• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's listen to every album on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
sjq6OdM.png

Didn't connect with this at all unfortunately. It felt to me like really chill background music which is fine but I wanted/needed more.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
bGOlNI3.png

I was really looking forward to listening to this one but I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll like Let's Get It On more but for now I'm not interested.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
CsgQccj.png

Loved the first half while the second half was mostly forgettable for me. I still enjoyed it though and will definitely listen to it again.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
2kHcEsJ.png

I'm really picky about jazz, I don't like most of it, and this was no exception. I listened to it all the way through but I also couldn't wait for it to be over.

Servbot24

Banned
Eh, I'm down for listening to 500 albums, but Rolling Stone is the last music publication that anyone should listen to.

darklin0

Banned
Out of the top 100 I have not listened to previously:

27. U2 the Joshua Tree
30. Joni Mitchell Blue
44. Patti Smith Horses
63. U2 Achtung Baby

Guys... I don't want to listen to U2. ]:

I need to comb through the rest but I am guessing I have listened to maybe half of these albums.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
No Sufjan Stevens whatsoever in the top 500

And Talking Heads 77 above More Songs About Buildings and Food? No Fear of Music? Please.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, all of those Talking Heads albums would make my list, too. But it's Rolling Stone's list.

Well I'd sure like to find this Rolling Stones feller, pull them aside and have a civil argument about the merits of MSABaF over 77. Boy howdy I would.

This list is full of shit. And ofcourse, anti-prog. How the hell could a top 500 list not contain Yes, Genesis or Jethro Tull? What the fuck is this shit?

When I was about 15 years old this list was useful. It introduced me to some big names. But now I see Guns n Roses above Kid A (and so many others) and that bothers me a bit.

smisk

I like this idea but I wish it had been updated more recently. A ton of my favorites are from the past 10 or even 5 years. Will probably do it though, seems like a good way to find some new music.

tchocky

Anyone here who loves Bob Dylan?

What are his best songs, so I can give him a shot?

Blowin In The Wind
Times They Are A Changin'
Masters Of War
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Maggies Farm
Like A Rolling Stone
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Just Like A Woman
Knockin On Heavens Door
Tangled Up In Blue
Hurricane
Blind Willie McTell
Things Have Changed

Anyone here who loves Bob Dylan?

What are his best songs, so I can give him a shot?

Bob Dylan is rock's best lyricist and it's not close. So, he's got a ton of songs that are worth your time. The music varies from folk-based rock, to 70s excess, to stark 90s stuff, to 00s barroom Americana so some of that choice is up to taste.

Here's a few off the top of my head, just to get you started:

more recent Dylan, Things Have Changed (ignore the silly video)

mid-period: Tangled Up in Blue

relatively early: Like A Rolling Stone

All of tchocky's list is worthwhile -- happy to see Maggie's Farm, add Tombstone Blues, too -- but don't neglect more recent stuff: Not Dark Yet, High Water ... I could go on for a while.

RoKKeR

Some of the U2 hate in here... y'all need Jesus. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby among the best albums ever recorded and saying otherwise is just...Nope.

Anywho, would actually be pretty neat to do this. Not sure I'd ever convince myself to follow through but I'll at least subscribe to the thread to follow others!

OK...so

#500 - Outkast "Aquameni". Rosa Parks is a great song. There are some cool production techniques they use that are clearly being used more nowadays and must have been kind of revolutionary at the time, but overall I found it pretty forgettable. Would probably be bumped if this were an updated list.

#499 - BB King "Live at Cook County Jail". HOLY CRAP. I'm not a blues guy, and I've even seen BB live, but wow. This is the real deal. That crowd. That interaction. That guitar. Beautiful stuff. I hope there is more blues on this list that can actually top this.

#498 - The Stone Roses "The Stone Roses". I'm very familiar with this album already, so maybe my views are biased, but I think it's probably the best British Rock album of the '90's. I love Morning Glory and Parklife, but this album feels more like a continuation of "The Soft Boys", which I love, and I'm going to guess isn't on this list. I love all the Eastern psychedelic influence, droney guitars and modern yet whimsical lyrics, but with that great rock backbeat. Still prefer the BB King album though.

Joe

OK...so

#500 - Outkast "Aquameni". Rosa Parks is a great song. There are some cool production techniques they use that are clearly being used more nowadays and must have been kind of revolutionary at the time, but overall I found it pretty forgettable. Would probably be bumped if this were an updated list.

#499 - BB King "Live at Cook County Jail". HOLY CRAP. I'm not a blues guy, and I've even seen BB live, but wow. This is the real deal. That crowd. That interaction. That guitar. Beautiful stuff. I hope there is more blues on this list that can actually top this.

#498 - The Stone Roses "The Stone Roses". I'm very familiar with this album already, so maybe my views are biased, but I think it's probably the best British Rock album of the '90's. I love Morning Glory and Parklife, but this album feels more like a continuation of "The Soft Boys", which I love, and I'm going to guess isn't on this list. I love all the Eastern psychedelic influence, droney guitars and modern yet whimsical lyrics, but with that great rock backbeat. Still prefer the BB King album though.
Very cool. Starting from 500 is probably the better way to go about it. I haven't listened to anything from the 60s or 70s so that's why I decided to start from the top since the list is top-heavy that way.

Still enjoying it a lot though.

I've already listened to a lot of this list, but I should really make it a point to hear more of it. Don't think I can tackle the whole thing, though. There's a few artists on there I just can't appreciate (I'd never be able to make it through an entire Frank Sinatra album).

HiResDes

OK...so

It's sad that those are so low, especially Stone Roses' debut I mean that's ridiculous, give me all three of those over any U2 album.

I stopped counting, pretty sure I listened to at least 50 of the records in there. On the basic text, why is Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin listed twice?

Some of the U2 hate in here... y'all need Jesus. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby among the best albums ever recorded and saying otherwise is just...Nope.

Anywho, would actually be pretty neat to do this. Not sure I'd ever convince myself to follow through but I'll at least subscribe to the thread to follow others!
I think people just rag on U2 because they don't like Bono. Or they're old.

Grew up with The Joshua Tree and I think I wouldn't be in love with music as much as I am now if that wasn't playing a lot when I was a kid.

jabuseika

I did this a while back.

I never finished it, or did it in order.

But there's a ton of albums that stuck with me, and that I still listen to.

Kamaji

Don't this list lean rockist as fuck?

Are Jackson Browne albums actually essential?
It also seems completely obsessed with the 60's and 70's canon. From what I gather there is 1 album in the top 100 that was released in the last 25 years (Kid A).

Either way. Good luck with the project :)

HotHamBoy

It's sad that those are so low, especially Stone Roses' debut I mean that's ridiculous, give me all three of those over any U2 album.

I second this.

A big problem with these lists is the ordering. Some of this just reads like they are paying lip-service.

By what metric are these albums great? Is it their place in culture, their influence on music, the impact on their era or is it considered from a modern perspective?

I know a lot of people like AC/DC but I don't see how they rank above a lot of the albums below them.

Hell, even ranking Radiohead's Amnesiac over In Rainbows seems wrong, and I fucking love Amnesiac.

Adding "Various Artists" or "Best Ofs" is kind of bullshit, too.

And *fuck* Coldplay.

n64coder

I stopped counting, pretty sure I listened to at least 50 of the records in there. On the basic text, why is Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin listed twice?

I came in to comment with this myself. From another poster, I think the second one (69) is supposed to be IV.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
how many albums on this list came out after 2000

67. Radiohead Kid A
118. Kanye West Late Registration
151. Arcade Fire Funeral
199. The Strokes Is This It
204. Bob Dylan Modern Times
225. Green Day American Idiot
244. Eminem The Marshall Mathers LP
252. Jay-Z The Blueprint
280. U2 All That You Can't Leave Behind
298. Kanye West The College Dropout
320. Radiohead Amnesiac
336. Radiohead In Rainbows
349. Jay-Z The Black Album
353. Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
361. OutKast Stankonia
371. Arctic Monkeys Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
390. The White Stripes Elephant
393. MIA Kala
395. LCD Soundsystem Sound Of Silver
430. Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend
436. Beck Sea Change
437. Lil’ Wayne Tha Carter III
451. Amy Winehouse Back to Black
457. My Morning Jacket Z
465. The Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs
466. Coldplay A Rush of Blood to the Head
481. D'Angelo Voodoo
493. Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
494. MGMT Oracular Spectacular
497. The White Stripes White Blood Cells

30 unless I missed some.

King_Moc

Banned

It's actually from the 80's. The best British Rock album of the 90's therefore continues to be either OK Computer or The Holy Bible.

It's actually from the 80's. The best British Rock album of the 90's therefore continues to be either OK Computer or The Holy Bible.

My mistake.

Carrying on. Got some real listening in yesterday:

#497 The White Stripes "White Blood Cells" - Honestly a lot better than I thought it would be. Never really been fan. Always viewed them as a bit more "style over substance" type group, but there area some good songs on there. Can I remember any of the titles? There are a few kind of throwaway songs, which you see on a lot of the bottom 10 or so albums, but I guess that's why it's in the bottom 10. But yeah, I'd give this album another spin one day.

#496 Boz Scaggs "Boz Scaggs" Really fleshed out sound to this album. It's got some really crazy guitar playing about halfway through the album, including on the EPIC 12 minute Loan me a Dime. I just looked it up and apparently the root cause of that epic guitar playing is Duane Allman's appearance on a few songs including the aforementioned. Again, maybe not the most consistent album on the list, but some very high highs.

