• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's listen to every album on the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All-Time list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

The Anthology of American Folk Music is one of the best "albums" I've listened to on this list.

It's a collection of 84 folk songs from 1926-1933 and it's amazing. The music is obviously dated but it's just so damn interesting to listen to.

n5P89Ka.png

Someone created a playlist of the collection on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/3twenty6/playlist/6yHprflPWiTiiVELXDIVrs

About a dozen songs appear twice on the playlist but it's the only list I can find.

Joe

Two things:

1) I enjoy Leonard Cohen a lot more than Bob Dylan, am I crazy? (I still enjoy Bob though)

2) Jeff Buckley. Holy shit right?

Joe

I actually like listening to Dylan but only when I'm in the mood for it. He's a very specific sound and if I'm not in the mood for it then it definitely gets annoying.

Joe

Almost done with the entire list and this is the first album that was completely new to me and added every song to my favorites playlist on the first listen.

tdz_I4_SW.jpg

Joe

tenor.gif

Done. Listened to every song of every album on the list.

What I liked most about it, besides discovering great music, was hearing and learning a lot of context and history of music. I started to develop a large, but very general, sense of a music timeline. It was like a crash course in Music Listening 101. Listening to music from different genres and eras helped me start to hear the influences of older music mixing and evolving within newer music.

If you're like me and haven't listened to a lot of the music on the list and you think you would enjoy listening to it then definitely do it. It was awesome and I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom