• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back on the announcement of the NX to the launch of the Nintendo Switch

Because it defeats the entire point of the Switch as far as its concept is concerned?

2DS did the same thing with 3DS and it sells like hotcakes. A Switch equivalent would limit the software library for those users, but if the hardware is popular and available, and the software is plentiful, no one will care. It's a different product in the same family of system's, made for a different audience.

Ugh this deviation isn't even that big of a deal, I didn't want to be top of the page.

Reply to post before mine: And all Switch software currently available, AFAIK, would be 100% compatible with a theoretical handheld version. Sounds like they are well on their way to consolidating their output while also being capable of releasing variants to cater to different demographics and price points.

2DS did the same thing with 3DS and it sells like hotcakes. A Switch equivalent would limit the software library for those users, but if the hardware is popular and available, and the software is plentiful, no one will care. It's a different product in the same family of system's, made for a different audience.

2DS/3DS is not a good example considering that it only took away 3D and still had the exact same hardware as a base model 3DS, whereas the Switch's concept (hybrid machine) is far more nuanced than that. It's one thing to take out a feature that doesn't really elevate gaming experience, it's another thing entirely to merge two ways of gaming into one compact system. Furthermore, taking away the 3D didn't limit the 3DS's software library like what you're proposing with the Switch (unless I'm forgetting some titles).

I don't think we're going to see traditional hardware revisions like we saw with older models as it simply does not flow well with the new concept of merging handheld and console divisions. If anything, I'm pretty confident that Nintendo will take a different approach where instead of miniaturizing or separating everything back to how it was, they will keep the same idea but make some hardware improvements based on what didn't work with the original Switch (not to mention, I really can't see how you can downsize and still have the same hardware, not taking into account stuff like screen size, how the games would look on a smaller form factor).

3DS and 2DS are different. The 3D is just pheriperal to the system. You can even turn it off and many games even skipped it.

The different price point thing can be achieved by economies of scale without modifying the whole concept of the system itself. The hybrid aspect can also theoretically already cater to the vast range of users out there because, well, it is a hybrid.

Forkball

I hypothesized a hybrid from day one.

Me said:
Third pillar? The hybrid console/handheld? Nintendo has changed in ways I would have never expected today.

I assumed it would be a hybrid/console handheld but I wasn't sure how it would exactly work. Though I did think the 3DS successor would be more similar to a PSP Go/smartphone, with the ability to play only on the touch screen or folding out the controller. I assumed Nintendo would want to cater to both smartphone gamers who play quick games with one hand and those who want more meaty handheld experiences.

As for the "tree controller" I had no idea what to think. It was so dumb it had to be true. I remember some people claiming it was 3D printed early on, but even I thought, "This may be fake, but there's no way someone just 3D printed this thing." Turns out...

ALSO, I have to give it to Nintendo for the name. I didn't see ANYBODY leak or even guess the "Switch" name until it was revealed. The name is so simple, so obvious, yet everyone missed it.

heringer

That's great and all but if you make it handheld only you can also ignore proper Joy-Con support which saves on the 3 Bluetooth chips you'd otherwise have to include, along with every "interconnecting" component on the Switch. Also no need to include a Joy-Con grip which may only cost $2 or so to make. But all that coupled with not including a $15(?) dock... That crap all adds up. Simpler is also easier for QA and results in fewer defective units, etc.

Look, maybe you don't personally want a purely handheld Switch and that's fine, but I'm not making up some wild fantasy thing that could never happen in a million years. This is an--I think--extremely reasonable product variant possibility in two to three years at a price point similar to their current handheld line. I'm not just pulling crazy wishful ideas out of the ether and my line of thinking has been supported in hundreds of posts before mine. I really don't know why you seem to think it's so outrageous.

Where did you get that I think it's outrageous? I just questioned the idea because I don't personally think it's a good one, even it's not an outlandish request. It would also completely undermine the whole point of the console, which is supposed to be a hybrid. What would they call a handheld only Switch? Don't-Switch?

It's not the same as 3DS's 3D, which never managed to be more than a gimmick. Switch proved that it's concept just plain works to people, and it's a huge part of it's appeal, unlike 3D.

Heck, I actually think a non handheld Switch would make more sense. They would be able to greatly nerf the price by removing the handheld option. I still don't think it would be a great idea, but if we're talking about a cheaper option...

ramparter

Banned
No let's look before the announcement. All the "experts" saying what the fuck is going Nintendo, it's already too late, it's another failure, they should have hyped the console already, etc. I love it when Nintendo and companies in general make a fool of those people.

edit: By experts I mean common people at forums not analysts.

It's startling to note how the final design managed to be both what many assumed (a hybrid had been kicked around as an idea since the Wii U), and yet still have surprising aspects, like the detachable Joy-cons than no one foresaw.

The speculation thread was a wild ride, all the talk of PS4 Pro power and maybe only being as powerful as an XB1 etc.

heringer

It's startling to note how the final design managed to be both what many assumed (a hybrid had been kicked around as an idea since the Wii U), and yet still have surprising aspects, like the detachable Joy-cons than no one foresaw.

The speculation thread was a wild ride, all the talk of PS4 Pro power and maybe only being as powerful as an XB1 etc.

Actually, plenty of people predicted that.

The Hermit

Don't forget the best Simpsons meme thread starting from page 62.

I concur, too much drama over what vendor Nintendo would use for the GPU and, "ARM is weak, it needs x86 to compete with PS4."

Can't believe I missed those threads. That Simpson one is brilliant.

622671.jpg

BTXsGLU.gif

The NX fake prototype I remember I didn't posted much (if ever) in that thread because it look sooo bad and unlike Nintendo. I really wish it wasn't true. Never read the tree post so I didn't lost my mind like many posters.

Aleh

I joined GAF precisely because of the NX lol
What a wild ride. Loved all the Simpson gifs.

Funny how I wasn't sold on the detachable controllers till the reveal, I thought they were a stupid idea when all we had was rumors, but I gotta admit I was very wrong

Back in the very early days of NX rumours? Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall it being touted in the way in which it's implemented. What I remember was that a home console with a portable peripheral being more accepted as a hybrid design theory, much like the WSJ report intimated.

Still don't get why people think the dock costs much. Have any teardowns indicated as much? In any case, it's something consumers appreciate unlike the gamepad or 3D and all the naming and marketing are linked to that functionality.
I don't think many predicted. It was leaked

Still don't get why people think the dock costs much. Have any teardowns indicated as much? In any case, it's something consumers appreciate unlike the gamepad or 3D and all the naming and marketing are linked to that functionality.

The USB-C and HDMI ports may be one reason why the dock is priced the way it is.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I remember getting quoted a few times saying how $299 is fine and it'll be fine, and multiple people said I was crazy and it was DOA.

Then the debate of how $249 vs $299 was the difference maker between them selling less than the Wii U vs massive home run success.

It was absolutely ridiculous.

Hilarion

The thing I found ridiculous was people insisting that a 9 month-1 year marketing campaign was necessary and announcing it 5 months before release was somehow the second coming of the Sega Saturn.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
NX was a wild ride that's for sure, made sad by the passing of Mr.Iwata.

I love my Switch and use it daily but I still can't help wonder what even a modest, modern dedicated console would have been like. While some Sony and MS fans are arguing about what is true and fake 4K some of us Nintendo fans are wondering whether the next Mario and Splatoon will be able to hit native 900p. It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Hopefully they release a more powerful, dedicated console version of Switch at some point in the next few years.

Waji

Forgetting Xenoblade 2 as a surprise in the end of your first post.
It was a big surprised for most people
who care

Looking back on that fake oval controller thing, how come so many journalists jumped on it claiming that it "matched" their "sources"? They were clearly full of shit, is that really the state gaming journalism is at?

They had heard reports saying that there were no face buttons on the NX dev kits. We later heard a report that this was accurate (can't remember where I read that now) and that early dev kits did not have the Joy-Cons.

God... Those were the days. Between trees and the people who thought Switch would be some kind of PS4-level powerhouse with at 10 hour battery I don't know who was crazier. I know I fell into the trap of just feverishly waiting for the thing to be announced, but that was about it. From formal announcement to release I've been extremely happy.

Man, I remember buying into the joint OS, separate consoles idea. And in turn, thinking that the 'traditional' console component of such would have to be the most powerful console on the market to justify it (I remember using Dragon Quest as a point of speculation). And here I am, fully onboard the 'it just needs to be powerful enough crowd because hot damn it's a cool hybrid.

rhandino

Banned
Don't forget how stupid Nintendo was for not revealing the NX at E3 2016.
The meltdowns that happened when Nintendo said that Zelda and Pokemon were the main games for their E3 still make me scream a bit.

Hell, people were saying that Nintendo should have not wasted any time with Pokemon at all lololololol

Top Bottom