#495 Bonnie Raitt "Give it Up" I was not expecting to enjoy that album as much as I did. A wonderful horn section, a huge variety of styles of music. I had her pegged for a more straight ahead blue-rock/southern rock belle, but the album really has more in common with a Carole King Tapestry or Sweet Baby James, or something more in that traditional early 70's singer-songwriter ilk. Beautiful voice too.

#494 MGMT "Oracular Spectacular" Fun, bouncy album. One that used to get a fair bit of playtime in our house. Yeah, I kind of like this one.

#493 Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" Good consistent album, but maybe not as many real highs as some of the others. Either way, it feels like an album that warrants a few more listens. There seems to be some depth to the songs, but I don't know, I think I just wasn't in the mood for it at the time.

#492 Eurhythmics "Touch" Really good album. You can tell that was some pretty influential shit at the time. The production all sounds very ahead of its time for 1983 and Annie's lyrics are just incredible. I hope there is more Eurhythmics on this list.

#491 Albert King "Born Under a Bad Sign" Good blues I think. As I stated earlier, I'm not much of a blues guy. I don't see this being an album I'd come back to with any regularity, but I can still tell that is does have some redeeming qualities to it.

#490 ZZ Top "Tres Hombres" Very stripped down, raw Southern Rock with top to bottom amazing guitar work. This album was obviously very influential on one of my favorite bands ever, Phish, and I can totally tell why. The songs just have lots of room to jam and ZZ Top might be one of the first bands to do it in a way that is very popular in the jam scene now. Tough to describe, but listen to the song Sheik and then listen to any Widespread Panic or moe. show and you'll see what I mean. Lots of similarities.

#489 Kiss "Destroyer" Utter garbage. 3 good songs does not a good album make. Any of the songs that aren't Detroit Rock City, Shout it out Loud or Beth, are just so terrible, and not even in a campy "so bad it's good" type way. They are just bad songs for the most part. I understand how influential KISS is, but this is the first album I've heard so far that I feel like I can definitively say does not deserve to be on this Top 500 list.

That's the one that made me stop listening last night, but I'm really excited for the next one on deck. One of my favourite albums of the 80's.

OK...so

Aquemini is one of my all-time favourites.

The Stone Roses came out in the 80's btw.

Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On
sjq6OdM.png

Didn't connect with this at all unfortunately. It felt to me like really chill background music which is fine but I wanted/needed more.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
bGOlNI3.png

I was really looking forward to listening to this one but I didn't like it at all. Maybe I'll like Let's Get It On more but for now I'm not interested.

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
2kHcEsJ.png

I'm really picky about jazz, I don't like most of it, and this was no exception. I listened to it all the way through but I also couldn't wait for it to be over.

This post is a bummer... lol

Joe

This post is a bummer... lol

It was a big bummer for me too, I wanted to like them. Sometimes I need a few listens to start to click with music so I will almost definitely give everything I don't like another chance at some point.

I did really enjoy Miles Davis - Kind of Blue right away though, that was a great surprise.

pablito

I'm in. Totally not going to get through it, but I'll do what I can. I'll start what I have on my phone already and don't have to stream. I'll try to do 5 a day. Might even update later today with a couple more.

500. Outkast - Aquemini

Ashamed to admit even though I like Outkast, I haven't done enough listens of their albums front to back. I've done at least one for every album, but I usually cherry pick my favorites and that's it. Doing this challenge got me to do another front to back, and I rediscovered songs I like a lot like Synthesizer, Mamacita and Liberation. Only criticism I have is I could do without some of the skits.

353. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

No matter what I think about Kanye, no matter that I think his fanbase overhypes the shit out of his music, this is the one. The one that to me deserves the hype and is so good that I don't care how annoying things involving Kanye can be.

304. Jeff Buckley - Grace

One of my favorite voices. He's got a unique timbre which doesn't work for everybody, but give it a shot. The vocal performances throughout this album still give me chills to this day. I still choke up every time his cover of Hallelujah comes on.

17. Nirvana - Nevermind

Nirvana could have crafted a top 5 of all time with me. The first half of the album is GOAT worthy, but it kind of drops off after Polly. The songs in the second half are still decent, but that first half kicks its ass. I usually keep the first half on repeat until Polly, and maybe throw Lounge Act in there. Still. 7 songs that I adore from an album is good.

14. The Beatles - Abbey Road

My favorite Beatles album. Before I heard this I thought they were just a cutesy poppy band like many others. I heard "I Want You" and that was enough to make me a fan. From to start to finish, I love every minute.

It was a big bummer for me too, I wanted to like them. Sometimes I need a few listens to start to click with music so I will almost definitely give everything I don't like another chance at some point.

I did really enjoy Miles Davis - Kind of Blue right away though, that was a great surprise.

Dude, you need to really stick with Jazz to really get into, and A Love Supreme is not a casual listen. Listen to it more, it's fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom