• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make a Get Well card for Satoru Iwata!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know at times it can be easy to assume that the GAF in NeoGAF stands for Graphics And Framerates, but right now, I like to think it stands for Gaming And Friendship, as that's what I'm seeing in this thread. Good work everyone.

3104.gif

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Wouldn't it be easier to message the users who need a Mii, than to 'extract' them?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Here's what I got so far. Spent a lot of time trying different ideas in an attempt to figure out a theme.
Still considering making a few changes and putting on some more finishing touches.

56K/Mobile warning:

Everybody's Mii is completely visible at least twice. I added some subtle scanline textures as well as multiple cloth and wool textures, vectorised borders, and a bright color scheme that features blue and orange (as a reminder of GAF's colors).

Still need to fill up some space on the second side, as well as replace the two low quality Miis, if GAF is willing to lend a hand with those two tasks.

OMG that looks great!

I'm sorry you had to crop out the Mii. I'm going to replace it myself.
20dgmm11akx3b_normal_face.png

Here's what I got so far. Spent a lot of time trying different ideas in an attempt to figure out a theme.
Still considering making a few changes and putting on some more finishing touches.

56K/Mobile warning:

Everybody's Mii is completely visible at least twice. I added some subtle scanline textures as well as multiple cloth and wool textures, vectorised borders, and a bright color scheme that features blue and orange (as a reminder of GAF's colors).

Still need to fill up some space on the second side, as well as replace the two low quality Miis, if GAF is willing to lend a hand with those two tasks.

PM'ed the updated image to you.

random25

Gaming and Friendship? I guess that fits much better than the actual meaning of GAF. I like it :)

And great work with the progress of this project!

Chaos17

56K/Mobile warning:

I think, one side of the card is enough because I don't have any idea for the other side :x

Its nice to see some love shown for iwata.

As much as some people like to put him down, Nintendo wouldnt feel quite the same without him around.

Some years ago he said hes "a gamer at heart", and i think thats rare these days to find in a leader of the entertainment industry.

So, have a speedy recovery!

Chaos17

I'm making a cleaner version of the Kirby idea and I'm putting all the Miis we've.
There're 127 Miis!
But like you can see there're still some empty spaces.
Either more people post their Miis or I will duplicate some to fill the empty space.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think, one side of the card is enough because I don't have any idea for the other side :x
The reason we decided on two sides is because we couldn't fit all images on one card.

I'm making a cleaner version of the Kirby idea and I'm putting all the Miis we've.
There're 127 Miis!
But like you can see there're still some empty spaces.
Either more people post their Miis or I will duplicate some to fill the empty space.
doesn't show up for me...

edit: saw your PM, I appreciate the work, but I don't have time to go back and rethink the layout. My next post will be the two (almost finished) posters with explanations of exactly what it is I need to get them done.

Chaos17

The reason we decided on two sides is because we couldn't fit all images on one card.

doesn't show up for me...

edit: saw your PM, I appreciate the work, but I don't have time to go back and rethink the layout. My next post will be the two (almost finished) posters with explanations of exactly what it is I need to get them done.

No worries, at least you will have all the Miis and the cards in my Dropbox if you ever need them. ;)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Alright, this is nearly final now. I swapped the layout between the two cards, so most of the individual pictures are inside the big PET screen, and the remaining ones are on the same side as the Miis along with the added decorations. This was my original intention as it makes more sense in the context of a greeting card. One side has the personal greetings (or most of them in this case) and the back side has some cute doodles that are slightly related. The tradeoff (and reason I didn't go this way initially) is that your individual pictures had to be slightly downsized in order to fit inside the screen, meaning they are now less than the targeted 150 ppi density, hopefully all will still be legible when printed on A2 paper. I'll leave the original layout posted on this page as well, so people can compare and let me know if you wish to go with the first one instead (unfortunately, this means the current page of this thread is now several tens of megabytes large...).

The theme of the Commodore PET is an attempt to incorporate something of personal value to Iwata: it was the first computer he bought with his own money after graduating from college, and presumably where he spent many hours programming in his spare time.

The references to Kirby, Balloon fight, etc. are all video games Iwata helped develop back when he was a regular employee at HAL.

As far as what's left to do:

1. Replace the one remaining low quality Mii with a high quality version.
  2. Compose a banner or image that can fit in one of the empty corners of the second card and goes along with the theme. I'm thinking something as simple as a nice, personal blessing from all GAF, in a colorful font and framed in an appropriate shape, like a yarn flower or something.
  3. Compose something simple for the remaining corner. Doesn't have to be as big and fancy as the banner, just needs to balance out the layout.

As soon as we get these done I'll send the posters to Cheesemeister who has most graciously taken it upon himself to get them printed and delivered.

The following image had to be compressed with lossy compression in order to fit within minus.com's 15 mb size restriction. I used the highest quality JPEG for this, and the version sent to print will be a lossless PNG.

edit: updated with most recent versions, see my post below for details.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just saw the duplicate Mii. Sorry about that. Have no idea how that happened.

I notice the spacing between the newly inserted Miis doesn't quite match the rest so I could update the MIi image with them if it helps.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I just saw the duplicate Mii. Sorry about that. Have no idea how that happened.

I notice the spacing between the newly inserted Miis doesn't quite match the rest so I could update the MIi image with them if it helps.

are you referring to the images I just posted? Every Mii shows up twice or more, this was intentional in order to fill up space.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
No, referring to the Mii collage I provided as you mentioned in [post=118554494]post 547[/post]

ahh, no worries, was an easy fix. the tougher part was coming up with three extra miis to complete the row ;)

edit: speaking of which, if any GAFfer has this person's Mii, would you mind sending a picture of it my way?
Here's my contribution :)

zuempjw.jpg

Is putting some flowers is too girly ?
Works for me. How about in addition to the ones in the bottom corner, add one or two larger flowers to occupy the vacant area of the screen in that corner. That should be enough for that part. For the upper half, I'd do something different.

Once everything else is done I'll straighten it out a bit.

Chaos17

Is this what you wanted ?

I gave you the psd, it's in the Drop box link I gave you earlier and it's named "test".
Just saying this in case you want to change something about the flowers.

Head.spawn

I'm on my cell phone and can't see pics at the moment and can't really contribute, but I just wanted to say, this is really awesome of you guys.

Chaos17

Try n°2 : something more stylish but yet simple.
I did that to fill the empty spaces.

Try n°3 : something less girly and more focused on Nintendo.
All you need it to write what you want in the bubble~

I updated the psd in my Drop box file if you ever need it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Updated my previous post with the final versions of what I have time to do.

What's left is to insert some text with a general blessing/greeting in the second picture (bottom left corner), align the Miis a bit and optionally add the three Miis that were submitted late.

As before, the first picture is small enough to fit minus' 15 mb limit and is a PNG, the second is a high quality JPG.

If no updates or revisions are submitted in the next twelve hours, I'll send the uncompressed pictures to Cheesemeister.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Alright, lets get this baby out the door!

I'll be sending it to Cheesemeister in 3 hours from the time of this post.

Meanwhile, I'll be adding the four last Miis (including Cheesemeister's), and realigning the Miis.

Here's what I need from GAF:

Come up with a heartfelt, clever message, no more than a sentence long, that I can insert into the bottom left corner of the second poster.

Lets Go GAF!

一日も早いご回復を心からお祈り申し上げております。

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
We play because it's Nintendo, it's Nintendo because it's Iwata.

"Thank you for warming our hearts and bringing smiles to our faces."

It references Mr. Iwata's corporate strategy message:
These are great, I'll try to get 'em both into the poster.

一日も早いご回復を心からお祈り申し上げております。

What does it mean, and how do I get it into GIMP?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What does it mean, and how do I get it into GIMP?
Google translate: I We look sincerely pray for your recovery as soon as possible.

I'm sure you get the gist of it. You should be able to copy and paste the text. At least one can do that in Photoshop.

Alright, lets get this baby out the door!

I'll be sending it to Cheesemeister in 3 hours from the time of this post.

Meanwhile, I'll be adding the four last Miis (including Cheesemeister's), and realigning the Miis.

Here's what I need from GAF:

Come up with a heartfelt, clever message, no more than a sentence long, that I can insert into the bottom left corner of the second poster.

Lets Go GAF!

A-am I too late? <3 Satoru

13ekl9t6k0roa_normal_face.png

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Both of there are good, but I think we should include (laughs) In there somehow, cause it's kind of an Iwata trademark.

"Looking forward to plenty more laughs"?
"Wishing you plenty more laughs"?

&#19968;&#26085;&#12418;&#26089;&#12356;&#12372;&#22238;&#24489;&#12434;&#24515;&#12363;&#12425;
&#12362;&#31048;&#12426;&#30003;&#12375;&#19978;&#12370;&#12390;&#12362;&#12426;&#12414;&#12377;&#12290;

Also, is this^ a correct way to break up this sentence in two?
Don't want to count on Google for that and there are no spaces in it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom