread starter Deleted member 713885
  • Start date

mr2xxx

Banned
Papa Papa
If a racist takes the fast-pass to Dreamsville means I don't have principals, it's fine my vote still counts the same.

Last edited:
Let's not because looking at a single incident or the reaction to said incident implies that those involved represent some majority of people when, in either case, these are extreme examples of human behavior and don't represent the rest of us. Why do we keep taking extreme examples of things and try to pretend they apply to the rest of society when they don't?

Because "fighting back" is considered cool and edgy and it's also because those supporting it don't have to deal with the courts and punishments like those who do it will face...and they won't have to face the potential job loss or difficulty to get a job that will happen from having an assault on your record.

In the end, if someone says something racist and you respond with violence, then you are being every bit the animal that the racist thinks you are. You simply justify their perceptions and make them stronger. In the late 60's black people rioted in multiple cities and it set back their movements for years and decades since it just renewed this perception that they're criminals and animals. This is the same thing on a smaller scale. Acting to racism with anger and violence will only get you more and return. It never helps things.

If people stopped reacting to and ignored such slurs then those slurs would lose power. But as long as people continue to flip out, get violent and throw tantrums over simple name-calling, then will always get more of it. They're just giving the racists the reaction they want to see.

But, no, this isn't cool or hip so reacting with anger is cheered and supported, despite the fact that it never works to solve everything. Great job, millenials.

I'm gonna have to disagree.

I think it's glossing over some pretty awful patches in history to say that riots "set back their movements". This extends far beyond the realms of "simple name-calling", and to refer to either one of these points in history, the riots or the reaction to the n-word, as going too far is just tunnel vision on a level that's hard to try and explain to someone.

Violence has practical and effective uses in history. Acting like it doesn't is part of the problem. Because you're effectively making a choice to continue not listening...which is part of the reason why riots and violent outbursts happen in the first place. This isn't some new phenomenon that's happened in the past decade. This is a word that has been used for hundreds of years to disparage an entire race of people. And black people are consistently put into this purgatorial choice where passive response is unfairly reprimanded and aggressive response puts onlookers in this awkward self-appointed mindset where they think they can claim that as validation for everything we've held as repugnant stereotypes (that they're nothing more than animals) for centuries.

I think it falls on white people to stop being fucking idiots. This is a tired conversation. It's long been established that this word is in no way appropriate or funny or lighthearted. Black people are tired of asking when it's going to be over and done with. They've asked politely, they've asked violently, for centuries, and for some people...nothing changes. At this point, who gives a fuck what the racist thinks? Why should that guy stop to think about the perception that this man holds? Why should he harbor any respect for his opinion of him when it's abundantly clear that it won't be reciprocated?

The violence doesn't prove anything that the racist white dude thinks of him. The punch was a very clear "this is really old hate that my ancestors, my brothers, my sisters have dealt with all our lives and I want to shut you up as fast as I can because I'm really tired of seeing nothing happen". And you know what? He got, just for a moment, a bit of silence. And he got to be the one to make it happen.

I say good on him.

Papa

Banned
Papa Papa
If a racist takes the fast-pass to Dreamsville means I don't have principals, it's fine my vote still counts the same.

That's fine, that's your right to think that, but it means you lose credibility and I won't take your opinions seriously in future.

I'm gonna have to disagree.

I think it's glossing over some pretty awful patches in history to say that riots "set back their movements". This extends far beyond the realms of "simple name-calling", and to refer to either one of these points in history, the riots or the reaction to the n-word, as going too far is just tunnel vision on a level that's hard to try and explain to someone.

Violence has practical and effective uses in history. Acting like it doesn't is part of the problem. Because you're effectively making a choice to continue not listening...which is part of the reason why riots and violent outbursts happen in the first place. This isn't some new phenomenon that's happened in the past decade. This is a word that has been used for hundreds of years to disparage an entire race of people. And black people are consistently put into this purgatorial choice where passive response is unfairly reprimanded and aggressive response puts onlookers in this awkward self-appointed mindset where they think they can claim that as validation for everything we've held as repugnant stereotypes (that they're nothing more than animals) for centuries.

I think it falls on white people to stop being fucking idiots. This is a tired conversation. It's long been established that this word is in no way appropriate or funny or lighthearted. Black people are tired of asking when it's going to be over and done with. They've asked politely, they've asked violently, for centuries, and for some people...nothing changes. At this point, who gives a fuck what the racist thinks? Why should that guy stop to think about the perception that this man holds? Why should he harbor any respect for his opinion of him when it's abundantly clear that it won't be reciprocated?

The violence doesn't prove anything that the racist white dude thinks of him. The punch was a very clear "this is really old hate that my ancestors, my brothers, my sisters have dealt with all our lives and I want to shut you up as fast as I can because I'm really tired of seeing nothing happen". And you know what? He got, just for a moment, a bit of silence. And he got to be the one to make it happen.

I say good on him.

So you're saying I can punch a British person for my Irish kin were put to death in the fields. Gotcha.

Or... you can get out of here with that romanticized bullshit.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
If you'd rather focus on your feelings toward me than what I present that's fine, you do you.

Haha why do you types always try to turn your own fallacies onto the other side? Projection? If you think what I said is prioritising feelings over fact, you do not understand what feelings or facts are.

mr2xxx

Banned
Haha why do you types always try to turn your own fallacies onto the other side? Projection? If you think what I said is prioritising feelings over fact, you do not understand what feelings or facts are.
all this because..... a racist gets knocked and I’m not compassionate 😂. We are not even arguing anything, I’m here just laughing at this guy. I don't take you seriously but I never needed to announce it. Just move on.

Papa

Banned
all this because..... a racist gets knocked and I’m not compassionate 😂. We are not even arguing anything, I’m here just laughing at this guy. I don't take you seriously but I never needed to announce it. Just move on.

lol ok champ. Why do you think I'm asking you to be compassionate? Advocating against violence and asking you to be compassionate are not the same thing.

Barsinister

Banned
I have thought about this a great deal more since I last posted. I will give some of you your due. I have known contentious objectors, and Jehovah's Witnesses in my time. My best pal is a JW. He would not take up arms against a person, even for his family. I can see how some of you might feel the way you do about violence. After all, if I call you a name in a language that you don't know, did I harm you? Did it even register? I am sorry if I caused any bad blood.

Last edited:

BraveOne

😂😂😂

No, that’s what you and Cauliflower showed us repeatedly.

Brits enslaved the Irish for 3 centuries and had them persecuted for another 100 years . In which time they where denied housing, education , jobs and land. Then they where murdered in mass because of the colour of their skin and called a derogotory term based on their color of their skin that was used to degrade and oppress them..

Damn did not know the Irish got it that bad from the Brits.

Side note from my sarcasm, i know the struggle Irish had to endure in the UK and the US but lets not even attempt to think its on the same level of the Transatlantic Slave trade.

And it missed the point with the poster because he needs to jump into the oppression Olympics right away and does not attack the argument instead he/she/them makes a statement based on Whatabout

Last edited:

Dunki

Brits enslaved the Irish for 3 centuries and had them persecuted for another 100 years . In which time they where denied housing, education , jobs and land. Then they where murdered in mass because of the colour of their skin and called a derogotory term based on their color of their skin that was used to degrade and oppress them..

You do not need to have a different skin color to. Experience this at all Turks killed millions of Armenian. Irish experienced the same. Jewish people were hunted for 3000 years now. Stop making this about skin color

Last edited:

BraveOne

You do not need to have a different skin color to. Experience this at all Turks killed millions of Armenian. Irish experienced the same. Jewish people were hunted for 3000 years now. Stop making this about skin color

I never made that point as you can read from my post. And this is about skin colour thats the whole point of this thread.

Side note from my sarcasm, i know the struggle Irish had to endure in the UK and the US but lets not even attempt to think its on the same level of the Transatlantic Slave trade.

And it missed the point with the poster because he needs to jump into the oppression Olympics right away and does not attack the argument instead he/she/them makes a statement based on Whatabout

The only thing I'd change about this post is changing the first paragraph "were's" to "are's". That's the major distinction. This is still happening. Every day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom