• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's say Konami decides to sell their IPs, which Devs would you give them to?

REDRZA MWS

• Kojima's Studio will attempt to buy Metal Gear, but Konami will sell it instead to the highest bidder. I'm thinking Best case scenario, Sony (and then give it to Kojima or Nauty Dog). Worst case scenario Microsoft or Activision.
  • Castlevania should be sold to Iga, but since he's unlikelly to have the money, I'm thinking Nintendo, Microsoft, or Some unexpected duble AA dev.
  • Silent Hill needs a scenario heavy studio that doubles in horror. I'm thinking Nauty Dog through Sony. Otherwise Supermassive Games or Ubisoft.
  • Suikoden will be picked by Nintendo, because whoever picks it will make a competitor to Fire Emblem. Otherwise Namco, Scenix or Capcom. Hoping for CD project red.
  • Yu-Gi-Oh will be picked by Sony or even Valve, unless Konami clearly avoids a specific platform, as they'll still be selling the cards.
  • BomberMan looks like a Namco, Capcom or even Sega game. Western devs won't attempt it after the Act Zero fiasco.
  • Goemon will be sold to some very Japanese company like Bandai-Namco, Arc System or Team Ninja.
  • Contra is an IP that has almost been forgoten, so I'm thinking them licensing it on the cheap on some indie to revive it. Otherwise... Taito? Sega?
  • Dance Dance and Beatmania will most likelly be picked by Activision if they want to revive the plastic instruments.
  • Pro-Evolution Socker will be picked by someone who wants to compete with Fifa, so I'm thinking Activision.
  • Gradius and Parodius are abandoned both as franchises and genres, and might be given to some indie first to revive them. Or Platinum, who tried recently a Shoot Em Up with Sol Cresta.
  • As for Bloody Roar. I hope for Ark System. Though it might be Microsoft to add it to their Fighter roster with Killer Instinct.
No thanks. I don’t want Neil Druckman anywhere near MGS. Yuck.

Hasn't Kojima flat out stated he's done with the metal gear franchise. What would be the point in buying the IP to do nothing with it?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
ganbare goemon 3..and then 4 came out almost 30 years ago for super famicom
Yeah... and? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was talking about the Mystical Ninja games which came out for the N64. Those never got another direct sequel.

Haven't checked the later games for psx/ps2 tho.

Belthazar

Metal Gear > KojiPro
Castlevania > Iga
Suikoden > Atlus
Silent Hill > Sony
Bomberman > Nintendo
Contra > Microsoft, I guess?

Reactions: Fbh

Belthazar

Wish Konami and Capcom merged like Square and Enix

Capcom can barely keep their own IP alive, what do you think they would even do with Konami's? I mean, they haven't released an actual Breath of Fire RPG since the PS1. Even Konami was better with Suikoden.

brian0057

Banned
Castlevania to Team Cherry.
Metal Gear to Sony (if death isn't an option).
Silent Hill to Capcom.

I don't care about the rest.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Give PES to Remedy Entertainment. They'd be so confused, like "what? Why us? We're not gonna do anything with this property." It would be funny.

Remedy could do great with Silent Hill. They'd also do great with Metal Gear Solid, but I think that property belongs with Kojima Productions.
I saw an early comment mentioning Castlevania going to From and that sounds like a fun idea, and a fun cop out too. I like the idea of the series' gameplay going in new directions. But of course, would From be going in a new direction? :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Knightime_X

I'd give devs who actively want to make a new game using whatever IP that works best for them, and interested in.
But it has to be a good fit and their track record in good standing.

Examples of a bad fit: From Software doing Gradius V or Mercury Steam doing castlevania.
Just....no.

Last edited:

Fbh

Castlevania probably to Moon Studios or Iga. I guess seeing a new 2D take by MercurySteam could be interesting as they have clearly improved a lot since Mirrors of Fate
Metal Gear: Kojipro, if not then I guess Sony so they can at least make some remakes or something with Bluepoint
Zone of the Enders: Maybe Respawn? And they can make a more mech heavy version of Titanfall from it

Give PES to Remedy Entertainment. They'd be so confused, like "what? Why us? We're not gonna do anything with this property." It would be funny.

They can give it the sci fi/mystery twists.
Like you are the star player of a team but every time your team looses a game one of your loved one disappears under mysterious and paranormal circumstances. So you need to train and improve your team to avoid loosing more games while you investigate what is going on when you are off the court. It's a mix of sports, football manager and exploration/investigation with hints of survival horror.

First game ends as you reach the Champions League finals, overnight you get a call that the team manager has vanished and they are bringing in an emergency replacement. As you walk into the locker room you meet the new manager for the first time......it's Alan Wake.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Castlevania should definitely go to Mercury Steam, Lords of Shadow have been awesome, and the musics... PERFECTION.

Contra goes to HouseMarque this is no-brainer.
Silent Hill goes to Kojima... errr Bluebox
Castlevania goes to Mercurysteam because lets be real they crushed it out of the park with that first game. I don't want a super slick witch time castlevania or for it to feel like DMC... mercury steam gave the game weight like when you evaded you would land hard and slide back a bit. Just had a meaty feel that felt really close to the classic titles.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Metal Gear - Kojima
Silent Hill - Capcom
Castlevania - Nintendo

Mercury Steam might have already had a go at Castlevania , maybe they get another shot or Next Level Games

KàIRóS

I'm just gonna say it, Castlevania to Team Ladybug, supervised by Igarashi, we already have an idea of how amazing that would be thanks to Deelit in Wonder Labyrinth.

Americanized or not, I always hoped they would make a Metal Gear franchise about young solid snakes adventures. I think Naughty Dog or Bend would be good for it. (with some consultation from Kojima of course)

IPs are worthless without the devs to develop them.

Metal Gear without Kojima? Hard pass, I really can't understand why anyone would do that.

The smart thing at this point would be for them to focus on remakes to at least get something out of those IPs.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Metal Gear and Silent Hill are dead, people need to move on...
So are all Konami owned IP’s. Which was the point of the entire thread. “IF” Konami decides to sell IP’s. It’s not like a new MGS or SH won’t sell, especially if Kojima is involved.

• Suikoden will be picked by Nintendo, because whoever picks it will make a competitor to Fire Emblem. Otherwise Namco, Scenix or Capcom. Hoping for CD project red.
I could see Nintendo wanting it, would suck for everyone else though. Only other one you listed that makes even slight sense is square, wtf would Namco or Capcom do with it? And fucking lol@ CD, where the fuck did you get that from???

Suikoden is, and always should be, a turned base jrpg. Atlus could probably do something cool with it.

Or just go to rabbit and bear studios since that's the suikoden folks anyways

KiteGr

I could see Nintendo wanting it, would suck for everyone else though. Only other one you listed that makes even slight sense is square, wtf would Namco or Capcom do with it? And fucking lol@ CD, where the fuck did you get that from???

Suikoden is, and always should be, a turned base jrpg. Atlus could probably do something cool with it.

Or just go to rabbit and bear studios since that's the suikoden folks anyways
Namco and Capcom had and have Jrpgs, they are big enough studios to afford buying a franchise, and would ad some variety to their repertoire. It's Squenix actually that feels like they had no need for it, as they have tons of Jrpgs under their name, and all they have to do is make some spinnoff "Dragon Quest Armies" and it would sell lile hotcakes. Others indeed could do it better, but thinking in a hypothetical scenario where Konami is selling their IPs, i'm thinking who could actually afford them. That's why I only gave dead franchises to indies.

As for CDPR, they are RPG masters and could do wonders with a franchise lile this, even if they end up "revolutionize" some aspects. So does Bioware, but I didn't mentioned them because it would be EA the ones who would had to do the buying, and I can't imagine them getting interested in any of those.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

Zone of the Enders to FromSoftware.

We all know them now for Souls games but they were the kings of Mecha games before that.

It’s a crime he’s not making MG games.
KojiPro for Metal Gear
Metal Gear -> Kojima Productions. 2nd choice Ubisoft Toronto who did Splinter Cell Blacklist
Metal Gear cannot be without Kojima.
has to go to Kojipro
100%. Any real mgs fan would refuse to acknowledge a mgs game that was developed by somebody else.

If Kojima takes Metal Gear he will shelve it forever. He does not want to work on that series anymore.

I would instead give Metal Gear to either the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio(Yakuza/Judgment Series) or Tango Gameworks as a good challenge for either of them to see what they could come up with.

Ansphn

Metal Gear - Kojima
Castlevania - From Software
Silent Hill - Kojima
Suikoden - Squaresoft
Contra - Bungie
Gradius - Housemarque
PES - The MLB the show developers.

Last edited:

TheBTL

Neo Member
To the people saying Castlevania should go to back to IGA. Why would you want to send it back the the guy who ran it into the ground?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Castlevania - From software or team cherry
MGS - Kojima productions
Silent Hill - Kojima productions
Gradius - This is a hard one. I can't think of that many prolific developers out there actively making 2d shootemups.
Contra - ID software. i wanna see a 3d FPS contra.
DDR, Beatmania IIDX, all of their other rhythm games - Sega
PES - can it entirely, sports games absolutely blow

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If Kojima takes Metal Gear he will shelve it forever. He does not want to work on that series anymore.

I would instead give Metal Gear to either the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio(Yakuza/Judgment Series) or Tango Gameworks as a good challenge for either of them to see what they could come up with.

Yeah, that might be true. So I say just don't make any more Metal Gear games. Maybe just remake the original trilogy.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
First I would give Silent Hill 1 remake to Bluepoint as a test of public interest and if successful then greenlit 2 and 3 remake.

yurinka

If a single company had to buy all of them I think the best fit would be Sony. Regarding devs:

MGS: Kojipro or Bend
Silent Hill: Bokeh or Kojipro
Castlevania: From Software or wherever Igarashi is
Contra: JoyMasher or Housemarque
Gradius: Locomalito or Housemarque
PES: Sony San Diego
Bomberman: difficult one. Maybe Team Asobi, Media Molecule, Hoursemarque

Castlevania to Nintendo, the Metroid and the vania in one place.
The best selling Castlevania ever and the best selling Metroid ever are made by the same studio: Mercury Steam

Last edited:
Top Bottom