• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Predict The First Party Launch Lineups For Wii U/PS4/Xbox 720...

pramath

Banned
Since all three new systems are launching soon (where there is smoke, there is fire, and so many rumor leaks have to mean something), I thought it would be a good idea to predict what each of the first parties would have at the launch of their new system.

At the end of the post, I will also list some token third party games that I believe will be available on all of the systems at launch:

WII U
Pikmin 3
F-Zero U
New Super Mario Bros Mii
Wii Sports 3

XBOX 720/LOOP/INFINITY
Forza 5
Perfect Dark 2
Viva Pinata Kinect
Kinect Sports Season 3

PLAYSTATION 4
God of War 4
Resistance 4
Killzone 4
Uncharted 4

Along with some token third party games that I believe will be on all three systems in their launch windows:

Call of Duty: Iron Wolf
Assassins Creed
Madden 13
FIFA 13
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Grand Theft Auto V
Ninja Gaiden III
Ridge Racer

Roto13

One or two mediocre games from each. And it will suck. And in each instance, gamers will act like it's the first time a console has ever had a poor launch library and all of their favourites all had giant libraries of great games right away.

pramath

Banned
Why both Perfect Dark and Halo on launch? I mean, I'm not complaining, but from their perspective why would it happen?
I put that there mostly because Microsoft might want to use Perfect Dark as a way to prove to core gamers that they still plan on utilizing Rare's core strengths and IPs properly

Wii u

WiiU sports
Wiiu golf separate from sports may be
Wiiu petz( I really think they will do something like this since there is touch interface. )
WiiU augumented reality game( downloadable)

pramath

Banned
So are new IPs a last gen feature?

Eh, at this point, all three have a stable of strong core IPs that I see them wanting to utilize at launch to get their fanbase to transition to the new system right away. New IPs can come some months into the system's life.

KageMaru

I asked this in one of the other "next gen" threads but never got an answer. Can someone explain to me why a killer app AAA title is necessary at launch instead of just good games?

As long as the prices aren't insane, wouldn't a Wii-U, 720, and PS4 sell out at launch regardless if they had a Mario, Halo, or God of War at launch? I'm genuinely curious to read people's thoughts on this since I see it mentioned rather often.

pramath

Banned
I asked this in one of the other "next gen" threads but never got an answer. Can someone explain to me why a killer app AAA title is necessary at launch instead of just good games?

As long as the prices aren't insane, wouldn't a Wii-U, 720, and PS4 sell out at launch regardless if they had a Mario, Halo, or God of War at launch? I'm genuinely curious to read people's thoughts on this since I see it mentioned rather often.

People need a reason to buy a system. They won't just go out and spend $250 (assuming that's, say, the Wii U's launch price) for a Wii U even when it has no compelling games. They'll wait until that ONE killer game they want is really out on it. Same goes for Microsoft and Sony.

After the PS3 and 3DS's launch struggles, I think Sony and Nintendo especially realize the importance of launching with at least one killer app. There will definitely be at least one killer app from all three.

Judging by all previous playstation launches the ps4 will have a weak lineup initially with only 1 stand out title and it will be something we haven't heard of before.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Perfect Dark/Viva Pinata? Not happening EVER. Dead franchises, one for the better one for the worse.

Also F-Zero despite being my favorite nintendo franchise isn't going to come back anytime soon either.

Vita is not a PlayStation platform confirmed.

Vita seems to be the perfect example with soundshapes being the stand out.

Bullza2o

Looks good for everything, but would Sony fans want all of those four games all at once, in the beginning of the generation?

KageMaru

People need a reason to buy a system. They won't just go out and spend $250 (assuming that's, say, the Wii U's launch price) for a Wii U even when it has no compelling games. They'll wait until that ONE killer game they want is really out on it. Same goes for Microsoft and Sony.

After the PS3 and 3DS's launch struggles, I think Sony and Nintendo especially realize the importance of launching with at least one killer app. There will definitely be at least one killer app from all three.

Well I'm not saying that people will buy the console without good games, it just seems like a waste to launch your AAA killer app title at launch.

No one knew CoD2 was going to turn out the way it did with the 360's launch and I think the PS3 would have done much better if it wasn't for the price. The system had Resistance and CoD3 at launch. While they don't measure up with GT, GoW, or Uncharted, they were still good games for a launch line up.

pramath

Banned
Well I'm not saying that people will buy the console without good games, it just seems like a waste to launch your AAA killer app title at launch.

No one knew CoD2 was going to turn out the way it did with the 360's launch and I think the PS3 would have done much better if it wasn't for the price. The system had Resistance and CoD3 at launch.

Maybe so, but after the PS3 and 3DS launches, do you really think Sony and Nintendo will want to take any chances?
Have one killer AAA title at launch, to bring your faithful on board. The others can come later.

KageMaru

Maybe so, but after the PS3 and 3DS launches, do you really think Sony and Nintendo will want to take any chances?
Have one killer AAA title at launch, to bring your faithful on board. The others can come later.

The faithfuls will likely be there regardless. Again I saw the prices as more of an issue than the games, especially for the PS3.

guest1321

No halo 4 (definitely on the 360).

I would add Forza 5 for xbox 720.

I've got nothing for the other two consoles.

So are new IPs a last gen feature?
I think that we are going to see some old and new IP's showcased in the next gen launch. I'd imagine that most IP's will die off after their first release on next gen and then we will see a few grow through next gen. I could see Assassins Creed doing lasting a while.

Bgamer90

Banned
I wish that there was a possibility of a PGR5 for the next xbox. I really miss the series and played PGR3 a whole lot when I first got my 360.

:(

Takao

Banned
Vita seems to be the perfect example with soundshapes being the stand out.

This is SCE's western launch lineup:

Escape Plan
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super StarDust Delta
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
wipEout 2048

Pretty good lineup on their behalf IMO.

guest1321

I wish that there was a possibility of a PGR5 for the next xbox. I really miss the series and played PGR3 a whole lot when I first got my 360.

:(

I actually just picked up PGR4 (never played the series) in august. What a treat! it would be cool to see that come back have bizarre merge with T10.

pramath

Banned
This is SCE's western launch lineup:

Escape Plan
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Hustle Kings
Little Deviants
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super StarDust Delta
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
wipEout 2048

Pretty good lineup on their behalf IMO.

With WipEout and Uncharted being dem killer apps.
It's pretty clear the Vita launch lineup is incredible, especially for western audiences.

Bgamer90

Banned
I actually just picked up PGR4 (never played the series) in august. What a treat! it would be cool to see that come back have bizarre merge with T10.

While I thought that the races in which cars mixed in with motorcycles were pretty stupid, I still enjoyed PGR4 a lot. Great game.

I should go back to it but I have so many other games to play.

Proelite

Xbox Next:
Alan Wake 2
Samaritan
Gears
Forza 4
Fable 4
Kingdoms

PS4:
God of War 4
Uncharted 4
Killzone 4
New IP
New IP
New IP

BY2K

Membero Americo
Wii U:
Ubisoft Shovelware
Ubisoft Rushed Port

PS4:
Ubisoft Shovelware
Ubisoft Rushed Port

XBox Next:

Ubisoft Shovelware
Ubisoft Rushed Port

WiiU
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Darksiders 2
GTA 5

Xbox Next
Batman Arkham World
Battlefield 4
Darksiders 3
GTA 6

PS4
Batman Arkham World
Battlefield 4
Darksiders 3
GTA 6

DonMigs85

Wii U

Wave Race U
Wii Sports U
Pikmin U
Luigi's Mansion 2

PS4

Resistance 4
Ridge Racer 8
Syphon Filter
Jak and Daxter

Xbox 720

Halo 7
Azurik 2
Dead or Alive 6
Forza 5

PLAYSTATION 4
God of War 4
Resistance 4
Killzone 4
Uncharted 4
I'd love to see it, but I'm not sure more than a couple of blockbuster games at launch would be a particularly good idea, at least financially.

Some of those will cost tens of millions and whilst you could arguably recoup the money on one of them (with most launch buyers picking up a copy), you probably wouldn't on more than one.

Could argue that it's worth it for driving early adoption, but then they'll already likely be losing a ton of money at that point anyway, so possibly wouldn't want to make things worse.

Wii U: A New Super Mario Bros. (more like SMW), Wario Ware, Wii U Sports & Fit. A slightly updated Four Swords. A new Party IP from Nintendo (Who knows exactly?)

PS4: LittleBigPlanet 3 (Made by a new developer), Modnation Racers 2, a new generic brown shooter, Uncharted 4 (Not Naughty Dog), some new MotorStorm and Wipeout.

The new XBOX: A new Kinect Sports/Mals, Gears of War 4 (A new main character and planet to start off a new trilogy), Fable IV (Inspired by WW1)

... actually the launches will probably be worse.

Wii U
New Super Mario Bros
Some racing game
A minigame thing

Xbox
A shooter
Some racing game
A minigame thing

PS4
A shooter
Some racing game
A minigame thing