• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's guess the Oculus Rift price and reaction to said price

My guess is $499 based on the following:
Dev Kit: $350
Lucky's Tale + Eve: Valkyrie = $100
Xbox One controller: $59

Sure I'm just guessing on the cost of the games separate from the hardware itself, but it would be an easy way to justify the cost being $500. Personally I'm not sure I'm willing to pay over that.

The reaction will be mostly people being upset it cost so much, while more well off people tell everyone to grow up, stop complaining, "what did you expect?", and being classist, because that is how the internet works now.

The reddit AMA with Palmer will be there only to address some of the outrage / complaints.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
599 us dollars.

Them refusing to say the price until preorders makes me think its going to be higher than even the most pessimistic guesses.

YuShtink

Holding out a sliver of hope for $400-450, but I'm realistically thinking $500-550.

Anything $600 or above will suck but I quite literally don't care what the price is, I'm willing and ready to pay it.

border

They say you can pre-order tomorrow, so I would hope they have some idea about the price.

It's entirely possible to take pre-orders without a price if they're not charging anyone or asking for a deposit.

Every VR company has just been so cagey and secretive about pricing that I have a hard time believing that price info is ever coming.

YuShtink

Now that you mention it I can't find anywhere where that is confirmed. Hmmmm

I can't find the quote but I remember one of Palmer's tweets said "Price isn't coming late, the pre-order announcement just came early - a lot more info will be available Wednesday morning but I promised I would give you all the heads up" or something to that effect.

Steel

Banned
$99

Ok, $400-$450

Are we actually sure that they will have a price for us tomorrow?

They're putting up a pre-order for it tommorrow. I assume they're going to tell people how much they'll have to pay to get the hardware.

It's entirely possible to take pre-orders without a price if they're not charging anyone or asking for a deposit.

Every VR company has just been so cagey and secretive about pricing that I have a hard time believing that price info is ever coming.

I think since the market is so new any misstep can cost whoever reveals the price of their PC VR to be undercut by their rival. Sony is the only one who doesn't have to worry about this since they are a closed system and only one VR component is being released for the PS4, its either PSVR or nothing. But with PC you have the HTC:V and the OR maybe more but those are the two biggest ones.
Being secretive about the price makes sense... what doesn't make sense is saying you can pre-order tomorrow and not indicate any kind of pricing. I would even be happy with a range of pricing indicating some sort of OR Bundle.

Steel

Banned
As for reaction, I think people who haven't been following a single iota of Oculus news will be freaking out and saying its DOA.

bomblord1

Banned
$700

Mass freakout about them not understanding consumers, how stupid it is, and claims of mass market suicide by everyone who thought they were getting a $400 to play their games with.

The first page of the GAF thread will be filled with one liners like "WTF", "DOA", and "Holy Shit" aming other drive by posts it won't be until the second or third page actual discussion will start.

A few people will jump in and argue that the intent was to get the hardware in enthusiast hands first but people will drown them out saying that "in order for VR to survive it needs mass market appeal"

Dozens will cite the dev kit price as proof that they are right and it should be lower none of them understanding that in order for it to be a lower price that something will have to be compromised just like it was I'm the dev kits and their intent was to get the headset out and use the high end enthusiast money to create lower cost manufacturing and research more efficient parts.

Mark my post and refer back to it tomorrow.

The squirrel game is kind of junk, Valkyrie probably adds 20$. Xbox controller also increases the cost by about 30$.

450$ without taxes. Probably 500 Euros in Eu.

Reaction: It is not going to be successful, but that is more due to the horrible entertainment support rather than the actual price. Also because of the low sales, developers will not justify making VR based games which would lock VR into a downwards spiral.

Head.spawn

I'm hoping for $500 or under.

My credit cards reaction will be to become self-aware, slap on a postage stamp on and mail itself to Oculusland.

Top Bottom